Notices

The Power Of Sobriety Thread (POST!) #5

Old 03-15-2018, 10:31 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Up at 1:20 am for a very early day at work. Ugh!

Thank goodness I was not drinking last night and don't have a hangover this morning. I would never be able to do this.

Gilmer, congrats on four years and four months!

Have a great day all!
Old 03-16-2018, 02:23 AM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Thanks, SG!

Hope this shift passes quickly and you can catch up on sleep!
Old 03-16-2018, 04:02 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Gil, congrats on 4 & 4!

Am making solid progress on my next 2 book projects. It's nice when I'm not under a hard deadline. The Country Singles book is a personal favorite of mine to work on. Don't have to deal with any hardcore rap for this one!

Have a great Friday, gang!
Old 03-16-2018, 04:11 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  

You too, FBL!
Old 03-16-2018, 12:09 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Fbl - Do you listen to music while researching and preparing books about music?

Courage - We haven’t heard from you in a while. I hope all is well and you are enjoying the glimmer of sun today.

Gil - Congrats on the milestone. What you have shared here in sobriety has been a real benefit to me. I’m grateful to be on this journey with you.

Sg - I don’t know how you work those crazy shifts!!!!

Carlos - Have fun this weekend!!

It’s a long weekend of kids hockey this weekend. It can be a serenity zapper for me. Oh well sometimes you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do!
Old 03-16-2018, 12:15 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Good luck staying serene, Glee!
Old 03-16-2018, 06:53 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hello POST -- it's very friendly & thank you all for looking out for me.

Life is pretty stressful. Meltdown-ways & days, with hand-holding tearfully sputtering colleagues, and smiling into snake-eyes knowing that my own eyes don't look as bright. Good insights into what (it turns out) I actually do care about and who are the "us" with common values. Though care has no authority and each of us will end up being for himself. I'm not losing my job but it does look like my job is going off into a corner to bang its head against the wall.

I wake up with my slug, my mind roils throughout the day, and I'm talked-out by nighttime. So when would I post?

Not drinking. I would if I could, and I wish that I could, but I can't so I don't & won't.

Will catch up on reading your good and I-hope-no-bad news right away. Have good nights or days, all.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:12 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

(((((Cour)))))
Old 03-16-2018, 07:20 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Courage - It sounds like you’re going through some difficult times. Take good care of yourself and don’t give away more than you have!!
Old 03-16-2018, 07:23 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  

How are you tonight, Glee?
Old 03-17-2018, 01:03 AM
  # 471 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Good luck at the tournaments Glee. I hope the parents don't use St. Pat's day as an excuse to over imbibe all weekend.

Courage, sorry life is throwing you nothing but curve balls. Good work staying on the straight and narrow.

FBL, I am glad that you are working in a somewhat less stressful environment currently.

Hi Gilmer!

Glad that I will be done work by 4:00 today. My store is next to a liquor store, and with St Pat's falling on a Saturday, it will be total amateur night today. Not quite as bad as NYE, but close.

Stay the course and stay safe everyone!
Old 03-17-2018, 04:30 AM
  # 472 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
Fbl - Do you listen to music while researching and preparing books about music?
I'm always listening to music at work. I do tend to listen to whatever genre I'm currently working on. So, lots of Country music for the next few months. I have a wide range of personal taste when it comes to music, which is nice.

Courage

I'm going to my third sports card show in as many weeks on Sunday. I'm really getting into it now. Reliving my childhood all over again!

Have a great weekend, all!
Old 03-17-2018, 06:09 AM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Have fun, FBL!

What are you doing today, Delizadee?
Old 03-17-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 474 (permalink)  
p***enger

All those posts with joy in them helped! Thank you for being a great crew

Del, I hope you get the job!

Carlos -- still a little confused by your identification quandary, but maybe it's this simple: don't tell a first date (or a 3rd) or a familiar client that you're an alcoholic. Do remind yourself.

Glee -- serene. Calgon, take thee away!

