Notices

Angie 247's thread - This new sober life Part 6

Old 10-07-2019, 07:34 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

^^^ Absolutely agree. s
Old 10-27-2019, 09:25 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Welcome SeeneEdition. It has been a while. Things are going pretty well. I’ll be 2 years and 6 months sober next month. I’m doing pretty well. I did a 3K walk earlier this month which was amazing and all the proceeds went towards the fight against breast cancer. It’s a pretty big thing here and I walked with a former coworker who has been my friend for going on 12 years now. It was a bit painful because I’ve been trying to move more but was a bit sore but not as much as I thought I’d be. It’s for such a great cause and I really want to do it again next year.

Alex is doing amazing. He’s such a sweet young man. He’s doing well in school and even on days that he’s with his dad, I see him because I am 100% in charge of helping with homework and that has worked out well. I’m not that great at math so we both learn lol. He’s going to be a Ghostbuster for Halloween. . Bella is doing great too. She loves to sleep on the same pillow as me even though I have several oh my bed. Such a sweetie.

Alex’s dad has been nothing but respectful and even kind towards me in the last few months. It’s wild and I went through some anxiety because I kept wondering when it would go back but I’m trying to just take it one day at a time.

I haven’t gone back to AA and I just don’t think right now that it’s for me. I’m still kind of scared to go back but I miss some parts of it. Maybe I’ll go back one day, it’s a wonderful organization.

I have lost 15 pounds and I want to keep on at it. I feel so much better but I still fight the voices that tell me that I don’t deserve good things happening to me. I fight them a lot.

Work is going good, got the best audit that I’ve ever had and work has its days but I’m happy to be there.

Thank you all so much for checking up on me. I want to check in more often, this place and all of you are so awesome. ❤️
Old 10-27-2019, 10:24 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

That's wonderful Angie love!!!! SO happy to hear you are doing so well. ❤️❤️
Old 10-29-2019, 12:22 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

I am so excited that things are going well for you Angie!
Old 10-29-2019, 04:25 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear from you and hear all is well Angie

D
Old 12-01-2019, 11:40 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. So, I’m at 30 months sober. :-) That’s pretty cool, Also, I looked up SMART recovery and they now have a meeting once a week that’s not far from me. I might go check it out but I think I’ll make a priority this coming week to just read up on the online materials. It might be a better fit for me than AA, no offense to AA.

I haven’t really been working on my recovery except just not drinking and I’m having some anxiety and depression issues and want to make sure that I stay on top of working on my health. I think getting back in therapy would be a good thing. I don’t know if I’ll ever get over wanting to be perfect so I don’t ever make mistakes and everyone is happy, I try so hard to not make mistakes while telling my son that mistakes happen and it’s okay. I try not to beat up on myself in front of him because I don’t want him to see that. I do not put this perfection goal on anyone but myself. It’s exhausting.

How do you forgive yourself when all you’ve ever known is to be screamed at when you mess up like when you spill tea, or can’t do math right because the numbers never made sense or that you park in the same parking spot and they found that so incredibly annoying , or sneeze the wrong way or wearing the wrong t shirt or that you touched the outside wall. Childhood and adulthood. Yeah. Therapy sounds like a good bet. I can’t turn to alcohol to numb myself again. Even if that voice tells me that I deserve a miserable life and that I deserve to lose everything. I’ve got to keep fighting and I will. ❤️ to everyone and thank you.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:58 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Angie, congrats on 30 months!

I think you should most definitely continue therapy, especially since you are facing depression and anxiety issues. Complacency can be a sobriety killer, and I think SMART is something you should investigate. I liked what I read of the program, but there just are not meetings around me. That's why I make it a point to touch base here on SR, even if it's only ten minutes. It's a daily reminder and keeps me humble. I went through a crushing SAD induced depression this fall, and my brain was constantly filled with thoughts of using once again. It wasn't like I wanted to enjoy some drinks, it was merely that I was looking to change my head out of my funk. The folks here, plus my doctor, helped to keep me on the sober path until I stabilized. Depression is hard, and you shouldn't face it alone.

