Notices

One Year & Over Part 58

Old 02-17-2018, 01:30 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I'd try to tie it so it won't fall on the way to the mechanic's and cause more or unrelated damage.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:43 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  
Re-Member

If you pay too much for Internet or only have it on your cell phone, or are in America in rural areas with no broadband or Geostationary Internet like Hughesnet or Echostar or some such. Space X is doing them in Low Earth Orbit, and having them orbit so fast that they will hand off to each other just like cell phones hand off to the next tower without us noticing when traveling.

When the entire constellation is launched there will be no dead spots except in building or underground just like Sirius radio. For homes we just put the same tiny antenna on the roof edge that we use on cars for Sirius radio now on cars. Internet in cars and entertainment streaming will be easy in cars, boats, RVs, apartments, schools etc. will be as easy.

This will bring the Internet to the poor around the world and give them a chance in the broader economic benefits to be had in today's connected societies.

Nothing for sale here just the articles online telling about what Elon Musk's privately held Space X is starting to test with their launch tomorrow.

Hate your cable or Internet provider? They've got competition now! Everywhere! (well, in a few years anyway.

I love Tech.

Read here: https://www.cnet.com/news/spacex-fal...sunday-launch/

And here: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/msn/e...day/ar-BBJ90ei

Wow!
Old 02-17-2018, 02:00 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  
Re-Member

One more thing "The Overs" might be able to use. To post a picture here you can easily do it by opening your picture folders on your computer while online, then go here: http://photoposting.is-great.net/ and then open your folder with the picture you want to post here or anywhere online, drag it to the square and drop it. Then copy the whole address that appears below it, and paste it where you want it online.

Here is a recent photo just before my back surgery by a couple of years of me and my spousal unit. We are at the top of the expert ski run at Steamboat Springs Colorado. THe ski gear makes us look a lot bigger than we are. She is slim and I have love handles out of our ski suits. I checked off the square on the website to make it clickable for full size. You'll see that if you go to the picture host link. It's free.

Enjoy!
Old 02-17-2018, 02:52 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Fly-by from me!
Old 02-17-2018, 03:10 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Itch- you look nothing like your avatar.
Settling into my new digs. The last 2.5 years, for me have been filled with intense emotions- surrounded by (in recovery program that I officially finished 12 days ago after 20 months) some quite damaged people, most of whom leave- or relapse and get the boot. I am now back in normal land. No heated arguments on a city laneway feet from my door, no fights or threats or anything.
It is quite surreal in some ways. My next agenda item is to work out exactly what it is I am going to do with myself. My goals until now- around burns healing, housing, etc- are now met. I will not just grow a garden, potter and wait until I die (in a long time in the future). So- I am giving myself until the end of March to get my house in order, and settle in- not stopping the stuff I already do- around meetings, art etc. Then I need to start making some plans. Fate and osmosis is not quite enough. I think.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:11 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Re-Member

PJ
You're right in that you need to be looking forward to more than one goal. Remember don't choke by biting off more than you can chew. I use the salami technique. See if you love salami and try to force a whole salami down your throat you will choke.

But if you slice that salami paper thin, it is gone before you know it.

Just like life. These pics below were taken within a few days of each other. My wife was badgering me to dye my hair and I caved and was amazed at the years that takes off. But not wanting to dye my facial har, and since it made my hair like straw, that was the only time I did that.

Those were from 2000.

Make sure you keep us in your loop so we can share your even your smallest victories vicariously.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:41 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

The word for us oldies with short/greying (made to be popular in LOTR) is 'distinguished' Itch.
And yes- good advice...digestible goals, not finding a cure for everything.
One skill I have learned these last 2 years- is listening to people.
Thanks.
On TV last night, there was 2 dodo's on 'Engineering Space' about the repairs on the Hubble telescope (which is now being replaced) and the Viking missions to Mars.
If only humans could spend more time on productive stuff like this- instead of always pushing growth, profit and unsustainable practices.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:43 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

AND//I love salami, the spicy stuff..in fact all smoked, dried or processed meats. Which is why I do not buy it much. Best left as a treat.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:00 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  
Re-Member

PJ,
Yeppers, I can't have it here in any but small pkgs.

