Notices

One Year & Over Part 58

Old 02-07-2018, 07:20 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Mags,
They were great huh? Yeah I guess I have been reading everything Musk did since back in the day. I started following Musk 18 years ago!! Whoa! It does seem like last week. Mags, from age 21 it is all downhill. All we can do is smile, and do what we can with gratitude and a grin. I am glad you are stable and feel like your keel is even. Sure she leaks a bit and so sits a bit lower in the water creating a bit more drag, so we just must become glad we are still making headway. Don't feel alone. I chickened out of investing in Apple when they were $50 or so in 2005 and then Jobs announced they were going to ditch the long obsolete Power PC chips and switch to the same x86 Intel chip set that had been developed and perfected for IBM and Microsoft in 1981 DOS boxes and then Windows in 1995. I knew they were way behind but had a rep of being designer/elite/and above the rest. But using the same chipsets as the rest put them equal in performance, but much cheaper, and no better. They took all the identification labels and marks off the same hardware as in Windows machines. Anyway that would have been a good money maker too. Tesla I followed from 2003 to 2010 when they finally went public and I could buy shares. I had a background in biology and medical lab for human chemistries and micro systems, as well as engineering and public health. Then guns too along with International relations graduate school. We were divers and saw the steady decline of reefs and wildlife above and below the water. So the Battery Electric Cars and solar roofing and satellite/rocket/physics were in my realm of familiarity. Musk came along as a real life Iron man. I was also a fanatic avid reader of first Marvel comics and then the greats of sci-fi; Heinlein, Asimov, Bradbury, Phillip Jose Farmer, Ann McCaffery, Harlan Ellison, Hubbard, Herbert, and a zillion others. Musk is making it not writing or reading about it. He and we are the captains of our destinies.

"In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud,
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul. "
-Henley

Andy hugs to your better half. You both have heart.

Sassy,
I can believe it because we use a lot of thing on jet systems like benzene, and other rare to the general population carcinogens from jet fuels and their combustion pollution..
I bet he had some stories and wasn't shy to tell them.

FBL! Whoa!
It doesn't get any better than that! Good for you! And him for recognizing talent when he sees it day in and day out. I think Fran's near miss could cause him rethink priorities.

Helen,
Congrats on the snow!
I sleep like a baby Helen. My investments prior to Tesla were only real property and USAA funds. I was also already paying cash for our houses and cars and wee only use CCs for convenience. NO risks. Very conservative. But I have a military retirement that takes care of medical and as well as drugs and the VA disability from active duty. And before the great recession we kept a money market savings account that paid 4-5%. In 2008 the interest from bank savings were less than .5%, money markets about the same or less. I had been waiting for Musk for several years. Remember he was selling the roadster to the world all sold out in advance in 2008 and did PayPal in 2000, when I started to track him and his companies. I knew because it wasn't research or accounting, it was fascinating and I could not get enough and still can't. My goodness he is boring tunnels under L.A. right now as traffic alternatives on high speed sleds. Have you seen his electric heavy duty trucks and the new Roadster? His PowerWall battery whole house backups and Solar roofs? It's what we know that changes high risk to a calculated investment. I am an investment baby. I've only bough Tesla, no other individual stock in my life. I don't gamble either. <wink>

Gil,
Amen on FBL.

IP,
Wow your cimbing sounds awesome! Up in your area and a bit north in the Cassiars there are some unbelievable places for that I bet. I never did any rock climbing. That is exciting! As is dating these days hmmmm?

PJ,
Stay cool my friend.

Dragon,
Yeah bud! The world is getting a kick in the pants to just do it. I love how he staged the car dummy and has the music playing but you can't hear sound in space except with headphones??

Very cold here a sudden cold snap and torrential rain. NO snow or ice just miserably wet just above freezing at the lows.

Have agreat slide down the rest of the week guys!
Old 02-07-2018, 11:09 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

A quiet day here.

Enjoy your day everyone.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:27 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Congratulations, it's wonderful that your hard work and loyalty have been rewarded, it's been a tough year for your boss privately, and he knows that without you, this project would have struggled. How is his wife doing? ( age getting to me, for the life I can't draw her mind to the forefront of my memory! )
Old 02-08-2018, 01:32 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Toots, which of you Scots here planted the tiger cuddly in Peterhead in Aberdeenshire? Rooned a gud pair a pants he did.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...D=ansmsnnews11
(Ooo and I understand the differences between trousers,pants, and knickers in the land of Scots and the UK)
Old 02-08-2018, 02:34 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! Fran is doing about as well as can be expected. She gets a little depressed from time to time, but that's understandable.

