Notices

Class of August 2017 Part 5

Old 03-17-2018, 05:37 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Oh dear, Leana. I hope you change your mind. No judging here you know that.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:50 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Hope you will manage, Leana, and get the strength back to get a good life!

I had a relapse last summer, and it ended me in a very bad place, but at least I gained insight in what I didn't do right in my previous attempt at staying sober, making me so much more committed in this attempt...

Now I am almost thankful of my relapse, because it forced me to change my attitude and open my mind more for the suggestions and advice I got from the good people wanting to help me, without it I would never have learned to live a good sober life...

In my previous attempt i just quit drinking, but I didn't really do anything to deal with life sober.
This time around everything is different. I don't even think about alcohol anymore, but I think about my recovery in ways to improve my every day life - all the time, and i feel so much better.

We are here to help and support you, just leave that bottle alone, it won't do you any good
Old 03-17-2018, 09:22 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support everyone. I intend to drink moderately. Last night I didn't get drunk - I had about 12oz of wine. If it gets out of hand, I will stop and get back on the sober bus. I miss getting together with friends/coworkers over a couple drinks. I just need to keep an eye on the drinking at home.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:25 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Agreed. No judgement. I know a lot of folks who can moderate their drinking.

I just know that I can't.

Please stay in touch...all of us care about ya. OK?

T.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:56 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Thanks Todd. I really appreciate your support. I don’t think I’m supposed to post if I don’t have a desire to stop drinking so I’ll be making myself scarce unless I change my mind.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:32 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  
Mr

Hope you come back permanently Leana.
Your a vital part of this class.
And we all want the best for you.
V.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:38 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Sounds like you’re doing great Tyger well done! Happy Monday folks. I feeling a wee bit hard done by as I took really sick yesterday. Aches, sore head and then vomiting and the other stuff. 🙄It was like a hangover without the drinking part. Feel a bit better this morning, just had a piece of toast and hoping it stays down, I am working later. It did occur to me that I used to spend a fair amount of money on making myself feel that bad, this one was a freebie! Have a great week folks
Old 03-19-2018, 02:31 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

That happened to me a couple weeks ago Lily; hope you're feeling better today

Hello class! Well I made it through St Patrick's Day; I was a little nervous about it being on a weekend but it was fine; I barely even left the house, only to take a walk in the neighborhood a couple times. Is it Friday yet? LOL
Old 03-19-2018, 06:06 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Another lovely day here, even though it's till quite cold and nights are freezing I can feel spring in the air, the sunshine feels warmer and the birds are singing.

I went to a really good AA meeting at my local group. We have a rehab nearby and sometimes the people from the rehab come over to join our meeting, which I always find great - really gives us 'regulars' in the group a sense of purpose to try help these guys on the path to lasting sobriety. We are a small group with only 5-10 regulars, so it's always nice to get those folks visiting and trying to reach out with a helping hand.

I also took up writing about music again. I used to do that a lot until drinking ruined it for me - writing for music zines and web pages - now I just saw one of the country's leading web zines for metal music were looking for new writers so I asked to join. It's unpaid, but I enjoy writing about the music I love - and I'll get to go a lot to concerts for free
Old 03-19-2018, 06:23 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Tyger-

Been meaning to chime in sooner bud. I'm not just a metal aficionado but a *big* fan of Norge...to me it's probably the most beautiful country on Earth.

One day I'd like to visit---esp. Bergen.

Scandinavians in my opinion get metal better than just about anyone else on the planet

Anyway...

Coming up on 7 months here. Folks on this end are actually a bit more celebratory than at 6 but I'll take what I can get.. Work's going well thus far. Had an interesting discussion with a co-worker about fitness at the end of the workday...hard to be focused given how cute she was but whatevs *Sigh* the various challenges of sober living!

Hope you guys are doing well. Keep on keeping on

TheT.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:53 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Hey TheToddman!

Norway certainly is a beautiful country. actually i am living in Denmark now. I messed up my life in Norway with my last bender in summer.
I am half Norwegian and half Danish, and most of my adult life i have been moving back and forth between the countries. Moving to Norway to get a fresh start, make a mess of it because of booze, move back to Denmark to get help from my family to get my life together, mess it up because of drinking, then move to Norway for a fresh start...and repeat it all, over and over. My tactic when i started to see trouble was always to run away, rather than to stay and deal with it... until now, when i am dealing with my stuff, but inside me and around me, and it feels good.
I hope to go to Norway again some day, but then i need to be in a stable situation in my life, mentally and financially - no more running away.
I used to have this idea that if I just lived in a wonderful place all would be good - turned out not even the most stunning landscapes or beautiful mountains are to any help for an alcoholic, and there is still a pub or a liquor store in even the most scenic towns of Northern Norway.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:58 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Good point. I can imagine that even in a supposed paradise there's temptation waiting.

For what it's worth..

Two bands that I've been listening to a lot are Danish-Anubis Gate and Mnemic; the latter unfortunately disbanded ----I follow their founding guitarist on LinkedIn. Mnemic's last two records are both on heavy rotation when I work out at the gym.

Writing for a music mag sounds like a fun gig...even if it's gratis at this point!
Old 03-19-2018, 07:05 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Cool, i remember Mnemic from back in the day. Denmark was always a bit behind our Scandinavian brethren when it comes to metal, but we have a handful of good bands, and these days i see the underground is buzzing with talented new bands
Old 03-19-2018, 11:48 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  
Mr

Alert alert august class we are being invaded by metal head headbangers....

Joke.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:56 AM
  # 495 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL any Joan Baez fans here?

D
Old 03-20-2018, 01:27 AM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Prefer a bit of one direction myself...😂

Feeling much better and spring isi the air at last! It must be almost 5ime for a new thread Dee?
Old 03-20-2018, 02:49 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Tyger what a cool opportunity that would be ~ and free concerts? Yes please! My friend and I are going to the Welcome to Rockville festival next month....Godsmack is gonna be there...The BOYZ! I can't wait!
Old 03-20-2018, 05:18 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theVman31 View Post
Alert alert august class we are being invaded by metal head headbangers....

Joke.
Your party has been gate crashed by sober headbangers
Old 03-20-2018, 05:23 AM
  # 499 (permalink)  
Administrator

yes its new thread time

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-6-a.html (Class of August 2017 Part 6)

rock on

D