Notices

Class of August 2017 Part 4

Old 09-30-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Evening all. Welcome to the thread downthepath, it's good to have you here and like tea said, the more the merrier! Vman, look at you all grown up and in charge of the remote. 👍

Leana, thanks for that post, really informative.

I have had a tiring but very rewarding day. Saturday overtime would have been impossible and unheard of when drinking, but kerching! A day here and there surely adds up. Then spent the rest of the day babysitting my wee treasure of a grandson, 9months old this very day.

I am sorry to sound like Pollyanna or something but really, there are so many good things happening, not least that I am privileged to be such a big part of this wee ones life. I refuse to throw any of it away by drinking because I know that ultimately, maybe not at first but inevitably alcohol will screw up my life and the things that I treasure.

I'm off to order the Russell brand book. I was going to be a skinflint and wait for the paperback, but the hardback is no more than the cost of two bottles of wine and hopefully will be something else to add to the toolbox. ( I have to had that when it comes to books I am old fashioned, don't do kindle.)

So goodnight everyone. I'm loving checking in here daily and seeing how everyone is doing and going into our third month as a group it has also become a huge part of that toolbox. You all rock.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good evening good friends.
I saw my sponsor today, and did the 5th, 6th and 7th step tonight.
I feel so amazing and relieved, I can hardly describe it. I feel such a peace and bliss inside and all those worries I mentioned in my previous post just vanished.
I feel so relaxed inside, and for the first hour or so after i returned home, i just had this strong voice in my head saying "it's allright" over and over again... Felt strange, but good - I just had to lie down on the floor with the lights off listening to this calming voice, I think I started saying those words loud, and at one point I just burst out laughing so hard i started coughing - I didn't even think of anything funny, I just felt so light and relieved - I can hardly believe it.
If anybody had seen me they must have thought I'd done some strange drug
Old 09-30-2017, 11:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Morning All,

I completely agree with you Lily, coming here helps enormously.

Tyger - that is great news. Pleased you feel so much better.

Today looks like having better weather - I have a bike ride planned. Hopefully I'll get to my destination dry.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi friends, please can I re-join the class of August? I got 50 days and then started drinking again. I didn't make an adequate plan and took my eye off the ball. Tying again starting today...
Old 10-01-2017, 02:24 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Forwards

I gotta say I'm worried about you man - you ended up in hospital last time.

Do everything you can to keep your eye on that ball - commit to not drinking until you've exhausted every other avenue etc.

Leave absolutely no stone unturned when looking for support and help.

Its a lot of hard work...for awhile - but honestly - so is self -annihilation

D
Old 10-01-2017, 03:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. What I'm most worried about is having another seizure caused by the withdrawals. I have only been drinking 3 or 4 pints of lager a day over the last couple of weeks so I should hopefully be able to stop fairly safely. I don't even particularly enjoy drinking any more...
Old 10-01-2017, 03:16 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Welcome back forwards.
Glad you are here.
Can you get some medical help or at least have people around who can get help if you need it.
I reckon that might be better than trying to do it alone.
You know we are here for you.
Please stay safe. Hang in there.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:55 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teaorcoffee View Post
Can you get some medical help or at least have people around who can get help if you need it.
Well I certainly don't want to end up back in hospital. I live in a shared house but we tend to keep ourselves to ourselves most of the time so having people around would be tricky. I'll give it some thought though...
Old 10-01-2017, 04:01 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Mr

Painting a few ceilings in the house today.
Forgot how much I dislike painting (even worse ceilings) Luckily one doesnt have to do it too often.

Hi forwards. Good choice you made today.
See you around.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:11 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome back forwards, it's good to see you posting again. Please be careful. I didn't end up in hospital after my last withdrawal but it's what brought me here. I don't have any advice on detoxing safely, I've taken chances in the past and looking back it's horrifying how sickI actually was, so please look after yourself and seek medical help if you need to.

