Notices

Class of December 2017 Support Thread Pt 3

Old 01-02-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

If I am 100% honest though I have to admit I have recently been struggling with wondering if I’m ever going to have the kind of “fun” I had prior to my 26 now days sober. I know the hangovers are awful and the embarrassment and the bad decisions, etc, etc....but I feel like I’ve also had so many great times - or at least good laughs with friends about the night’s craziness when the hangover wears off. Not sure how to process these thoughts or what to do with them...
Old 01-02-2018, 07:51 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm having more fun now than I ever did as a drinker - it's not the same kind of fun tho,

I found drunk fun was all about euphoria - sober fun is more subtle but far more rewarding.

Unfortunately it takes a little time for us to let go of the euphoric memorizes and learn the skill of having fun sober, but stick with it Maggie - it's worth it

D
Old 01-02-2018, 08:25 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Day 8
Feeling down and tearful .
Will report back later once I snap out of it .
Hoping the AV won't cheer me up!
I won't drink today .
Old 01-02-2018, 08:35 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaggieJ View Post
If I am 100% honest though I have to admit I have recently been struggling with wondering if I’m ever going to have the kind of “fun” I had prior to my 26 now days sober. I know the hangovers are awful and the embarrassment and the bad decisions, etc, etc....but I feel like I’ve also had so many great times - or at least good laughs with friends about the night’s craziness when the hangover wears off. Not sure how to process these thoughts or what to do with them...
The times I had fun when drinking - compared to the times I did it just to numb my whole brain and then hate myself the following day, are outweighed far too easily by the latter than the former. I don't miss it one bit from that respect.

Stay strong Maggie. If it was that good you wouldn't want to give up for good!

Originally Posted by Strawberry18 View Post
Day 8
Feeling down and tearful .
Will report back later once I snap out of it .
Hoping the AV won't cheer me up!
I won't drink today .
Loui/Strawberry - you have found it so hard at times. I remember your desperate, forlorn posts of two weeks back - your dizziness that would never end - the horrible first 4 or 5 days of your sobriety. I'm so, so proud of you and I'm sure you are of yourself. Never forget how horrible it was to be in the hell of drinking every day and of the hangovers. Tell your AV she has nothing to try and cheer you up with.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:38 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Day 32

Off to London for work (I hate London - too busy) so a nice early start of the day for me.

I will not drink today! Not a chance! In fact I dance in the face of my AV and pull a big long stick out tongue raspberry to his face! How's that for a silly image of a 48 year old CEO, supposedly professional man, first thing in the morning???

Regards,

JT
Old 01-02-2018, 11:03 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I’m 5 days of sobriety I haven’t had to lie,say I’m sorry,break a promise, and have regret.. feels amazing
It’s an amazing 2am wide awake is better then blacked out we’re goin to have a heatwave today posed to get up in the 20s might have to get out of the house ok enough of being random
I’m not sure on how to start recovery if that makes any sense idk what I want in life anymore but I know there is no room for alcohol/drugs and I don’t want to be a part of them anymore
Hopefully everyone can find your strength today and don’t fall into temptation I can think of 100 reasons not to drink but zero reasons to drink please add another day of sobriety best wishes to everyone
Old 01-02-2018, 11:15 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Good Morning. Getting back into my exercise routine even though I have been fighting a cold for a week. The freezing temperatures don't help but, exercise does take my mind off of how depressing the cold weather can be for me. Just doing what I can do one day at a time. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 01-03-2018, 02:32 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaggieJ View Post
I can totally relate to this I feel exactly the same, however I am sure that we can create a new kinda fun, it might be slow learning but like Dee says, much more rewarding as there won't be that dread the following day or wasting the following day cause your so hungover..
Old 01-03-2018, 02:41 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I am about to hit the sack at the end of day 19.
I'm feeling quite confidant in terms of daily normal routine, I know I won't drink.
I'm not sure about all the other situations yet, so I guess best to stay away from them for now.

Hope everyone is doing ok and having an awesome day!!!
Old 01-03-2018, 03:03 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Maggie-I remind myself constantly of the bad parts of drinking. Seems to me that the thought of happiness without it are enough to motivate me to power through to better times.

Strawberry- Hang in there. We all want to see you succeed, and you will.

More good words again JustTony.

Nichole-You sound amazing.

Chloe-I've read a lot of your posts and it seems to me like you're always trying to help others. Glad to see you let some of your self out today.

Hope everyone else is doing OK. I'm on day 4 , but had an awful gout attack in my foot last night. I'm hoping that is my last one as dehydration ususally triggers that. It's still cold in Florida!
Old 01-03-2018, 04:22 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Mood is a bit better now! Did 15 Dumbbells and 15 cardio followed by 1 hour walk . Kids go back to school on Monday so will be more easy to exersise !
The AV can kiss my ass! I'm never going to put myself though that again!

Have a good day x
Old 01-03-2018, 05:22 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Today is day six for me. I feel great.

Haven't been posting much due to a lack of time. I've been keeping busy with my new sober 2018 me!
Old 01-03-2018, 06:27 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone.

Welcome Daisy!

Optimist – sounds like a good, healthy plan.

