Notices

One Year & Over Part 56

Old 12-05-2017, 05:41 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hi, Itch!

I was behind a Tesla today at a red light!
Old 12-05-2017, 06:14 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Gilmer, that’s exciting :-)

Mags and Itchy, vertigo is awful! About 4 years ago I developed really miserable vertigo in the middle of an aerobics class and it just didn’t want to go away. Apparently some salt crystals had migrated into my semicircular canals (or something like that) - it happens more easily as we get older - and that disrupted my feelings of balance. In my case it was fixable via some specific movements. I hope I never have that again!
Old 12-05-2017, 11:17 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Mags sending you supporting hugs vertigo sounds awful.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:35 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi guys, off to meet a friend for coffee today. Haven't seen each other for ages even though we live in the same town. Too busy getting on with life! Should be nice. Will do some Christmas shopping while I'm in town, I put the tree and decs up at the weekend but still not in the mood. Just not feeling it this year. Everything seems additional chores rather than the precursor to excitement. Perhaps it's an age thing. Or perhaps it's because Muggins here does all the bloody work!
Old 12-06-2017, 01:28 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I’m going for coffee with my matron of honor today. We see each other once a year, and we always have a blast. We are completely at ease: we’ve been through thick and thin since we were 12 (46 years ago)!
Old 12-06-2017, 01:42 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Gilmer, that sounds like fun :-)

Toots, you have been so incredibly busy and productive that maybe your brain and/or body are telling you to take a break? I think of the energizer bunny!

I must admit that I dread December and usually feel like I am just slowly trudging along. Perhaps too many years of December birthdays (3 in my immediate family including me). Then there are the gray days .... I try to avoid as many holiday activities around here that I can!

Have a happy hump day, Overs
Old 12-06-2017, 03:08 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

BRRRRR!!! It's a frigid 23F here this morning with a stiff wind, making it feel like single digits. Just a small taste of what's ahead, I'm sure.

Happy Burning, Itch!

Am still making small gains on my book project. We've already sold 400 copies, so I'm going to have to finish it eventually.

Have a Happy Hump-Day, overs!
Old 12-06-2017, 05:42 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

GOOD WEdnesday Overs,

Well wishes for all that need them.

I'm coming down sick. Aate a clove of garlic and will try and rest today.

Off to pt soon and then take it easy.

Love to ALL!
Old 12-06-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Gilmer, that sounds like a blast. It's great to have a lifelong friend like that.

Itchy, don't blow off SAD symptoms. I self medicated myself for 35 years every fall and winter. I finally went to the doctor this week to discuss possible solutions now that self medicating is off the table. Depression is not something to trifle with!

Saskia, I am kind of with you. This month is a slow trudge to the finish line, especially in my line of work. The cold, gray days make it difficult sometimes. My drinking always spiked hard this time of year. I hope you can find the inner peace you seek, and possible enjoy what you want of the holidays ahead.

Kris, I hope this is just a cold and not something more severe. Fingers crossed!

Enjoy the day all!
Old 12-06-2017, 06:39 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
BRRRRR!!! It's a frigid 23F here this morning with a stiff wind, making it feel like single digits. Just a small taste of what's ahead, I'm sure.

Happy Burning, Itch!

Am still making small gains on my book project. We've already sold 400 copies, so I'm going to have to finish it eventually.

Have a Happy Hump-Day, overs!
It was the same here....omg....it was so cold it hurt.
I bought pajamas. I am going to have to wear them....haven't worn PJs to bed since I was a kid.

Love and good morning etc.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:42 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Sometimes it really does come out of nowhere. I was driving home from work, and started thinking about the SR gang and stuff when from the back of my mind came the thought: My quit date was the day I stopped drinking everyday, so if I have one, that won’t change anything. I yelled at myself “shut-up!”.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:26 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Magsie

Nice one Dragon! We can’t stop thoughts coming in our head but we can control what we do with them.

Itchy, it’s going to be the naughty corner for you! Tut.

Sassy I’ve tried those exercises for vertigo, I’m pleased yours went, up to now mines still here., though like itchy, I’m compensating. Especially at a right turn I have to take in the car. The way I see it with a funny head, I would hit the bollard in the middle of the road so I have to go wider than I normally would, I think!

Toots hope you soon feel in the Christmas spirit soon.

Gilmer, it’s good to have a lifelong friend, I too am privileged to have a friend I’ve known most my life.

Suze, I hope the PJ’s do the trick, I imagine it will take a while for you to acclimatise to the weather.

Works doc has kept me on half days at work until the new year. Which I’m pleased about, give me chance to get my head right, hopefully.

Have a good Thursday overs.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:27 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Gil,
You need to test drive one! I have. Faster than anything I've ever driven and wildly different. Nine of the busy intrusive noises of all the moving parts of the gas/diesel engines and tranny shifting. It is like being shot from a slingshot and there is only one gear. You pull "g"s into the back of your seat.

Sassy,
Me neither! Glad yours left you too.

Toots,
We married men adore the nesters that create our homes, our beds, our holiday atmosphere. My SH (my SH=Significant Harassment with whom I've shared 45 years of married "bris")
With her mom dying in the fall of 2015 we had a minimal holiday season. Then my FIL was too ill to have Thanksgiving 2016 and died just before Xmas. We had no decorations until this year. I never got into outside decor, but she always made our home a holiday palace. So to celebrate the return of our holiday spirit I have three laser light projectors doing an amazing light show. She does it for the ambiance in which our joy resides. Toots and all you ladies of spirit, thank you!