I'm late checking in today. I had an item I had to return so left early to be sure I was there before the mall got too busy. Nothing else exciting planned today, cleaning the house and cooking a nice dinner. Sunday has never been my best day but I'm getting used to sober Sundays and actually enjoying them now. Have a good one folks!
Old 10-01-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leanabeana View Post
Hi Downthepath. It won't last forever, but expect to have some ups and downs for a while. You didn't get here overnight so the recovery won't happen overnight. It is definitely still possible to be having physical withdrawals. Protracted Abstinence Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) isn't recognized by the medical community but it is recognized by the recovery community (those should be in agreement, but that's a whole other topic). If you haven't ready the stages of withdrawal, I highly recommend reviewing it.

withdrawal stage(1 to 2 weeks): people who drank alcohol in large amounts may have severe withdrawal symptoms. these may include nausea,low energy, anxiety, shakiness, depression, intense emotions, insomnia, irritability, difficulty concentrating and memory problems. these symptoms typically last 3 to 5 days, but can last up to several weeks.

early abstinence (4 weeks ,week 2 - 6, follows withdrawal): for people who used alcohol, this period is marked most by the brain's recovery. although the physical withdrawal symptoms have ended, the client's brain is still getting used to the absence of the substance. thinking may be unclear, concentration may be poor, nervousness and anxiety may be troubling, sleep is often irregular, and, in many ways, life feels too intense.

protracted abstinence (2 to 5 month; follows early abstinence): from six weeks to five months after clients stop using, they may experience a variety of annoying and troublesome symptoms. these symptoms -difficulties with thoughts and feelings- are caused buy the continual healing process in the brain. this period is called 'The Wall'. it is important for clients to be aware that some of the feelings during this period are the result of changes in brain chemistry. if clients remain abstinent, the feelings will pass. the most common symptoms are depression, irritability, difficulty concentrating, low energy and a general lack of enthusiasm. clients also may experience strong cravings during protracted abstinence. relapse risk goes up during this period. it is helpful to stay focused on staying abstinent one day at a time. exercise helps tremendously during this period. for most clients, completing this phase in recovery is a major achievement.

readjustment (2 months; follows protracted abstinence):after five months, the brain has recovered substantially. now the client's main task is developing a life that has fulfilling activities that support continued recovery. because cravings occur less often and feel less intense, clients may be less aware of relapse risk and put themselves in high-risk situations and increase their relapse risk.

avoiding relapse drift: relapse does not happen without warning, and it usually does not happen quickly. the gradual movement from abstinence to relapse can be subtle and often underestimated. so it often feels as if it happens suddenly. this slow movement away from abstinence can be compared to a ship gradually drifting away from where it was moored. the drifting movement can be so slow that you don't even notice it.

during recovery, people do specific things that keep them abstinent. these activities can be called "mooring lines". try and see what you are doing to keep yourself abstinent. list the mooring lines in a specific way so they are clear and measurable. these activities are the "ropes" that hold recovery in place and prevent relapse drift from happening without being noticed......
(.....here follows a chart of a column to list all specific mooring lines( for example going to gym, reading sobriety stuff, recreational activities, peer support activities et cetera) followed by columns for the days of the week. i don't know how to do charts on the computer, so use your imagination)
it is helpful to complete you mooring lines chart weekly. place a checkmark next to each mooring line that you know is secure and record the date. when two or more items cannot be checked, it may mean that relapse drift is happening. .....blablabla..... use the chart to recognize when you are more likely to relapse and decide what to do to keep this from happening.

I'm not sure where I got this from so I can't give you a link (for the chart mentioned). I had it on a sticky note on my macbook from the first time I tried to quit years ago.
Thanks a lot for this Leana. It fits in pretty accurately with my experience so far, which gives me confidence that I now know what to expect.
I found your other thread about AA very interesting too. I haven't gone down that particular path yet.
For my part I'm discovering that I need to manage my physical needs more than anything. If I'm dehydrated or hungry I feel a pang of craving, so I need to be on top of that.
Ok. Day 42 is drawing to a close here in Singapore and I have another sober day to look forward to in work tomorrow so I will bid you goodnight. Thank you all for the support and for sharing your experiences. It is really helping me a lot.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilymaz View Post
I didn't end up in hospital after my last withdrawal but it's what brought me here.
Thanks for the welcome back lilymaz. I didn't end up in hospital just because of my withdrawal. I suffer from paranoid schizophrenia and find that my mental health starts to deteriorate as I drink more.

