Notices

One Year & Over Part 57

Old 01-22-2018, 06:51 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Congrats FBL!
PJ--it's never easy, is it?
Spin classes are awesome!
I did a bunch of painting yesterday, was so good.
Have a good day Overs.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:18 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Have you decided on your major yet, InPar?
Old 01-22-2018, 02:55 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Just low 30's temp wise today. Low brow headache...possibly heat related..may have to forego gym work today.
Be kind to yourselves Overs.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:16 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Re-Member

PJ,
If you don't know what chain lube to use, and how to fill the lube reservoir, sharpen, and adjust the chain saw chain, It's best to avoid them entirely. I hope your friend is inspired to save herself in the end.

Mags,
Try it, that soup is EZ but impressive and a really tasty comfort soup.

Sassy,
The back is healed as far as the incisions and the trauma. But I have to keep up my conditioning beter than I have been. Thanks for asking.

FBL,
You too.

I found some new information that may make Canada a possibility. We will be moving to Colorado or there by this summer.
Have a great week guys and gals.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:49 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Itch- all the chain lube in the world would still not get me near one of those things.
My friend..well I spoke of feeling happier with the world. I left todays meeting early, as I go to the recovery program trainer run gym (free) and she followed me out and rode part of the way - back to where ever she was going. I said to her- that I was happy she is 11w sober, even tho she discharged herself from the program she waited so long to get into. I just said to just keep doing the meetings..for whatever reasons why they work, they do for me. That I am happy to go for a ride, or listen or have a coffee- but that anything in her life that needs addressing, being sober is the bit I can help with, but support from a counselor is a good idea and that if she can go thru the Eastern countries of Europe that end in '..stan' for several years by herself doing volunteer work..she has enough nouse to work out life. Part of the difference has to be my perception of the world. I do stuff now- like exercise, art, social groups and meetings not only because I 'should', but because I choose to. So many destroyed people go to this in the city lunch meeting. I am happy my little part of the world is now stable and quiet and as secure as anything can be. Your insite is always appreciated.
Thanks. (insert funny emoji here).
Old 01-23-2018, 02:06 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Re-Member

PJ,
Right! here is what I have, and I have two power heads to use with it. One a 4 stroke troy built that uses plain gas, and the other a two stroke Ryobi power head that uses fuel and 2 stroke oil mix. Like this:

I have that exact 10" saw and handle extension, though I use it short all the time.

Wonderful way you set the boundaries of what you will help with and what you can't. I hope she hangs in there and stays sober and in touch.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:14 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

PJ I agree with Itchy and also love how you are so thoughtfully moving on with your life. You are awesome!

Have a terrific Tuesday, Overs!
Old 01-23-2018, 03:26 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

We got about 3 inches of snow overnight. Just enough to slow down the drive time this morning.

Have a Terrific Tuesday, overs!
Old 01-23-2018, 03:54 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Much of my progress has been to these forums. Itch I remember the chainsaw- it had a chain length- cutting that was about a metre. It wax petrol driven.

I think the last 2 years- have exposed me to the very best and worst I have seen in human behaviour. Abnormal- was my normal. Sharing horrid stories, listening to very damaged people, always on alert for personal safety to self and property. I am learning- by forcing myself to do social stuff with 'normies' - so I can just sit and listen to talk of the weather, or the neighbour's rubbish bins or whatever. A clinic of calm and NO big surprises are what I crave at present... that is why I like these pages so much.
All here are good people. There is respect, honesty, support and humour.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:45 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks.

PJ I love this last post of yours. I totally agree with not wanting to deal with any drama. Excitement isn't all it's cracked up to be!

It's been quite awhile since I've posted on this thread. My life has gotten very busy lately with a new job as well as a new volunteer/mentoring thing I am doing. I am having a hard time finding time to work on my hobbies. I am sure that I am able to do all of this effectively (because I AM doing it effectively and not just half-heartedly) because of my sobriety. No more foggy mornings or wasted (in both senses of the word) evenings. I can honestly say that I can't remember the last time that having a drink appealed to me. I was completely exhausted when I got home last night and there was a time where after a day like that the first thing I would have done walking in the door was to crack open a bottle of wine. The thought of having a drink doesn't even enter my head anymore. I'm wondering if that has something to do with the fact that I hated the effect alcohol was having on my life for so long but felt helpless to do anything about it; like that was just how life is. I feel in many ways like I've gotten out of an abusive relationship.

Having said all that I am aware from reading other's experiences that it would be so easy for me to become complacent, so even though I don't post here as often as I once did I am still checking in every day to read and keeping the SR community close.

