Notices

Class of September 2017 Support Thread Part 1

Old 09-04-2017, 11:13 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Day 2

Hi All, would like to join this class. Day 2 for me, I only joined up yesterday and already loving all the support! Long may it last
Old 09-04-2017, 11:31 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
Speaking of...When's the best time of year and what's the best beach type destination for a first timer coming from the states to AUS? I've always wanted to go there..Thanks
I'm on the West coast of Aus, we have great beaches like Broome and Cottesloe. But tourist wise I'd say you'd be best on the East coast for the complete holiday. NSW or QLD.

Well done deniedfish!

I'll race you lonewolf, i'm on day 1.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:35 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Morning everyone , Day 5 here. Just thought - are we all 'Septembermembers'?
Old 09-04-2017, 11:39 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Morning all

Welcome Sober81, sayhay and lonewolf

Congrats deniedfish on getting through the weekend and everyone else who got through too.

Is everyone else sleeping better now sober? I had such a good sleep last night and feel pretty refreshed. I thanks God every day I wake without a hangover. Got work today and feeling some apprehension but it will be what it will be. At least I am clear headed, focused and not hungover.

Hope everyone has a good day.x
Old 09-04-2017, 11:46 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Same here, had a good sleep and woke up clear headed and positive. So grateful.. have a great day everyone, and hang in there!
Old 09-04-2017, 11:50 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Needing motivation and company

Hi,
I'm 34 days AF. I don't physically crave alcohol, the challenge for me is dealing with all of the issues I've supressed with alcohol all these years. It's like meeting a new me and she's pretty raw, fragile and lost. However, I can say without a doubt, I feel much stronger and more grounded and I'm I realise how important it is to stay connected to others who are going through the same journey.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:08 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Hi Georgie, I can understand fully. Earlier this year I had a 3-month period AF.. and while on the one hand I felt fantastic physically and mentally, the anxiety, the 'rawness' did get to me, I suddenly had too much energy to deal with all of the things I suppressed and it was intense. I also had a lot of irrational fears about life and whether I relapse or not. With hindsight, much of this was to do with the fact that I was actually trying to control the outcomes of the future, etc.. if I just focused on taking life one day at a time and giving each day a chance, rather than trying to control things so much, things would have been much more manageable.. I know it is easier said than done.. but with 34 days in, you are on the right track...
Old 09-05-2017, 12:39 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Checking in for Day 8.

Went to my Dr because I have been feeling dizzy and figured it should've stopped by now. He ended up sending me to the ER. Bloodwork came back good except for elevated liver counts which would've been much higher a week ago so ... yeah ... definitely have to maintain the lifestyle of a non drinker. The good news is I'm in better condition than I thought. I was really scared to see the results. The ER Dr was really compassionate and said he's very proud of me for making it 7 days (it was 7 at the time .. 8 now.. and yes I am counting lol). It made me cry because I've felt so ashamed of myself and here he's saying he's proud ... well, definitely good motivation. I was also super dehydrated even though I thought I was doing good with water and electrolytes all week.

Moral of the story - drinking is no joke. Neither are withdrawals. So take good care of yourself and don't hesitate to go to the Dr if you feel weird. If nothing else, you'll get good peace of mind.

So looking forward to feeling fully healthy again and letting my liver just continue to get healthier and healthier after all the crap I've done to it. Sorry, liver.

Happy Tuesday to you all and I hope you enjoy your day.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:43 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Morning all , checking in today with an uneasy feeling .
I got my anual bloods taken on Friday and the results are due today .
In UK we get an anual check over which involves a whole load of blood tests and me being me worries about it . I,m sure all is in order though .

Hope you are all doing well what ever stage you are at . If your struggling come here and post .
Old 09-05-2017, 02:42 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes Thomas

Hi and welcome Georgie and LoneWolf

D
Old 09-05-2017, 02:42 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Hi everyone - up too early (before 5:00) - not sure why. I was hoping to sleep until 6:00 so I will be tired today. Day 7 - no thoughts or cravings to drink wine, but keeping vigilant just in case.

I had a really crazy day yesterday of cleaning out my clothes and closet. It was really necessary. I had some drawers overfilled with clothes, all messed up and disorganized. I took everything out, got large plastic trash bags and filled up 4 large green bags of clothes to donate. I kept the stuff I wear and it's all organized nicely now. I'm thrilled about this and also happy that folks who need clothes will get all the stuff I wasn't wearing anymore

That's the good news, the bad news is that I felt uneasy last night and had to take my anti-anxiety meds (prescribed - only for when I'm feeling anxious). My Dad told me that my Mom has not been well, not at all, and only seems to come to life when people visit or when I bring her to my house to help out, but other than that is really in pain and miserable. That made me very sad and uneasy and I hope it doesn't plant the seed that I need to drink again.

