Notices

One Year & Over Part 59

Old 03-15-2018, 04:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

One Year & Over Part 59

last part here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...t-58-a-20.html (One Year & Over Part 58)

D
Old 03-15-2018, 05:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi overs thanks Dee
Old 03-15-2018, 05:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Itchy, I liked the Stephen Hawkings video.

I downloaded a book from Amazon, psychological thriller. Will be starting it later tonight. Hopefully it will keep me on the edge of my seat.

Have a good Thursday overs
Old 03-15-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and thank you D

I'm so sorry to hear that things have been rough dearest toots....I must go and read COM13.

Sending so much love to all of the Overs.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just got back from exercise. Well, kinda like exercise. I rode a bike and did some machines where you lift your legs and resist the weight and the same with your arms and it's a gym for the older people. and they play old songs so, I fit right in. ha ha ---back to having a few disagreements with hubby again so, what ever I did sure felt good. If you get my drift.
Do have a good day everyone !
Babs
Old 03-15-2018, 01:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

PJ,
Thanks, COM Means Class of March. What's the number. I guess I am at a disadvantage because I go nowhere but here anymore. I do provide links and excerpts when I refer to something outside this thread. Could you guys do that too? I'd be happy to click a link, and I would hazard a guess that I am not the only one feeling like everyone is talking in code. I'm not whining, just asking. If it's worth a few lines here, maybe also worth a link. Because I will be honest with all here. I will not spend a half hour searching for the posts referenced when they are not worth the second it takes to copy and paste the links. If anyone needs help on how to copy and paste links just say the word. Here I have been wondering why Toots has been scarce here and why all the references to other forums and threads.

Toots,
Whatever is going on I hope you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. You have made my day many times with your wit and support. But I am sorry I have tried once to find the comments you referred to, apparently also in COM which I now know is Class of March. It is like me telling you I live in the Shreveport area as directions to my house. Guys I care. I don't go to new posts, just my posts here and my friends in Overs. I don't read everywhere here. I barely have time for overs.

Overs please don't take offense when I don't know what you are talking about. If I refer to the pages I am answering today, on the other thread, I can post a link:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post6822480 (One Year & Over Part 58)

PJ,
Glad you are feeling better. Maslow is a good schema to use. I used it a lot in military leadership classes and in my sections on creating a safe space for our subordinates to work in where every day is NOT "you bet your career day!"
I think you have survival done and are here on the forums and have actually achieved all the way up to esteem. Here for the others is the hierarchy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow...archy_of_needs

PJ, you need to understand that the hierarchy is a dynamic not a static. You can be on step 4 and get knocked down to survival if one becomes homeless. So once achieved they are let go as easily too. Also remember that self-actualization isn't always defined as good or bad. Some very bad people in history were fully self-actualized. But I see the hierarchy as a good referent and goal setting tool. Most folks run around battling windmills simply because they have not defined the problem. Then they keep trying to resolve the symptoms never the causative. If one has too little money the problem is not enough money. Not your current income per se. One addicted to $100k of Coke a year, and employed for $50k a year, may think their problem is not earning enough money. Until they define the problem using a problem solving formal technique. Good tool PJ, thanks for the reminder.

Babs,
I hope you feel better today. I'm glad you found the Hawking references enjoyable. His many videos on YouTube are simply amazing. I consider it impossible to say his science was political as he was never political. Just a brilliant scientist who held the world's attention, from a paralyzed state in a wheelchair. He inspires me, always has. I have issues with the science deniers with no education in the field they choose call fake, no lab, no peer reviewed work of their own, yet claiming to know enough to disparage real science. I simply ask them to jump off a tall building and show me the errors of the laws of gravity. You can't deny the physics any more than we can deny the physics of a nuke, if one is dropped on us by a madman. Dang if that science doesn't work! Despite his medical deficits, he had a remarkable sense of humor about his condition, the world, and his work. He is missed, but lives on in his work and videos.

PJ doormats are good.

Toots,
I'm sorry you are having a rough patch. I don't know where COM 13 is or what page. I now know it means Class Of March. I just did a search on "Class Of March 13 and got this:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/search...ss+Of+March+13
I hope whatever it is dear Toots, that you can work your way out of it. I tried, but I really can't go through every one of the search results and read each until I figure out which and where????

