Notices

Class of September 2017 Support Thread Part 1

Old 09-02-2017, 08:37 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Great to see you Badge We did this before and can do it again

Think most of us are keeping busy. I seem to have this amazing renewed energy and don't want to sit down. I picked 2kg of blackberries this morning then came home and painted a decent portion of the outside of the house. Then Jr Ral and I went out for more blackberries. Pretty decent day here although weather meant to deteriorate overnight so might as well get outdoor tasks done while we can.

Glad you enjoyed the movie Juno - we love watching the old ones. Watched ET a couple of weeks ago too

Hi Ed& Erratic, welcome.

hope you feel better as the day goes on Dazee.

Great work silverskies, I don't think I could have done that. I'd have been too tempted to give in and drink. My husband has a couple of beers at home some evenings but that doesn't bother me as i wasn't a beer drinker. If my DOC was readily available though I'd probably cave so well done

Congrats on 14 days Rebecca and everyone else on their milestones
Old 09-02-2017, 08:55 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone. It was so awesome to wake up to Day 6 and a Saturday morning and go to Dunkin to get some coffee and just sit and enjoy the morning. I can't remember waking up sober and hangover free on a Saturday in so long! I did have some trouble last night. Got to sleep relatively easily but kept waking up like once an hour. Maybe my brain so used to having been shut down by alcohol (passing out). Has anyone else experienced waking up multiple times during the night?
Old 09-02-2017, 09:09 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Good morning all, feels great to be on my deck in the morning
with a cup of coffee and not feeling sick.

As I am healing from a,spinal fracture and in pain, my activitie are limited but my plan is to clean up around here with OH and have him take me for an ice cream cone.

Tonight friends are making us dinner and they're drinkers but I have no concerns at all. I've declined before in front of them without any drama. I have zero desire for alcohol after reading "This Naked Mind" last night. May read it again today.

Have a great day!
Old 09-02-2017, 09:23 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Healthygoals View Post
Good morning all, feels great to be on my deck in the morning
with a cup of coffee and not feeling sick.

As I am healing from a,spinal fracture and in pain, my activitie are limited but my plan is to clean up around here with OH and have him take me for an ice cream cone.

Tonight friends are making us dinner and they're drinkers but I have no concerns at all. I've declined before in front of them without any drama. I have zero desire for alcohol after reading "This Naked Mind" last night. May read it again today.

Have a great day!
Thanks for book suggestion. I've been compiling a list to try and check out myself based on what I've seen here!
Old 09-02-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I love reading too and it's helped me in the past.

Think right, Feel right by R. Isett is excellent
Old 09-02-2017, 10:00 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deniedfish View Post
Thanks for book suggestion. I've been compiling a list to try and check out myself based on what I've seen here!
When she got to the part about the ethanol in alcohol being the same as what we pump into our cars? All I visualize now is sucking gas out of my car to get drunk and I'm completely repulsed at the thought.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:07 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Day 1.
If like to join you all. I pray this is the month I get myself together. Enough is enough.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:12 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Healthygoals View Post
When she got to the part about the ethanol in alcohol being the same as what we pump into our cars? All I visualize now is sucking gas out of my car to get drunk and I'm completely repulsed at the thought.
I've been meaning to read that book. I've skimmed it online,but when I read I prefer an actual book. Guess I'm old? Off to amazon I go. (Old and lazy?)
Old 09-02-2017, 10:39 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hi All, I would like to join this group....I am on day 3 of my journey....tried before but not successful. This time it is really important to me to do this....for myself, my family and friends. So I thought getting some support would be really wonderful and hopefully keep me on track. So far I am just feeling anxious, but been out for two long walks today...so that is positive!
Old 09-02-2017, 12:49 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

hi Mavis and Chickchick, welcome

How's everyone doing this afternoon/evening?

It's nearly 9pm here in the UK. Been so busy today and now physically hurting! Made a cream sponge cake too and eaten 3 pieces so feel very slobby but I've made it through another night sober. 1 weeks for me tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:04 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Day 1 do or die - Im 1000% IN

Im new here and very scared
Old 09-02-2017, 01:04 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Just checking in!!! 💕No cravings today !!! Yet..enjoying watching the X factor and not drinking x
Old 09-02-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

welcome chickchick and mavis and hello to dontremember and healthygoals.
Hello Rosa86 and welcome Bluee12!

