Notices

Class of November Support Thread 2017 Pt 3

Old 12-14-2017, 01:37 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Huge anxiety this morning but it is what it is, life goes on. Meeting with others from the therapy course I was on for tea & cake, that should be fun, we had a great group of people.

Congrats to all the sober days, we are racking them up!

Work Christmas party tonight....might be part of my huge anxiety trio this morning....I don't like parties these days much at the best of times!! I'll think on it.

Until later for a proper catch up.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:58 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Good luck with the anxiety during the day and with the party tonight!
We all know that the poison will not make the anxiety better.
Have a great sober day!
Old 12-14-2017, 03:39 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

30.5!

USA East Coast morning!
Grateful for another day without poisoning myself!
Grateful I have not poisoned myself for 30+days! Yeah! Longest in a long time; feels real and different!
Grateful for God's grace to avoid the poison!
Grateful I can see clearly that alcohol is a highly addictive carcinogenic poison that destroys my body, mind and life!
Grateful I did not permit the poison to give me another terrible hangover: no throbbing headache, awful dehydration and total fog!
Grateful I did not allow the poison to disrupt my sleep.
Grateful I did not awaken in an emergency room, jail or worse: all things the poison is happy to bring me!
Grateful I did not permit the poison to shame and embarrass me last night!
Grateful the poison did not give me AFIB or damage my heart leading to alcoholic cardiomyopathy and stroke! Yup: the poison causes heart rhythm issues and destroys the heart!
Grateful I did not permit the poison to kill my brain cells, cause fog and confusion and damage my ability to focus, concentrate and remember! Yup: the poison destroys my brain!
Grateful I did not blackout and all that leads to: Yup, the poison is strong enough to actually steal my memory!
Grateful I did not drink so much I die of acute alcohol abuse! Yup: I can drink so much that the poison kills me in one sitting!
Grateful I did not depress myself with the poison! Yup: the poison is a depressant! I seek to be happy and joyful, yet the poison makes me sad, confused and depressed!
Grateful I did not permit the poison to further damage my liver! Yup: the poison causes alcoholic fatty liver disease leading to cirrhosis, liver failure and death --an ugly death! Yup: the poison is well known to destroy my liver!
Grateful the poison did not anger or scare my wife yesterday! Yup: the poison destroys marriages and relationships!
Grateful I did not permit the poison to cause cancers of the mouth, tongue, throat, stomach, colon, pancreas and liver! Yup: the poison is so poisonous and destructive that over time it causes cancers--all very well scientifically proven and demonstrated! The poison is a known powerful carcinogen!
Grateful I did not permit the poison to retrigger my cravings and desires and insane idiotic thinking about it! Yup: the poison is highly addictive! Just one drink can retrigger cravings, insanity! that is the most insidious part! The poison tells me I can have "just a few" or drink "just this once" or "I am no worse than others.." and " its fun" etc.! BS!
Grateful I can see the many delusions and illusions of the poison!
The poison is not itself fun; nothing good comes from the poison: it numbs me and then blinds me
Grateful to see the insidious effects of alcohol marketing and a society addicted to the poison: I am sent regularly false messages concerning the poison: I am shown the poison as a social lubricant, as glamorous, even romantic and sexy; I am shown bars as places of joyful camaraderie. But these are all lies foisted to sell poison and make money for others!!
Grateful I did not waste more money and time on and with the poison yesterday!
Grateful for the support and community of others in this struggle and on this journey!
Grateful for AA and its insights!
AA teaches me that I am not alone: millions of others from all backgrounds and experiences share the struggle with the poison! Proof positive it is a highly addictive poison!
Grateful to be reminded of the terrible destruction that the poison causes: the stories are of destroyed lives, marriages, relationships, families, jobs, careers, communities! Terrible destruction: multiple DWIs, institutions, rehabs, detoxes, hospitals, jails, deaths, overdoses!! Yikes! AA lets me see clearly how destructive the poison is!
Grateful to see the poison is progressive: the damage only gets worse; the drinking and addiction only get worse! The cravings only get worse; the poison gets stronger! and more destructive!
TBFTGGGI!!!
Grateful I can see that many people overcome the poison!
Many people live full joyous lives free from the poison!
There is a way! There can be an end to the struggle and victory!
Grateful for all the help and support getting free from the poison for 30 days!
Grateful I see: this is but the beginning --the poison seeks to lure me back; I can so easily be drawn into the poison's addiction--just one drink!
I see in my life and the life of others: one drink leads me into the poison's addiction! Even one drink leads to many many others!
Grateful i do not have to live today in the fog of alcoholic hangover: the lethargy, the tiredness, the shakes, the nausea, the vomiting..
Grateful to see that I am not giving up a friend or a "fun" life! I am getting free from a highly addictive carcinogenic fatal poison that destroys my body, mind and life!
Thanks everyone for 30 days of victory!
Praying for another victory today!!
Old 12-14-2017, 08:33 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the 30 days Struggling!! That means 1 month right? Great milestone!!

