Notices

24Hour Recovery Connections Part 351

Old 02-18-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
I will not wish you luck, SFL, but my thoughts are with you. Perhaps I am being too silly, but you and I and all here- do not rely on luck. You have got this far, with changing your thinking- by working hard at it. Change only comes with effort- so not luck, but you are in my prayers and I wish you well.
Some one I know recently told me I was 'lucky' to get the unit I now have. I replied in, probably a tarty voice, that luck had nothing to do with it- I worked hard and show diivdends for it.
Same goes for you.
I started yoga last week- it is quite tiring- all the stretching, especial of the scarred bit (from burns), but I actually enjoy it.
I know what you mean- I think I actually wrote "wish me luck" automatically, not intentionally. I do believe in some luck but to me it's more like this:

You create an intention or use certain "lucky" things in order to bring good fortune to you. So you do have to act physically or mentally to bring on the "luck." It doesn't just come to you without you being pro-active.

Glad you are enjoying yoga! It can be very challenging indeed!
Old 02-18-2018, 05:52 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Beautiful morning, all!

Phoenix and Leigh and all commenting on forgiveness/acceptance - thank you. So much of this is resonating with me right now. Had a friend sincerely tell me yesterday that the only person holding on to things is me. That I'm the toughest one on myself, keeping a list of what I've done that's "wrong." That people love me for my spirit, and that spirit is not tied to any past - it's always here. Brought a tear to my eye.

Had a moment of weakness where I felt like drinking last night, really thought about, but curiosity got me through. Like where will I continue to go if I don't drink? I also didn't want to give up my 4 weeks, FOUR WEEKS, which is the longest I've had in years. Grateful for making it through.

Wishing everyone sunshine and peace, or whatever it is that feels nice to you. 24 more!
Old 02-18-2018, 06:01 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

24 more please
Old 02-18-2018, 06:01 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Good morning my 24s, please count me ALL in.
Congratulations to our fabulous Milestoners!!

I just lost a long post about how thankful I am to everyone sharing their story! It must have timed out and my current brain power won't allow me to retrieve what I just wrote. My liver survived but my brain did not.
So a big Thank You, your stories help me every day. Love to all....xxxx
Old 02-18-2018, 06:02 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

24 more for me please at 9:01am.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:12 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

My first non-working sober weekend looking good! 24 more please

Old 02-18-2018, 06:20 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Good morning. 24 more sober and free hours!!!❤️
Old 02-18-2018, 06:23 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Forgiveness...of self, something I have, at times desperately tried to grasp. Unfortunately it takes time and for me- very hard work. My rock-b was fatal. Everything changed. I lost everything, including very nearly my life because of my addiction to booze.
I do not know if I will ever 'forgive' myself, but a huge first step- is acceptance, to let go. Sure memories, thoughts and feelings still come uninvited. The smell of Eucalypts baking smell on a hot summer day, bird song in the morning- even a certain model car- can set of mems. These will have their day- so repressing them does not work. Neither does nurturing the past with the badness it has. I let the memories run until my little brain has reconfigured them in my new life. To forgive, means being able to accepet, then let go and move on.
A lot of professional types have used very striking words to define my physical, mental and addictive recovery- miraculous is one. They tell me I 'should' be very proud of what I have achieved. I cannot do that, but I tell them I am satisfied with my progress- and that is an encouraging thought.
Support to all.
As I live through my grief of loss I am reminded of all the forms of grief we have to walk through. None of them are easy but it is straight through we have to go. Letting go is not easy. But we have to learn to do that with any kind of grief or loss. The one thing that helps us is knowing we don't have to walk alone. For that I am so very grateful. Grateful for all of you as I learn to accept the loss and gain new insight from my fellow travelers whether it be the pain, loss or reality. Fellowship is indeed important. As is acceptance. Progress not perfection in all our daily lives. Thanks to you J for your insightful post as we all journey together.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:25 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

