Notices

Class Of March 2018 Support Thread - Part Two

Old 03-17-2018, 07:09 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

let me preface - I'm not in AA.

Finding a sponsor who thinks that AA is, and should be, only about alcohol is not impossible - I've seen it here on SR.

I'm sure many folks take advantage of that - maybe not deliberately or even consciously, but again - it happens.

Guys like me who've been around on different merry go rounds over the years kinda get to learn that the problem is not really the substance ingested though, but the person ingesting it.

It's not really about alcohol vs pot - it's about why am I fighting so hard not to give this up?

Its true there are many sponsors who won't take folks on because they're on prescription meds or antidepressants or whatever.

Sponsors are human too & make all kinds of judgement calls.

You can look at this like that if you feel its valid

But there's also the possibility you have a sponsor right now who is looking out for your welfare.

Tough call I know - but no matter what you decide, I'll try my best to help

D
Old 03-17-2018, 07:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hello. Doing ok.

GoodbyeE- seems to me you need a sponsor who is a little less militant. So you’re supposed to stop both at the same time? I’ll tell you something, I bet you anything as you gain real time the smoking will drop off. You’ll just find it gross. Also how many people stand outside meetings sucking down cigarettes? Less now I guess, but even 10 years ago wow. That’s where the real therapy happened, sharing a smoke with a good dude and talking things out.

Smoking is horrible for you and everything feeds everything else. Smoke pot? Need some drinks. Have a drink, need a smoke. And the reverse. For me anyway. But one thing at a time man ya know?

You’ll find what you need. Great job so far!! And you can do it!!

I have not been doing that great. My cold is gone. Wow! Brutal. It didn’t prevent drinking. I’ve got a list of stuff to do. Life coach meeting should be soon.

My OCD and ruminating have been high. I doubt everything and change my mind and blow everything out of proportion in my mind. I don’t have to wash my hands or do ritualistic things to feel ok, it manifests in obsessing over things. Drinkin doesn’t help it.

10:30 in New England. Goodnight.

Viper
Old 03-17-2018, 09:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee
You know you advice is always appreciated it’s worth more then money because it’s life saving and changing!!! I cant express how much you have help change my life and I will say everyone else too!!!! I’ve had me endless day1s and mishaps but I’m not blacking out drinking everyday or smoking it’s been a slow bumpy dirt road for me but slow and steady and it will eventually start to pave it’s self it’s 12:30 am and still sober oooooooo yea!!!!! Everyone is all messed up looking awful and I’m sitting here thinking I’m awaking up feeling like a million bucks
About the moon rock thing I’m still like a kid in a candy store when it comes to news alcohol drinks or different pots and the new stuff they are coming out with are dangerous!!!I know pot is harmful thanks to it my lovely lungs are damaged I still miss it a lot like alcohol and it sucks because the dangers are just as bad but at the end of the day a clear head and giving heart is priceless and exactly we’re everyone should be!!! Thanks again
Take care y’all
Old 03-17-2018, 10:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Ever wake in the morning it st 1:12 with the terrible feeling that you were drinking the previous ‘night’ before you went to sleep?

Uggghh. I think I’m of my rocker because of my B12 shot today. ZZOOOMMM!!! Maybe I got there with levels.

hot, jittery, gonna take a chill pill.

Brunch in the morning to celebrate ‘The Birtgdays.’ Me, my mom, my brother and nephew all born within a week’s time. I dread going anywhere but it should be pretty awesome (if one is feeling good). At least I won’t have trouble making it at 11am.

Viper
Old 03-18-2018, 01:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Just wanted to thank everyone for your support. I made it through St. Patrick's day, which was huge considering the way my AV was. Came really close to convincing me several times, but I am pleased to say, I am now starting day 6! Yay! ...Nobody ever says, "I wish I got drunk yesterday," am I right??
I kept thinking about coming back here and confessing to another day 1 and the guilt and sense of defeat I would be feeling within myself. My self efficacy wouldn't have taken that blow very well and I can't bear to keep giving up on myself. I've done that for way too long. That sense of hopelessness has the potential to keep you away for a very long time and all it takes is that, as AV says, "one innocent drink." I really don't want to go back there. I know too well by now how that ends if I am honest with myself.