Skrappy – it sounds like you have sincerely done all that you can do. I think your niece has some life lessons to learn for herself. Hopefully she will turn to her family when she needs them.

Nicole – you’re doing great, stay strong. Seeing your doctor and putting a plan together is a great place to start.

Magpie – I’m a yoga nut, but qigong sounds awesome.

Juno – I vaguely remember those teenage years. My kids are now 26 and 27. Both are a joy (most of the time) Hang in there. They do get better ��

Strawberry – glad you’re feeling better today!

Tony – again, you made me laugh, thank you!

Chloe – you’re doing great. Exercise is a great distraction for me too.

Red – congratulations on 19 days!

Bobdrop – I hope the gout clears up quickly! I know it’s cold in Florida, but at least you’re not getting the blizzard that’s heading to Boston with over a foot of snow! I think tomorrow will be a pull the covers over my head kind of day ��

Ezra – great job on 6 days!

I have the day off today and with the blizzard hitting the north east tomorrow, I will probably be home then too.

I managed to get to yoga last night but feeling a bit sore and lazy this morning.

I think I'll spend the day cleaning and cooking.

Btw – reading everyone’s posts is such a help for me. Thank you everyone!
Old 01-03-2018, 07:25 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Hello and Good Morning, everyone! Only a few more days of this very cold weather. By Sunday the temperature will go from the low of -9° to a high of 33°.
Believe me that will feel like Springtime! Day 2 of my new workout routine. Getting back in shape for biking. I am getting my old 10 speed re-vamped for my birthday present to myself. I have a mountain bike but, this 10 speed was a gift from my father for my 8th grade graduation many years ago. It has gone with me everywhere. Can't wait to see it! My Dad would be proud that I have taken such good care of it.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:39 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

It’s a bitter sweet day I know what my underlying issues are to my addiction (OCD, anxiety and sleeping disorder) things I’ve had problems with before drinking so I figured if I can fix those I can repair my life piece by piece but after working up to call the doctor it won’t be for another 15 days for my appointment 360 hours of trying not to worry about it which I know worrying won’t solve anything new doctor so most likely blood test I hate needles I’m ready to get this done and over with but until then I will try and take it 24 hours at a time
Old 01-03-2018, 12:46 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Just back from a 6.5k run on the treadmill at the gym. Pan fried a tuna steak in chilli and sesame seeds (to add spice and crunch) for a nice protein laden meal. Then I'll be off to bed to read a book by 10pm.

I just keep filling all the time I used to drink with things that nourish my health (both physical and mental).

Keep fighting the good fight you crazy b******s!

See you tomorrow.

JT
Old 01-03-2018, 12:59 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Night to all the December folks ......completely wiped out with tiredness here but glad to be sober.
DS
Old 01-03-2018, 02:02 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Morning class
Still kicking along.....everyone seems fine, settling into 2018. All good.
Its another day.....
Old 01-03-2018, 02:47 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Irritable!

Good morning / good night, and everything in between guys!

It’s about 1:30 pm here. I’m on day 17, which is as long as I think I’ve gone sober since I was a kid. My last attemp got me to 17 days in October. I feel as determined as ever this time though. I don’t know if anyone here has been following how things have gone for me, but pretty much day 1 through day 15 1/2 I was kind of paralyzed. I really didn’t want to think about or do anything other than the minimum- go to work and then home and Netflix and SR. Last night I had to do a Costco run after work. I don’t know if it was all the stimulus and people there, and then reorganizing the pantry and cupboards, dealing with tenant plumbing problems/ late bills, my twin sister who is currently living with me who has schizophrenia (but doing fairly well on her meds) trying to bring men she meets online to my home, etc. But I got irritable as hell last night. I kept feeling this anxiety like I need to get this done- I don’t want to get to bed late. I was trying to pay a bill online that was late (not even that late- just a day) and I really got pissed and bitchy! Then the cats that we’re fostering woke me up at 4 am and I don’t know what happened but I fell back asleep and didn’t wake up again until 5 minutes after I should have left for work. Really pissed this morning! Not common for me btw. Well, half way into my work day, I realize how productive I’m being. Taking care of a number of things I’ve been putting off. It’s weird! Like somehow something switched in my brain. I don’t feel irritable anymore, (not sure if that’s anxiety or what?), but I feel happy and exited about tackling my life again. Huh.

Anyway, not sure if anyone else has had a similar expetience. I was kind of just waiting to see if I’d get any motivation back this whole time. I feel totally different now. For all you out there in the early early days who feel bad because you read about how productive everyone else is, but all you want to do is curl up and zone everything out- I think it’s okay to listen to what you need. As long as you aren’t drinking. I think (I hope) I’m passing that phase for myself! Dont want jinx it, but wanted to share.

Hope everyone’s doing well! Barb, I like yoga too! Hoping to get a bit in here and there anyway. Okay, take care guys.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:51 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daisy39 View Post
Hello! I’d like to join this group/thread. I’m Daisy, live in the US, am a single mom to a toddler, and have been sober for 8 days. I’m feeling great and hopeful and excited about what I think is going to be a true breakthrough year for me in various ways. I appreciate any support you all can provide in this journey!
Welcome Daisy and congrats on 8 days!