Notices

On My Way # 6

Old 03-11-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Hope that you are having a good day, GC.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:32 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Thanks for stopping by SL. Yes, dinner was tasty and my daughter and her BF had a great time in the Pacific Northwest. He left yesterday to go back home and now it's back to reality for both of them, meaning grad school for her, law school for him, as well as tutoring a neighborhood kid by my daughter.

Since My Last Post

I was at the gym for an hour yesterday morning and then me, my wife, and son went to another St. Patrick's Day parade. All in a good day.

Today I was the gym for a personal training session and really had to dig deep to get through it. Without a doubt not my best, but not for lacking of trying. As the saying goes, not every one can be above average. There were lots of squat and pushup variations and right now my quads and shoulders still feeling the effects, but none of that will stop me from going for a run tomorrow.

Dinner tonight is going to be meatloaf cooked on my Big Green Egg and roasted cauliflower. Yeah, I know I made that a few days ago, but I bought extra because it was on sale and my daughter requested it for tonight.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:36 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
Thanks for stopping by SL. Yes, dinner was tasty and my daughter and her BF had a great time in the Pacific Northwest. He left yesterday to go back home and now it's back to reality for both of them, meaning grad school for her, law school for him, as well as tutoring a neighborhood kid by my daughter.

Since My Last Post

I was at the gym for an hour yesterday morning and then me, my wife, and son went to another St. Patrick's Day parade. All in a good day.

Today I was the gym for a personal training session and really had to dig deep to get through it. Without a doubt not my best, but not for lacking of trying. As the saying goes, not every one can be above average. There were lots of squat and pushup variations and right now my quads and shoulders still feeling the effects, but none of that will stop me from going for a run tomorrow.

Dinner tonight is going to be meatloaf cooked on my Big Green Egg and roasted cauliflower. Yeah, I know I made that a few days ago, but I bought extra because it was on sale and my daughter requested it for tonight.
Is the meatloaf roasted on some kind of a pan, GC, or on a cooking sheet?
Old 03-12-2018, 12:36 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Has the Big Green Egg taken the p,ace of your grill?
Old 03-12-2018, 01:02 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Is the meatloaf roasted on some kind of a pan, GC, or on a cooking sheet?
Has the Big Green Egg taken the p,ace of your grill?
I'm going to place the meatloaf on a cookie sheet and cook it indirectly, essentially turning the BGE into an oven at 350F. 225 for lo and slo, 350, 650 or even higher I love the versatility as well as the flavor that it imparts. I'm not using a pan tonight because I like the crust that forms on all sides as opposed to when cooking the meat in a pan.

I still have a Weber gas grill; I don't use it as much as my BGE, but I like having the extra capacity and sometimes I'm willing to sacrifice some flavor for expediency.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:17 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

I'm going to place the meatloaf on a cookie sheet and cook it indirectly, essentially turning the BGE into an oven at 350F. 225 for lo and slo, 350, 650 or even higher I love the versatility as well as the flavor that it imparts. I'm not using a pan tonight because I like the crust that forms on all sides as opposed to when cooking the meat in a pan.

I still have a Weber gas grill; I don't use it as much as my BGE, but I like having the extra capacity and sometimes I'm willing to sacrifice some flavor for expediency.
Agreed; I sometimes cook meatloaf in the oven on a baking sheet for the same reason.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:22 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

In a little while I'll be going for a short run. I already shoveled about 4 inches of snow and cleared the cars.

Dinner tonight is going to be pork tenderloin that I'm going to sous vide. Seasonings are still undecided, but I'm going to cook the side dish of TVP using the purge from the pork.

It's going to be an early night because I'm waking up at o'dark 30 to hit the gym.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:28 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

In a little while I'll be going for a short run. I already shoveled about 4 inches of snow and cleared the cars.

Dinner tonight is going to be pork tenderloin that I'm going to sous vide. Seasonings are still undecided, but I'm going to cook the side dish of TVP using the purge from the pork.

It's going to be an early night because I'm waking up at o'dark 30 to hit the gym.
Be careful running out there.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:31 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Be careful running out there.
Good advice. I've purposely choose roads that are not heavily traveled and since I've been doing such little running of late, always a good way to train for a marathon (NOT!), I won't be out for too long.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:53 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Today was my usual early morning Wednesday at the gym. Starting moving at 5:45 and was done by 7.

Dinner tonight's still up in the air because I don't know who is going to be home. I think my wife and daughter will not be and although I generally don't like to go out on weeknights I have a feeling my son will make such a request and if he does I'll go along with it. If we do eat at home the protein will be shrimp and the side is will be a romaine lettuce salad.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:36 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Four rounds of fun this morning:

Forward "sprints" on risers
Kb lateral lunges
Db two point rows
Jumping jacks
High planks with hip touches
Mountain climbers
Db squat presses

The family's dinner time schedule became chaotic yesterday so there was no cooking of the previously mentioned shrimp. That will happen tonight. I'm currently thinking of incorporating black beans, sautéed garlic, and cilantro, but that may change. I'll be serving a salad on the side.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:09 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

I'm sticking with my latest protocol of making Fridays a rest/easy exercise day meaning nothing strenuous like the six other days of the week. Today I'm going to limit myself to walking into town to do some errands and then taking my dog for a walk.

