Notices

Class of October 2017 Support Thread pt. 3

Old 11-04-2017, 10:46 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

I can't just sit here without saying how bad the gators are doing. For those outside the country, the University of Florida Gators.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:37 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Originally Posted by LuluBread View Post
Also good to read LHW, Mel, Kit, Soul, CC, Bright, Bimini, Badge, RDuck, rmeat, SVic, Chloe (bob and ready included), and everyone else not listed 2 pages back....and Dee. Keep up the good fight and have a safe and sober Saturday.
I was just wondering how many members do we have in our October 2017 Class....
Old 11-04-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

OK Ladies. I'm going to come clean with my wife tonight. she has no idea that I've made wonderful friends on this website or that I have done away with booze. She thinks it is just a temporary thing. She has been looking at my laptop while I've been on it, probably thinking bad things. I love her and it's been 34 years and we've had a blessed life. I hope it goes well. She's not an alcoholic.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bobdrop View Post
I love her and it's been 34 years and we've had a blessed life. I hope it goes well.
Quitting alcohol is the best thing we all have done in our lives. Thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way....and hope it goes well.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:08 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Hey all,

Day didnt go as planned with the whole possible relationship thing I spoke about.

Long story short, she asks me to pick her up from (of all things a wine tasting event) with her friends before we did anything. Like im a designated driver or something. And even if I did, we would already be on a whole different wavelength, me being sober and her not. Deal breaker #1

Then, she "instructs" me to pick her up in my new car, not my everyday driver that I commute in. Lol, guess shes too good to be seen in a Subaru Impreza. Deal breaker #2

So, I thought about it long and hard, then I went fishing. End of story.

Im pretty bummed and really want to drink but am not going to.

This sober life isn't easy...

Brighten
Old 11-04-2017, 04:44 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrightenMeUp View Post
I know you are bummed and having a hard time....sorry. But this made me kinda chuckle (not laughing at situation) but the way it kinda sounds. Ya know what I mean?

Hang in there Brighten, you are doing the right thing for your life. And yep, it's tough....I'm right there with ya!
Old 11-04-2017, 04:44 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that BMU, but good thing you found out now. Did you catch any fish?

I went to the fall festival and there were wine tasting stands set up all over. I longed for a few tastings, but kept on walking. I went to a few shops, bought some gifts for my family’s Christmas Pollyanna and came home. There were lines a mile long just to get some fresh apple cider. Geez.

All settled in for the night. Catching up on Season One of Good Behavior. Quiet night....again.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:46 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

BMU sorry things didn't turn out or have the opportunity you were wanting.. but... good on you for #1 recognizing the red flags and #2 staying positive about it. Bravo!!
And hilarious that you went fishing - I love it!! I hope you had a good time.

good luck bob, sending best wishes - I hope your wife has a positive reaction and that you in turn have a positive response no matter what. let us know how it goes.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:50 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Yeah, BMU, I hear ya.

But if you'd still been drinking, you might have ignored your instincts. God knows I did a time or million when I was drinking and all kinds of unfortunate things happened as a result. Better to find a woman who will value and be thrilled about your sobriety. It's a desirable character trait, trust me.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:08 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Here I go. God help me.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bobdrop View Post
I can't just sit here without saying how bad the gators are doing. For those outside the country, the University of Florida Gators.
Having been spit on and beer bottles thrown on me at "The Swamp" I have to say it doesn't make me sad to see the Gators lose. Spectacularly. Worst loss to a team with a losing record since 1946. Love the athletes but not the fans!
Old 11-04-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Hey all,

Day didnt go as planned with the whole possible relationship thing I spoke about.

Long story short, she asks me to pick her up from (of all things a wine tasting event) with her friends before we did anything. Like im a designated driver or something. And even if I did, we would already be on a whole different wavelength, me being sober and her not. Deal breaker #1

Then, she "instructs" me to pick her up in my new car, not my everyday driver that I commute in. Lol, guess shes too good to be seen in a Subaru Impreza. Deal breaker #2

Im pretty bummed and really want to drink but am not going to.

This sober life isn't easy...

Brighten
Thank GOODNESS she showed you her true self early! Brighten, the right person is still out there and you don't need to settle. Hang in there. You definitely help me stay on track so stick around.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

OctSober Family Members

I know some have mentioned that they wondered who all was in the October Group so I went back through to the beginning and typed all the people that posted (minus a few that dropped in to say hi or give support and mods)........ I am amazed at how many and also how many are still here and posting. I am so grateful (to SR, to my fellow OctSober peeps and to God) to even have my name on the list.