The other thing that happened that was bad was this guy rang my doorbell - this guy that was bothering me a lot and calling me on my phone and being a nuisance - I had to block him both on Facebook and my iPhone because he called me too much. I hate when people call without a reason - that's what texting is for - but no, this guy just picks up the phone and calls. He also stops by and rings the doorbell without a prior plan. Who does that? I didn't answer the door or his call but it really made me upset and rattled me. I like my space and don't want some guy getting in it. This guy used to be a neighbor and did some work for me (he's a contractor) - is generally a nice guy and is not harmful - just kind of a nuisance to me. Boundaries are good things and he doesn't get it. He wants to keep asking me how my Mom is (healthwise) and I really don't feel like talking about it with him. It's my personal business how I feel about my Mom's health issues and I shouldn't have to discuss it with him.

Sorry for the rant, but I hope typing it out will help diffuse tensions that may be triggers for me to drink later in the week. I think that's what happens to me - I build up these resentments and let them simmer and then later need to drink to escape how I'm feeling. I don't want to do that this time.

I did not go to my SMART meeting last night because I was too busy setting up my closet. There's another meeting tonight and it's just as good - I will plan to go because I could use the Face to Face support. I'm serious this time - I need to give this a good go, give it all I've got because being drunk just sucks and hangovers suck!

Starting the work week today and trying to get back my positivity!
Old 09-05-2017, 02:56 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Juno11 - thanks for the inspiration on getting organized. My clothes are a MESS right now and I've just looked at them like "meh" because I've been hungover and feeling gross for so long. We have horrible wildfires here and the air quality is so bad (ash is falling like snow) so we all have to stay indoors so that's a very good project for today.

I had a situation with a guy showing up unannounced at 1:00 in the morning banging on my door because I wouldn't answer. Totally inappropriate and no boundaries. It really set off my anxiety. I can totally relate. People need to learn to respect boundaries!!!

Hope your day gets better and don't be sorry for a "rant". You sound so much like me... always apologizing for my "rants" when I'm just talking... you're definitely not ranting at all.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:11 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Thank you 60andbeyond. Sometimes it helps to just type it out and get it out there instead of holding it inside and it feels like a rant, doesn't it?

So glad you understand about the boundaries thing. Yes, some people don't get it. Can't imagine myself getting in a car and going and ringing someone's doorbell unannounced. Can't believe that happened to you at 1am!!!

BTW, am glad your blood work turned out well. Dizziness is a terrible condition - I had it for a while but turned out to be an inner ear problem. I, too, worry about the damage that I have done to myself with these wine binges. The best thing to do is to stop drinking and take care of ourselves and hope we heal and recover. We will!

Off to my work day!

p.s. LoneWolf I really like what you had to say about letting go of control. It's so important. I had to learn a lot of that this summer in therapy with my 18 year old daughter, who has been very difficult. Letting go of thinking you can control things is a big step.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

My bloods all came back normal except thyroid med needs adjusted slightly so I am delighted . Im going to celebrate with walk round the village .
Old 09-05-2017, 11:23 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

hi everyone,

I know what you mean Georgie, it is difficult to face life in what seems such bright, sharp light at times.

Glad you got good news at the docs 60ab. Hope you had good news too Thomas oh just seen your post - great news

Juno-I'm completeley with you on the visiting people thing. I would never just call round to someone' s house unannoucned and hate it when people do it to me. I don't know if it's just me but I think it's really ill mannere. I'm a very provate person with boundaries/walls/steel gates up (figuratively speaking not literally around my house )
even my SIL just rings and says she's coming round now which bugs me -panics me slightly, makes me feel out of control. luckily it doesn't happen very often.

Day at work went better than anticipated. I spoke with the person who upset me yesterday. I was calm and asked if there was a general probelm or concern. they seemed genuinely shocked at what I said. Maybe they were just having a bad day and didn't realise how off they sounded tbh. We have alsways enjoyed a good relationship previously so all good again.

Is anyone else really tired despite getting decent sleep. I could just sleep now it's wild!

Just going to read some more then sleep. Hope everyone's day went well and congrats to everyone on their milestones.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Day 4. Checking in with my support group.
wow, takes a long time for me to stop the depression.

The older I get each time gets more depression time. People notice. I cant stand being the brunt of jokes.

Time to grow up...Happy Tuesday 👑🚴*♀️
Old 09-05-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

hi bluee, I suffered from depression allthrough my teens and adulthood until I stopped drinking. After a few months I realised the drinking was causing the depression. In the time i was sober it never returned. I still had anxiety (much milder) but controlled with low dose meds.

Since drinking again my anxiety has increased and depression returned in full force I know each day I stay sober is a day away from my depression. It does get better
Old 09-05-2017, 01:15 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Day 5 drawing to a close - RAL, I too am constantly tired can't stay awake past 9pm and craving sweet foods which I don't normally eat - on my third cup of cocoa now. Goodnight all, sleep tight.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Back to day 1 today after a relapse last night. Happy and grateful to be a September member.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

It's crazy isn't it General. I'm craving the sweet stuff too thought I'd lose weight quitting drinking but not at all. Ah well there is time.

Sorry to hear that Gabe. Great to see you back though and you've not gone further into drinking. Did you have a good holiday? Was there a lot of pressure? At least you're back on board