Notices

Class of November Support Thread 2017 Pt 3

Old 12-10-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of November Support Thread 2017 Pt 3

last part here:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...pt-2-a-21.html (Class of November Support Thread 2017 Pt 2)

D
Old 12-10-2017, 03:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Linners: great on the fitness progress!
I wish I’d have made 3 gym visits last 2 weeks... 😎.
I put on 50 lbs in 3 years— mostly from drinking martinis and eating in hotels while traveling on business. Really makes me feel bad — about everything, really.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

27!

Made it to 27!
Wife had people over to the house. I had to open and serve 3 bottles of champagne!😰
I was surprised that it was not a bigger deal. I really was not attracted and I did not really feel left out.
Slow lazy day, which was good for me.
Snow on the ground but not too bad.
Grateful I will not pass out or blackout tonight.
I will not stay out/up drinking or be woozy later.
Grateful I was able to avoid the poison; grateful for another day.
It does seem my sober muscles are strengthening while the severity and number of urges is decreasing.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Linners, good for you exercising. I find that if I get into it I actually become addicted to it, imagine that... me with an addictive personality har har. I have yet to get my treadmill out but I'm eating super healthy and I cleaned literally all day, I'm wore out. Man my house has really benefited from this sobriety which I happen to be on Day 41!!!!
Struggling, I guess I'm lucky because I'm really not around alcohol so I have that less pressure on me. You are very strong willed!!
Dee and to the rest who have mentioned it, I threw the strawberry Rita can away a few minutes ago. I guess in my head I was testing myself. I also took the empty jar of moonshine and washed it out ready for the next dishwasher load. I don't think I have anymore hidden alcohol around the house. I never had much hidden because I drank it so quickly. Thank goodness I'm saving all that money! I'm on every poo list around regarding medical bills. Did you know they keep a record of when you hang up on them? lol I tried to pay one off and get it off my credit report and the lady mentioned how many times they had tried me and I hung up on them. Oooooppppps!
Old 12-11-2017, 02:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 41 Susie, that is great! I googled Rita, sounds yuk! glad you got rid of it!

Well done on day 27 Struggling. I'm around alcohol too as my husband drinks but I think I'd refuse to serve it!! Amazing will you have!!

Morning Linners, hope you're doing ok. Same goes for Awake & Startingover & CNGY & anyone I've missed!

Happy Monday to all!
Old 12-11-2017, 04:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

27.5!

USA East Coast morning!
Grateful I did not poison myself yesterday!
Grateful I have for 27.5 days avoided the addictive carcinogenic poison that destroys my body, my mind and my life!
Grateful to awaken rested!
Grateful I did not allow the poison to give me a terrible hangover— throbbing headache, dehydration and fog!
Grateful I did not allow the poison to disrupt my sleep last night!
Grateful I woke up in my bed knowing everything I did yesterday — I did not permit the poison to destroy my memory!
Grateful I did not depress myself by drinking the poison for more than 27 days!
Grateful I did not make a fool of myself— have nothing to be ashamed of or embarasssd about!
Grateful I did not cause heart damage with the poison!
Grateful I did not cause further damage to my liver— no alcoholic fatty liver or cirrhosis leading to liver failure and death!
Grateful I did not poison my brain yesterday: I did not damage my ability to focus, concentrate or remember!
Grateful I did not vomit this morning— the poison did not cause nausea or damage my esophagus!
Grateful to have an opportunity to have a joyous, fun and fulfilling day!
Grateful for God’s Grace in being free from the poison for another day!
Grateful I did not allow the poison to retrigger cravings, desire and insane thinking!
Grateful to see that the poison is terribly addictive — even just one drink triggers cravings, desires and insane thinking that I can drink a few!
Grateful to see today how crazy that is: why would I want to drink “just a little” poison? Do I really want to poison myself slowly rather than quickly? Do I seek “moderate” destruction of my body and mind and life? Argh!!!
GrAteful the poison did not have me awaken in an emergency room, jail or other strange place!
Grateful I did not scare or anger my wife by drinking the poison!
Grateful I did not waste money and time on the poison!!
Angry that there is so much societal stigma about addiction, especially with the poison! Angry that people do not understand how difficult it is to get free of the clutches of the poison — we are surrounded by messaging that the poison is fun, social, a social lubricant leading to good times! An anxiety, stress and fear release! Balderdash! All it does is numb and intoxicate me while destroying my body mind and life!
Grateful I did not substantially increase my risks of cancer of the mouth, tongue, throat, stomach, colon and liver! Yup, the poison is a virulent carcinogen that causes all those cancers!
Grateful I can be happier and more productive today!
Grateful I did not poison myself with empty calories that make me obese and damage muscle mass! I can shed fat and look and be much healthier by avoiding the poison!
Grateful for AA and it’s meetings!
Grateful someone organizes and runs meetings!
Grateful for all the insight and support I get from AA!
Grateful I can see that millions of people are also addicted to the addictive poison! I am not alone, I am not defective or worse; I am just one among many struggling with an addictive poison that society lies about!
Grateful I can see that many people can stay sober for months, years, even decades and live happy, full and joyous lives!
Grateful I can see the poison is an addictive carcinogenic poison that destroys our bodies, minds, lives! It destroys families, jobs, careers, marriages, communities!
Grateful I can realize it is addictive: we would not all struggle so much if it were not addictive!
Grateful to realize that I am not giving up a friend that brought me good times. I am freeing myself from the clutches of a terribly addictive carcinogenic poison — the worst enemy in my life!
Grateful for 27 days away from the poison and praying for another day!
Grateful for 27 victories!
Old 12-11-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good morning folks. Its back to work on a cold overcast monday, but I'm so grateful to not be on day 2 of a multi-day hangover like I was when I went back to work on Monday 4 weeks ago. Things feel much better now. My meeting yesterday went well, though the other new person I was supposed to meet overslept and didn't make the meeting, but we texted some and will aim to meet up sometime this week. It was a really good meeting overall and I enjoyed talking to some people too, which for a lifelong shy person like me is an accomplishment in itself.

