Notices

Class of November Support Thread 2017 Pt 3

Old 12-15-2017, 07:35 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

No reply

I don’t post on a daily basis. However, I do read posts daily to see how all of us are fairing on our journeys. I use the posts as inspirations to have a positive and a successful day. Today is going to be a good day. Day 16!
Originally Posted by Grateful11 View Post
Over 3 weeks. I'm going to be honest here, I've been in several classes and this is the only class that I feel very disconnected in. All of my posts are just ignored. Not sure why, plus I'm an extremely sensitive person. Don't feel like I deserve to be ignored like this, I've been very supportive of all of your milestones. I get support in the 24 -hour threads but really need support from people in same early days of recovery. if i offended anyone please just let me know instead of outright ignoring me because it hurts very badly to be ignored. I also suffer from depression so this is even more difficult for me.im barely hanging on and have been nothing but nice so don't understand the cold response here?

Hope you all are doing well.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:43 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hey StartingOver: I identify with the kind of lethargy from working alone. I find that I get a mood boost from any AA meeting I attend. There are medical benefits (lower blood pressure, lower cortisol, etc.) as well from being with other people. Once I get a sense of community and caring, I feel MUCH better. That is part of what AA is: a caring community that wants the best for each other!!! And that understands us and our struggle!
Old 12-15-2017, 08:46 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

LiveLike Gold!!
Wow! Congrats on the 33 days! That is awesome!
and what an achievement getting your course work done and getting close to your Masters!!
If you stay sober, I'm confident you can do it!!! Not so sure if the poison starts running your life again!~
Getting a graduate degree is a marvelous achievement of which you have every right to be proud!! Good on ya for sure!!!
Old 12-15-2017, 09:59 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Atye View Post
I don’t post on a daily basis. However, I do read posts daily to see how all of us are fairing on our journeys. I use the posts as inspirations to have a positive and a successful day. Today is going to be a good day. Day 16!
Hi Atye. Day 16 is great! Good to know our random thoughts & writings are helping you!
Old 12-15-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

welcome Atye!
Congrats on the 16 days!

Great to be free of the poison!
I keep reminding myself that trying to get sober will never get easier than this time around!
If I drink again, the drinking will be worse and the attempted recovery will be even harder!
31st day seems easier than my 16th. I do feel that it gets easier as we stay sober longer.
Good luck on your journey!
Old 12-15-2017, 03:14 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Went to a great AA meeting today. On the Promises. Very upbeat long-term sobriety!
Lots of healing and talk of healing!
Quite remarkable caring community!
A place of love and forgiveness!
Old 12-15-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to everyone on their milestones!
I hope everyone has a great sober weekend

D
Old 12-15-2017, 05:25 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

32!

East Coast USA evening!
32 days free from the highly addictive carcinogenic poison known as alcohol!
Calm dinner at home -- no triggers or desires!
Train ride: didn't think of getting drinks for the train! Yeah! --But also did not pass the drinks carts or store!
Simple lunch and an AA Meeting! Yeah!
So: no real challenges; did not seem difficult or a b burden!

Grateful to be free another day! Grateful to God for his grace!
Grateful for support and community!

Old 12-15-2017, 08:46 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Feeling a little better today. Reflecting on my distorted thinking. Thanks to all of you for your posts.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:26 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad to see you Grateful11

you too Strugglingtoget

D
Old 12-15-2017, 09:36 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm sorry that you feel that way Grateful.
I'm sure noone has an issue with you

I often think thoughts like that can be the AVs way of trying to seperate us from support.

December is always a pretty busy month, and thread, for people quitting and struggling, but I'm glad you spoke up.

I'm sure we'll all try a little more to respond to everyone

D
Thank you Dee, this perspective helps so much. Also, it shows me that I've made some progress in the last 7 years. Before I would have argued with your logic but now I can see it with a different perspective. Thanks so much! This is a huge step for me!

Gratefully,:

:grouphug
Old 12-16-2017, 03:19 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Good to see you back again today grateful11. Do you feel up to sharing with us, telling us a bit about yourself? I think it was Linners that said her posts can sometimes be in response to something that resonates, I think that is true of all of us. In any case, well done on another day!

Having a lazy Sat morning here, I was absolutely exhausted last night, seem to be suffering from fatigue but possibly just needing to get to bed earlier!!!

Well done on another day Struggklimg, you sound SO much more upbeat which is great to read!

Susiesmiles, you ok?

Look forward to everyone else checking in later.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:33 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

32.5!