I started using this ap called My Effectiveness which basically uses the "7 habits of highly effective people" to help you lay out your priorities and things that you need to do and focus on. Really helps put things in perspective. I highly recommend it if you're into that kind of thing. It has a little bit of a learning curve, but totally worth the effort.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Start of day 6 here and coming to the end of my first sober weekend in a while. I'm off tomorrow too so it's a nice long break.
Feeling great, my sleep is definitely improving day by day and it's really nice to wake up feeling that I've slept, not just blacked out.
This time last week I'd have woken up after drinking a full bottle of gin. I'd also have scoffed a pizza before going to bed so I didn't wake up hungry.....that's the thing, when drinking the body puts the priority being getting rid of alcohol as it's a poison and not digestion. So not only did I wake up still tired, but I felt rough with added headache, stomach ache,etc.
Just had breakfast, got a plan for today too. Lots to do.
I've been reading a lot of posts on here too. Thanks for the support too. I think this time is different since financially I've really hit rock bottom and I know it's my own fault due to drinking. My trigger is payday and I'm on day 6 but I have another 8days of sobriety before payday so I'm confident with two weeks sobriety and other financial commitments to adhere to, that I can remain strong.
I'm actually really enjoying chalking up the days. My house looks better, I feel better. I'm a lot more calmer. I know I've a short fuse but I've not snapped in the past 6days so that is good too.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:59 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NotOnlyMe View Post
Just wanted to thank everyone for your support. I made it through St. Patrick's day, which was huge considering the way my AV was. Came really close to convincing me several times, but I am pleased to say, I am now starting day 6! Yay! ...Nobody ever says, "I wish I got drunk yesterday," am I right??
I kept thinking about coming back here and confessing to another day 1 and the guilt and sense of defeat I would be feeling within myself. My self efficacy wouldn't have taken that blow very well and I can't bear to keep giving up on myself. I've done that for way too long. That sense of hopelessness has the potential to keep you away for a very long time and all it takes is that, as AV says, "one innocent drink." I really don't want to go back there. I know too well by now how that ends if I am honest with myself.

I started using this ap called My Effectiveness which basically uses the "7 habits of highly effective people" to help you lay out your priorities and things that you need to do and focus on. Really helps put things in perspective. I highly recommend it if you're into that kind of thing. It has a little bit of a learning curve, but totally worth the effort.
I am exactly in the same boat, except that I am on a day 5. Had a slight wobble last night thinking about a possible drink, but playing it forward and also knowing that I would have to come here and say that I failed again- and the wobble was gone in a flash!
I will check this app you are using- I really need to organise my day to day better and get some long overdue stuff done - especially finalising my job application ASAP, as the deadline is this Wednesday, and I know roughly what to write- I just need to do it. Have a great day everyone
Old 03-18-2018, 03:07 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Its true there are many sponsors who won't take folks on because they're on prescription meds or antidepressants or whatever.
I never even considered this before. I am currently on antidepressants. Never considered it to be the same in the slightest since it's a prescribed medication and I'm not abusing it. Not that it is working very well for me, but I was considering switching meds. Something to think about I guess.

