Notices

24Hour Recovery Connection Part 340

Old 01-19-2018, 06:22 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Weev love and hugs

Good morning beautiful people

Here I’m for my regular check in 24 more for this alcoholic soul

Self-realization is not a matter of withdrawal from a corrupt world or narcissistic contemplation of oneself. An individual becomes a person by enjoying the world and contributing to it.

—Francine Klagsbrun

After we admitted our self-destructive patterns and gave them up, there were many days when we said, "Now what? Is that all there is? I need some answers. How should I live? How can I feel whole? How can I feel like a real person?" These questions may feel too painful to answer. These are among the first spiritual questions we encounter in recovery, and we must not hide or escape from them. They are valuable to us, and we need to follow their urgings.

We are asking these questions as if they were new and unique. But through the centuries many people have asked them too. They found answers we can learn from. They tell us to get engaged with life, take time for reflection, learn to enjoy it where we can, and try to make a contribution.

Today, I will listen to my questions and doubts as urgings from my Higher Power, pushing me to grow. I will be involved in living.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Good morning beautiful erfra. ♥♥♥
Old 01-19-2018, 06:25 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

The wreckage of the past I think they call it. Job mistake I can cope with - that's manageable but my girls. That's another thing entirely....
It has finally happened. My eldest daughter broke down a little last night about her worries and fears for her little sister. It started off amazingly we were all upstairs talking. Really talking and it was wonderful. The little one (10) went to bed and then it all came out. How my eldest worries about her sister's future, her shyness at her dad's, her utter lack of urgency about her school work, her bed wetting, her friendship group........and so on. It was like all of my worst fears deep down inside were being verbally communicated to me by one of my daughters. We talked. I tried to reassure her that she is projecting her own self and worries onto her sister and that they are different but still...... what she said was essentially entirely possible and true.
In their own very different ways they are both a little damaged. I accept full responsibility for that. My eldest has assumed a pseudo mum like position with her sister and has help our unit together so magnificently when it has been bad. The youngest? Won't talk about anything. "it's fine now mum I don't want to talk about it".
I did my best to be calm and reassuring throughout. I promised to have a talk with my youngest about it being okay (more thank okay) to be herself and her daddy will still love her no matter what. I also promised to put some time aside to sit with my youngest to do some school work albeit trying to make it fun if I can. I also promised to encourage my youngest to mix more by inviting other girls around. I can do that can't I? Does that sound okay? Am I doing enough?
This is a reality check. It's not enough that I don't drink any more. I am their mother and as such I am responsibility for their welfare. Yes I know mine too and I can only do so much without putting myself at risk. That being said a tidy house and a happy boss pale into insignificance compared to my girls. My babies. My world the pair of them.
It makes me even more grateful if that's possible to be sober. I live in hope that it's never too late to change, to make amends, to be a positive influence.
Thank the lord too that I am in a steady frame of mind and taking my AD meds. This kind of thing would have sunk me 3 months ago.
Also of course very grateful that my eldest spoke up. That at last she came to me as any child should be able to. She was very brave because she knows how I can switch to being very upset and anxious like flicking a switch. Not this time. This time I listened, she talked, we talked, we hugged so for that I am relieved.
So that is the latest. Perhaps the start of the healing process for us all not just me. Please let me be up to the job. Nothing is more important than them.
I would love another 24 of clarity to help me on my quest. Lots of love xxx
Old 01-19-2018, 06:32 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

You ARE up to the job.....you are an incredible mum.
Of course it hurts to think that your little girl might need more and your big girl is oh so grown up.....but baby.....no matter what, kids go through stuff. Being a good parent is about being present and helping them as best you can.

You do that. You ALL do that.....this is an amazing group of parents.

We can always do better.....as humans.....we learn and then we move forward.
Keep doing what you are doing.....do not doubt yourself.....you and your girls are indeed a strong unit....and you will only get stronger. I know, because you will make sure of that.

♥♥
Old 01-19-2018, 06:33 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Thank you sweetie pie that means a lot xxx
Old 01-19-2018, 06:34 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

It's true. You rock jojo. ♥♥♥
Old 01-19-2018, 06:45 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

JOAND- my family has forsaken me because of my drinking. My oldest got married a month ago- without me being there. I cannot change who I was in the past. It has marked them all and what I do now is accept who I was- and the fact that booze turned me into a very sick human. You are doing well. We learn from the past, to accept who we are- to make way for a better tomorrow. Memories only harm us if we do not gtow. You are growing.

Effie- prophetic words- as usual, thankyou.

Weav- what about we slag off the stupid b.stard a lot? You always wanted here.

I am very pleased to getting my own digs soon. All the fruit cakes are out- coping with the extreme heat around me- with copious amounts of booze and shouting. Oh the joys of living in the CBD.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:48 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Just love you PJ.

Wise wise words as always.