USA East Coast morning!
Grateful for another day free from the highly addictive carcinogenic poison known as alcohol!
Grateful for 32 straight days free from the highly addictive carcinogenic poison we call alcohol!
Grateful for a sunrise! OMG: Saturday mornings often brought such devastating hangovers, confusion, lethargy, fog, dehydration and throbbing headache! Grateful to have not permitted the poison to do that to me!
Grateful I did not shame or embarrass myself yesterday!
Grateful I did not permit the poison to have me wake up in an emergency room, jail or worse!
Grateful the poison did not disrupt my sleep yesterday!
Grateful the poison did not depress me!
Grateful the poison did not scare or anger my wife!
Grateful I did not drink the poison at lunch or at work --did not jeopardize my job with the poison!
Grateful I did not permit the poison to cause cancers of the mouth, tongue, throat, stomach, colon, pancreas or liver! Yup--the poison has b been proven to be a deadly carcinogen: scientifically certain!
Grateful I did not further damage my heart --the poison was not able to cause AFIB --leading to stroke--or alcoholic cardiomyopathy!
Grateful I did not permit the poison to further damage my liver, leading to alcoholic fatty liver, cirrhosis, liver failure and death!!
Grateful I did not permit the poison to kill more brain cells -- to damage my abilities to focus and concentrate and remember!
Grateful that without a depressant and disrupted sleep, I have a chance at a great energetic productive day!

Grateful I did not waste large sums of money and lots of time drinking poison yesterday! Argh! I paid for poison --and if you changed the flavor, I paid more for poison!
Grateful I did not retrigger the addiction--Even just one drink retrievers the cravings, the desires and the insane thinking that I c an have a few or drink moderately! That is the definition of an addictive substance--it triggers cravings!
Grateful to see clearly that this is the best chance I will get! If I drink again, my drinking will just get worse and my recovery will get harder! I do not want to go through those first days again!
Grateful that it seems to be getting easier --fewere and less strong desires/thoughts, more relaxed being sober and avoiding the poison!
Grateful I e more clearer and society! They make oodles of money off our addictions! They could not possibly sell the poison if they told the truth about what it does to millions of people! Can you imagine "Hi, would you like to buy some poison? It will destroy and kill you and destroy your family. How much do you want?"
Nope--they make believe and deceive us into believing that drinking poison is glamorous, fun, social, a relief, romantic, sexy! Think just of celebrations! "Oh, if you have something good happen, drink carbonated poison!" ARGH!!
Imagine: why would I WANT to moderate or drink like some others seem to? Why would I want to have "just" two daily doses of poison? To die more slowly? To be depressed longer? To have more bad mornings? ARGH!!! "Sir, would you like red or white poison with your meal?"
Grateful for God's grace is seeing more clearly, in being free for 32 days!
Grateful for all the support and insight others have provided me --here on SR and in AA and elsewhere!
Grateful I am healing and can heal --I did not permit the poison totally to destroy my liver, heart, brain, throat! So, I am healing and can heal more! I have seen the science: abstinence from alcohol allows the body to heal many damages if I/you stop soon enough! And I was at there end!
Grateful I did not permit the poison to have me vomiting this morning!
Grateful I did not drink all the empty calories of the poison --yup, the poison even makes me obese and ugly, leading to diabetes, heart disease and early death for that reason as well!
Grateful for AA and the people who organize it!
Grateful for the folks who created SR and who keep it active, safe and productive!
Grateful that AA teaches me how terribly destructive the poison is: it destroys lives, families, marriages, jobs, careers, communities! It leads to many deaths in many ways, it leads to DWIs, DUIs, reckless homicides, accidents, emergency rooms, institutions, detoxes, rehabs, outpatient clinics, therapists, jails for alll sorts of reasons, fights, lost children, damaged children, anguish, remorse!
ARGH! So clear that alcohol is a terribly destructive addictive poison!
Grateful I am not alone: millions of folks from all backgrounds struggle along with me every day! Millions suffer! 88,000 a year die from alcohol related causes! 33,000 a year from opiates! It is an addiction!
I am not defective or less than or somehow inferior because I have this struggle! I am just one human among many!
Grateful I see that many people overcome the poison and have joyful productive lives! Grateful I see role models for a way to stay sober and free from the poison!
Grateful I see today that I have not given up a good friend and I am not being "deprived" by staying sober. Rather, I have gotten free from the clutches of my worst enemy --free from that which will kill me!
Grateful for another day free from the highly addictive carcinogenic poison that destroys my body, my mind and my life!
Grateful for 32 days free!
Praying for more freedom, more victories!

Old 12-16-2017, 04:39 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hi Grateful11, glad to see you "today". How is the recovery going? Have you tried AA meetings? I find that I feel really good after I go to one fora all sorts of reasons!
Hey JJ: good to hear from you! Lazy days are awesome when we don't have hangovers, right?
Holiday season is filled with lots of stressors --maybe that's why you're tired?
Also, I find that if I have "challenges" to my sobriety I get tired--lke not drinking a party>

have a great sober day everyone1 Remember this is chance for a betterlif we wil. If we drink, our drinking will get worse and our recovery will get even harder!
Old 12-16-2017, 08:15 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 16 days Ayte, and welcome
I'm glad you're feeling better today Grateful11, and really glad you're with us
Struggling - I completely agree on how much better it can feel once we find that sense of community, and AA is often a great place for that. I know it is for me once I find meetings I like!
JJ - The lazy Saturday morning sounds nice. Mine is going the same so far. Coffee and relaxation feel great after a long week!
LiveLikeGold - Nice work closing in on your masters. That'll be a great accomplishment and one which I'm sure will feel so much better when you're sober when it happens!
Linners - I agree that I think the alcohol fueling at those parties helps lots of people to feel less anxious or maybe annoyed at hanging out with people they work with all week every week hehe. I know I originally used to get bombed at parties because I have so much anxiety in large loud groups where I don't know a lot of people
CuteNGayYay - I hear ya on the sponsor thing. I think if you can find the right one it really helps. I do think sometimes people can get a bit on power trips and that's not really helpful, but there are lots of people who aren't like that in AA.
Susies (both of you) and everyone else I hope you're all doing well too!

