Notices

Class of January Support Thread 2018 Part 5

Old 03-08-2018, 04:41 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hey class. Just a quick check in before I head to a meeting. Thursday nights are a traditions meeting and I really enjoy the smaller crowd. Thank you for helping me cope through cravings yesterday. I’m glad to say today is Day 49.

Congrats to Palmer on 81 days and Milly on 55 and NewChapter, NumbLady, UBNT, Scotty, and everyone else for your progress!! I love reading about moving speeches, pet whoas and joys, and more comfortable social situations. Thank you!

Stay strong.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:03 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi there! Driving by quickly on the phone. Physical early tomorrow morning. Work blowing up. But still sober. sleep tight all.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:26 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Komplex, congrats on making it through a rough spot...I've been there! Today must be day 50.

NewChapter, I love your commitment and ideas about sobriety. I think it's good for us to periodically reconsider our approach and look at the situation with renewed energy, even (especially?) when we are feeling drained and pessimistic.

Milly, I love that you went out dancing! That is something I definitely cannot imagine doing while sober(but I avoid being the center of attention at all costs). That must have been so freeing and fun. I'm sorry to hear that your GI issues are still bothering you, I really hope you get some better answers soon.

Numblady, thanks for driving by, and good luck with your physical and work today!

Day 82. I ended up having a better day yesterday, even though I didn't use the treadmill because we had company for dinner. It was a nice time, despite feeling very tired (not sure if I'm coming down with a cold, or if it's just a part of early recovery). In any case, I'm definitely sleeping in tomorrow!

My diet yesterday was better, which is probably related to my mood...more vegetables and protein, and less sugar. I did drink 2 Diet Cokes, which I've been trying to avoid, but I let myself off the hook for that one. I think I need to start going to sleep earlier during the week, so I am not so tired...I go to bed, but then read and waste time on the internet instead of getting the sleep I need.

I have a party tonight that I'm a bit anxious about, not related to drinking, but just being around a lot of people I don't know and having to make small talk (which I hate). However, it shouldn't be too bad and I will be home in bed before I know it.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:02 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone!

I have found that my diet directly affects the way I feel as well Palmer.
I forgot to check in yesterday. I’ve been so wrapped up with finding a house. Its taking up most of my time. My mom is selling her house as well so i have been helping her also.
Anyways happy Friday to all. It’s kite day at my kids school and then spring break next week. I’m looking forward to having some free time hopefully 😊
Old 03-09-2018, 04:09 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Sunflower, you're selling your house AND helping your mom? Talk about stress...I really hope you get some free time soon, too! xo
Old 03-09-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflower79 View Post
Good morning everyone!

I have found that my diet directly affects the way I feel as well Palmer.
I forgot to check in yesterday. I’ve been so wrapped up with finding a house. Its taking up most of my time. My mom is selling her house as well so i have been helping her also.
Anyways happy Friday to all. It’s kite day at my kids school and then spring break next week. I’m looking forward to having some free time hopefully 😊

Happy Friday Sunflower!!
Old 03-09-2018, 05:41 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hey 👋🏻 Komplex
Old 03-09-2018, 02:36 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I think I see tumbleweeds rolling through this thread! I hope everyone is having a good day. I'm headed out to this party soon, and dreading it, but I'll be fine once I get there (as usual).
Old 03-09-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Good Evening Class,

Just a ‘drive-by’ check in for me today unfortunately, I was up early this morning to get some work done before setting off for our trip! The drive wasn’t too bad and though it took some time to switch off from work once we got here, we’ve just had a lovely dinner and are back in the room now watching some TV and relaxing.

It will probably just be ‘drive-by’ check ins for me this weekend whilst away, but I will be reading all your posts and thinking of you, my sober buddies!

@Numblady: Hope you have a lovely trip, too!

I hope everyone has a sober plan for the weekend ahead. Peace and light, Class.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:24 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Palmer- Good luck at your party. Let us know how it goes.

Day 56 for me. I won't be drinking tonight at the open bar board meeting tonight.

So I poured cheap wine in plastic cups last night at the fundraiser/ fashion show. It was no big deal (as I suspected). I was running late to the event so a friend picked me up to take me (I had planned to walk. It was only a mile from my home). I took a backpack with my walking shoes and extra gloves, etc . . . so I could make a quick get away if necessary. Plus I planned to walk home regardless.

The event went well. Some of the ladies were a little tipsy but they didn't drink much. Lightweights, I suspect.

At the end of the event something really weird and scary happened.

A couple of the women said they wanted to grab some apps and have another glass of wine at a local upscale bar. My friend was going too and she beggggged me to join them. I said "no" but she kept begging me. And . . . I was really, really hungry because I had missed dinner. She kept saying I would be able to find something on the bar app menu to eat, which seemed true.

So against my better judgement I said I would go along. It was a place right next door. I figured I would check the menu and if there wasn't anything for me, high tail it home.

But when I walked outside, the women were getting in cars and they were motioning for me to climb in the back of one. And I just sort freaked - cause I thought we were going next door so it didn't make sense that we were getting in cars. I broke out in a cold sweat and screamed "I changed my mind" and ran back into the building we had just exited.

Inside I calmed down and put switched to my walking shoes. I even took a few minutes to google SR to read a few posts. I felt like these women had tried to kidnap me or something - lol. It was definitely a "fight or flight" response.

I soon figured out, once I calmed down, it was just a miscommunication that was my fault. I had thought they meant the place next door, but then I recalled one women had mentioned a different upscale bar place just down the street a couple of blocks. Sure enough I passed by the other establishment walking home and their cars were there.