mako - Good luck on your job application!
Old 03-18-2018, 05:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Good morning. Glad to be joining Class of March 2018. Happy to say I made it through St. Pats with just a few of the "will I really never drink again" thoughts. On to day 6. Happy to be awake, no hangover, good cup of coffee, birds chirping, sun out, cool morning, ready for today. Really makes me feel good to reflect on how beautiful life and this world is without alcohol being a part of it and taking this all away. Wouldn't give this feeling up for any cheap buzz.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:50 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NotOnlyMe View Post
Nobody ever says, "I wish I got drunk yesterday," am I right??
So true! I really really like this. Gonna add it to my list of reminders for when I feel wobbly.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:53 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zombie79 View Post
Start of day 6 here and coming to the end of my first sober weekend in a while. I'm off tomorrow too so it's a nice long break.
Feeling great, my sleep is definitely improving day by day and it's really nice to wake up feeling that I've slept, not just blacked out.
This time last week I'd have woken up after drinking a full bottle of gin. I'd also have scoffed a pizza before going to bed so I didn't wake up hungry.....that's the thing, when drinking the body puts the priority being getting rid of alcohol as it's a poison and not digestion. So not only did I wake up still tired, but I felt rough with added headache, stomach ache,etc.
Just had breakfast, got a plan for today too. Lots to do.
I've been reading a lot of posts on here too. Thanks for the support too. I think this time is different since financially I've really hit rock bottom and I know it's my own fault due to drinking. My trigger is payday and I'm on day 6 but I have another 8days of sobriety before payday so I'm confident with two weeks sobriety and other financial commitments to adhere to, that I can remain strong.
I'm actually really enjoying chalking up the days. My house looks better, I feel better. I'm a lot more calmer. I know I've a short fuse but I've not snapped in the past 6days so that is good too.
Day 6 here too, congrats!
Old 03-18-2018, 06:14 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Day 9 starting here.

Had a friend over last night who brought a bottle of wine. She knows I am not drinking but I told her that she could, it wouldn’t bother me and it didn’t. She drank less than half a glass. Have to wonder just how people can do that. I would have had half the bottle, well, probably the entire bottle. I drank flavored seltzer in a pretty glass and it was just fine.

Packing for my business trip this week. Getting some nice decaf teas to take with me to have in my hotel room at night. I have no desire to drink.

Happy to wake up bright and early and as Zombie said, nice to know you had real sleep and not a black out or pass out. Pete - I like the taste of a good cup of coffee too and am reminded that when hungover, I can’t even drink coffee in the morning, it makes me gag.

Everyone have a great day.

LHW
Old 03-18-2018, 08:46 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good morning folks. I'm on day 12. I hope everyone's weekend's been going well.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:14 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Well I know my trigger is having the available cash to buy alcohol. Today I ended up selling some records that have been sitting in a box for years. I got £50.
Now had this been last week, I'd have been dancing straight to the off licence and buying whatever I wanted.
Today, I went to marks and Spencers- I bought fresh fruit and veg and meat. I got near home and got myself an 8pack of diet coke. I'm really happy that the trigger didn't own me. At no point did I even craze alcohol. The longer I'm off it, the more I'd worry about how bad the hangover would be!
So tonight I'll be making myself a really nice dinner and relaxing with a diet coke! Not a bad end at all to a Sunday:-)
Old 03-18-2018, 10:36 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Day 6 finishing ! Happy to be going to bed sobor xx
Old 03-18-2018, 10:42 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
South Asian

Hello March class. Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I am 44 days sober. But having some dangerous thoughts. Like, what if I drink for just three days? Or even two and a half? Then stop. I am joining this Class to try and keep myself accountable. I am trying hard not to give in.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:31 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Just want to share this with y’all
Monday: everyday is a fresh start
Tuesday: the best view comes after the hardest climb
Wednesday: a little progress each day adds up to big results
Thursday: work hard in silence let success make the noise
Friday: when you feel like quitting think about why you started
Saturday: don’t ruin a good today by thinking about a bad yesterday let it go
Sunday: you only fail when you stop trying
Have a good week!!!!
Old 03-18-2018, 02:31 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Horatio48 View Post
Hello March class. Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I am 44 days sober. But having some dangerous thoughts. Like, what if I drink for just three days? Or even two and a half? Then stop. I am joining this Class to try and keep myself accountable. I am trying hard not to give in.
I'm on day 6 but even at 6, the idea of drinking and going back to day 1 is just a total no-no. I honestly think at 44days, just keep going with a good thing:-)
Old 03-18-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi all, just checking in to say hi. Hope everyone had a nice weekend. I had a pretty good, relaxing weekend with the family.

Welcome to everyone new! Nichole, thanks for the quotes!

Hope you all have a good upcoming week.

JT
Old 03-18-2018, 03:37 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Fell off