FBL,
That reminds me, if I didn't mention it your video was well done and a great way to be here without the expense.

Star,
Good to see you in the last thread too!

Sassy,
YW! Glad you liked the links and the Pics. I am about to move to where I will need to crank up a snowblower regularly. Neither of us can make do with a condo or apartment. Like our parents we will stay home. My wife still drinks but is keeping to the boundaries I set. She used to make every night a misery as she decided to start in on her imagined sleights and any shortcomings she imagined I had. I would talk to her the next day but as many here may remember I had a come to Jesus meeting with her and made it clear years ago that we would like a secure pain free peaceful life since that is what I sow, even when I drank. So we are aligned in getting back up North. I envy you guys the snow that have it.

Thanks Dee for the new thread!

Mags,
Glad you liked the "Galaxy" song from Monty Python's Flying Circus. I didn't know he did that cover of it until yesterday. Enjoy the book. Tell us the title if it turns to be a good read.

Suze!
Good to see you. Looks like I am the only one who doesn't know where COM 13 is.

Babs,
Glad today was better for you. Getting out gives perspective. Even if it is only how good you are yourself. Detachment is my methodology when ugly rears its head.

OK Caught up!

I have today and maybe tomorrow to get my first spring cleanup and mowing, mulching all the leaves and starting a burn pile going before the rains predicted for the weekends. Every year it gets harder to get back in shape from sitting a lot in winter. If I can get my legs back a bit since my back and neck are fixed, maybe me and my Significant Harassment will get some skiing in during the winter days. I am becoming very aware that if you don't use it, you lose it. PJ you're my inspiration to keep plugging at rehab and activity. And to never take for granted the smallest of life's favors and beauty.

I'm off to see if it is dry enough to mow.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes Itch, I know about the dynamics of stuff. I often remind people of this being true with Kubler -Ross's stages of grieving. Not linear or 2 dimensional.
Oh well, as you put it so eloquently, I will have to do some learnin' on how to connect links.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Great post Itchy!

I am glad that you and your SH, as you call her, have reached an agreement with her drinking. I am fortunate that my wife seldom drank at home, and has completely stopped since I quit. I admire the strength of folks whom spouses still reach for liquid heaven each night whist we are riding the sober train.

Colorado sounds like a fantastic place to move. My wife and I have kicked around the idea of moving west at some point, as much for the non weather reasons that you have mentioned. My state was characterized as Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, with Alabama in the middle by James Carville and the small mindedness of state politics here is ridiculous. We both have rather elderly parents here so that will preclude any action on our part for a good spell, but I can always dream. How is the economic climate in Colorado?

Toots, sorry things are not going well. Hugs.

Have a good day all!
Old 03-15-2018, 11:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How would I describe the Aust. I have seen? Changes very quickly, but is very, very old. Brutal, beautiful (esp at dawn and dusk), Very dry and there are 1000 different colours- in the brown's and ochres. Timeless. Will be here long after humans are a footnote.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Sassy, I think you have a right to feel smug. We have rain again.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks, Andy :-)

Itchy, I think you are referring to class of March 2013. There are a number of us here on Overs and we still have a an active thread 5 years later. Some of us took longer to stay sober than others. Toots is one of our charter members, also Babs and Gilmer. PJ joined us for awhile, too.

Gilmer, speaking of Marchers, congrats on 4 years and 4 months!

Have a happy POETS Day!
Old 03-16-2018, 04:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks, Sass! You have a happy POETS day, too!
Old 03-16-2018, 06:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sassy, PJ just read your above and posted on COM13. Thanks.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Re-Member

PJ,
Kewl. PJ I went through the last week's worth of posts over on COM 16 part 67 (link: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...part-67-a.html (Class of March 2016 part 67) )and could find no posts there about the medical journal details etc. Your home class group COM16 part 67 thread has a lot of folks having trouble staying sober but they are hanging in there and your guys do a great job of supporting them.

I got active in the Undies when Least and Dee were forming the Overs, and I was just a few months shy of a year myself. So they must have formed it in Spring or summer 2010.

My favorite author Anon once said: "Good luck is the lazy man's estimate of a hard working man's success."
Anon.

