Notices

Class of September 2017 Support Thread Part 1

Old 09-03-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you decide to do soemthign Bluee - even a walk around the block can hrlp

welcome back rubaduck - If there's one thing I can recommend it's posting here before you drink - we could have told you a dozen other ways to deal with a headache

D
Old 09-03-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Hi Badgerden! It's great to be back and joining all you good people in the wonderful world of sobriety!
Old 09-03-2017, 06:43 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Day 4
I've felt better but I'm ok for now. Still not sleeping well. I decided to stay where I am one more day before going home, the idea of being home in the evening when I don't have to go to work made me nervous. Feel good about the decision and my husband is supportive, he wants me to stop drinking so much. So I don't feel great but I feel grateful
Old 09-03-2017, 10:10 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

This is such a great group. Truly! I've enjoyed reading everyone's experiences (the good AND the bad).

I've basically spent my Sunday doing nothing. I didn't want to go anywhere because my energy levels are low and again I just feel the need to have a day where I just relax. It definitely helped. I've had my moments of bad thinking about the other day and although I'm sure I think people are talking about me more than reality, I do know there are at least 2 people that will be gossiping about me. The good realization came to "I don't care". Honestly, why should I spend so much time feeling bad about what other people think of me? I have to learn to be more about me (I'm a people pleaser) and though not easy, I have to. It got me thinking to how this time will be different. The hangovers were worse, the withdrawals worse, just like it happens to everyone. It just gets worse. So the other question that always comes out is "What will you do this time to make it different?". And I've realized I've built a lot of friendships around eating and drinking. "When is Happy Hour?? Ugh!!!" those are typical messages I received. I've tried before to quit and then get those messages and think "I can go but just not drink" and even if I say up front I'm just going to eat something healthy and drink water, it never happens. And then people laugh "Hahah I see that didn't work" ... well.. it's not funny. Not to me. And this is how it's going to be different this time around. I need to remove myself completely from relationships and situations that aren't healthy for me. At least until I get strong enough to be in a situation where I can firmly say no, I'm good with water.

So that was my little revelation today during my relax time. Pretty huge to me even though it probably seems basic so I'm sorry for the novel ....

Feeling much better tonight inside and out.

Thanks again for being a great group and for posting - I truly enjoy reading all of your experiences.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:25 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Good morning all , checking in to wish you all a good day .
Old 09-03-2017, 11:53 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Morning all,
Another wild day here. Rushing and off to work soon will check in later but just wanted to say have a good day.x
Old 09-04-2017, 12:34 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

morn all x hope the weekend was good for you .

Again ive been bz but today and rest of the week should be quieter for me as i don't have too much appointments and music festival to be at.

So hoping to keep sober for the week and weekend.

will check in later to see how u all are xx
Old 09-04-2017, 01:07 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. Day 4. Weekend was good did some running and mountain biking on local trails. Helped to get over the usual reaching for the wine at 5pm. Hope everyone's OK.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:10 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

ReadyAtLast - Have a great day at work!!

Erratic - I love your pug avatar!!!

General - Trail running sounds so nice. It's something I used to enjoy before I started to drink too heavily. It's one of my goals to get back to running shape.

3am and I can't sleep. Can't believe I made it to day 7, though. Even if it's going to be a sleepy day 7.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:34 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Congrats 7 days 60&B
Old 09-04-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Oh learning how to stay calm and develop new ways of dealing with things. When I got to work today there wad a problem and feel I'm getting the blame. I could feel myself getting enraged. I stated what part was my error but not it all and I am not being made a scapegoat. Feel calmer now.

Obviously I wouldn't drink at work but dam sure would when I got home. Not tonight tho. Might try the walk too.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

Thanks 60 x keep up ur good work also x

Readyatlast i know how hard it is to keep calm x good on u when finishing this stressfull day is maybe go for a walk x

General great job on day 4 xx keep up the momentum of exercise x

I have 1 appointment today with my pdoc so shouldn't be to stressful lets hope this time i bring down my shield lol x

catch u all again later x
Old 09-04-2017, 05:51 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Hi I'll come on board. I had just over six months and had the usual what if I just had 1 cravings but I knew the consequences so I kept them at bay.
Until!!
I took the family on an all inclusive holiday I was surrounded Day and night by alcohol. I gave in and decided to have one.
Wow
5 days later and a ruined holiday for my family and a raving withdrawal which I promised I'd never do again
But I'm on day 4 and I'm done I loved those 6 months I dipped my toe and the shark took a leg but I'm not dead yet.
The first drink is the worst drink
Old 09-04-2017, 06:02 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Hi everyone - day 6 here and all is well.

