SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of March 2013 Part 52 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/415558-class-march-2013-part-52-a.html)

tootsl1 09-19-2017 01:28 AM

Hey Babs, even though you didn't drink at school, I guess you would have had a few at previous reunions? It doesn't matter how popular you were at school, meeting up with these guys as adults is stepping outside your comfort zone a little. Alcohol would have cushioned the nerves in the past. Maybe that is a part of it. Perhaps get some herbal calming pills to take the edge of any nerves?
Are you worried about hubby's behaviour on the night?
Would you prefer to have the option to drive home afterward? It is always a good reason for not drinking. There will always be some who use a reunion as an opportunity to overindulge, but I am sure there will also be some there who don't particularly bother.
If you go prepared, using Dee's tips, I am sure it won't be near as bad as you are dreading. And if it is? Leave early. You sobriety is worth so much more than a bunch of folk you just happen to have shared a birth year with. X

Saskia 09-19-2017 03:10 AM

Babs, really terrific suggestions here! I believe in you. You have come a long way and you will get through this, too. Each time we get stronger :hug:

BuddinK 09-19-2017 08:29 AM

Babs, no reason not to go, especially if it's something you want to go to. As everyone else has said, make thorough plans beforehand, that way you can handle any situation that could arise.

Babs1234 09-20-2017 12:00 PM

you guys are right and I just got back from AA and they are always my second source next to you guys. and I've got a couple of days yet. But, I still have some miss giving's about it. Just have to decide or get my priority's together. thanks again.

trachemys 09-20-2017 03:27 PM

Babs, since you don't drink, I don't see the problem.

Gilmer 09-20-2017 03:29 PM

You’ll make the right choice. No matter what you decide, you’ll be going into it armed with all the strategy and wisdom you need.

Gilmer 09-20-2017 03:31 PM

How much of your identity to your friends is based on you as a drinker? We’re they good friends during high school, too, when you didn’t drink?

Saskia 09-21-2017 02:13 AM

Lots of good thoughts, Babs. Whatever you decide, I think you'll be well armed. And congrats on 1 year and 5 months! Way to go :hug:

Babs1234 09-21-2017 07:17 AM

thanks again. I'm making a big deal out of nothing. I will be just fine.
Sometimes a person just thinks or dwells on something for so long that you create your problem your self. and that's what I have done.
Have a great day everyone !
Babs ===You guys are the best. hugs:nanarock

Gilmer 09-21-2017 08:37 AM

I feel that way often!

Saskia 09-22-2017 03:03 AM

Me, three!

BuddinK 09-22-2017 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Babs1234 (Post 6611461)
Sometimes a person just thinks or dwells on something for so long that you create your problem your self.

And that's a big reason we all became alcoholics, using the energy to come up with a reason to drink instead of focusing on finding a solution to the problem.

Gilmer 09-22-2017 10:26 AM

How are your hours, Budd? Have they eased up at all?

BuddinK 09-22-2017 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Gilmer (Post 6612836)
How are your hours, Budd? Have they eased up at all?

Nope, just getting ready to head in, we're working 10 hours a day Monday-Friday and 8 hour weekends. The 8 hour days usually end up being 12 hours because we are short handed. I had two vacation days this week and will still end up with 22 to 30 hours OT.

Oct 2nd I go back to 2nd shift, I like that better but will still be pulling minimum of 56 hour weeks.

At least all this overtime is paying off all the new clothes I had to buy due to losing so much weight, I seem to be holding at my current 195,

Gilmer 09-23-2017 01:43 AM

I’m glad there’s an upside to it all!

Babs1234 09-23-2017 09:53 AM

hi guys ! all this babbling about going to this class reunion and I didn't go. I guess I really didn't have my heart in it . Or maybe I just didn't want to go through it all. Not sure. I got myself so worked up over it and still didn't go. I probably avoided a lot of things and still don't know what the reason is. But, it's ok.
Hubby still drinks at night and I don't know what the big deal is.---
Anyway--we are going to the hospital this afternoon to see a friend who had a double knee replacement. So, that's all I know for now.
Have a good day you guys.
Babs :Dance7:

Gilmer 09-23-2017 04:53 PM

You sound relieved that the decision is MADE, for good or for I’ll.

You can always call your school friends and ask for a rundown.

I’m sure the recap conversations will be more entertaining than just sitting there enduring people drinking with a vengeance all weekend!

Saskia 09-24-2017 02:55 AM

Babs, when I'm conflicted about something, I sometimes manage to stop worrying about it and focus elsewhere. Then I end up doing what feels like the best option for me. Whether it was concern about drinking temptation or other issues, it sounds like you are going with your feelings and that's a good thing. Sometimes there isn't a single clear-cut answer and instinct just works.

Ken, that sounds like a lot of hours though, like so much else in our lives, there are obviously both up- and down- sides. As long as your health is good and you are reasonably happy with yourself, that's important. Not working and then no money is a tough spot.

Duff, how goes it? What's the situation with hurricane damage where you live?

Duffster 09-24-2017 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Saskia (Post 6614587)
Duff, how goes it? What's the situation with hurricane damage where you live?

Hi Sass! Our damage was pretty minimal, it mostly messed with power and internet but I miraculously never lost even a minute of power. I have dear friends who have been displaced for a few months as a tree went through their roof, another friend lost their car, but mostly it's life back to normal.

Babs, you sound at peace over your decision, which means it was the right one. I go back and forth on attending things like that a lot, I've never regretted not going.

Gilmer, how is Wilbur? I sometimes check out the one and over thread but don't usually post and saw your post about him - poor guy.

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekends!

Gilmer 09-24-2017 06:19 AM

Thanks for asking, Duff.

My daughter took him to the vet yesterday, and they gave him an appetite stimulation shot. They also gave her a bottle of appetite stimulation pills.

Sure enough, he ate right away when he got home (and gobbled his pills right down). The doctor said he’ll be fine—he just needed a little jumpstart.

Boy, are we relieved!