Looks like another 3-5 inches of snow on the way for tonight. Regular Winter Wonderland around these parts.

Have a Thunderous Thursday, overs!
Old 02-08-2018, 02:54 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

FBL, so great that your boss gave you that well-deserved recognition!

Itchy, not too many stories but one in particular stuck with me and has resulted in my being much more careful of what I read in the news. That infamous photo of the Vietnamese police chief shown with his gun to the head of a Vietnam Cong who he shot right after the photo was taken: turns out that a very close female relative of the chief had been horribly slaughtered shortly before. When the photographer died years later, there was a couple paragraph story in Time mag with the same info and a comment about how the photographer had always regretted how that photo was interpreted. It was good to finally see the truth come out. I don’t advocate the shooting but that info made it much more understandable. (Please forgive if I’ve told that story before - my memory isn’t what it once was!)

And yes, watching those 2 rockets come back to earth and land perfectly was incredible!

Have a good Thursday to all!
Old 02-08-2018, 09:41 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

FBL! A national tragedy! Peter Falk is dead at age 83!

Apparently it was from Alzheimer’s.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:24 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Sassy,
No you hadn't told that story to me before. But I don't doubt it having been a medic for our returning USAF airmen for my first tour and career field. Our guys came home with heroin habits and mental illness that we now call PTSD. My military generation had LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush X2, and then I retired a year or three before I had to in 1998. It was a trip for everyone.

FBL have fun in the snow.

Not as cold here for Mardi Gras parades. We miss the craziness of Fasching in Germany, their "Carnival" and crazy fun back when I was a drinker. Of course it was all centered on drinking. And letting down our impulse control for a bit. The food and music would be just as fun sober.

I am going to take a break, my life in preparation for moving is taking much of my time. I'll do as RZ and check in saying hi for a while.
Remember guys,
You_Rock_
Old 02-08-2018, 10:26 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
FBL! A national tragedy! Peter Falk is dead at age 83!

Apparently it was from Alzheimer’s.
Ummm....he died in 2011. Maybe you forgot?
Old 02-08-2018, 02:13 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Really? I read a current article somewhere on a different subject and it linked to a short tribute piece by Richard Roeper. I obviously didn’t see the date!

Why on earth would a page keep up an ancient date like that?

We’ll miss your regular postings, Itch! But I’m sure you’ll have all engines firing as you embark on this new adventure!
Old 02-08-2018, 03:34 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Trails Itch - til fiurther on...

D
Old 02-08-2018, 03:48 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Take care Itch.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:21 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Good luck with your preparations and move Itchy.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:38 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Itchy, lots of good thoughts for your upcoming move

Happy POETS Day to all :-)
Old 02-09-2018, 03:47 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Have a Fantastic Friday, overs!
Old 02-09-2018, 03:52 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

TGIF, can't wait for Sleep-in-Saturday.

Another long term employee in my department got laid off. Cripes!
Old 02-09-2018, 05:44 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi overs

Itchy, loved that poem, one for my fridge door, methinks! All the best on your move. See you when you get there!

Gilmer, sad thing about Peter Falk, he couldn’t remember being Columbo! So sad. He has been gone a while though and there wasn’t much said about it. The family kept it very privately.

Hope it’s a good weekend for all of us.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:28 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Happy Trails Itch!
Had date #2 with Artist Guy last night, it was good! All the work I've been doing in therapy is really helping me to be mindful through the process of meeting new people and dating. Not letting emotions take over. It was a very nice time. There was sushi and dog walking.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:54 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I’m glad you had a good date, and I’m glad you’re seeing real benefits from the therapy.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:15 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Here is my biggie news.
When I joined the recovery program I just finished in July, '16..I slept maybe 3 hours a night.
Last night...I went for a nana nap at about 2000, knowing if it comes to the HALTS bit- if tired, I sleep. I woke up 2 hours later, and stayed up until 0330 (Saturday here) . I slept then- for 8 hours, unbroken.