Here is the list in the order that people started posting:

Horatio48
Layali
ChloeRose63
Erratic
Flinders39
mandosca
SeanFox87
clearlyheaded
DreamCatcher17
ReadyAtLast
zoos
PerplexednLost
Boracraze
rmeatgt350
Linners820
Readytodothis
davesnothere
mba
Shan02
Zenyatta
Stubbs16
Lisamum
AM100
kyndrakin
Peytonrd
GoodbyeDope
charliesworld
BrandNewLife
WildernessVoice
TiredPrayer
emme99
SickBeingTired
juliaclare20
Sinderos
berryblue
izzy8
Mummyto2
BrightenMeUp
rah555
corriec
Boone81
Red78
waxfruit
MeSoSober
DrunkenMess
striving4
beerbgone
bobdrop
GotTheBlues
needtostopthis
Darlad921
Treasurefinder
SonnyD
GreenSwimmer
badgerden
KirG
CClarity50
LuluBread
MeSoSober
opalblue
Rubaduck
ChickChick
limic
Donnyb
taplow
Atwitsend123
Viperidae
Kit2017
clones2
FaithfulAndFree
MetalRose
LoveHateWhine
BigShoe
Grateful11
SoulShine8
Whendovescry
loud430
vladwatt
Karamazov
SoulShine8
ready45
Bombshell
kitty72
StartingOverNW
SoberVictor
MelSober
chiasticslide
Juno11
SimplyFree
Meraviglioso
Soberwaitress
Tubesy
WestofOak
letsdance
EastofEden
Getbetter72
Sobermummy03
Susiegirl
Khaleesi
Old 11-04-2017, 06:13 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Challenging time

Ok. Time for me to fill you in on my past couple of days.
Yesterday (Friday) was day 13 for me ( thankfully not Friday the 13th!). It was also my wedding anniversary.
Mrs Victor and I went to a little bistro out of town and splashed out a little on some fine quisine.
I was anxious about how I would feel and how the evening would go. My very understanding wife even asked would I be ok if she had a glass of wine.
It was a bit weird but it was ok.
We were back out on the street after 90 minutes. Heretofore we would have had beers, a bottle of wine and maybe some Irish coffees and the evening would last an hour longer but we were back home by 10pm.
A relatively tame affair and by comparison probably a bit underwhelming to be honest.
I think that’s probably what we needed though.
It feels like we are tentatively feeling our way forward in what is this new reality for us both. (she is a normal take it or leave it social drinker) but my recent sobriety is creating a new dynamic.
Yesterday morning I also got news that a very good friend who moved to Ireland recently was returning for the weekend to attend a funeral.
Historically he, I and a 3rd partner in crime have been serious drinking buddies.
He asked could he stay with me for his visit and said he d already contacted no. 3 so the scene was set for a seriously boozey weekend.

I was preparing myself for the anniversary but this got landed right in my lap and out of the blue.
On the way from the burial to the lunch venue I told the guys I’d resolved never to drink again and that I was 2 weeks sober.
They thought I was joking.
Later when the serious drinking started and I ordered tea, I think it finally sunk in with them.
We spent 8 hours drinking ( me on tea, coffee, water & soda) playing pool and talking about lots of different stuff but a lot of it was about drinking in general and my particular decision.
I picked up on some level of remorse from them. Almost like this drinking pact we’ve had all these years has now somehow been damaged or even mortally wounded. A almost tangible fear that what we have traditionally shared will not survive if I’m no longer going to be a fully participating member.
That said, we had a great day.
It too was a little different from what I think our days used to be like... but then I was viewing those previous days through a different prism.
The main thing is though...I got through it. It was challenging but I also enjoyed myself and I think my two buddies did too.
Best part...I was able to drive us all home safely tonight...sober!!
I feel good.
I feel strong.
I want to send some strength and good wishes to you all in this class.
You’re a good group of teammates.
Victor
Old 11-04-2017, 06:14 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

I hope I didn't post too many people twice... I noticed that I had to get my name in there two times LOL
Old 11-04-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoulShine8 View Post
I hope I didn't post too many people twice... I noticed that I had to get my name in there two times LOL
WOW!!! Thanks for doing that Soulshine!
Old 11-04-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Just had my first (surprise) live chat with some fellow Octsobers - Mel & Soul. Short and sweet but put a smile on my face.

Just starting my third week now. Went back and checked how long my original effort was when I joined. It was longer than I remembered, but when I finish this week I'll have beaten my "record". The difference is in how I feel - no AV this time. I actually think the relapses helped. I simply translate "I'd love a beer" to "I'd love to relapse". That's not true, so the AV shuts up instantly. Plus I'm trying hard with my whole lifestyle, particularly saving money. Penny-pinching is actually kind of enjoyable for me at the moment. I want to see the difference in my bank account after a few months.

Have a good one everybody.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:42 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support and well wishes!! You guys and ladies truly are the best!! I did have a good time fishing, its kinda like therapy to me, I even caught a few. Im not sure what im gonna do when it gets too cold out for outdoor activities. Maybe hang out in the woods with a campfire and talk to the animals.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:18 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support and well wishes!! You guys and ladies truly are the best!! I did have a good time fishing, its kinda like therapy to me, I even caught a few. Im not sure what im gonna do when it gets too cold out for outdoor activities. Maybe hang out in the woods with a campfire and talk to the animals.
bmu- that is my description of a perfect way to spend time, nothing better, thank you so much for that!

Badge
Old 11-04-2017, 07:29 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Very inspiring day guys: SoberVictor, Rubaduck, bobdrop, and Brighten. Ya'll stuck with the master plan!

And thanks to SoulShine for the list....glad to see you're getting entrenched here.