Notices

One Year & Over Part 58

Old 02-26-2018, 08:46 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

For me, because I have a semi public job, it's best that people don't know my whereabouts, my personal life, my activities. I also see in my work an amazing number of "facebook posts gone wrong." It results in a lot of unintended evidence.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:30 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

A day for inside jobs.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:16 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

I do have a Facebook account. I check it once daily, have around 15 “friends” - mostly family and a few people I feel I know well. It’s an easy and convenient way to keep up with them and events like high school reunions. That’s about it. I ignore stuff from media I am not familiar with (or else I check it out first). IMO, it’s about using a lot of common sense and caution. Oh yes, I ignore all ads!

Congrats on 3/4, Suze!

Have a terrific Tuesday, Overs!
Old 02-27-2018, 03:37 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Some very interesting perspectives on social media here for sure. SR is social media. I think that's a good thing. I've never met any of you in "real" life, but I feel you are all my friends. Just like in "real" life, I don't engage in the political and/or religious debates on FB. Also, I believe that social engineering and brainwashing have been going on in this world for decades (if not centuries). But, that's a can of worms I don't want to open here.

Looks like about 60F here today, with snow in the forecast by the end of the week! Such is life in Wisconsin.

Have a Terrific and/or Tolerable Tuesday, overs!
Old 02-27-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Facebook has led to some HR issues at my job. Someone recently made a comment on someone's post about a movie that was taken as a racial attack, and things escalated from there. Now my boss, his boss, and corporate HR are all involved. I am pretty certain that the person did not realize their comment could be taken as an insult.

I use FB to wish friends Happy Birthday and that's about it. Thankfully no more drunk postings from me. I too have a public job and don't need any backlash from folks responding to any political diatribe I might want to rant about. I use Twitter to get updated traffic conditions from the state. Sober Recovery is really the only social media that I spend any time involved with. I have never met a more genuine group of people anywhere in my life.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:52 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks.

Interesting subject. I do have a Facebook account that I used to post on quite a bit. I rarely do anymore. I remember the early days there the entire news stream was your friends' (people you actually knew in real life) posts about what they had done that day or were making for dinner. I miss those days. Now it is just everyone "sharing" memes or something someone else has put together, often with ulterior motives. There is very little personal sharing anymore, which is what made it so popular in the first place. I did like that it let me see what is going on in far-away friends and relatives lives, but even they just seem to "share" questionable posts anymore. I haven't yet gotten to the place where I feel I can deactivate my account though.

Beautiful sunny day here. Good day to get outside and go clean up after the dog Enjoy your Tuesday folks!
Old 02-27-2018, 06:12 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Facebook gives me anxiety, I don't use it only very occasionally for something I might need.....I read those articles too Itchy, I agree with you. I wish there was something to do to turn this all around, I feel we've gone too far in this direction of constant electronic involvement in our lives. It is like Big Brother watching us now.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:38 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope everyone doing OK

D
Old 02-27-2018, 07:05 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

XRAY showed my left clavicle was busted around the same time my right one was- around the time I fried. No one picked up on it- so it set in a weird way. Explains some of the crappy pain I had.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:57 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry PJ - I have a rib like that. I'm not going to break it again to set it properly (even if they could) so I'll live with it.

just as a little counter argument to the Facebook is evil incarnate thing:

How social media is connecting people living with illness - Health - ABC News

D
Old 02-27-2018, 08:14 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

I am guilty of belonging to a few very cool support groups on Facebook....someone from here led me to one...they can be very good.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:17 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

-6C here coldest night for a decade.

Have a warm day everyone.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:11 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Magsie

-3 here. Hubby just turned round, road bad our way.

Itchy thanks for the info on Facebook. I never get caught up in most of these ads put on. I traced one once andifound something I was going to report but lost it! I didn’t really believe I was reading it so didn’t appreciate what it may be. At the time I didn’t take a screen shot.
But I keep in touch with my cousins who lost contact when we were six year old. My dad didn’t seem to get on with his sisters so when we moved we never saw them again. So that side of fb is good for me.

Hope it’s a good Wednesday for all the overs.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:36 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Keep warm- former colonial masters from the Beast from the East.

First day of Autumn here tomorrow (28th, 2000 now0. Today was 28C and the same for the rest of the week. Unlike youse guys- we are going through a more than dry summer period. A lady in Adelaide, be-c this is baby making weather found a baby brown snake in her child's lunch box. Pay attention folks- IN Adelaide, not in the 'bush' Baby Browns are very quick and just a poisonous as the adults. My unit has a lot of old garden areas...and my neighbour- nice person- has been finding redbacks and does not remember seeing them b4. I have found 6 so far...
Old 02-28-2018, 01:57 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Good morning, Overs! Have a Happy Hump Day :-)
Old 02-28-2018, 02:08 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Do you know how the snake in the lunch box situation was handled, PJ?

Who on earth did the teacher call?

Did he/she try to kill it herself?

I recall a few months ago the waitress who took command and herded the giant lizard out of her restaurant!

I don’t think the lizard was harmful, though.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:14 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Living the life

Wow. Very few wild creatures to be afraid of where I live. I once surprised a skunk in the middle of my front yard leaving early for work one morning. I said "hey, what are you doing?" (I have no idea why lol) and he just turned around and walked away. Whew! lol My sister-in-law lives in bear country, and I get a little nervous when we go for walks when I visit.

Enjoy your day, Overs.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:23 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

You don't mess with brown snakes Gilmer love.....they are nasty......I would imagine she bolted out of the house with that lunch box as fast as she could and left it on the ground....then you call someone.....hopefully a male neighbour (yep, sexist as but I lived this many times at Philip Island growing up) and they remove it.....not really necessary to kill them.

We survived a three-foot tiger snake in our lounge room when I was little....

Did not sleep...no idea why.....so I've been up since 6.....I like being up early by myself.....I also really like knowing Nick is asleep just upstairs.

Coffee..... ♥
Old 02-28-2018, 07:03 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

I saw an indie band (Superchunk) playing a small venue last night. Great night, no problem with AV at all. Most people were having beers, but to be perfectly honest, I didn't notice anyone visibly intoxicated . It was a Tuesday so most people have work today. I would say it was mostly an audience of normal drinkers.
My ears are still ringing. I don't remember having this degree of tinnitus in the past.
I'm working half a day, then we're going to Disneyland this afternoon for three days.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:30 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Just a couple side notes: I left Seattle after the show and was almost rear ended by a driver going at a high rate of speed who came up in my lane on the freeway and then switched lanes at the last possible minute. So even being sober Overs, we still need to be careful out there and be aware of drunk drivers.
Also, I want to add that my new life (going out to rock shows, being able to go on short mini vacations) is only possible because of SR. If hadn't gotten sober, none of this would be possible and I'm certain that I would be in jail, dead, unemployed or all three if it wasn't for SR and everyone here. I can't say it enough: thank you, everyone.