Notices

Class of August 2017 Part 5

Old 01-04-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leanabeana View Post
This bomb cyclone is crazy! However, I saw a great photo gallery of dogs having fun in the snow. It was awesome. I consider cute animal photos/videos to be an integral part of my recovery.
No doubt! This winter storm has now morphed into a 'thing'

Not such a bad day today but instead of the craving (that was very clearly present yesterday) I had several fleeting recollections of the really idiotic/selfish/dumbfounding/[insert negative adjective here] things I did when I was at the 'pinnacle' of my alcohol abuse. I guess my best response was to realize that these could be leveraged to keep me in perspective of where I came from. Nonetheless, the self-condemnation was ever present. Good thing I didn't allow those instances to become triggers. Glad this short week is coming to a close though!

Everybody stay warm (well, those that are in cold climates) and comforted

T.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Here you go, Leana.....Pajama Pups! I'm the same way about cute pics & videos....I get along with animals better than most humans

Old 01-04-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Thanks Purps! I'm the same way. Animals save my life on a daily basis.

Toddman - I've been struggling with regrets a lot lately too. You're not alone there. Interestingly, I did a lot of my stupid/idiotic things while sober so I don't even have that excuse...
Old 01-04-2018, 07:48 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Mr

Hello friends.

I was busy in work this week, probably be a little busier next week but I don't mind it's better than getting bored.

The flu is rife in France. It's spreading like wildfire. They say it's a really bad strain this year. They are calling it the Australian flu

Was just looking at that bomb cyclone thing on the TV. It says that the whole east coast is affected. I suppose school kids are the happiest now

I really need to get exercise, lose a few kilos and start adding this aspect to the recovery plan.

Anyway I see that you are all doing well and that is good news. Go easy on yourselves, remember the past is the past and nothing can change that.

Over and out.
Vinny.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:51 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Administrator

you're welcome Vman lol

D
Old 01-04-2018, 09:33 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Mr

The message was for you my man
Old 01-04-2018, 10:08 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had the flu shot.

In all seriousness, people died here.

I recommend it for anyone in ill health, very young, aged, or especially susceptible to flu.

D
Old 01-05-2018, 07:40 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I got the flu shot for the first time in 16 years in October. My doctor emphasized how important it was since I was taking an immunosuppressant for RA. I still have mixed feelings about possible ill effects of the flu shot, but for some the benefits outweigh the risks.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:55 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hey 'Augustine' Alums..

Well coincidentally the flu shot gets mentioned and today I've contended with some sinus and stomach garbage. No shot (yet) for me; I've skipped the last couple of years and I suppose the roulette game has just about caught up with me Anyway, not a bad day otherwise. Looking forward to the saturday am men's meeting...always a solid representation of sobriety and good discussion. This week has been unbelievably stressful (job front primarily) and I know that there will be encouragement.

How's everyone doing? Any big plans for the weekend?

Take good care!

T.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:19 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Slept for nine hours last night, think that’s a record for me! It’s really good to hear from everyone, hope you’re all safe and warm. It’s cold here but not in the minus yet so off to make the most of the day and avoid th3 cooped up ness! Hope you all have a great day/night/evening x
Old 01-06-2018, 09:21 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Hello Classmates!

My friend is gone, so yup, I survived almost a week with her heavy drinking and I'm 15 days sober today. Thank you all soooo much for your support and encouragement, it means a lot to me!! I'm relieved that I no longer have alcohol in the house, but at the same time I feel sad and alone, and I wish she could stay longer. Funny... fighting the urge to drink today is more difficult than when she was here chugging beers right beside me. Anyway, I'm off today and was hoping to do some uni work, but I'm wasting time watching Netflix, replacing all meals with toasties and feeling sorry for myself. Ah well, tomorrow will be a better day.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:38 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Congratulations Snufkin! That is very impressive. I know what you mean about being lonely and having more cravings than when someone is drinking beside you. Is it too cold to go out for a walk? If so, try to do some yoga or tai chi. You can find some good videos on YouTube. You can also download a guided meditation app on your phone. Insight Timer is a good one.