I'm right with you on the anxiety JJ. I skipped the Christmas party at my work this year, just like I skipped the last 2 years too (and went to the one the year before that but didn't have such a great time). If I make it to a year I'll see about going next year though

I also kind of agree with you about the steps Linners. I don't want to discourage you though. I know a lot of people find them transformational. For me AA is mostly about meeting other people in recovery and finding group support, rather than some of the dogma which I have a hard time with sometimes (when I've done my 4th step in the past the Big Book was on my list of resentments...lol).

For me, I'm working from home today on day 33. I'm enjoying learning new stuff for my new team at work and feeling very grateful my head is clear enough at this point to be able to take it in. I'm going to do my midday workout in a few hours and if I'm not too tired will try to finally hit that Buddhist Recovery meeting tonight I've been interested in.

I hope you all have a great day
Old 12-14-2017, 09:47 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

great job on 30 struggling!!!
day 23 here
I tried doing the sponsor thing with AA and it just wasn't for me. I do like going to meetings here and there though just to be around others like me. though.
Have a great day yall!
Old 12-14-2017, 01:11 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I'm with you guys about the hesitance with parties. I often have a hard time in those settings. I really don't like small talk and not to be totally negative but I feel like I spend more than enough time with coworkers at work and the idea of socializing with them outside of work isn't high up there on my "want to" list. I'm wondering if a lot of other people feel the same way and that's why so many tend to get bombed at these events...or maybe it's just the idea of free alcohol?

CNGY and Starting Over, yes, I found the group support/welcoming environment is what I enjoy, and hearing other people's stories. It helps to give me some perspective. So I think that is where I want to leave it, at least for now. I also have a hard time with dogma or anything that feels remotely cult-like; it makes me feel uncomfortable.

JJ, did you go to the party?
Old 12-14-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Well I am just back from the party! I sloped off early with a work friend who also isn't keen on such things! Totally fine not drinking, discovered I quite like lime & soda! It is quite funny watching people get drunk (up to a point!) My work mates don't drink masses though so our table was pretty reserved but still fun! (Half of us weren't drinking anyway.)

Had a lovely catch up with people from the therapy course this morning. All in all, it has turned out to be a good day!

Congrats on all the sober days! Here is to the end of another sober day for us all! Night all.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:56 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good day JJ

Linners ya sometimes it almost can feel cult like at certain meetings and/or with certain people/shares.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:54 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Day 33 almost at a close. At the gym now. Finished this term strong! Now for a nice 2 week vacation from school. Aaah. Then literally 24 weeks until i graduate? What? With my masters? Who me? Lol dont mind me just in a very grateful mood! Hope everyone is ready for a sober weekend!
Old 12-14-2017, 06:57 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Originally Posted by StartingOverNW View Post
Congratulations on the 30 days Struggling!! That means 1 month right? Great milestone!!

I'm right with you on the anxiety JJ. I skipped the Christmas party at my work this year, just like I skipped the last 2 years too (and went to the one the year before that but didn't have such a great time). If I make it to a year I'll see about going next year though

I also kind of agree with you about the steps Linners. I don't want to discourage you though. I know a lot of people find them transformational. For me AA is mostly about meeting other people in recovery and finding group support, rather than some of the dogma which I have a hard time with sometimes (when I've done my 4th step in the past the Big Book was on my list of resentments...lol).

For me, I'm working from home today on day 33. I'm enjoying learning new stuff for my new team at work and feeling very grateful my head is clear enough at this point to be able to take it in. I'm going to do my midday workout in a few hours and if I'm not too tired will try to finally hit that Buddhist Recovery meeting tonight I've been interested in.

I hope you all have a great day
Did u make it the buddhist recovery mtg? Ive been meaning to check 1 put. I will next week!
Old 12-14-2017, 09:32 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Over 3 weeks. I'm going to be honest here, I've been in several classes and this is the only class that I feel very disconnected in. All of my posts are just ignored. Not sure why, plus I'm an extremely sensitive person. Don't feel like I deserve to be ignored like this, I've been very supportive of all of your milestones. I get support in the 24 -hour threads but really need support from people in same early days of recovery. if i offended anyone please just let me know instead of outright ignoring me because it hurts very badly to be ignored. I also suffer from depression so this is even more difficult for me.im barely hanging on and have been nothing but nice so don't understand the cold response here?

