Notices

Class of February 2018 Support Thread Pt 1

Old 02-09-2018, 04:16 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome lovehoops

Have you thought about what things you need to add to your 'toolbox' in order to make this your last class?

D
Old 02-09-2018, 04:19 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Lovehoops, I bet this will be your last class because this class is THE BEST. Welcome!
Old 02-09-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  

14 days here. I don't really have any advice for anyone...
Old 02-09-2018, 04:52 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Reporting for Duty. Almost had 7 days. On day one. What a crappy day. I felt terrible. I’m trying to heal an inflamed gut and I pour alcohol on it!!! I’m also trying to build horrible vitamin B and D levels, not a helpful night.

I’m back. I’m going to go strong and that’s it. I’ve got a pound of strawberries and some other snacks, and water. I’ll be in bed early.

Thanks

Viper
Old 02-09-2018, 06:37 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Viper, so glad to hear from you! You can do this and we are all rooting for you. Why do you think you had a drink? At some point, I think you'll have to ask yourself that and figure out what to do differently this time... but first eat those strawberries and go easy on yourself because you are trying and we can all see that here
Old 02-09-2018, 06:45 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Sobriquet View Post
14 days here. I don't really have any advice for anyone...
You don't need to - sometmes all we want is someone to listen. Cuts both ways too

Originally Posted by Viperidae View Post
Reporting for Duty. Almost had 7 days. On day one. What a crappy day. I felt terrible. I’m trying to heal an inflamed gut and I pour alcohol on it!!! I’m also trying to build horrible vitamin B and D levels, not a helpful night.

I’m back. I’m going to go strong and that’s it. I’ve got a pound of strawberries and some other snacks, and water. I’ll be in bed early.

Thanks

Viper
Glad you're back Vipe.
not sure what go strong means tho?

D
Old 02-09-2018, 06:45 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  
SWB

Jumping back in with both feet. Day one again. Went 15 days recently then drank. I can and will do this.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:46 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

You can do it SWB!!
Old 02-09-2018, 06:47 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back SWB

D
Old 02-09-2018, 07:10 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Can I join? Technically I've been sober since January, but I've spent the last month in rehab, so this group would be good going forward. I will be in AA. However, I will not count days. That is a trigger for me.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:22 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard, Babescake. Of course you can join the prestigious February Class. There are some really great and supportive folks in here.

So that's two weeks down for ol' wayforward. Here's to two more!

I went out tonight...for coffee with an old friend. It was great. I would like to make it a thing, inviting people out for coffee. There's a charm to it, and it's great for good conversation.

On my way home it dawned on me that it's "Friday night" and that there used to be a certain feeling that came along with that knowledge. I realized that the feeling didn't even come close to touching me tonight. I genuinely don't feel that I'm missing anything, and, if anything, I'd be missing more if I went out drinking than if I just stayed in with my wits about me or met up with a friend for coffee. This life, it is developing new contours.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:41 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wayforward View Post
So that's two weeks down for ol' wayforward. Here's to two more!

I went out tonight...for coffee with an old friend. It was great. I would like to make it a thing, inviting people out for coffee. There's a charm to it, and it's great for good conversation.

On my way home it dawned on me that it's "Friday night" and that there used to be a certain feeling that came along with that knowledge. I realized that the feeling didn't even come close to touching me tonight. I genuinely don't feel that I'm missing anything, and, if anything, I'd be missing more if I went out drinking than if I just stayed in with my wits about me or met up with a friend for coffee. This life, it is developing new contours.
YAY, way! congrats on 2 weeks.

I'm starting to love my Fridays too coffee time with a friend sounds delightful and so much more special and intimate than getting wasted. Good for you!
Old 02-10-2018, 04:40 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Welcome babescake

Thanks for the warm welcome, again, Dee! Idk what I will pick out of the toolbox. I planned to drink, did not even think to stop. I was upset with my kids (who are young adults) and I drank .
Of course I felt upset, mad at myself, blah blah.

I am going back to read about dealing with triggers and AV. And.....listening to the podcast on the wy home from work was something I began to look forward to. It won't help if you don't turn it on!!

Family coming home today so I may be aggravated but I won't drink...I don't drink in front of anyone.