The exact cause and effect is a bit of a mystery. My alcohol counsellors say that once my mental health is better my drinking should be more manageable, but I sometimes think that it is the other way round. Anyway, the two things undoubtedly go hand in hand and I'm keen to try long term abstinence to see if I get better. It can only help...
Old 10-01-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Sorry I misunderstood forwards. I hear you. Definitely not an expert, but I have been diagnosed with depression, not the reactive kind, the one that comes from within. In my own experience during this and previous periods of abstinence I do cope much better and the dark thoughts if and when they come are much more manageable with CBT and meditation. I am not for a minute likening my situation to yours, but you are right. Abstinence can't hurt.

On a strange little side note, my OCD seems to become much more pronounced when sober. Anyway, we are all here for you my friend. I know that alcohol interferes with the effectiveness of some meds, so please share with your doc that you have been drinking.

Keep posting, wishing you all the very best today. X
Old 10-01-2017, 09:46 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone and welcome to the new and/or returning members, glad you are here!
Just a quick update to let you all know that I just passed my 50 day mark yesterday! So happy and proud of how far I've come.
Do you notice that the further away you get from the drunk version of yourself, the harder it is to face the past memories?
I find myself having some sad, reflective moments when I think of the girl who tried to solve all of life's problems by drinking.
I guess that is part of the recovery process!
Excited to be in a new month and get closer and closer to bigger numbers. I'm really excited to hit 100 for some reason, but I know I need to focus on ODAAT!!!

Have a great week all of you!

<3
Old 10-01-2017, 11:14 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good job SB.
It's weird being away from the booze. I try not to dwell on how much of my life I drank away, just be pleased that I'm not doing that anymore.
Oh well, onwards and upwards - I have to sort myself out for food now, as I have just done a mega ride -and am starving.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday everyone! I'm having a lazy one for sure. The headaches are better (with help from pills) but the arthritis pain in my hips and knees is really bad now and the meds don't touch the pain. Always something with me!

I'm grappling with my use of Norco over the past week. I'm not abusing it and it doesn't get me high but it is an opioid. I think I'll be relieved when I run out in a strange way. I don't think I need to reset my sobriety clock because I have a legitimate medical reason for taking it, but I still feel strange about taking it while claiming sobriety.

Last night I went to a Refuge Recovery meeting and had a great convo with a member after. I felt good when I walked out. That's how it should be.

Today I plan to stay for coffee after the AA women's meeting and ask questions. That's a big step for me.
Old 10-01-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Welcome back Forwards! I don't know anyone who regrets doing inpatient treatment. Looking back, I wish I would have done it because I really suffered needlessly going it alone.

Whatever you decide, we support you and are glad to have you here.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:18 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Glad you had a positive experience with the Refuge recovery meeting, Leana.... haven't heard of that one. I'll have to look into it

Hi Forwards ~ Welcome back!

Good to see everyone ~ sorry I'm not good at individually posting....made it through another weekend! High fives!
Old 10-01-2017, 10:43 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Mr

Well i hope everyone got through the weekend sober and safe.

It seems that this SB :

"I find myself having some sad, reflective moments when I think of the girl who tried to solve all of life's problems by drinking.
I guess that is part of the recovery process!"

can also be part of AV tricks... I try to stay in the present as much as possible.
My number one objective is being sober, every single day.
I get up and i think that.

Anyways have a good week everyone
Old 10-01-2017, 11:23 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Still biking today - I have a few days off, so making the most of them getting some fitness built up.
travelling and biking these days - building up to Thursday - there's a hill near my house that needs to be defeated.
Time now to shower and eat - I am starving - that is the problem with all this exercise.