The millennials call us Q-Tips because my age group prefers white sneakers from the days of Keds and P.F. Flyers. Back in the day I wore White sneakers and white socks, white or beige Levi jeans shorter than today ( high water pants,) and a bleeding Madras shirt, white T-Shirt. I don't know if you call your cotton swabs Q-Tips there, but since we still like mostly white leather X-Trainers, and our hair is white we are "Q-Tips," white on top and bottom.
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...tips&FORM=IGRE
Old 02-18-2018, 01:04 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Off visiting the in-laws today.

Have a good Sunday everyone.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:18 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

PJ, I love success stories. We are all works in progress and I am delighted to see how you are progressing!

Itchy, hadn’t heard the “Q-Tips” one before . I’m excited to read about Elon Musk’s plans for low cost internet! The current monopoly prices seem high.

Have a super Sunday, Overs!
Old 02-18-2018, 04:25 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

What do you think of a colony on the moon/Mars, Itch?
Old 02-18-2018, 04:29 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I have an appointment for the body shop first thing on Monday morning. I can't get underneath enough to see what it is, but I can see a screw hanging down. Don't think it will actually fall off. Maybe I'll take it to my mechanic today to get a better look at it.

We're putting the finishing touches on the book project and it should be all wrapped up by the end of the day on Monday! I posted the dedication on my FB page.

Have a Super Sunday, overs!
Old 02-18-2018, 04:47 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning Overs.

PJ you remind me of when I first retired almost three years ago. You definitely need to find a few things that interest you. It will come.

We've got above freezing temps for the next week or so, which means there will be lots of snow melting and formerly hidden treasure to clean up in the yard (yes I have a big dog lol).

Enjoy your Sunday, folks.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:51 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
One more thing "The Overs" might be able to use. To post a picture here you can easily do it by opening your picture folders on your computer while online, then go here: http://photoposting.is-great.net/ and then open your folder with the picture you want to post here or anywhere online, drag it to the square and drop it. Then copy the whole address that appears below it, and paste it where you want it online.

Here is a recent photo just before my back surgery by a couple of years of me and my spousal unit. We are at the top of the expert ski run at Steamboat Springs Colorado. THe ski gear makes us look a lot bigger than we are. She is slim and I have love handles out of our ski suits. I checked off the square on the website to make it clickable for full size. You'll see that if you go to the picture host link. It's free.

Enjoy!
I've skiied at Steamboat. Great place.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:55 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

I have the Chilly Hilly bike ride in Seattle next weekend, and then I'm seeing Superchunk (indie band) on Tuesday, then go to Anaheim on Wednesday. Have a ton of stuff at work due before I leave.
I won't have any trouble with the band. Last time I saw em I was drinking, but I've seen three or four shows in the past two years and it's never been a problem.
Seeing Foo Fighters in Sept. in Seatle too.
Love being sober, none of this would be possible without everyone at SR.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Old 02-18-2018, 09:13 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Thanks Itchy, that was too easy. Thanks for the foto tips! This is just a random photo I picked from my harddrive. That's a shipwreck off the coast near Coos Bay Oregon.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:33 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

HOT- I do stuff, am in 2 art groups, a creativ writing group...do volunteer work. But to point, they have been to make connections/networks. I suppose I am thinking longterm..in 'x' amount of time...what do I want to be doing, to have achieved?
Old 02-18-2018, 03:24 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

On the tiles, I was pleased to get through my first blues festival without drinking last year. I always thought one of the toughest things about giving up drinking would be being sober at live music events. I was pleased when I learned differently too!

Had a nice hike on the Appalachian Trail near my home today. I decided it was time to lose some weight. Ordered a new scale and almost sent it back because it was reading too high!

I have read numerous posts about people shedding a lot of pounds when they quit drinking. Unfortunately, that was not the case for me. I ate extra to compensate for not drinking. Time to tackle that issue now that the booze issue is a non-issue.