I hope you all have a wonderful day; I fully intend to
Old 01-23-2018, 08:55 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

PJ, I admire you very much.

You’ve accumulated a lot of wisdom.

Great to see you, Helen!
Old 01-23-2018, 10:49 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good evening Overs.

A strange day, Mrs Terrific got an appointment letter yesterday to 'The Christie' in Manchester (top cancer hospital) so we moved her chemo to tomorrow and went to Manchester today. The result of today is that the single chemical treatment she was having is going to be turned into a two chemical treatment.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:14 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

I hope this new treatment is a big breakthrough, Andy!
Old 01-23-2018, 12:46 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Holy moly PJ! I wouldn't handle a chain saw that big for anyone. Mine is just for pruning and cutting up the limbs to size for the burn pile. I used to climb my 12 foot ladder to prune when I was drinking and had a nice buzz. It took me a few months of sobriety to realize how I must have had a guardian angel the whole time. I used to bushhog with my big tractor tipsy and had heard of a neighbor a half mile away on my road that fell off his tractor and it ran him over with the bushhog and no you don't live after that. I was stupid! Bush Hog is a brand that became a generic term for large rotary cutters.

If I could bend the brush and trees over with the front of the tractor it would cut it. (Up to about three inch trunks.) I had to hang chains across the front edge because it kept throwing wood at me and I was lucky but did not want to push my luck. Mine is in better shape as I restored it a few years back. Pictures in the album on my profile.

Hi Helen,
It is nice to see you and read your complete indifference to alcohol too. I am in about the same place as you, no desire despite my wife drinking a couple nightly, and her 1/2 gallon of scotch being here along with her carton of cigarettes, both of which I quit together. She smokes outside now but I told her to drink in front of me. It makes no difference what she does, I am quit for good, for me, forever. I indulge and have a full strength coke and lemon if we are out for dinner or at a affair like a wedding or party. I never drank in bars when drinking and am still not going to them. I am recovered and will never drink again. I was from the day I checked myself into the medical in hospital detox. I don't focus on what others are drinking, alcohol doesn't
even have the power to get my attention to make me deny it. It is now the powerless one. I didn't use the A/V model. I was horrified at being chemically addicted to it or any substance. Being alcohol free was I imagine like getting out of prison legally would be. I'm dang sure I wouldn't go back from missing jail!

I'm here in hopes of helping others but really don't need help staying sober. I do appreciate old friends though. I was here when Least, Murray, LaFemme, FBL, RZ, and Dee, all decided to open a one year and over club. Please check in once in a while anyway. Some of the under a year folks may just read something you say like your excellent post today. It could be the one thing that gets them over a crisis.

Hi FBL!

Gil,
I agree!

Andy,
Our thoughts are with you guys. I hope the change gets y'all what you hope for and deserve. You guys are a credit to your family and friends, like us here.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:57 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

I hope all goes smoothly, Andy. I was a nurse for many years and have had experience with chemo. The whole thing is stressy- from lifestyle and travel- the waiting etc. My prayers sent to you both.

Good to see you back, Hels. Is it not good, that we settle and enjoy life- with out the coloured, amplified effects of booze?
Old 01-23-2018, 03:46 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Hi everyone !
Itchy----I really enjoyed your post today.
Andy---Hope things all go well too.
love being sober
Babs
Old 01-23-2018, 07:42 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

My legs are still sore from spin class on Sunday. That's great training. Looking forward to doing it again on Saturday.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:56 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Babs,

PJ,
A nurse too? Good on ya!

OOTT,
You must be in great shape! How long have you been at it?

Hey Wolf!
I just finished the 4th season of Peaky Blinders and am just now starting the new season of streaming show. Sure make time fly.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:34 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Yep - male nurse. Ruptured a hernia being the strong male hero who lifted heavy patients to impress the girls. Idiot.

I move 6th Feb. yay.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:20 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Best of luck with the move, PJ. I know it can be stressful, but you'll come thru it with flying colors, I'm sure.

Went to brush the snow off my car yesterday morning and discovered that the guys at the body shop must've forgot to put my brush/ice scraper back in when they cleaned my car. Not a big deal as I needed a new one anyway. Besides, most of the snow will melt as it's supposed to be near 50F on Friday! Our temps have been swinging wildly the past couple of weeks.

Finished off another huge step on my book project yesterday. Still looks like 2-3 weeks worth of work before I can put it to bed.

Have a Happy Hump-Day, overs!