Notices

Class of November Support Thread 2017 Pt 2

Old 11-20-2017, 05:34 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Susiesmiles View Post
I'm so sorry, you sound like you are at a breaking point. I'm only on Day 20 after years of what you have described (except I am a OT!) (and I divorced my husband). The only thing I can say is that you just have to make the choice to not buy it anymore (I know....). Naltrexone helps my cravings, not promoting medication but it and my choice to quit is saving my life right now. I feel so much better and I have been where you are, trust me. At one point I was drinking 12 beers a day (I'm also a woman early 40's), I was dumping my cans at random dumpsters on the way to work, I was so puffy and red my face looked like the girl on Willy wonka that blew up! You literally couldn't walk through my floor from the mess, as I got so down and broken. I had 2 broken bones, a chipped tooth and bruises all the time. Towards the end if I threw up I'd also pee on myself. Make the choice, I'm rooting for you. Say to yourself everyday, I'm so glad I don't have to drink today and see if your husband will get on board. XxxhugsxxX. Ps..... I get so many compliments on my skin now, it's made a HUGE difference!
Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. My doctor has given me naltrexone actually and I have taken it in the past but sometimes it made me feel dizzy. Does that stop? I should have just kept taking it, maybe I will try again. The dizziness was not that bad and I am sure it will pass. Anyway yes, I used to be skinny had great skin etc, now I'm just a big ole mess. I'm 36 and look like crap! And yes embarrassing as it is I also did the pee thing!
Old 11-20-2017, 05:39 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Good evening folks. Hang in there letsdance. Just focus on not drinking today.

That’s great you have support Stevie. Something I wish I had from my family. It’s one reason I’ve decided not to spend T-giving with them this year. Before anyone feels bad for me, believe me, I’m much better off this way. Too triggering.

Even though I’ve felt much better physically all day, mentally and emotionally I’m a wreck. I take meds for anxiety and such, but I’m sure alcohol really hinders their effectiveness and exacerbates my symptoms. Something I just have to deal with as I look to remove alcohol for good this time. I know early sobriety is no cakewalk. Returning to the drink like I have so many times just keeps me in this cycle. Booze is no solution. I’ve had a stubborn time accepting that.

Hang in everyone. It’s a stressful time of year. Heck of a time to quit. We can do it.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:06 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

7!!!

9:00 pm in America! Made it past 7 days sober! Great victory! Grateful for not ingesting a poison that causes cancer! Grateful I don’t have to vomit from the poison! Grateful for the clear head rather than the hangover headaches and dehydration! Grateful I did not make a fool of myself. Grateful I am in a much better mood because I did not ingest a depressant! Grateful I feel much better about myself! Grateful the wife is not angry at me! Grateful I did not waste time and money drinking! Grateful I have been able to make it to 7 days! Grateful for ST and the Support and comraderie here! Wow! I used to think I was losing my best friend but in truth I get to kill my worst enemy! My life is so much better sober, so much worse drinking! I am so fortunate to be able to be free from alcohol today —-and forever if I work it! Went to AA meeting; great shares including mine! Got support and live and affection there!
Old 11-20-2017, 06:09 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Congrats!

Congrats to all of us who have been sober today or trying! Any day sober is a victory for me and, I suspect, for you. While there are so many struggles, we are all so fortunate to be both trying and succeeding, even if for now for just a day or a few.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:45 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Wow. Tough day today. Lots of depression today and don’t know why.
I did not sleep well last night so that could have been
Part of it.
No desire to drink but depression sucks.
See you all tomorrow.

Asixstringnut
Old 11-20-2017, 06:46 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi Letsdance, welcome
Old 11-20-2017, 06:48 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by asixstringnut View Post
Wow. Tough day today. Lots of depression today and don’t know why.
I did not sleep well last night so that could have been
Part of it.
No desire to drink but depression sucks.
See you all tomorrow.

Asixstringnut
Hi Six, I hear you with the depression. Today was ok for me but yesterday was horrible for some reason. This time of year always gets me down, for various reasons, but the getting dark at 4:30 thing just ruins my mojo. I also had a pretty lousy sleep last night plus disturbing dreams so I'm in that boat too. I try to get as much sunlight as I can this time of year. Are you able to get outside at all?
Old 11-20-2017, 10:35 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Thanks wildflower. I sucked it up and went to work. Better to be busy...

Day 12 done!

I rewarded myself by taking the amount I would have typically spent on booze and put it toward my credit card bill. Boom! That feels damn good.

Happy sober thoughts to all y'all.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:28 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Hi everyone. Day 9 down. Feels nice to be counting days again. Im sooo done using alcohol to self medicate my social anxiety low self esteem identity confusion and just plain akwardness. Im so done letting a weekend of binge drinking leave me feeling sick panicky guilty and like ive taken several steps backwards again! I accept that i cant drink and that ive got stuff to do like learn how to cope with my anxiety anger and stress. I also recognize that now is the perfect time to get clean and sober and right with myself, clean up my side of the street as it were. Im in grad school to go into a helping profession and i want to emulate a professional that practices what she preaches.. even if im still akward n clumsy im still compassionate and loving and worth sobriety.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:44 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

On to day 10.

