Notices

Class of March 2016 part 65

Old 02-05-2018, 04:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey 13th

I didn't want to quit. My life was crap but it was familiar vrap. I knew the parameters.

I could just about cover my butt with regards the consequences of my drinking... so to me there was no real urgency for me to quit.

Alcoholism's progressive tho - things , quite suddenly, got worse.

I think that happens to everyone sooner or later.

If you're lucky like me you come out the other side.

I have known some of the unlucky ones no longer here to tell their tale.
I certainty don't want you to be one of the unlucky ones.

In the end, there's no real complexity to getting sober - you gotta put more into bailing out your boat than you let water in....

I still hope that something will prod you to start making active decisions about becoming sober and staying that way.

I believe you have a lot to offer, man

D

Last edited by Dee74; 02-05-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:18 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hey 13th

I didn't want to quit. My life was crap but it was familiar vrap. I knew the parameters.

I could just about cover my butt with regards the consequences of my drinking... so to me there was no real urgency for me to quit.

Alcoholism's progressive tho - things , quite suddenly, got worse.

I think that happens to everyone sooner or later.

If you're lucky like me you come out the other side.

I have known some of the unlucky ones no longer here to tell their tale.
I certainty don't want you to be one of the unlucky ones.

In the end, there's no real complexity to getting sober - you gotta put more into bailing out your boat than you let water in....

I still hope that something will prod you to start making active decisions about becoming sober and staying that way.

I believe you have a lot to offer, man

D
I was petty much like Dee.... for me I was at a point where I could also manage the consequences of my drinking, ad I had no one in my life who needed more from me that I was giving...I was single.

I knew this was a progressive disease but knowing something intellectually and really knowing it can be two very different things. I was 49 in 2012. All of a sudden - it wasn't but it felt like it - I was no longer able to think clearly. I really couldn't quite work out what was real anymore...not 100%. And my kidneys hurt....lord how they hurt. My face got really swollen: I told people it was sinuses. I think around the time my middle back started to hurt and I felt weird....no, it wasn't then, it was when my vision went blurry. And my feet started hurting.
Maybe it was then that I realised what truly deep crap I was in.

I was dying.

I actually have no idea how I'm walking around with full organ functions. I think there must be someone up there that either likes me or is really really pissed with me.....angry that I would waste this brain and this body and this amazing opportunity that we call life.

Whatever, however, I survived. I shouldn't have. This disease is horrendous. No one tells you what it's like when you start to really go down hill...mostly because those people aren't on recovery sites or in meetings anymore. They aren't really people anymore.

I know this is a bit harsh....my bottom line is that we have the chance here to live in the solution....we get to choose....and if we push as hard as we possibly can, we get to see how truly worth it it really is. Sober is GOOD. Sober is wonderful in fact. Really. ♥
Old 02-05-2018, 07:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

And Happy Anniversary dear Dee....10 years & 10 months.
Congratulations with love. ♥♥

Old 02-05-2018, 07:30 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Happy anniversary, Dee!

Night guys! Thanks for keeping me sober.

13th and everyone else struggling - don’t quit. Keep trying. As long as you’re here and you’re trying - there’s opportunity for success. You can do it. I know. Love you guys.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Congratulations Dee!

I can't thank you guys enough.....while I have a crapload of work to do, I'm proud of the progress I've made so far and that wouldn't be possible without the support from everyone here

I won't be drinking today!
Old 02-06-2018, 03:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Morning!!

Thirteenth - always happy when you drop in. Wish you’d stay longer. I can only speak for myself but I know I struggle with acceptance. Some days I’m an alcoholic and others I’m on the fence. Seems stupid really but with no real consequences it’s easy to listen to my AV and buy into the lie. Not really sure how to get there except to take it day by day. There’s always time until it’s too late I guess. Love you.

On my way to work. Last day before two off. Haven’t had two in a row in a while and while it sounds unimportant it actually makes a huge difference to me. Hoping to just decompress a little. I see my therapist on Thursday (I see him once a week right now for those who asked - which is actually quite a lot) and we’ll see how that goes. Still just plodding along. One foot in front of the other and all that

Congrats Dee and Bobbie on the milestones!