For dinner last night I wound up making a shrimp and black bean chili served over brown rice. No cooking for me tonight because we're going out to celebrate a friend's birthday.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:38 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

We went out last night with friends to a bar local to where the b'day girl lives and had a very nice time, but for some reason smoking is allowed in the place and it was killing me while we were there and I've been feeling the effects of it for most of today. That didn't stop me from going to the gym where I had a better than expected workout, coughing all the way.

Unfortunately, that's going to be my last workout until probably Tuesday. Today is the anniversary of my mother's death and because she's buried in a Jewish cemetery we can't visit today so we'll do that tomorrow. Once we're done with that we'll head to my wife's father's grave because tomorrow is the anniversary of his death. After that my MIL is hosting a memorial luncheon and since all that isn't enough, a close family member died yesterday so we're driving 2 hours south to the wake. One long day. On Monday we're going back to another wake for the deceased man, the church service, the burial, and then a memorial luncheon.

Tonight's going to be low key.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:02 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

I'm back to a normal schedule today and that's a good thing.

My only exercise for today has been walking, probably about 4 miles in total, and clearing some tree debris from areas on my property that I know will have to dealt with if we get anywhere near the amount of snow that's predicted. The forecasts are pretty wide, but the sweet spot for all of them is a foot. Aside from a power loss we're set and from what I'm reading it's going to start late enough for me to go to my 6 AM Wednesday class.

I've taken care of a lot of things today, but the most important one was buying an anniversary gift for my wife. Our anniversary is Thursday and I had no ideas and with the impending Nor'easter I was really running out of time, but fortunately came across a gift I know she's going to like at an in town gift store.

Dinner tonight is going to be spinach stuffed pork tenderloin.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:13 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

We went out last night with friends to a bar local to where the b'day girl lives and had a very nice time, but for some reason smoking is allowed in the place and it was killing me while we were there and I've been feeling the effects of it for most of today. That didn't stop me from going to the gym where I had a better than expected workout, coughing all the way.

Unfortunately, that's going to be my last workout until probably Tuesday. Today is the anniversary of my mother's death and because she's buried in a Jewish cemetery we can't visit today so we'll do that tomorrow. Once we're done with that we'll head to my wife's father's grave because tomorrow is the anniversary of his death. After that my MIL is hosting a memorial luncheon and since all that isn't enough, a close family member died yesterday so we're driving 2 hours south to the wake. One long day. On Monday we're going back to another wake for the deceased man, the church service, the burial, and then a memorial luncheon.

Tonight's going to be low key.
Cigarette smoke is NOT for me, either, GC. It's effects are awful.

I am sorry for all of your losses - past and present.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:14 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

My only exercise for today has been walking, probably about 4 miles in total, and clearing some tree debris from areas on my property that I know will have to dealt with if we get anywhere near the amount of snow that's predicted. The forecasts are pretty wide, but the sweet spot for all of them is a foot. Aside from a power loss we're set and from what I'm reading it's going to start late enough for me to go to my 6 AM Wednesday class.

I've taken care of a lot of things today, but the most important one was buying an anniversary gift for my wife. Our anniversary is Thursday and I had no ideas and with the impending Nor'easter I was really running out of time, but fortunately came across a gift I know she's going to like at an in town gift store.

Stay safe and warm, GC.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:15 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2018, 01:02 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Thanks SL for all of the above. The only concern I really have is losing power because we don't have a generator and our boiler needs electricity to run so the house will eventually get cold. We managed to survive 10 days of no electricity after Sandy and I'm sure this will not be close to that duration if the power goes out, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll be fine. If something does go badly I know that our neighborhood rallies and we can all rely on each other to provide what any respective family needs.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:59 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

After not being in the gym or doing any exercise of consequence for three days it felt great to be back at it this morning. We did four rounds of:

Riser sprints
Kb lateral lunges
Alternating forward lunges while doing a double heavy rope
TRX pullups
Rower
Box jumps
Ab rollouts

Although very light, the snow has started as predicted so I have some functional exercise in my future of clearing what will be around a foot of the white stuff. :burr:

Dinner tonight is going to be a braised chuck roast served with a to be determined grain.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:56 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

We did not get anything close to the predicted snowfall; the consensus bottom of the range for my town was a foot and we probably got about 8 inches. I'm not complaining by any means.

The whole family went out around 6 PM yesterday to shovel and clear cars and I spent about another hour this morning cleaning the cars and what came down on the walks after we previously shoveled. After a short break I went to the gym for 60 minutes that was four rounds of:

Riser sprints
Kb deadlifts
Ball planks
Db floor chest presses
Heavy ropes
TRX upright rows

After that it was two rounds of:

Ab wheel rollouts
Bicycles

Safe to say I'm done exercising for the day with the exception of a short walk to dinner tonight with my wife. It's our anniversary which I mentioned a couple of days ago after I successfully completed a frantic search for a present.