SO so excited for you re the new place.....a used dog huh? Too funny. Bet the perfect dog finds you. Will you have air con?
Old 01-19-2018, 06:53 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
The wreckage of the past I think they call it. Job mistake I can cope with - that's manageable but my girls. That's another thing entirely....
It has finally happened. My eldest daughter broke down a little last night about her worries and fears for her little sister. It started off amazingly we were all upstairs talking. Really talking and it was wonderful. The little one (10) went to bed and then it all came out. How my eldest worries about her sister's future, her shyness at her dad's, her utter lack of urgency about her school work, her bed wetting, her friendship group........and so on. It was like all of my worst fears deep down inside were being verbally communicated to me by one of my daughters. We talked. I tried to reassure her that she is projecting her own self and worries onto her sister and that they are different but still...... what she said was essentially entirely possible and true.
In their own very different ways they are both a little damaged. I accept full responsibility for that. My eldest has assumed a pseudo mum like position with her sister and has help our unit together so magnificently when it has been bad. The youngest? Won't talk about anything. "it's fine now mum I don't want to talk about it".
I did my best to be calm and reassuring throughout. I promised to have a talk with my youngest about it being okay (more thank okay) to be herself and her daddy will still love her no matter what. I also promised to put some time aside to sit with my youngest to do some school work albeit trying to make it fun if I can. I also promised to encourage my youngest to mix more by inviting other girls around. I can do that can't I? Does that sound okay? Am I doing enough?
This is a reality check. It's not enough that I don't drink any more. I am their mother and as such I am responsibility for their welfare. Yes I know mine too and I can only do so much without putting myself at risk. That being said a tidy house and a happy boss pale into insignificance compared to my girls. My babies. My world the pair of them.
It makes me even more grateful if that's possible to be sober. I live in hope that it's never too late to change, to make amends, to be a positive influence.
Thank the lord too that I am in a steady frame of mind and taking my AD meds. This kind of thing would have sunk me 3 months ago.
Also of course very grateful that my eldest spoke up. That at last she came to me as any child should be able to. She was very brave because she knows how I can switch to being very upset and anxious like flicking a switch. Not this time. This time I listened, she talked, we talked, we hugged so for that I am relieved.
So that is the latest. Perhaps the start of the healing process for us all not just me. Please let me be up to the job. Nothing is more important than them.
I would love another 24 of clarity to help me on my quest. Lots of love xxx
Maybe do some "normal" stuff as a group.... make sunday lunch, bit of baking, girly face pack night. The pressue is off and there isnt a focus on "talking" but more chatting about things in a relaxed way. Then hopefully it becomes a regular set time that you all come together. I have made it my priority to have my son and daughter round for lunch every other sunday with my partners two kids. Mine are 25 and 23 and his are 9 and 11. Mine have seen me at my worst. At secondary school i was at times a drunken wreck and felt guilty about it for a long time. Yours have the opportunity not to see you like that and to start building mummy daughter special times now that you would hope to wish will turn into spa days and afternoom tea when they are my kids age. Youre sober. Stay that way and things will go from strength to strength. Love and hugs. Xx
Old 01-19-2018, 06:55 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

^^^ Oh yeah.

And more love for you soberista.....gosh this is an amazing group.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:10 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Good Morning all, Blessings and peace to everyone!!

Joan, how wonderful and scary at the same time. I picked up nothing but positive from your post. Your sober, most of all sober when it counted, your girls are starting to trust you again, wow, baby steps, give them space and love, nothing but joy in your future!

Amazing the difference in days. Wednesday my AV started pushing hard, yesterday it was right on my shoulder. I stayed focus on my purpose. Today "poof" feeling so much better, even stronger. Badger the domestic has returned and actually looking forward to puttering around the house today, get some dog park time in also, can't forget that!

Anyway long post, this 24 will be awesome

Badge
Old 01-19-2018, 07:17 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

That's great badge.
Way to push through!!!
Domestic with you today....no dog though.
Have fun!!!!!
Old 01-19-2018, 07:44 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Does anyone remember a poem about the reason we need winter that was posted awhile back?
I wanted to read it again but, I had no luck finding it
Old 01-19-2018, 08:12 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I tried Chloe....but I don't have enough key words or who posted it....bet Nick can find it for you.....you should PM him.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:26 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Checking in... hopefully I can engage more this weekend. I'm going through some emotionally challenging times and next week I am going to find a therapist. This is a huge gift to myself. I know I need the one on one support. I've been in therapy before and it was the best medicine for what ailed me. It's expensive but I have to make it happen and I will. Just writing this has given me hope... I have been so down. I need this hope.

Peace to everyone and thank you for being here
Old 01-19-2018, 08:29 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

That is a wonderful thing to do for yourself love. Really.
And you are SO worth it....and gosh, look how much money we (read me) spent on booze?

Thank you for being here dear BunBun.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Oh jeezy peeps, I got so busy so quickly I forgot to check in. 24hrs of sobriety for me please 💗

Congratulations to all our milestoners! I'm delighted to be at 3 weeks and thank you all for this awesome thread.

Happy Birthday Awake!!! 🎁🎉

To everyone who is having a tough day today - I think you are courageous and beautiful people. You show your strength and compassion here everyday. I am grateful for you. Gabe x
Old 01-19-2018, 08:39 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Does anyone remember a poem about the reason we need winter that was posted awhile back?
I wanted to read it again but, I had no luck finding it
Was it this? not a poem per se, but it is nice

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post6736238 (24 Hour Recovery Connection Part 335)
Old 01-19-2018, 08:40 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Ps Bunbun, therapy rocks. I agree, it's the best gift you can give yourself x
Old 01-19-2018, 08:41 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
This is a list of everyone who posted their commitment to stay sober in the last
24 hours: 10 pm EST ~ 9.59 pm EST.

It is awesome to have every single one of you here with us!

1newcreation
abcowboy
aussieblue
Awake61
Babs1234
badgerden
bandicoot2
BarbieKen
BunBun
Canadian Koala
ChloeRose63
Coldfusion