I need to take my own advice!
Old 01-06-2018, 12:21 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Great advice Leana, thanks I am the queen of laziness but I really want to be more active, I think it would help to reduce my anxiety as well... My cat won't be happy about this. He goes mental and tries to jump on my head every time I exercise
Old 01-06-2018, 01:47 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

LOL Snufkin-yeah I have at least one cat that thinks they need to intervene if I'm exercising indoors Give yourself some well-deserved congrats for overcoming the temptation. That's no small feat indeed. Ditto to what Leana said...try to get engrossed in something positive...even if it's not so fine outdoors a short walk might invigorate you. I know the doldrums very well and my experience is that a walk really does wonders to the clear my head, etc.

Hope you guys are doing well. Every day is a new day

T.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:06 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Great job, Snufkin! That's awesome

Hello everyone ~ home from work and doing some laundry....it's pajamas and chocolate milk time!
Old 01-07-2018, 03:54 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Well done snufkin! Just popping in quickly, babysitting my grandson so it’s going to be a good day! Hope it is for all of you as well xx
Old 01-07-2018, 09:38 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

My cat does the same thing when I exercise! Today I really need to take my own advice and get some exercise. It's challenging with my rheumatoid arthritis, but I do notice an improvement with mobility when I do some stretching and strengthening in addition to walking.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about going back to moderate drinking if/when my liver numbers improve. I've been told by multiple people recently that they don't think I'm an alcoholic and it's making me think...
Old 01-07-2018, 09:57 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Leana--I won't go into a contrived/cliche admonition but I've done that so many times I lost count frankly. I was the 'functional alcoholic' that thought because the blood/liver panels were unremarkable, was in a good job and managed my family responsibilities that I could also manage my increasing alcohol consumption. I had a system in place to where I'd time my benzo intake to coincide with the worst part of a hangover and then exercise to 'clear' out my system.

I would scoff at the guys who would caution me about things getting progressively worse. Fast forward a few years and after multiple benders, a switch from wine to vodka and loss of job/family/etc. I realized I just couldn't drink anymore. I'm not quite sure where you would fall on that continuum so all I can do is speak from my experience.

What does your p-doc and/or therapist think? If there is inner conflict with whether or not to consume (and I assume there is ) then IMO the essence of taking that first drink will just imply more consumption.

Don't want to pontificate but we're all here to encourage ya....

Best!

T.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:12 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Thanks Toddman. I don't consider it admonition. I put on the table, so I was prepared.

I averaged 3-4 glasses of wine a day. I would say I was a moderate overdrinker. I also never got belligerent or sloppy so I don't raise flags that way. Maybe once or twice a month I would drink a whole bottle and sometimes when I went out I would have 3-4 cocktails.

My therapist is all about my sobriety. She's the one that convinced me to take a hard look at my drinking. My pdoc is neutral. He didn't think it was a big issue when I was drinking and doesn't subscribe to the theory that drinking makes medication less effective.

Come to think of it my therapist and my mom are the only ones who ever expressed concern about my drinking. My sister used to joke that I was an alcoholic, but now that I'm sober, she thinks I'm making too big a deal about being sober. My mom passed in 2014, so my therapist is currently the only one who truly thinks I should be sober outside of the recovery community.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:19 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Morning all brrrrr it’s chilly! I had a great time with the wee guy yesterday, one year olds are such fun. Leana, only you can decide if you can happily go back to moderate drinking. I know it’s never an option for me. I’m struggling to see what benefits it would bring you though? You have been sober for a long time now and your liver numbers are coming down, why put any alcohol in the mix if even small amounts could affect that? You found this place, were you concerned about your alcohol consumption when you did? Just playing devils advocate here, not taking anything lightly but please seriously weigh everything up if you do decide to drink. I will always wish the best for you no matter what you decide. Off to work for me, have a great Monday folks x