Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 32

Old 12-14-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Glad all's well in your world Dee. I bet it's warm there?

I've finished my first week at work....but I've brought home quite a lot of reading to plough through over the weekend. I have a lot to learn, but I find that quite exciting at the moment.

We've just brought in our Christmas tree, it smells lovely. I'll decorate it tomorrow....hopefully the lights will be working. There's nothing worse than spending time untangling the lights, carefully placing them round the tree, before plugging them in and finding that they don't work. I suppose Christmas wouldn't be the same without the last minute dash to the hardware shop for new lights. .

Hope everyone's week is going well.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:51 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Sunday afternoon here. I haven't been to visit my dad today because my brother is with him and I thought I'd have a week off and let them have some quality time together. My brother and his partner stayed here on Friday night....a very late night, which wiped me out for pretty much the whole of Saturday. I was the only one not drinking, they always bring wine down with them.

A small success though.....they also brought some none alcoholic drinks with them (sparkling grape juice) for me. It was a kind thought, but I'll save it until Christmas. It's nice to think that my sobriety has been accepted and respected (after 3 and a half years!)

I'm really enjoying having Sunday at home.

Hope everyone's having a peaceful sober weekend.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:58 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Have a great start to the week everyone!
Old 12-17-2017, 11:05 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Free,...glad your new job is holding promise . Lo,.. I can see the wheels turning saving that sparkling juice !!

Decided to take a spur of the moment trip to Tenn. last week ,....and had several opportunities to untangle more than a few strings of lights up there.

My decorations consist of three small snowmen sewn by someone my sister in Mi. knows . They live 11 and a half months a year inside a small decorative Christmas shopping bag on the ledge over the door to the kitchen.
,.... just chipping in to resist commercializing the peculiar frenzied shopping mania that used to get a hold on me every year .

Maybe not watching TV has helped in more ways than one !?

Really need to make at least a feeble attempt to actually make something ( ....anything ) resembling a Christmas ornament . My kid is sentimental for that kind a thing .

Time for me to head on home ,.... 2am come and gone in a flash .

Hope everyone is having a moment or two of serenity this week .
Old 12-17-2017, 11:07 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Administrator

it sure is hot FreeIn

D
Old 12-18-2017, 10:52 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

I think as far as Christmas decorations go the "less is more" philosophy works well, Tops. There's a bit of craze around here for little wooden reindeer, made out of two small logs (head and body) a shorter and narrower log for the neck, twigs for the legs and antlers. They look quite sweet.

Hope you're able to stay cool Dee. We have the opposite problem here ....

I'm finding it hard to wind down when I get home from work, my mind seems to be over active at the moment. It'll calm down after a week or two I hope. Until then I'll be upping my meditation commitment. There's always so much going on this time of year, it's crazy.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can handle the weather better sober thats for sure FreeIn

D
Old 12-18-2017, 10:34 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Me too, Dee
Old 12-18-2017, 11:24 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Starting pretty darn slow climbing staircases again at work the last two nights . It's amazing how tonight felt so much easier ,...but kept it short like last night .
Old 12-19-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

I was wondering if you were back with your staircase workouts Tops. It'll probably take a while to get back to your former Olympic feats of endurance!

Mariah, how are you doing with your stair climbing at work?

I keep meaning to wear my pedometer in to work, to see how many steps I do in the day. It's good to have a target to aim for. I'm still doing a half hour workout every morning, but I think I might start to add a short run at the weekends. It's difficult to prioritise the time though.

UP, did you think anything more about Tai Chi?

Have a sober and healthy week all
Old 12-21-2017, 11:01 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Day off today, hoping to stock up on most of the Christmas food. The supermarket will be chaos today so we're hitting it early. Christmas should be a relaxing time, but it ends up being so stressful for everyone. I would prefer to spend Christmas on my own, to be honest, curled up with a good book. But we have my dad staying for a few days, and some of my family coming over on Christmas day. We all get on ok, it's just I find entertaining people really exhausting.
Dad basically invited himself to stay.....I'm not sure when he's planning to go back home??
I'm sorry to sound so grumpy about this season of peace, harmony and "goodwill to all men", but I thought I'd be open and honest here, because I can't really express my lack of Christmas spirit to anyone else without being judged harshly.

Anyway, it's Friday and I'm in for the Bargain.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:17 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Administrator

definitely in - too many incursions lately on SR by addiction for my liking.
Time to reclaim some ground for recovery guys

D
Old 12-22-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Count me in.
Been dealing with plenty of stress here and it doesn't have to do with the Holliday.

Haven't taken time to get into taichi, free. I will once I get things settled.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Hope things will be settled soon UP, I'm looking forward to hearing about your martial arts prowess in 2018

Dee, I'm with you on the recovery push. I think Christmas can be a dangerous time for many of us. I'll be continuing to check in every day to replenish my sober soul. It might be difficult while I'm looking after my dad, but, alongside my spiritual life, sobriety remains my priority.

I hope everyone stays sober and safe this Christmas
Old 12-23-2017, 01:24 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Day 1 here for me....I didn’t drink yesterday but certainly still under the influence...was hell of a day. I did some very risky business the other night in a black out....lucky to not be spending Christmas in jail at the least. So much shame & self hatred right now.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Mariah but I'm glad you made it back.
Have a safe and sober Xmas, ok?

take good care of yourself.

D
Old 12-23-2017, 07:08 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

I will Dee, thank you.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:59 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Mariah, sorry to hear about the other night but glad you're okay. Don't let the shame egg on the AV. Shame and self-loathing tried to tell me that sobriety wasn't worth it, but you're so very worth it Mariah!

The Holidays are such a tough time. I'm with my boyfriend's family. Thanksgiving with them three years ago was the last time I drank. I see now what a pressure cooker they all are and it's hard not to get sucked into that stress. So much judgment and hoop jumping all in the name of the best show of Holiday spirit... I understand your Bah Humbug, free. After a tough semester I'd rather be home with some hot tea and a good book. Instead I'm driving all across the state running errands.

Still, it's all better sober and it's better knowing that you all are out there too. I'm very in for the bargain this holiday weekend!!
Old 12-23-2017, 11:23 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Thank You Rocks......I hope you end up with some down time. I hate the hustle & bustle of it all.

Night All
Old 12-23-2017, 11:46 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Welcome back to the fold Mariah