Notices

One Year & Over Part 58

Old 02-03-2018, 06:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Itch- nope no more surgery. The senior OT arranged for me to meet the big cheese burns surgeon..the one that saved my life about further surgery- because I was/am getting pain in my arm ..at the elbow- there is the bone, the nerve, and skin- so if it gets bumped- it is like pins and needles- but brutally painful. Mr surgeon, came in from between ops and told me with exaggerated patience (as you were told, early on...the time when I could not remember anyone's name be-c my brain was fried) that any additional surgery would give little benefit, a lot of pain and I might loose my arm. Same with shoulder- I healed naturally. I was in a coma for weeks and the arm was just immobilised. Not complaining- at least I have an arm. 40% loss of power, but I am not complaining.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

Have a good day.

I’m watching a BBC programme on catch up called Execution. It’s a series about people who are being executed in USA and what happened. I almost found myself feeling sorry for the young man who was going to be executed until I saw the horrendous crimes he and his mate did. So senseless. I do think we should have the death sentence here for the heinous crimes which have occurred.

Hope that’s ok me putting down about executions. I apologise if it isn’t.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I hear ya PJ, you do a good job of not living in regret, and being at cause.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Itch- your avatar says it all my friend.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Mags,
Very true Mags.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:40 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks PJ, it reflects my 27 years active duty in the Air Force. Another life in Combat Arms. While I've had to unsnap my holster or unsling my rifle seven or eight times, both on and off duty, I've not been shot, nor had to shoot another. Couple of close calls. But like they say, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

PJ obviously I know next to nothing about your injuries ... but can they not inject collagen into your arm to pad it out, give you some protection. I remember you have plastic skin which, I guess, wouldn't stretch.

Mags, I'm in two minds on the death sentence. I think it is more important to know how these people get mentally broken or are reared without a moral compass.
Deep thinking on the thread today.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

That is fortunate, Itch.
Early last year there was a young bloke who shared his soldier experience. He was posted in Afghanistan, on the front line. He remembered, with horror at the incident one New Years Eve. Driving in a 4wd military vehicle, with 2 other soldiers from another country - all with automatic weapons- in the killing zone...all smashed/drunk- very drunk on smuggled in whiskey. Thankfully, he finished, no one was hurt.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:02 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks for the new thread, Dee.

Welcome to the newcomers and congratulations to all for milestones reached.

All good with me - continuing to clear up the wreckage of the past, of late. Nothing major, just small things, but it's good to do so. I guess it will take a long time, for me at least
Old 02-04-2018, 02:37 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Have a good Sunday Overs!
Old 02-04-2018, 03:22 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good morning (or whatever it is wherever you are), Overs!

Helen, yes, that little voice is a PITA! I haven’t had a craving in a long time though occasionally a thought comes unbidden into my mind about how pleasant it would be to have a glass. I’ve learned the hard way how horrible that path is. I was sober for nearly 13 years and then had one glass of wine. 2 or 3 years later it took an enormous amount of work and effort to stop. That’s why I come here every day.

Itchy, my late BIL was stationed at McChord for his last posting before he retired. I visited him in the hospital there. He had been a jet fighter pilot.

Have a good Super Bowl Sunday!
Old 02-04-2018, 04:11 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

We got about 4 inches of snow overnight. They haven't plowed very much yet. Almost hit a coyote on the road this morning! I'm extra cautious since my accident in December.

Have a Super-Duper, Super Sunday, overs!
Old 02-04-2018, 04:50 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm up early today, went to sleep at about 9 last night, making up for lack of sleep during the week from deadline pressures.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:09 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hey Overs, thanks for all the shoutouts on two years of sobriety, I really appreciate it.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:07 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

The problem with obsessively clwaning this unit- which on average has had a new tenant every 6 months for the last 20 years is....I use strong multipurpose squirty bottle cleaner (as provided by the recovery staff). Where I clean the walls is a lighter shade than the bits of the wall I have not touched. I would not be surprised if it gets painted soon.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:13 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:55 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I’m glad you’re getting some long-needed rest, OOTT.

SG: We choke no more!
Old 02-05-2018, 12:59 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Overs
Old 02-05-2018, 01:25 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Got keys. Checked elec. on.
Idiot elec company call me with one minute till closing time- because they did the exact opposite of what they should have done..as I set out from them in a very carefully worded email a week ago.
Looking forward to move, but sad as it really is a door closing. ?Final nail in the coffin - with family contact, 18 months in recovery plus a lot of other ties and networks I have worked at over last 2 years. Also Wed nights for 18 months, my sponsor would pick me up to go to an evening meeting. No more. Too far to drive now.
One nivce thing today. I have sent thanks to everyone who helped me these last 2.5 years. The young lady who first connected with me (community health counselor/coordinator of services for loonies like me with no home)- she transported me and all my stuff (not much then) from the hell hole I was living in- to the recovery program. On her day off be-c she was very worried at how I was being exploited. She left her parents in town to do it. Well- she has moved on, but I sent an email to her old workplace and asked them to relay a message of thanks. They did, and apparently she was so emotional, she started crying. They also asked my permission to show off my message, as a morale booster for staff.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:54 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

PJ, there are some truly caring and good people in this world. I feel privileged whenever I meet one.

Have a marvelous Monday, Overs!