Have agood Saturday
Old 02-10-2018, 04:48 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Had no problem saying no to wine at dinner last night as I was not ravenous

But I am judging at my daughter's speech tournament for the first time today....have a lot of anxiety over this. I kind of expected that I would crave some wine to take off the edge. But I didn't - maybe because hunger was not on top of the anxiety. I also knew there was no way I could do a good job on a hangover.

Today will be filled with the tournament. I will be with adults who I enjoy so my extroverted cup will be full.

Tomorrow may be a different story. No real plans for us so I will have anxiety about which 20 things I should try to do tomorrow.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:39 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Checking in day 14 the weekends are so hard for me. Dreamed about alcohol last night but don’t want to go back to it feeling really good without it. Going on a cruise in 3 weeks and we always get unlimited alcohol. Husband said u know we will be drinking that’s what we always do. Don’t want to though but don’t want to ruin vacation either. I don’t want to go back though the withdrawal period again or go back to drinking daily. Have tried to quit many times this is the only time I have succeeded this long. Thanks for listening stressing out about this. The struggle is real. Any advice
Old 02-10-2018, 06:04 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gerstner765 View Post
Checking in day 14 the weekends are so hard for me. Dreamed about alcohol last night but don’t want to go back to it feeling really good without it. Going on a cruise in 3 weeks and we always get unlimited alcohol. Husband said u know we will be drinking that’s what we always do. Don’t want to though but don’t want to ruin vacation either. I don’t want to go back though the withdrawal period again or go back to drinking daily. Have tried to quit many times this is the only time I have succeeded this long. Thanks for listening stressing out about this. The struggle is real. Any advice
Is there any way to substitute a non-alcoholic drink on the ship and not make an issue out of it to avoid the pressure from others to drink? Just a thought.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:21 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Good morning, class. I hope you’ve all had a successful Friday and are on to a successful Saturday as well. Went to a friend’s house last night, which would normally mean a few drinks. Pretty easy to not drink. Tonight will be more of a challenge since the spouse will be at work and those were always my favorite nights to drink: alone!
Old 02-10-2018, 06:28 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Hi all.sober Feb participants.

Just a quick hello from me!
Old 02-10-2018, 06:35 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CrossYourHeart View Post
Good morning, class. I hope you’ve all had a successful Friday and are on to a successful Saturday as well. Went to a friend’s house last night, which would normally mean a few drinks. Pretty easy to not drink. Tonight will be more of a challenge since the spouse will be at work and those were always my favorite nights to drink: alone!
good work on last night. stay strong tonight. been on my own in one of my triggers. try to stay busy doing something to take your mind off it. cook a nice meal for yourself?
day 12 here. 2 Friday night done which is good for me as Friday's I used to hit it hard. let's keep it up Feb class.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:43 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

02, good job! Yes it's so much easier not to drink when you are full and nourished. Enjoy your daughter's tournament; so glad you are going to be sober for her important day!

lovehoops, I love listening to podcasts. Lots of great ideas and so easy to squeeze into a busy day. That's a great step towards formulating a plan. Speaking of which, what are some good items in your plans, Febs? A huge one in mine has been talking about sobriety with my husband/close friends in my support system BEFORE not after I feel stressed and overwhelmed.

Gerstner765, your cruise sounds like it will be a big challenge. I really don't want to be negative, but I have to say I'm very worried for you...is there any way the cruise can be postponed or refunded? Can you give your ticket as a wonderful and unexpected gift to someone (a relative, close friend) who might enjoy some guy time or family time with your husband? I'm worried the trip won't be fun for you because (1) either you WILL drink and ruin your longest streak of sobriety or (2) you are so early in your sobriety even if you DON'T drink it will be by white-knuckling it and feeling like you aren't having any fun. I'm only speaking from my own feelings. At a month and one day, I don't know that I could turn down free drinks on a cruise. Again, I really don't intend to be negative or make assumptions about your situation. Just concerned and wanting the best for you

I'm going on a short research trip which will also be a vacation for me in 2 weeks. So I'm also being a bit of a hypocrite about vacations in early sobriety ....although my trip is also a working trip, there aren't free drinks, and I can escape and do sober things whenever I need.