Oh and Dee - Thank you for always being so supportive to all of us. You make a big difference to so many peoples' lives here its really appreciated!

I had a really long work day yesterday and didn't have cravings to get wasted specifically but I could feel the pre-thoughts kind of coming on. Just a reaction to being really tired, hungry, and drained, and maybe kind of lonely (living alone I think just coming home to an empty house is a trigger in itself, but my cats do help with that ). I decided since I've been pretty good lately to get a pint of gelato and a bag of potato chips and have those for dinner instead of what I had planned haha. Surprisingly I don't feel that bad this morning. Often after I eat a lot of junk food I wake up with something that feels almost like a hangover, but not today. I'm going to get some exercise in a bit and go shopping so hopefully I can burn off some of the extra calories from last night

I hope you all have a great day (or night wherever you are), and I'll check back later
Old 12-16-2017, 11:40 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hey StartingOver! Glad to hear from you!
Glad you and I are both feeling only food hangovers rather than poison hangovers!!
Let's stay free from poison today!!!
Old 12-16-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

LiveLikeGold, wow, congratulations on your soon to be achievement! That's pretty awesome. Do you want to share what field?
StartingOver, you sound like me in a lot of ways. I work from home sometimes and do enjoy it because of my introverted nature, but it can get awfully lonely and sometimes make me feel more depressed. It's a balancing act of making sure I get enough time with others and time alone. If the scales tip too far in either direction it's not great.

Hi Atye, I'm glad to know that even if you're not posting a lot you're still reading. I read on here all the time, even if I don't have the energy to post. Nice work on day 16!

Grateful, glad you're back. We're just all kind of getting to know each other here the past month or so. Do you have any special plans for the holidays?

As for me, I'm at day 8, which I am very proud and excited to say is the longest in 2 years I've gone without a drink! My last heavy drinking session was on the 4th, and then on the 8th I had 2 drinks. And since then...none! Woo-hoo! It definitely seems easier as the days go on.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Linners820 View Post
LiveLikeGold, wow, congratulations on your soon to be achievement! That's pretty awesome. Do you want to share what field?
StartingOver, you sound like me in a lot of ways. I work from home sometimes and do enjoy it because of my introverted nature, but it can get awfully lonely and sometimes make me feel more depressed. It's a balancing act of making sure I get enough time with others and time alone. If the scales tip too far in either direction it's not great.

Hi Atye, I'm glad to know that even if you're not posting a lot you're still reading. I read on here all the time, even if I don't have the energy to post. Nice work on day 16!

Grateful, glad you're back. We're just all kind of getting to know each other here the past month or so. Do you have any special plans for the holidays?

As for me, I'm at day 8, which I am very proud and excited to say is the longest in 2 years I've gone without a drink! My last heavy drinking session was on the 4th, and then on the 8th I had 2 drinks. And since then...none! Woo-hoo! It definitely seems easier as the days go on.
Congratulations on day 8!!! Thats really cool!!
Old 12-16-2017, 02:00 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Excellent work Linners, day 8 is just great!!

Startingover, what is it they say, HALT? Hungry...lonely, tired? Can't remember the A! Gelato? Is that ice cream? Sounds good!! How many cats do you have? We have 2 oldies, they like to just sleep & eat, & of course find a comfy lap!

Strugglintgtoget, I love a lazy non-hangover morning, it feels so much better!! I swear I sleep longer now, I no longer need to get up to hydrate/get that first cup of tea!! well, when the husband & kids let me sleep that is (they are pretty good though!) You are just about at 33 days?? Amazing!!

Some people have been pretty quiet, I hope you're still with us? I hope that even if people have slipped that they'd come back on, we can all help each other.

Managed to get Christmas cards & wrapping done today, a bit last minute I know!! I used to like wrapping with a glass of wine...but then again I used to do pretty much everything with a glass of wine!!

Good night all, see you in the morning!
Old 12-16-2017, 09:30 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

33!

Grateful to be free from the poison for 33 days!
Dinner party with 2 other couples. Lotsa champagne and wine for everyone else. Seltzer and cranberry for me!
I was fine— did not feel deprived or left out— was simply not an issue.
Productive day. Feels good— usually I’d be hungover most of the day on a Saturday.
Maybe I am really owning the decision not to indulge any more poison!
I can be free from the addictive carcinogenic poison.
Why would I want even just a few glasses of poison?
All I have to do is read the newcomers threads to see the destruction and damaged thinking that alcohol causes!
Grateful to see it is a poison that destroys my body, my mind and my life!
Thank you God for the grace of freedom and please help me stay free from the poison tomorrow!