"Sobriety isn't a matter of luck. Sobriety's only a matter of pluck."
Itchy

I needed AA for my first three months as I found that SR was better for me in between the weekly meetings. But I needed that face to face, here, my individual counseling and group counseling when I was first sober.

As we all know the years slip past and seem to accelerate where we suddenly go from being amazed at 24 hours sober, to proud shock at one month and then thinking it just might be for good if we choose that. I chose sobriety and came back and passed on support in Newcomers thread for several years, hung out at Whiners and another thread about hands across the ocean. Now "Overs" is my only online recovery thread.
PJ, I did read your post on COM 13.

Toots,
I posted on COM 13 too. I am sorry for your loss and husband's family's loss. I hope the insurance gets their act straight and simplifies your claims process. Remember what your countryman said:
"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
JL

If anyone is having issues copying and pasting links here is a page that covers several ways from different authors:
https://www.bing.com/search?q=How+to...ZI&form=MOZLBR

Star, Thanks!
SH=Significant Harassment! We traveled the world and all of the US States, Mexico, Colombia, B.C. and Alberta Canada, Europe everywhere while being assigned to a base in Germany, and even did Hurghada Egypt for a week of scuba diving the Red Sea, doing the Temple of Luxor, and crossing the Nile by boat and visiting the valley of the kings and King Tut in person. I spent my teen years in Connecticut and partied hard in New York when the drinking age was 18 there. We traveled everywhere West of the Mississippi for seven years in a 35 foot HitchHiker RV finally visiting the Alamo despite living there while assigned to Lackland AFB, and the Grand Canyon, all of the West coast and Alaska for a year. I was assigned to the US Air Force Academy for three years teaching there so we know Colorado weather and our son knows the current Rocky Mountain high culture. (Not cannabis, the natural kind) Just spend a week skiing there and you'll be hooked. Driving around you find places like Jefferson State Park for fly fishing below and big trout with salmon eggs up at the alpine lake there. In summer the Rocky Mountain ski slopes become hiking grandeur many miss and should not.

Star we think much alike. You should visit. Just remember, no matter where you go, you always bring yourself along too. People are nice everywhere, some are not. Check this out: https://realestate.usnews.com/real-e...-2017?slide=16 Denver is number 11 of 25.
Here they break it down differently: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.51fa33267fd8 We are moving to Colorado Springs an hour from Denver, and a bit cheaper house prices than Denver, which we found out to be the top city on the second list. But those give you an idea of which has the best jobs/economy.
PJ,
I’d love to see Australia one day.
Sassy,
I found everybody. Thanks, I think it is because 8 years ago my class of all bailed out so nothing much there to read. My last message went unanswered for months. I have not checked it in years so didn’t know folks were hanging in the class threads. That makes for no limits implied or real on sobriety time. I like that idea.
Gil!
I’ll second Sassy’s congrats!

NO grass cutting yet, still too wet.

Have a great weekend Overs!
Old 03-16-2018, 05:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Oops! Star I forgot to end that diatribe about all the places we have been and meant to sum up, that out of them all, we had some seasonal favorites like Alaska in Summer and San Diego for seaside perfect year round temps. Alaska in winter and the unreal cost of seaside housing in San Diego rules them out. With the crazy rising seas and weather we no longer want to be on a coastline and for winter and summer, healthy air and gorgeous mountains and lakes Colorado Springs has always been a favorite. Remember though that we are retired military. We prefer to be near a base for prescriptions and the Commissary/Legal Office/free gyms and pools, and other base services that are no charge to retirees. We use our own civilian doctors and hospitals these days. We have been here 15 years and our next house will likely be our last as in 15 years I'll be 80 years young and likely not interested in cutting any grass. So based on all our exhaustive research, we have decided that when the time comes, we're moving in with Sassy!
Old 03-16-2018, 07:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've been to a lot of places. Most are okay. I prefer a place with mountains. When I go to places that are too flat I get nervous.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

Congratulations Gilmer on 4 years and 4 months.

Have a good weekend overs. x
Old 03-17-2018, 01:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Congratulations Gilmer.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Congratulations Gilmer.

We have a few snow flakes falling.

Have a good day everyone.