I doing okay this afternoon RAL, at the moment suffering from a sugar crash after drinking a 24 oz strawberry/banana smoothie, oh and with whipped cream. It was a reward to myself after getting my groceries bought. Congrats on the 1 week!!

I Did get an early start with taking the dogs to the park to chase the tennis ball around, so now I am just curled up in the recliner, not doing to much of anything. Might get ambitious and take a nap though.

Mavis, exercise has helped me so much, I love walking and have started taking my dogs with me. I wish there was actual hiking trails nearby, but I live in town and being in the desert, hiking trails are few and far between.

I just picked up a book, To the bright edge of the World, a novel about a couple who travel and explore the Alaska territory in 1885. It is written as a journal, I have read one of the authors books before and enjoyed it, hoping this will turn out okay.

Take care all!
Badge
Old 09-02-2017, 01:24 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I'd like to join day 5 for me.Trying to make it through Saturday. No booze at the house and I'm not leaving . Trying to stay safe.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:24 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Welcome Mavis, Chickchick, Bluee, & Joeshope, and anyone else new

Just a quick check in. I slept in today and then did a couple of things around the house, took a shower and I'm heading up to see my mom. Planning on not drinking and watching football tonight.

I hope everyone is having a good day/evening
Old 09-02-2017, 02:31 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hi bluee12, hopefully you will feel better over the next couple of days, but you can always post here. I was certainly very scared when I joined here, but it's so refreshing to hear people talk about something that makes so much sense to me. I'm just finishing my day 14 sober and feeling proud as I had such such strong cravings today, I went into the centre of town for a few things and a new gin bar that is opening was giving out free samples, I almost ran by so as not to stop ha!
It's things like that that definitely make me see i don't think about alcohol like a 'normal drinker'.
So nice to hear what everyone has done with their days - home baked cake, strawberry smoothies, whipped cream, exercise and then naps all sound like perfect treats for another sober day! X
Old 09-02-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Well, I started off Day 5 feeling so excited. Yay! Day 5! I still can't believe I made it. Just about out of the worst symptoms ...

So I had an event to go to today and at first I was feeling confident thinking woo hoo I'm going and my heart doesn't feel like it's going to explode for once and I'm finally coming out of this brain fog. Then when I get there, I realize I've gained a lot of weight (from drinking) since the last time I've seen these people and then can see it in their eyes when they first see me like ... oh wow you're fat (and bloated mainly). Sigh. So I start to feel really funny and the more I am there, the more I realize it's a trigger and I need to avoid it until I am further into my sobriety. It's too soon and I need to be protective of myself and environment.

I left. And I know everyone is now thinking I'm an anti social jerk. I cried the whole drive home just knowing what people must think of me and also realizing how bad I feel about myself and what I've done to me. And how I wish I could just snap my fingers and make everything change. Like I didn't gain 40lbs from doing nothing but eating and drinking for basically 5 months solid. Can't snap my fingers and make magic, but I can make a change and it will take time.

Now that I'm home and in my "safe space" I think I need to take a moment to feel good about myself that I was able to see a trigger and remove myself from it. I realize I'm not strong enough yet and so I need to protect that. I just need to let go of the disappoint from others and realize in time it will be better.. though yes it still stings knowing they are upset I left. It's not about them ...

There's my little Saturday novel. Thank you for giving me a forum to leave my thoughts.

Thankful, more than anything, for this 5th day.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:25 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

60andbeyond -

It gets better.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Nice post 60andbeyond, you put yourself first and that is not an easy thing to do. Your home, your safe and your sober and that is so much to be proud of! I am sitting here smiling, knowing how hard it was to do what you did and you are spot on when you said it is not about them, let them think what they want. Play the tape forward and imagine what you would be feeling about yourself tomorrow if you had drank? You have every right to hold your head up and be proud!

Badge
Old 09-02-2017, 05:38 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome ed2715 ChickChick Joeshope Mavis and Blueee

No matter if you've tried before I really believe that we can not only get into recovery but stay there.

For me it really helped to take drinking off the table as a viable option.

No matter what the situation or the feeling I committed to finding other ways to cope or fit in than drinking.

I finally accepted that it was the first drink that did the damage, not the last.

I may not have gotten into trouble everytime I drank but everytime I did get into trouble drinking was involved.

It may seem like a momentous change - but change is a process the same as anything else - it's ok to take it one day at a time

You guys can do this

D