At this point, you know what you need to do to keep on the sober path. I hope that with therapy and continuing to work some type of program, you will allow yourself to continue to grow and rise above your self imposed limitations. This is the real beauty of sobriety. We realize that we hold the keys that have kept us chained up all of our lives.

How is Alex doing? I hope he is continuing to shine.

Angie, I hope you continue on the path of personal growth via therapy and some type of meetings. Sobriety is something that we always will need to prioritize, as without it, our lives collapse. Think about posting more often here on SR. It's amazing how good it makes you feel!

Take care!
Old 12-02-2019, 12:42 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think continuing therapy is a great idea too Angie.

Sometimes it takes a little time to shake loose those kind of thoughts imprinted on us long ago by others.

You've come such a long way - keep going
We are not what other people say we are - we are all far more than that

congrats on 30 months!
D
Old 12-02-2019, 06:20 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Just so much love honey ~ I am sorry you were ever treated that way. I know there can be a lot of PTSD around this kind of stuff, and I am also think therapy sounds like a good bet. I don't know how we get rid of this stuff without help. I do know that we can indeed let it go WITH help.

Huge hugs honey. ❤️
Old 01-04-2020, 04:56 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I want to wish everyone a happy new year, and my thoughts are with my friends here from Australia and the fires there. I’m doing ok, Just looked up my number and I’m at 948 days of sobriety. I kinda got off track with healthy eating around Christmas but I’m back on it now. Trying to make progress with my health, walking more and keeping occupied. Things are going ok and I’m trying not to freak out about that. I tell myself to “just breathe” a lot. So grateful for my sobriety and having hope. Hope everyone is having a wonderful new year, ❤️
Old 01-04-2020, 05:42 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great to hear from you Angie - hope you have a great 2020

D
Old 02-25-2020, 05:15 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Thank you so much Dee. I‘m on day 1,000 of sobriety. I think of soberrecovery and all of you everyday, So much love to all of you. Thank you for everything. ❤️
Old 02-25-2020, 05:35 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Angie!!!!!!!
We missed you love.... ❤️

on 1000 wonderful days! xx
Old 02-25-2020, 05:43 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well done Angie

D
Old 02-25-2020, 08:10 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Angie!!!! Well done!
Old 02-26-2020, 06:50 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats on 1,000 days Angie!!

Well done!
Old 03-08-2020, 05:38 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Thank y’all so very much. I’m still sober but I do admit to being so lonely. I’ve pretty much cut off all people except my parents and one friend that I’ve known since I moved here 12 years ago. I have sweet Alex and Bella and Alex’s dad and I are getting along better than ever. I can’t really do meetings during the week because of work and picking up Alex but maybe I’ll try next weekend if I don’t chicken out. I just stay quiet at meetings though and haven’t been to one in quite a while so I’m not sure what I’m expecting. I crave someone’s company as in friendship but I’m afraid of getting attached. Just grateful to be going through this time sober. I do need to be spending more time on here, even if I think I don’t have anything intelligent to say to anyone. I did go out and see the new Ben Affleck movie yesterday where he plays an alcoholic basketball coach. It was a great film and I got a little emotional because I could relate to some things. Hope everyone is doing well. ❤️
Old 03-08-2020, 05:57 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Angie darling, you are doing so well....and you can plug in here.....there are lots of people who care about you....this is a wonderful community. s xx ❤️
Old 03-09-2020, 12:28 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

We would love to see ya more Angie!

You are doing so well!
Old 03-13-2020, 10:18 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Thank you venuscat and stargazer. ❤️ Sometimes it is hard dealing with my feelings without getting alcohol to numb myself. I’m alone a good bit too. I’m still not sure how well I’m doing this but I’m sober and taking it day by day. The numbness from alcohol only lasted a brief time, then came the panic over having to stop, the anxiety/paranoia, shakes and all I had to experience from the hangover. I just wish that I could handle things better and do things better. I still have anxiety but it’s not the drunken anxiety that was really unbearable. Alex is doing great, he made honor roll and got a math award but they cancelled the awards assembly due to coronavirus concerns. We celebrated after school. He’s with his dad now for the weekend and I have OT on Sunday. Grateful to have sweet Bella with me. . Hope everyone has a great weekend.