It was just so odd, but I think I get it. I may seem somewhat cavalier about being around alcohol on this board at times, but deep down, I really do have to process things ahead of time and have a strategy in place in order to feel comfortable.

It's good to know that when I didn't, my body naturally fought for sobriety. I realize I was lucky it did this time and that I can't count on that always being the response.

It was just so weird. I'm not prone to anxiety or panic attacks. It was all very out of character.

Anyway . . . and then this morning . . . I went to a 5:30 a.m. spinning class. The dude next to me reeked of alcohol. The more he'd sweat the more he reeked. Dear.LORD I just about died. I swear I'm STILL feel sick from smelling him. Yuck.

I'm not judging. . . oh no . . . can't. That was me not that long ago. I can so imagine old me thinking "I don't have a problem. Would a true alcoholic get up this early to spin? I don't think so!"

Looking forward to a sober, productive, happy weekend. Hope you all are too!!
Old 03-09-2018, 06:47 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

Freak out or not I think you made the right choice Milly

D
Old 03-09-2018, 07:36 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Sorry to be doing another quick drive by. Can barely hold my eyes open and have early flight. Overpacked. Underprepared. What could possibly go wrong, right?

Anyhow had very uplifting physical. Well, except the part where I stepped on the scale. that was pretty much as depressing as ever. But other than that clean bill of health. The PA said my liver was "smooth and the right size." I mean she volunteered this without my asking! It was a great way to start the day.

I am thinking of you all and will be checking in as I can. Take good care sober buddies!
Old 03-09-2018, 07:47 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a good trip

D
Old 03-09-2018, 10:48 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Also a drive by, you guys and this class is so important to me. I read everything and hope to catch up properly soon.

All is good here, just away from the screen a lot which is no bad thing.

Have a great sober weekend everyone.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:10 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Good morning. Finally have a contract on a house we both love!!!
So much to do and I can’t even imagine adding drinking into the equation. How I ever did anything while drinking is crazy . So grateful to be sober.
Keep at it classmates!!! We are racking up some amazing sober time. 💪🏻👊🏻
Old 03-10-2018, 05:11 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PalmerSage View Post
Sunflower, you're selling your house AND helping your mom? Talk about stress...I really hope you get some free time soon, too! xo

I know right??!!
Old 03-10-2018, 05:36 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Sunflower hooray!!!

Just cruising through before we board our plane. Grateful to not be hungover for early wake up. That always hurt a lot.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:28 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Milly, isn't it crazy how our intuition kicks in? I was totally thinking of that scene from the movie Goodfellas, when Robert De Niro was trying to lure Karen into a shady place to "pick out dresses," but he was going to whack her, and she knew! Anyway, I'm glad you beat it out of there even though your friends weren't trying to trick you.

Sunflower, I'm so happy that you found a house you love! Now you can be excited in addition to stressed, right?

NewChapter, I hope you're having fun, and can continue to unplug and relax a bit!

Numblady, that's great news about your physical. Even though it sucks to gain weight (from one SLB to another), think about how much easier it is to lose weight than repair liver damage, or god knows what else we did to ourselves while drinking. I hope you have a calm, enjoyable, trip.

Where are ubntubnt and shell77?

Day 83. I'm coming down with a cold, I swear my immunity took a hit when I stopped drinking, but it's great that I am no longer masking and worsening health issues anymore.

I have a nice weekend planned, possibly a trip to the spa today and spending time with close friends and family tonight. Last night's party was fine, pretty boring but didn't last that long. I will make sure that I get on the treadmill today, it is more about the ritual and stress relief than any kind of fitness at this point. I did look at scales when I was in the store yesterday, but reminded myself that I was not going to focus on weight loss until 90 days...but that is a week from today! I'm actually looking forward to feeling like I have more control over my health, and at the same time I need to make sure that I don't deprive myself too much. However, there is definitely a middle ground between 1,000 cookies per day and 0.

Last edited by PalmerSage; 03-10-2018 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-10-2018, 06:53 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi All,

‘Drive-by’ again for me. I had a lie-in this morning which was really nice and definitely something I needed.

@Milly: Well done for prioritizing sobriety in a tricky, ad hoc situation. I think I’m early sobriety, preparation is key and therefore many of us depend on that preparation to further our success and dedication to sobriety, so when something unforeseen happens out of our control, we react a little like a deer in headlights as it’s still new territory for us and the variables can be a bit fear and panic inducing at this stage. I think this is all a time thing, and as we get further along in our sober journeys, we’ll acquire more tools to be better equipped to deal with these situations. For now though, freak out or not, your instincts were to get you out of that situation and protect your sobriety at all costs, and to process the situation later. I think you can take that as a win! Also, WELL DONE on the 5.30am spinning class. I’m hoping I can reestablish my fitness regime from Monday.

@Numblady: Have a safe flight and I hope you have a wonderful trip! And I’m so glad that you got great news in your physical - don’t worry to much about weight for now. Focus on the immense positives. I think you, @Milly, @PalmerSage and I are all in the same boat re: weight struggles right now.

@Sunflower: Congratulations! So happy you’ve found a house you love.

@Scotty: Happy you stopped by! Even ‘drive-bys’ are valuable and uplifting!

@PalmerSage: Congratulations on 83 Days! Enjoy your spa day and have a lovely weekend with friends and family - and well done on fitting that exercise in!

Hope everyone else is doing well and sorry to anyone I’ve missed!
Old 03-11-2018, 04:02 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Numblady View Post
Sunflower hooray!!!

Just cruising through before we board our plane. Grateful to not be hungover for early wake up. That always hurt a lot.
Enjoy your trip!