24 more hours of precious beautiful freedom please, with so much love to all of you.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:28 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Forgiveness...of self, something I have, at times desperately tried to grasp. Unfortunately it takes time and for me- very hard work. My rock-b was fatal. Everything changed. I lost everything, including very nearly my life because of my addiction to booze.
I do not know if I will ever 'forgive' myself, but a huge first step- is acceptance, to let go. Sure memories, thoughts and feelings still come uninvited. The smell of Eucalypts baking smell on a hot summer day, bird song in the morning- even a certain model car- can set of mems. These will have their day- so repressing them does not work. Neither does nurturing the past with the badness it has. I let the memories run until my little brain has reconfigured them in my new life. To forgive, means being able to accepet, then let go and move on.
A lot of professional types have used very striking words to define my physical, mental and addictive recovery- miraculous is one. They tell me I 'should' be very proud of what I have achieved. I cannot do that, but I tell them I am satisfied with my progress- and that is an encouraging thought.
Support to all.
Originally Posted by Kris47 View Post
As I live through my grief of loss I am reminded of all the forms of grief we have to walk through. None of them are easy but it is straight through we have to go. Letting go is not easy. But we have to learn to do that with any kind of grief or loss. The one thing that helps us is knowing we don't have to walk alone. For that I am so very grateful. Grateful for all of you as I learn to accept the loss and gain new insight from my fellow travelers whether it be the pain, loss or reality. Fellowship is indeed important. As is acceptance. Progress not perfection in all our daily lives. Thanks to you J for your insightful post as we all journey together.
I am so very honoured to call both of you my friends.
So very honoured to be walking this path with you. ♥♥♥♥♥
Old 02-18-2018, 06:29 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplrks3647 View Post
My first non-working sober weekend looking good! 24 more please

You go girl!!
Love you to pieces. Mwwwaaa!!
Old 02-18-2018, 06:32 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
I can relate well to your struggle to forgive yourself.. We have different circumstances obvioulsy but I cannot seem to find much forgiveness or compassion for myself although I always can for other people. I almost lost my boys due to my drug use 9 years ago, and have made so many stupid mistakes and decisions as an alcoholic too... I think it's time that we tried to dig deep and see us as others see us.. That's what my Psych once advised me to do. She pointed out that I always have compassion towards others so maybe I could be kinder to myself in the same way.. We can't change our past but we can't let it destroy our future PJ Sending love xx
Sigh....I am the same. Virtually no compassion for myself.
I do not forgive myself either, but as PJ said, acceptance is/was my goal. And I am there. And I am grateful for that.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:43 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I will not wish you luck, SFL, but my thoughts are with you. Perhaps I am being too silly, but you and I and all here- do not rely on luck. You have got this far, with changing your thinking- by working hard at it. Change only comes with effort- so not luck, but you are in my prayers and I wish you well.
Some one I know recently told me I was 'lucky' to get the unit I now have. I replied in, probably a tarty voice, that luck had nothing to do with it- I worked hard and show diivdends for it.
Same goes for you.
I started yoga last week- it is quite tiring- all the stretching, especial of the scarred bit (from burns), but I actually enjoy it.
I am with PJ ~ luck has had nothing to do with getting me here today....this has been years of damned hard work. I fought to get me back, respect back, a life back.....heck, a life at all....I didn't have one anymore.

It's still hard work....I honestly have no idea what I am dong half of the time....but I dive in anyway. I have no more time to waste.

Love you wonderful PJ. To pieces. ♥♥
Old 02-18-2018, 06:44 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kenton View Post
Greetings sober army, hope everyone is doing well.

I'm still ill. I've still got this virus or bug that makes everything seem like I'm walking through quicksand in the middle of a desert on a particularly hot day. Got zero energy and keep feeling really really hot and then really really cold. My husband has the illness too. So far today, I've got the kids their breakfast, walked the dog, cleaned the house, help the kids with their homework and done grocery shopping for the week. My husband has managed to watch two movies on Netflix and moan about feeling ill. A lot. Bless him. That Y chromosome must react really badly to the bug

I think that this illness has highlighted another advantage of being a recovering alcoholic. Even feeling really ill is better than feeling hungover. At least I don't feel full of shame and self-loathing when I'm ill. And I can already feel myself getting a little better which makes me so proud of my awesome immune system that is still working even though I spent years poisoning myself. So I have loads to feel grateful for ... but if my husband tells me one more time that he's feeling so nauseous it's difficult to concentrate on the film... I may have a little tantrum. A sober, dignified, delicate tantrum but a tantrum none the less.

Congratulations to everyone celebrating a milestone today. 24 more hours for me please xxxx
Can you please teach me how to do that????

Love you kent and hope you feel better honey. ♥♥
Old 02-18-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RedBerryJuniper View Post
24 please! I was a nervous wreck when a sober group arrived in town to visit, but I knew one of them well, so it got much easier at lunch time, then we had a great afternoon on the downtown square. Everyone thought we were drunk because we were taking ridiculous pictures with the sculptures and laughing loud— but everyone was sober! We walked past the bars and the people in them were quiet and sad...probably recovering from last night. I made two new friends and am now recharging . I have been very isolated outside of work. It’s a good feeling to get out and about again.

Xx

Red
Time to live life again!

"We are not a glum lot."

Old 02-18-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

GOOD Morning Beautiful People!
Old 02-18-2018, 07:00 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

24 more more please. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2018, 07:00 AM
  # 98 (permalink)