Notices

Class of September 2017 Support Thread Part 3

Old 10-05-2017, 04:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of September 2017 Support Thread Part 3

continues from

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-2-a-20.html (Class of September 2017 Support Thread Part 2)

D
Old 10-05-2017, 04:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Stronger - You got this! It was nice to hear someone doing the same thing. Letting go has been my most difficult issue, been really helpful to write.

Sober - Had the same thing on Day 25. The feeling was very similar to what you described, empty and like losing a friend. This was the first time I really gave it a thought and had mild temptation. I wanted the depression and anxiety away. My brother called at the right time who has known about my problems more them anyone and put my mind on other things. Did some extra work at home as well to keep busy.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey guys. Checking in day 4. Finally starting to feel better.

It’s really true what they say about staying away from old people places and things early on. I walked around right by all my old hangouts - was a mix of nostalgia and sadness for my old life. I immediately wanted to move back, but I know that would probably spell trouble. Anyway be weary of hanging out in old spots you used to drink in.

Still catching up. Good to be back.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluedog97 View Post
Hey guys. Checking in day 4. Finally starting to feel better.

It’s really true what they say about staying away from old people places and things early on. I walked around right by all my old hangouts - was a mix of nostalgia and sadness for my old life. I immediately wanted to move back, but I know that would probably spell trouble. Anyway be weary of hanging out in old spots you used to drink in.

Still catching up. Good to be back.
I hear you bluedog. Glad to see you back.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good morning (or evening!) everyone Day 34 today. Just a quick check in. Feeling way less stress/anxiety today as yesterday I took a complete self-care day. I went to Trader Joe's and bought some pumpkin soup, baked pumpkin spice muffins, bought a really yummy candle and kept it lit all day, took a bath. Sometimes I forget to do these things that make me feel good for months at a time. Busy day today with counseling and a dr. appt.

Sober, I can relate to the craving and feeling like you're missing an old friend. I was having that really bad last week. My sponsor reminded me that there's science behind why the 30, 60, 90 day marks are difficult- we're rewiring our brains after years of habit. Days 25-31 were hard with this for me, but it seems to have passed for now. I hope it passes quickly for you too.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Quick check in. Day 26. We are all gaining altitude. Stay sober today peeps.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

afternoon all! congrats everyone for their accomplishments. Glad you are back Bluedog, I love wandering around old haunts, who lived where,, the spooky house at the end of the street that you never went to on Halloween,,, I am glad that my alcohol use didn't take those away from me.

34 day Hns and Badger07 26 down and a life time to go!

11 days for me! double digits!! okay its the little things alright

I got my 2 mile walk in with the dogs, I always go for 3 but I need to get my body in tune for my shifts. Our weather today is such a nice fall 65, love it!

Okay need to get ready for work, will check in later.

Badge
Old 10-05-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Badger07 thanks for those words in the last thread about why your life with alcohol is over. Accurate to a T for me! Gave my resolve a kick in the arse, so thank you for your eloquence!

Katchal I sympathise with working around alcohol. My business is booze. 60+ hours a week surrounded by it. I'm typing this standing next the wine fridge which, I'll be honest, I've really wanted to put my hand in today. It'd be so easy.

Yesterday was day 47 and my birthday. The first sober birthday in 25 years. It was both easy and hard. It was full and yet still felt lacking. I coped but today I'm tetchy, abraisive and EVERYONE IS ANNOYING ME. The mood swings and the irritability are so far the hardest parts of this process to cope with 😣😡
Old 10-05-2017, 12:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
Great to read so many posts and everyone is doing well and clocking up the days. A new thread too

Finished work for 3 days now though have a busy weekend. Lunch with friends tomorrow, all non drinkers, all driving too. Children's party Saturday then relax Saturday night.

stay strong and stay sober
Old 10-05-2017, 02:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Morning all - checking in. Day 31.
Squiz, yes I understand well. I was dipping in at work all the time. I started out with the wine fridge but it made me too sleepy in the day, so the spirit shelf got my attention. In the end it was just vodka. I stopped caring about tasting all the different things so I would have product knowledge for customers, it was just about maintaining a constant level of booze in my system. It seems strange to think that was my daily life only a month ago.
So much has changed.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi. Checking in. I had a decent day. I did crash for an hour or two this afternoon. Tired.

I’ve got laundry in and I’m cleaning up. I’ve got to get my dinner ready. Be back later.

V
Old 10-05-2017, 03:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 32
Old 10-05-2017, 04:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what's going on, but I've attempted this for the past 3 years, and now I'm on day 27 (ties my prior record). I have absolutely no desire to drink even when the triggers hit. I feel so much at peace instead of worrying that someone at home is going to find my vodka bottles or catch me sneaking drinks late at night.

I'll catch up on everyone's posts tonight, but I've been keeping busy as per the PLAN! I haven't had time to think about alcohol or count days. Life is good
Old 10-05-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on the milestones guys

D
Old 10-05-2017, 04:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Katchal - yep, exactly the same here. Wine to vodka. It ended up being a mix, all day, every day. Little bits and fast. I kept thinking 'what if something happens and I'm not in a state to deal with it'
People would greet me like I'd obviously given great service previously and I wouldn't recognise them at all. Terrible show.

Got to remember this is BETTER. The rewards are immense.

Good to read more positive stories today. Septembermembers rule ok 👌
Old 10-05-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 31 thankfully ending soon.
My mood lately hasn't been the best. Can't wait to see doctor next week. Almost gave in yesterday and today. I don't know how I didn't cave because it would have at least cheered me up but i thought about the taste and was turned off. This morning i was proud too to not have given in last night. Everything though is taking a super human effort to do these days and I'm irritable as heck. I feel like I'm about to snap at any moment. Things i liked are a chore now. I do look forward to my morning coffee's though, it's about the only uplifting thing in my life these days.
Sorry about this depressing post, hope your journey is reaping better benefits instead of alternate struggles and frustration.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hello class! Good to see all the check-ins...I believe I'm at 3 weeks. The 3-4 week mark used to be a challenge but so far so good. I was a couple days shy of 5 months when I slipped in August ~ my longest stretch of sobriety so far.

Let's keep going!
Old 10-05-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

(((Caprice)))
Old 10-05-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Caprice, seriously about three days ago I said to my boyfriend that I was so ratty I felt like someone might say the wrong thing and I'd just SNAP! I'm hoping it might pass but I am super easy to wind up at the minute.

God forbid people chew noisily around me, I have to keep walking away 😠

Sad to hear you feel like there's nothing good in your day but the morning coffee though. Are there things in your plan you can do to look forward to? What did you like before that you find dull now? Time for a new hobby, swimming, knitting, books, star jumps?!
Old 10-05-2017, 08:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. Had a much better day today.
I hope you feel better Caprice. Hugs to you, and sending positive thoughts your way.
I had the worst time with depression, it was like my soul hurt! My doctor put me on antidepressants and it helps so much. I'm NOT recommending them, just mentioning what helped me. It can make a big difference to get a doctor in on our recovery.
I'm at 45 days and sometimes it surprises me how good I feel.
I hope everyone has a great Friday tomorrow! Sweet dreams...