Old 09-24-2017, 10:21 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  
p***enger

NYC is lovely today!
Old 09-24-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Please speak it here if that will help
Sometimes just knowing I can come here and share my thoughts and problems is enough Thank you courage! Maybe once I get my thoughts together I'll bounce them off of all of you
Old 09-24-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Hot as hell here in DC!
Old 09-24-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

It's nice and warm in CT today. Hot, breezy, dry, perfect.

Cour - I've found my voice to speak up about what I need to stay recovered. My husband doesn't try to understand it, but he doesn't get in the way of it, which works for me.

Carlos - Soinds like your ex helped you make a nice step towards self forgiveness, peace and serenity.

Today I chose to hang with friends rather than cook and clean. Definitely outside my comfort zone as a hard working high achiever type A person!! I worked out, ate lunch with a friend and visited another friend who is My friend is recovering from a mastectomy. She's doing well!

Now I'm waiting for one of the kids' hockey games to start. Have a nice day everyone!
Old 09-24-2017, 08:48 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  
p***enger

Glee, I'm glad you were about to see your friends today. That's better than cooking and cleaning.

This week I antagonized people and I'm not sure how much I care. I revealed personal things -- thank god not more -- and people barraged me with opinions and advice. It was only the natural buzzing that people do, when they want to think they want to help another person and care, but can't do anything -- so they make a lot of noises. But I took all the suggestions & speculations as ignorant and inappropriate, and rejected their words in a way I expect made them feel personally rejected. And I don't think I care much.

I've never pretended to be a healthy personality. I'm sober, and my medications help me stay able to work and get along with others as I need and want to, but in my person there is still a lot of strange. Could I spend years in therapy and change it? Maybe. I don't think I want to.

But I'm occasionally reminded that if I open my mouth and reveal my self, sometimes, it disturbs people. So
Old 09-24-2017, 10:55 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Just wanted to give ya all a quick "hi." Getting home 1:30 to 2:00 am all week is not allowing me any computer time. Back at it in nine hours. Love you guys!
Old 09-25-2017, 12:50 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Okay, enough with the warm weather brags!

I had a little break from work recently and made some new friends - people I've known but have never spent much time with - and it was really lovely! I'm realizing I didn't do much socializing outside of my drinking. I'm finding that people are kind of sorting into those I'm comfortable with sober, and those I'm not. It's not necessarily a bad thing! It makes it harder when I leave to travel, but it's nice knowing I have some people I look forward to seeing when I get back.

That being said, even while I was drinking I realized how important it was for me to be happy by myself. Like you said, courage - sometimes I open my mouth and it disturbs people, and I'm happy knowing that what they think of me doesn't effect what I'm going to say. As I need to, or for work, sure, but in my personal life I don't NEED people to like me. Or at least people I don't care about - close friends and family, sure, but I'm pretty happy with who I am these days and that's made a big difference in my drinking habits.

Hi stargazer! Sounds like you're having quite the week! I hope it's for fun and not for work.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:22 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

If all goes according to plan, Fran will be coming home sometime next week. The boss has opted to care for her at home instead of sending her to a rehab facility. We'll see how that goes.

Have a great Monday, all!
Old 09-25-2017, 04:40 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

All day, every time someone comes to speak with me in my office, my boss comes over and stands in the doorway, cutting them off, and talks to them until they go away.

Maybe he's just bored, but it's driving me nuts! Not only would I like to say hello to some of these people, but I have work to get done and listening to him chit chat for 20 minutes is not helping my productivity today.

EDIT: I'm quitting smoking, so take everything I say about people annoying me with a grain of salt. Although, in general, I'm annoyed fairly easily by people. All back to that introvert thing
Old 09-25-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

I wish I cared less about other people’s opinions of me!

It used to be I cared what the whole world thought, but fortunately the circle has grown a lot smaller as I’ve grown.

My slavish desire to please stands in contradiction to my integrity: I am always determined to be “real” and present an honest picture of myself, for good or for ill.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Geebus, Gilmer, that's deep. At least I think it is, I don't understand what you said so I'm guessing it is over my head.

I just don't talk to many people, saves me a lot of problems.

"A prudent man foresees trouble and hides himself, but the simple proceed and are punished." Prov 22:3

I have far less drama if I manage to say nothing. Of course, pretty easy to do since I'm not working and I live alone. When I was working, other people constantly annoyed me. I see no way around that.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Bottom line, Bim—I’ve got the “only child” syndrome. I still am paranoid that everyone around me is thinking about every word I say. In reality, I know that unless it’s something earth-shattering (which it rarely is), it’s just a blip on people’s radar screens for a moment or two. Just the same as most other people’s statements are to me!

I often have to remind myself that I’m not terminally unique!

News update: I saw the neurologist today. Nicest, kindest doctor I’ve ever met!

He gave me lots of cognition, memory, eye focus, and reflex tests. Overall, I passed easily (just forgot one word).

He assured me that I didn’t have the beginnings of dementia or Alzheimer’s; my little lapses are totally normal for my age.

He said that if I needed more peace of mind, he could order me some further, more concrete testing; but I said, no thanks. After the short but thorough series of tests he performed, he convinced me that I’m totally fine.

He told me I was free to come back to him anytime, but for now I’m good to go!
Old 09-25-2017, 02:19 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Good news from the neurologist, Gilmer.

I'm an only child, too. I get you, sistah.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:24 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  
p***enger

Good news, Gilmer! You're sharp as a tack, and I always thought so.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:35 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad the Doc gave you the all clear Gilmer

D
Old 09-25-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Ha ha—me too!
Old 09-25-2017, 05:38 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Hey all !
Made a meeting this morning ( first in 2 weeks). Good good good.

Great news that Fran may get to come home. I'm so glad to read everyone's posts. Difficult work weekend. Marching on -
Old 09-26-2017, 01:25 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I often have to remind myself that I’m not terminally unique!
!
I have to do this as well, but I'm not an only child
It can be comforting, especially after I do or say something embarrassing. I once, a long time ago, had someone come up and apologize to me for calling em repeatedly when they were drunk - I honestly didn't even remember it! Gives me hope that maybe all the things I think I've done people surely couldn't forget may, in fact, be forgotten haha

Gilmer, do you ever do those mind challenge books? I got one that I really like, and it's easy enough I can actually do the things in it. They're supposed to help with memory though. I find it a great way to kill time! The one I got was https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not sure it actually helps, but it might make you feel better!
Old 09-26-2017, 03:27 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Gil , I think you're pretty darn special. Glad you got some confirmation on your memory skills. My mind is a steel trap, which isn't always a good thing.

Have a great Tuesday, gang!
Old 09-26-2017, 05:05 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Thanks, Site. I’ll get that book.

Thanks, FBL!