Hope you all are doing well.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:58 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Grateful11, I am so, so sorry, I certainly don't mean to offend anyone. Im not making excuses but a lot of the time I only manage to reply personally to the last few posts I see.. I will make sure I don't do this & look out for your posts. I know I can sometimes leave people out by accident - once I checked/asked about Susiegirl & not susiesmiles for example!
I hope you stay with us.
Feel free to give me a virtual kick anytime if I miss a post!!
Old 12-15-2017, 03:32 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry that you feel that way Grateful.
I'm sure noone has an issue with you

I often think thoughts like that can be the AVs way of trying to seperate us from support.

December is always a pretty busy month, and thread, for people quitting and struggling, but I'm glad you spoke up.

I'm sure we'll all try a little more to respond to everyone

D
Old 12-15-2017, 03:50 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hey Grateful:
Sorry that you feel that way.
There are lots of folks who don't respond to my posts all the time.
I could get myself all kerfuddled about that. But I realize that I am responsible for my own recovery and staying free from the poison is the most important thing in my life right now. I figure other people just need to focus on their sobriety to, and don't have the time or energy to respond to everyone!
Glad you're here and Congrats on three weeks.
I aint no expert but it sure does seem to get just a little bit easier every day.
I have found that I get more attention by continuing to post regularly and becoming part of the "flow" of the thread.

I also have learned that Dee is very often spot on!!When I start feeling left out or worse, I figure its my AV wanting to give me an excuse for drinking again!The disease is cunning!
Old 12-15-2017, 04:15 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hi Grateful, I'm so sorry. Definitely not intentional! Like JJ I tend to reply to the last posts seen and especially when something resonates with me and I can really relate. Please continue to post here. I'm grateful for your support and all the support I receive here.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:41 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

31,5!