I hope you all are doing well, and enjoy another day of sobriety.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

day 21 . 3 weeks woo hoo! Have a good Monday all!
Old 12-11-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey everyone. Congrats on 3 weeks CNGY! No gym for me today. Worked the "real" job today and am beat. Currently laying on the couch with blanket and dog and feeling quite cozy. Speaking of, dog has a vet appointment tomorrow...her tummy is still upset a bit but she is eating and drinking fine. Just have to go (and drop a couple hundred, I'm sure) to ease my mind.

I experienced a mild craving when I got home from work, but I made myself a cup of decaf coffee, busied myself with some texts, and before I knew it, time for dinner. Whew.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on the milestones guys

D
Old 12-11-2017, 05:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Woo hoo CNGY!
I made it to 28 but don’t feel all that great about it. Feels like I’m hiding out, afraid to be in real life. It may be true that drinking does not work for me but it sure seems to work for others who seem to be enjoying themselves while I am busy avoiding bars.
Feels like I am being punished for who I am.
I know it’s good for me and necessary to stay sober, but it feels like prison right now.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strugglingtoget View Post
Woo hoo CNGY!
I made it to 28 but don’t feel all that great about it. Feels like I’m hiding out, afraid to be in real life. It may be true that drinking does not work for me but it sure seems to work for others who seem to be enjoying themselves while I am busy avoiding bars.
I know it’s good for me and necessary to stay sober, but it feels like prison right now.
I know what you mean BIG TIME! I just gotta remember how it makes me feel the next day though. Even if I manage to only drink a few..it still makes me feel a bit gross or anxious the next day.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Day 18 in the books! More from a real computer tomorrow.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Morning all!

Well done on 18 days Sath. Keep going!

Congrats on 3 weeks CNGY!

Well done on getting past the craving Linners!!

Excellent about the meeting Startingover, sounds like such a big thing...I know it would be for me!

Right now, Struggling....I thought about you when I went to bed last night after your other thread. I thought back & I remember the feeling. I was more of a home drinker but remember thinking how holidays, birthdays, Christmas would be without alcohol, I couldn't comprehend, I was pretty down. I too thought I was missing out. For me, I had to stop thinking out that & live in the now. But I've also found those thoughts receding as time goes on, I'm pretty sure I CAN have fun without alcohol these days. I appreciate it must be hard for you as you were used to going out to drink. Is there anything else you can go out and do? Cinema maybe? I think you need to push through this to get out the other side when you can have sober nights out, have all the fun but none of the hangover! I order you to get back to your grateful lists, take each day at a time & stick with us. My lecture is over.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 weeks CuteNGayYay! and 18 days Sath! and I think its coming up on like 11 weeks for you JJ? and nearly one month for you Struggling? Nice job everyone! And great job making it past the craving Linners! Evenings tend to be my vulnerable time too.

Struggling - I know it might seem like you're missing out by not drinking, but we really can have just as much fun sober, and sometimes even MORE fun since its real fun that we can actually remember. As I've hinted to, I've struggled with staying sober for awhile now including having about a year a couple of times, and at one point I went on an AA camping trip with a mens group and I can honestly tell you there were like 10 of us sober guys and we spent both evenings doing nothing but laughing our butts off because sober happy people with their wits about them can have some really wicked senses of humor. I don't think I've ever laughed that much in an evening in my life, and it was real laughter, not sloppy chemical-fueled laughter at stuff that isn't really very funny without the drinks, if you know what I mean

So its day 31 for me which also means its 1 month! I'm stoked. I might have to buy myself a pint of gelato or something like that to celebrate after work this evening. I'm meeting with my sponsor though so it will have to wait until after that

I hope you all have a great day!
Old 12-12-2017, 08:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strugglingtoget View Post
Woo hoo CNGY!
But...maybe they're NOT enjoying themselves? Maybe they are struggling in the same way you (we) are, wondering if they should even be out or if they should take that first drink. Maybe they are having an "eff it" moment and will drink far more than they intended and wake up feeling like garbage the next day. Let's assume nothing...

I do understand this feeling though. This is simply what I've been telling myself.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

StartingOver: Congrats on one month!!Yes, get yourself a pint of gelato!! Hope the sponsor meeting went well! I was feeling sorry for myself last night and went for a pint of ice cream!! Not the healthiest coping mechanism, but the hangover is easier and it cost a lot less!!
Thanks for the pep talk! I know there can be joy sober and that much of my drinking leads to sorrow and pain. However, my mind draws me to the fun and excitement and camaraderie of bars. It is part of my struggle.
CNGY: 3 weeks is great!!
Sath: you are doing grate!!
SusieSmiles??? Hope you're well and making progress!
Old 12-12-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Day 31 here woot!

Love those gratitude lists struggling.

Hope the pup is okay Linners!

Congrats to everyone hitting milestones

I worked out this morning n it felt great. Exercise is always a mood improver.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

rather lovely snowy day here. I'm watching the news, quite interested in a certain race, but unlike the last one I watched, I will not let it get me down. It is what it is and out of my control. Present right now and just had a nice email exchange with younger daughter. All is well in this moment.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Awake I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about. I'm there with you. I hope everyone has a great day and evening! Day 22