Gilmer, rock on!
Old 03-17-2018, 11:43 AM
  # 475 (permalink)  

That was surely one of the best ad campaigns ever:

Old 03-17-2018, 08:05 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Cour

Thanks for all the positive vibes guys!
I started yesterday. Lots of kicking dirt right now waiting to start my training and get myself out on the sales floor. I loved it though! Great huge team, lots of support, I am really excited to see where this new path will take me and how much I can achieve. So it's good stuff. And they are so flexible with schedule, so I am still able to pick my kids up and drop them off from school and daycare.
So far, things are great, and I am SO grateful to be working!!

I love coming back to this corner. There is so much positive energy here.
Courage, You sound so worn out. Have you had a decent break recently?

I kind of feel like the air has been sucked out of the room tonight. I don't know, I think I am just tired, things are changing again. I look back on some things and I realize I handled them poorly. There's that stupid overlap when you're caught between sober and relapse that mistakes and poor judgment happen. Nothing really bad. It amounts to emotional regulation, which I have always struggled with. I can't take threats and harassment, even if they are pretty petty and benign. I am so sad about cutting the kids out of my life, but not their parents.
I don't know how I can rectify it, if ever, with the kids.
It doesn't matter on some level, what's done is done and it was for the best for me and my kids. I know we will run into the families around town.
I am getting my I-don't-give-a-F mental fingers out for the parents if they choose to pick fights. I won't be shy with the kids if I see them.

Anyhow. Drama level is fairly low, the excitement of new job followed by a day of babysitting has left me deflated.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day, luck o the Irish to you and all.
Ugggh. All that does is make me think of drinking.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:36 AM
  # 477 (permalink)  

The job does seem like a really good environment.

Are the moms mad just because you quit offering childcare? Was there more to the situation?
Old 03-18-2018, 03:40 AM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Cour, I am sorry that your work environment has become so stressful. That sucks. My guess and hope are that you are working with some rather intelligent folks and their separation may be the start of something better for them, and you can press on to create some memorable headbanging music.

There is a level that is that simple for non-drinker vs alkie. I still need to find it. Simple doesn't always equate to easy. One of my race teammates yesterday is an amazing athlete. She rocks her way through the many quite difficult physical challenges we face the best of all of us. Yet, the one obstacle that she fears requires no physical capability. After scaling this wall all that's left is to jump like 25 ft into dark waters unknown. People tell her it's easy, over in a second, nothing will happen...all in one ear and out the other as she stands there feeling her heartbeat 100mph. I told her none of that as I stood next to her...only that I was there for support and wasn't ready until she was. Finally, after a few minutes, I suggested we take a couple running steps vs standing on the edge, A few seconds later we were flying through the air. What changed - I don't know? Simple task - not easy.

FBL, I wish I would add more music to my days. Haha, it's not like it doesn't work, like always. I did send for a set of wireless earbuds a couple days ago to use in the office. Hey, enjoy the card show.

DZ, congrats on that job. Good luck with the training program.

Star, yes, St Pat's is a drinking fest, yet, I had dinner with 7 others after our race and a few with some Irish in them...not one drink ordered. Hope that you are enjoying a day off.

Glee, haha, a real hockey serenity weekend zapper is one where you get drunk and bok in the hotel room during the night. You've come a long way, baby!

GG, congrats on the 52...good stuff.

Yesterday was a perfect day, like 80-no humidity. The Savage Race was grueling, as always. One of our new teammates said that it was tougher than anything she did in boot camp in the service. I have cuts and bruises all over and walked with a pronounced limp from a right knee ache after the race. So, was it my last as I said it would be?? - heck no - we all signed up for November right after the race. Epsom salt bath worked wonders last night and feeling kinda okay this morning.

Have a great Sunday, all.

Carlos
Old 03-18-2018, 04:06 AM
  # 479 (permalink)  

I’m so pleased you’re going to do it again, Carlos!
Old 03-18-2018, 05:14 AM
  # 480 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Was yesterday some sort of drinking holiday?!? For the last 10 years of my "drinking career" every day was St. Patty's day.

I don't drink alcohol, therefore I consider myself a non-drinker. The whys are no longer important. Happy. Joyous, Free.