USA East Coast morning!
Grateful for another day free from the highly addictive carcinogenic poison known as alcohol!
Grateful for 31.5 days free from the poison that destroys my body, my mind and my life!
Grateful that I did not permit the poison to give me a terrible hangover --no throbbing headache, no dehydration, no fog!
Grateful the poison did not disrupt my sleep!
Grateful I did not shame or embarrass myself yesterday!
Grateful I did not permit the poison to black me out -- yup, the poison is so damaging that it actually takes all my memory!
Grateful I did not drink poison and cause AFIB or alcoholic cardiomyopathy --yup, the poison damages my heart, leads to stroke and death.
Grateful I did not awaken in an emergency room, a jail or somewhere worse! Yup--the poison causes accidents, problems with law enforcement and deadly accidents when I don't just "come to" in some strange place!
Grateful I did not vomit blood this morning! Yup, the poison destroys the esophagus, leading to hemmorhaging!
Grateful I did not further damage my liver --the poison destroys liver cells and liver functioning, leading to alcoholic fatty liver, cirrhosis, liver failure and death!
Grateful I did not further damage my brain! Yup, the poison kills brain cells and damages the brain, leading to difficulties focusing, concentrating, remembering and figuring out complex stuff!
Grateful I did not cause mouth, tongue, throat, stomach, colon, pancreatic or liver cancer!!! Yup, the poison has been proven to be a deadly carcinogen --proven to cause cancer!
Grateful I did not get my wife scared or angry by my drunken drinking --yup, the poison destroys marriages and relationships!
Grateful I did not waste oodles of money and lots of time drinking poison yesterday!! My what a stupid pastime!
Grateful I did not retrigger the addiction to the poison! Yup--the poison is not only deadly, it is highly addictive! Even just one drink retriggers the cravings, the desires and the insane destructive thinking that drinking poison is ok and I can have just a little bit of poison!!
Grateful I can see clearly right now: why would I want to have "just a few" doses of poison? Why would I want to drink poison "like others do"? Why would I want the agony of having to fight the poison, the hangovers, blackouts, destruction? There is no such thing as "just a little bit of poison" for me!
Grateful I got to an AA meeting again yesterday!
Grateful for AA and all those who organize and support it!
Grateful for all those who help and support me --here on SR, in AA and in the community as a whole!
Grateful for a full and wonderful day yesterday: AA meeting, Holiday luncheon with santa, nice dinner at a favorite haunt that was very festive, great musical performance in the evening! Spectacular talent and holiday fun!!
Grateful to see: I enjoy all of that without poison! Poison would have detracted from that! I'd have been impaired for much of it!
Grateful to see: the poison numbs me and desensitizes me..it does not add to the joy!
Grateful I see here and in AA: I am not alone!!! I am one among millions! Millions of us from all backgrounds and walks of life struggle with the poison!!
Grateful to be part of a caring community living a struggle together!
Grateful to have AA reinforce the truth: OMG, the stories of destruction --the poison destroys bodies, minds, marriages, relationships, families, jobs, careers, communities! DWIs, DUIs, jails, hospitals often, fights, lost children, accidents and deaths..plenty of deaths in families and friends!
Grateful for the clarity of addiction: there would never be such destruction and such struggle unless the poison is highly addictive!! People would not do this to themselves!
Grateful to hear how addictive the poison is: so many stories of "having just one..." leading to destruction for years!
Grateful to see: it will NEVER get better! there will NEVER be a better time to stay sober! NOW is the time to stay sober, as it will only get worse and worse! Although this may be difficult, it will be worse and harder if I have to do it again!!
OMG: the poison NEVER gets better! I do not want to ever have to do this again!!!
Grateful to recognize how much delusion, illusion and deceit goes on with the poison!
The marketers and society lie to us! Just lies! They make oodles of money by selling an addictive poison! So, what do they do?
Would we buy and drink poison if they told the truth?of course not! Imagine: 'Hi, would you like to buy some poison that will give you cancer, liver failure, brain damage, heart damage, stroke, make you obese, cause you to be terribly ill every morning and take your relationships and job"? "Would you like red or white poison? Poison from France or California"? Ludicrous!
So, they lie! They deceive us into thinking it is glamorous, romantic, sexy, fun, social, party central, etc. And it is all a big lie!'
Alcohol makes us social pariahs! it destroys our ability to connect with anyone!
Grateful I did not permit the poison to depress me yesterday! Yup---it does not make me happy, it actually depresses me! And since it also disrupts my sleep, it ruins my moods and energy!
Grateful the poison did not destroy my muscle mass --yup, the poison detracts from muscle!
Grateful that most of the damage from the poison can heal in me if I stay sober!
Grateful for God's grace keeping me sober, leading me to these insights!
Grateful for the support and outlet I get here at SR!
Grateful for everyone else's sobriety! Glad for you!
Grateful for yesterday's victory!!
Praying for another victory today!!!!
Old 12-15-2017, 04:44 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi Grateful11:
Please tell us a bit about yourself and your journey.
What do you do for your recovery? Do you go to AA or RR or SMART? Therapy?
What was your drinking like?
What challenges are you facing in staying sober?
What challenges did you overcome in your first 3 weeks?
What have been the most difficult parts of getting sober for 3+weeks?
How can others help you?
Do you have family support?
Old 12-15-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Struggling, you beat me to those questions!! I'll log on later to see your reply Grateful!

I was so happy this morning, singing in the car on my way to work after a sober party last night! When I think of the fool I've made of myself in years gone by at such parties!!
Old 12-15-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJ991 View Post
Struggling, you beat me to those questions!! I'll log on later to see your reply Grateful!

I was so happy this morning, singing in the car on my way to work after a sober party last night! When I think of the fool I've made of myself in years gone by at such parties!!
Glad you are happy and sober today JJ! And, boy am I with you about being more the fool than the star at those parties when drinking! Once again, the poison deluded me! Have a great sober day!
Old 12-15-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grateful11 View Post
Over 3 weeks. I'm going to be honest here, I've been in several classes and this is the only class that I feel very disconnected in. All of my posts are just ignored. Not sure why, plus I'm an extremely sensitive person. Don't feel like I deserve to be ignored like this, I've been very supportive of all of your milestones. I get support in the 24 -hour threads but really need support from people in same early days of recovery. if i offended anyone please just let me know instead of outright ignoring me because it hurts very badly to be ignored. I also suffer from depression so this is even more difficult for me.im barely hanging on and have been nothing but nice so don't understand the cold response here?

Hope you all are doing well.

Hi Grateful - I'm really sorry if I/we've been missing your posts! I try to reply to the recent ones, but sometimes feel a little overwhelmed trying to reply to everyone. It had nothing to do with you! Its great that you're over 3 weeks, and I'm really glad you're here with us!!! Whats going on with the depression? Does it feel like its coming from any place in particular? I get that way when I feel isolated among other things (see below)

LiveLikeGold6 - I did not make the meeting, too tired again after working all day with a workout in the middle of it. I think working from home has something to do with it too, it just kind of leaves me feelign a little lonely and depressed and low energy in general from being alone inside all day. I'm still interested in making it to it though, maybe as I get more time and energy. Let me know how yours goes if you go!