Gil,
Looks like we were joined with our SHs around the same time. Is she still a maid? Women worried in my day about winding up an old maid. I once wound up an old maid and we both had a marvelous time! Glad you've friends that solid.

Sassy,
I'm sorry you have gray times during the Holidays.

FBL,
It is cold for here, 40°. Glad you're making steady progress. I came, I mulched, I burned, and the pile still smolders.

Kris,
I hope it's nothing and you feel better fast.

Star,
Thanks bud. I'm not built that way. I was self medicating the lumbar and cervical pain for years. They're much better nowadays. My doc once gave me an anti depressive ten years ago to quit smoking, Wellbutrin. It made me smoke more, drink more, eat more and was the cause of my weight gain. It gave me the shakes and I was so determined to quit smoking, I kept taking it because he said it would suddenly make me not crave. Six months later my doc apologized and said it has that opposite effect on one in a thousand. I was smoking three packs a day after that. Three years later I checked into detox in hospital and in seven days got clean. I was done with both. Of course I stayed on the patches for a year, but I made it. Having the blues a bit makes the contrast to appreciate the joyous moments, and the serene times. Star, good luck with it and don't wait as long as I did if it is worse than the problem. I'm good. It is my rhythm.

Suze,
Onesies? We do 100% white goose down comforter, a cozy duvet and gel memory foam mattress. We like the BR to be about 62-65. How is your metric adapting to US measures?

Dragon,
Good move? You'll be OK as the cravings do go away. But only as long as you stay with the program. Mine has only two steps:
1. Don't drink.
2. Repeat as necessary.

Nite all!
Old 12-06-2017, 11:33 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Toots are you ready for storm Caroline? The met office are predicting we will have snow all day. I'll believe it when I see it.

Have a good one everyone.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:10 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

ST, I still occasionally have a drinking thought but it doesn’t have any power over me anymore. The longer I go, the more comfortable I feel. These days it’s no longer a craving but more like a passing thought. From my IOP I learned to “think it through to the end” and now it takes about 2 seconds to do that and it’s become automatic. Practice makes perfect!

FBL, sounds like the book project is keeping you busy.

Kris, feel better soon!

SG, thanks. After all these years I know this will pass quickly so it’s bearable. I’m still learning how to cope with stuff like this :-)

Suze, enjoy the PJs . Just get some gorgeous sexy ones...

(((Mags)))

Thanks, Itchy!

Hi Andy and all Overs - have a good Thursday.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:53 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Bracing myself Andy. It's been gusting all night and dud E to reach speeds of 60mph. Depending on the gusts that might or might not close the Tay road bridge. I don't think we are due snow here until maybe Sunday, but like you, I expect it when & if I see it! We are quite protected here, so if we do see any of the white stuff, it rarely lingers, though we have had a couple of bad winters since I was shanghaied and dragged north of the border.

Sass, I have had a lot of stress relating to a couple of flats we own and have been in the process of selling since May. One was due to complete last Friday, and as yet hasn't. The other is due to complete ( to the same purchaser) next Friday, there are complications with both properties that limit purchasers so I have stuck with this guy instrpeadinstead of cutting him loose months ago. But it has been frustrating and, as I said, stressful.

I'm wondering whether I am suffering SAD. I have so much to be grateful for, and am so fortunate in my life, yet at the moment am crying at news items, movies and even commercials that would normally just induce the gag reflex. I have taken AD's in the past but have been free of them for a couple of years now and loath the thought of having to start back on them. I may look into getting a light box.

Suze I remember when I stepped outside in Boston into temps around 5F. Now that hurt! It was too painful to go out unless absolutely necessary, the Charles River froze completely and part of me wondered whether considering moving to the US was our wisest idea! In the part of Scotland we live we can get subzero (Celcius) temps during the day, but more often it is just dreich damp and dark.
( I've held out for sleeping in the scud, apart from bed socks and a hot water bottle! Though I do have pj's to wear around the house. )

FBL, keep plodding away mate, you'll get there! We have a quiz on radio two here called Popmaster, and whenever I listen to it I think of your expertise!

Dragon that darned AV doesn't noow when to quit!

Hubby back a day early this week, picking him up tonight. Have a tremendous Thursday everyone
Old 12-07-2017, 03:33 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Congrats on 40 months sober, Sassy!

Our new server is making a BIG difference on the speed of my project. I may just finish it on time now! January 31 is my official deadline. If I put in some extra time and effort I SHOULD make it just under the wire.

A little light snow here this morning. Looks like we might get a White Christmas here this year.

Have a Thunderous Thursday, overs!
Old 12-07-2017, 05:27 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

check'n in with the yuletide season on us
Old 12-07-2017, 05:34 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Hey, Zip!
Old 12-07-2017, 05:58 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hi, Zip!

“Wound up an old maid”—LOL!

Actually, my friend (I like to jokingly call her THE MATRON) got married in 1981 (I was a bridesmaid for her), then I got married later, in ‘84.

I’m currently trying to hide out from my grandkids till I get acclimated to being awake—but my grandson just busted in on me: “I Want Oatmeal!”

We ought to put an addition onto the house with secret trapdoors and revolving library walls! Actually, I really do think those are extremely cool! I understand Teller of Penn and Teller has a house like that. In 6th grade I had a friend who had a really cool playroom (“fort”) in the attic—and her house had a laundry chute that we were still small enough to slide down (the game was over when Janice S. got stuck)!