Yesterday I was really busy with laundry, bills, paperwork, etc. I spent a lot of good quality time with my dog. He really loves it when I don't have to go to work! I went and picked up my Mom and brought her over to my house for company. She has some health issues and cannot drive anymore. I try not to worry about her, but I do. She helped me a lot by folding laundry and organizing some of the kids' rooms. (They are messy teenagers!) So it was a good, good day! Watched some tennis and baseball.

Today will be good, hopefully. Going to finally tackle my clothes and closet, getting stuff ready for donation. I've been meaning to do this for a while, but now have a really good place to donate (very needy people who love getting "new" stuff - and I just imagine the smile on someone's face as I put something in the bag to donate.) It's a win-win situation - I get space and organization in my closet, and someone else gets something new and exciting.

Well, off to get my coffee and take a my dog for a walk. I find posting my day count here is really a great way to be "accountable." I also write in my journal everyday to post my more detailed thoughts. I am considering going to a SMART meeting tonight, though it still feels like the weekend (it is) so feels kind of odd. We shall see. Have a great day, all!
Old 09-04-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.

Didn't make it today but did keep the numbers down again. Day just started off horribly with someone I have to deal with because of my job making it their mission to try to ruin my day. I mean that in a literal sense. I took the option of biting my tongue in return for a few beers later on.

I'll keep trying Day 1 every day, and keep coming back here successful or otherwise. I actually have made a lot of progress recently. Almost everyone I used to drink with now knows the decision I've made. I haven't kept to to it, but they don't know that, which stops invites to go out drinking, making excuses etc.

I was in the class of July this year, so I know what support I can get from SR.
I have my responses ready to drinking invitations.
I know my reasons for giving up.
I know how I feel the next day when I have too much.
My toes are in the pool, the rest of me will follow soon.
Did it before, will do it again.
It should only take one good day to start the ball rolling. I wasn't hungover today but with terrible sleep (both kids coughing all night next to me - I slept terribly as a kid and loved it when my mother gave me a back rub and comforting words; now I do the same even if it means I don't sleep etc) a bad day was made worse.

Really wish I could access this site at work, but I'd rather keep personal life and work life separate. The IT gods see everything, sadly. A quick check-in before I make the trip home would be so beneficial!

Nonetheless, that's my story at the moment. Fingers crossed Tuesday is a good day in all aspects. Good luck everyone else too.

Last edited by Rubaduck; 09-04-2017 at 06:59 AM. Reason: double word typo
Old 09-04-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Good morning all, really wonderful posts from everyone! Very inspiring!

I am not very hard at work, so far everything is going smoothly, fingers crossed it stays that way!

Badge
Old 09-04-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Starting day 1 so I figure I'd join. I'm really hoping I can do this, I'm really nervous truthfully!
Old 09-04-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Welcome to newcomers. I will read all and post properly later. Just to say my day got worse I very nearly walked out of work was in tears at one point (privately!)

anyway I'm home now, it's 5.15pm and I didn't stop to buy wine. If ever a day I would do it was tonight.x
Old 09-04-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Welcome on board Sarbear & Lazas- this is a great place for support and strength

Hope your day continues smoothly Badger

Rubaduck-I know how hellish day 1 is but we do get through it and the next day isnt as bad. better to have a bad day 1,2 and even 3 but then start to feel better and have some really good drink free days than continually be at day 1 and feel miserable every day? Hope your kids feel better soon.

Sounds like you had a very productive day Juno and spent some quality time with your mum.

Thanks Erratic, the day will soon be over thankfully! how did your appointment go?

Congrats on 7 days 60andbeyond and great stuff on throwing the wine out

Just had a jacuzzi to relax and made milkshakes with fruit I picked at the weekend. Food is in the oven and going to catch up on some TV. I love the Nordic Noir stuff they show and been watching Dicte-Crime Reporter. Don't know if they show it in the US. Then some Inspector George Gently and Foyles War- UK classmates may know these dramas!!
Old 09-04-2017, 10:44 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 5. It's been a nice quiet long weekend though I don't return to work until the 11th as I nurse a compression fracture.

I've had a lot of time to think and indulge in self care this past week as I'm physically not able to do much. I've done a lot of sleeping which at one point was sinking me into depression so I've hauled my butt out of bed/couch to be among the living.

I've been doing a lot of recovery reading.

I have an extremely high pressure job in a healthcare executive role that contributed to my ever escalating love affair with vodka. I've been there 24 years. Upon my return my plan is to put my big girl panties on underneath my business suit and tackle it. Thankfully I am working with a professional that has me on anti anxiety medication as needed. In the past week I've only taken one, pills are not an issue for me, vodka is.

My appetite is returning and I plan to eat healthy 90% of the time with the occasional indulgence. I will return to walking once my spine has healed.

Thank God I have NO desire to drink.

Have a great sober day everyone!