Happy Tuesday!!
Old 02-06-2018, 03:22 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

13th..perhaps this will help- I found the below words good.

At the Friday meeting (the one I used to run) a young man- about 34, 2 years sober and very, very serious about his recovery said- that it took a long time for him to realise he was NOT a bad person for drinking or having relapses, he was a SICK person who did not know how to get well, and someone because he was sick- did stuff he now regrets.

Move finished, started at 0600 and just sat down (2144). 100 today, but apart from being sunburnt around neck and very sore (I was very careful) all good. Neighbours older, friendly, quiet and reserved.

My friend and his wife (who have stayed my friend for 25 years) hired a truck (a proper one) and paid for it- not me, bought me coffee, the lounge and 2 arm chairs are practically new. They belonged to his rich neighbour who did not want it- as it clashed with the new colours they selected for their house. They also gave me 4 dining room chairs, so visitors do not have to sit on the chairs I saved from the rubbish and repaired with fencing wire. Plus a huge sound system, a fridge, a tv unit and other bit and pieces.

I hope you feel better soon , Sam. My sponsor - when he gets depression (diagnosis) knows it will pass..just a matter of talking to people, he goes to a lot of meetings- plus food and the HALTS stuff.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:29 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks guys

D
Old 02-06-2018, 05:12 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Wow PJ...I know I keep saying that....but how beautiful your friends are. I am so very glad you have people who care about you like that....

I want to see the rich dude's furniture that he didn't want.

Sam honey, when I was 33 I had major depression. With a capital M. That was the diagnosis. I began seeing my amazing psych Greg once a week. It was a lot for me too. I was of two minds....but it was just fantastic. I was able to take what I learned in therapy and apply, try to apply some of the methods of coping and then talk about how I was going right away....it enabled me to find ways that worked for me....this sounds convoluted, hmm.

It helped me, a great deal.
Sending you more love and more squooshes. ♥♥
Old 02-06-2018, 05:28 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

darling PJ!! ♥♥
Old 02-06-2018, 05:41 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hello lovely Kat. Huge hugs baby. ♥♥♥♥
Old 02-06-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Morning Marchers. I'm flu-y. Didn't even turn on the computer yesterday but feeling a little better this morning, I guess.

Wishing everyone a safe and sober Tuesday/Australian Friday.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:22 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Awwwww Casey. ♥♥

Old 02-06-2018, 07:48 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Feel better, Casey!

Happy you are getting settled, PHX. I like your friends.

Sam - I had to go once a week too. For quite a while. Whatever it takes.

Purple - good freaking morning. I'm proud of your progress too.

Suze - Thanks for being awesome!

Get up March People! It's Tuesday! Ready to be awesome.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

February 6, 2018
– NATIONAL FROZEN YOGURT DAY
– NATIONAL LAME DUCK DAY
Old 02-06-2018, 07:53 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Mornin' Marchers. Feelin' really blah this morning. Brain fog is terrible. I don't think I could even type if I had to think about it. Oh well.... Better than hungover!!!
Old 02-06-2018, 09:24 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone!

Today is our Monday. Back to the grind.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 02-06-2018, 12:45 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Finally got my haircut. Barber wuz snifflin'. Hope I didn't catch something!!!
Old 02-06-2018, 02:20 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

congrats , Dee.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:07 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Holy cow who knew light fixtures were so dang expensive. I’m talking for above my dining room table, not crystal chandeliers for some grand entryway. So I’m going through different websites just getting an idea of what I like. I see something and say ohhh I like that, then look at the price $1,000. After about the 10th time I said WTF my husband asks me what the heck are you looking at? 😂 This might be harder than I thought. I want something different, something you notice when you walk in but I’m looking to spend in the $300 price range not $1,000!

Break is over off to do more school. Today we are starting Charlotte’s Web, I loved that book as a kid. My daughter will cry at the end and my son will be like meh that sucks. 😝