Feel really groggy this morning, almost like a hangover but i'm glad it's not. Just going to keep on keeping busy.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:58 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Woah, I've missed so much overnight!
Welcome letsdance, we are all here for you.
I too suffer from anxiety, I'm not sure if it was caused by the alcohol but I still have it, albeit it is much better. I guess the medication is working better now that I'm alcohol free!
I'd like to reply more personally but I'm at work on my phone...better get some work done!!
Hang in there everyone!
Old 11-21-2017, 02:27 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Day 14 .... Wow I have never got this far before ! So happy an feel great! Still have mega a health anxiety of the damage I have done to my liver but to scared to get tests done as my husband knows nothing about my alcohol problem.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:25 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by letsdance View Post
Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. My doctor has given me naltrexone actually and I have taken it in the past but sometimes it made me feel dizzy. Does that stop? I should have just kept taking it, maybe I will try again. The dizziness was not that bad and I am sure it will pass. Anyway yes, I used to be skinny had great skin etc, now I'm just a big ole mess. I'm 36 and look like crap! And yes embarrassing as it is I also did the pee thing!
Yes, the dizziness stops. The first couple of days was not good. Take it at night after you eat and you will sleep good. I'm here anytime you want to talk. You might even want to try it when you have a few days off. Right now I nap everyday after work but I still sleep good at night. I used to refuse to nap because it interfered with my drinking time! You can do this. Have a beauty day every Sunday or whenever! I do face masks etc. you will start feeling better about yourself and people will notice! I also clean like a mad woman, it's my thing... keeps me busy!
Old 11-21-2017, 05:05 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Hello all you wonderful Novies. I'd thought I would just quickly drop in and say hi! 5 years ago I was in your shoes, burdened by the weight of an addiction that was constantly causing catastrophic consequences for my life. For a long time, I thought that that was just a cross I had to bear, that drinking was my unique way of dealing with the world and all of its problems.

5 years later that seems ridiculously crazy. This disease/disorder/illness/problem, whatever you want to call it is beatable, and there is a better life waiting for each and every one of you here.

So keep up the good fight peeps, I'll be cheering for you guys, and if anyone needs or wants any advice or questions, shoot me a PM!

Your brother in sobriety,

Nomis.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
SWB

Day four in the books. It’s been quite some time since I could say that. Had an errand yesterday that took me next door to my usual packie, couldn’t get out of there fast enough.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Morning in America! Now at 7.5 days sober! Grateful I woke without a terrible hangover. Grateful I did not shame myself last night! Grateful alcohol did not disrupt my sleep, so I slept better and feel much better this morning! Grateful I did not drink a powerful depressant, so I am in a much better mood! Grateful I did not increase my risks of cancers and did not further damage my brain, my heart, my liver and my esophagus! Grateful I did not poison myself! Grateful I have a chance at another day sober — free from the prison alcohol put me in! I did not give up my best friend—-I am killing my mortal enemy!
Old 11-21-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Linners820 View Post
Hi Six, I hear you with the depression. Today was ok for me but yesterday was horrible for some reason. This time of year always gets me down, for various reasons, but the getting dark at 4:30 thing just ruins my mojo. I also had a pretty lousy sleep last night plus disturbing dreams so I'm in that boat too. I try to get as much sunlight as I can this time of year. Are you able to get outside at all?
Linners

Thanks for your reply. I live in the Pacific North West so we never see the sun. lol Actually that is not true but the winters are brutal.
I was wondering if it is too early in my sobriety to be suffering from PAWS? I only have 21 days today so I could still be in the acute stages of withdrawals.
My sleep cycle is all messed up, I go to bed to early because I am tired and wake up at 3:30 in the morning.
I hope it all sorts it's self out.
I so can relate to your symptoms.

asixstringnut
Old 11-21-2017, 07:11 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hello. Good day today. No drink or thoughts of drink, busy doing other stuff. Am very happy with that! Have a good sober day wherever you are!
Old 11-21-2017, 07:41 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Morning folks, just a quick checkin for me on day 10 before I head off to see my therapist. Its starting to feel a lot better - the early jitters are gone, and with what I've learned in therapy I feel very hopeful about the future. I hope you all have a great sober day

Originally Posted by asixstringnut View Post
Linners

Thanks for your reply. I live in the Pacific North West so we never see the sun. lol Actually that is not true but the winters are brutal.
I was wondering if it is too early in my sobriety to be suffering from PAWS? I only have 21 days today so I could still be in the acute stages of withdrawals.
My sleep cycle is all messed up, I go to bed to early because I am tired and wake up at 3:30 in the morning.
I hope it all sorts it's self out.
I so can relate to your symptoms.

asixstringnut
Hey Asix - I'm in the pacific northwest too. I think we're about to head into about 2 months straight of less than 9 hrs/day of sun. This is the time of year which always gets to me too. I've been popping vitamin D though, and plan to get as much light as I can. Hang in there! Spring is just a few months away! (lol)
Old 11-21-2017, 07:56 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hi Linners and a six. I'm in the PNW as well and definitely suffer from SAD as well. I didn't when I Was hung over, or at least didn't notice it. I've pulled out the SaD lamp again and it is definitely making a difference.

Okay. In to day 13.

Cheers!