Old 08-31-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Great Gil, Thanks for asking.

(((Mags)))

Andy,
You too. We're great.

Toots,
We're fine. Thanks for the mental image of a trio of old codgers with gowns on backwards flying down the road at speeds in excess of 5 mph!

FBL,
I'd hoped it was benign. She has done very well considering her age.
The book is likely fine. But a second look is not necessarily overkill. After it goes to press is too late.

Sassy. I often weigh the times I live/lived in, and sometimes I think it would be nice to be born today and live to see the end of the changeover to cheap energy for all, and an end to the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) and coal age. Haven't we lived in wonderful times! From the transistor and TVs to today's 65" TV and computers in our hands. We have more computer in pour cell phones than the fighter jets and spacecraft of the 70's and 80s had.

But then I think of Pakistan with Nukes, Iran likely to, North Korea with Kim the nut job, and that the domestic fascists and haters are growing bolder again. I thought we'd learned and were advancing as one race -HUMAN! I hope no one has to live through the nightmare scenarios that are human made. Mother Nature is now slapping at the little creatures infecting and polluting her surface.

Hey Suze!!

OK, we did get a gully washer of rain I am listening for the rainfall totals. Regardless our drain shaping of the front of the property and the culvert handled it perfectly!

The news is now talking about the e.coli counts 128 times higher than is allowed for swimming. A chemical plant did blow up. IT wasn't until we got home that we heard about how toxic the waste and chemical soup was we were in back then. Then there were the floaters decomposing overnight in the then 98 degree weather. You could smell them long before you saw them. The rescuers now need to see their docs for some prophylactic treatment as needed based on what the medical community determines were the biggest risks.
Here is what we saw: http://s1359.photobucket.com/user/RV...?sort=3&page=1

My yard would be flooded for a day or two after the rain we received in the past 24 hours. The winds were in line with a regular thunderstorm, and I only have a few small limbs down. In other words, an anticlimax. Harvey had blown out.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi everyone -

Mags - sending you and Merlin a big warm hug

Itchy - thanks for sharing your updates. My mind can't wrap itself around the full extent of impact from what has transpired. The latest I heard is that the clean water supply is now shut off and I fear for what comes next. Sending you strength and support.

Quick update on me: I am back from 2 week trip to Oregon, where I saw the full eclipse (amazing!) and had a wedding reception bbq and saw many friends. Wow, was it HOT - reaching 100. It was tough to be 'on' and I am happy to be at home, but happy that I went.

I'm still battling morning sickness, but I feel that I have it somewhat in control now after gaining 13lbs in 4 weeks just trying to keep the nauseous at bay with a full tummy. (WOW what a gain!) I'm hoping to keep the weight the same for the next week now that I am back home and can lay down when I need to and not always be 'on.' My first dr's appt is next week and I'll get a more accurate due date.

My wedding ring is already too tight for me to wear, so I had to take it off. I have also stopped cooking and tend to get out of bed at 10 now instead of my usual 7. I joke with my partner that it didn't take me long (2 weeks) after marriage to get lazy and fat.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your wedding, SE!

During morning sickness, I found Saltines to be my greatest friend.

Hope you enjoy your pregnancy!
Old 08-31-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

The book just went out the door, WOO-HOO!!!
Old 08-31-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening Overs x
Old 08-31-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

FBL:

Old 08-31-2017, 05:51 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Serene,
I am sorry for your morning sickness and congrats on your wedding!

We are fine, sorry for the confusion. Those rescue pics with me packing my .40 cal were from Hurricane Katrina August 30-2 September 2005. We took our boats down to rescue them starting the day after Katrina for three days and nights, just like the folks going in to the SE Texas areas around Houston.

Our Hurricane Harvey last night, although feared to still be enough to hurt us up here in NW Louisiana, proved out to be just a bunch of rain with little wind left. So I am not without water or anything. I don't have a boat anymore so I stayed home for this one. Plus my recent eye and back surgeries make me less able to heave people up into a boat. I am going to donate this time.

I just almost spewed my coffee all over the screen as I have the TV on and some stupid people are saying Obama did less than Trump for Hurricane Katrina! LOL! Bush was president from 200-2008 and Obama came into office in the January 2009 inauguration. These are the same twits who claimed Obama was in office when the bailout legislation and the great recession was his fault too. It was Bush in office until Obama was inaugurated in Jan 2009. TARP and the banking auto industry bailouts were all done in late 2007 through mid 2008. Some Bush signed into law just before the election of 2008 when Obama won. Don't pass this along, regardless of political party, you can't teach stupid.

Bush did blow it on Katrina, But not as badly as Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco and our National Guard general Honore who sent his troops in with M-16s and no magazines, and they got pretty much everything wrong. Unlike this Texas governor who asked for volunteers with civilians and their boats our Governor then Blanco, and her Nat. Guard General set up police roadblocks to keep all would be rescuers out. I had police credential and background and we had our own guns and food so they vetted us through to help. One of only a few boats let in for three days. The fatalities this time should be far fewer despite the much worse damage over a much larger area.

But unless you have been there it is hard to imagine what they are up against.

FBL!

Hey Wolf how are you doing?

It actually got sunny this after noon despite the cloudy conditions!

The scary part is that scientists are warning that this is just the beginning of climate change increasingly freakish and deadly weather.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:57 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

Itchy, I'm pleased you've got water and electric, where would we be without them, as some people are finding out. I've been watching the floods on the TV news. Horrific. Take care!

Hi Serene, congratulations on your wedding ❤️

Fbl, wowee! Congratulations

It's Friday again and I finish an hour earlier today, at 3pm instead of 4. Yaay. Sassy, I think that's called something. it's also first of September! Where has the year gone

Have a good day, my friends.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:10 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Glad the storm petered out a bit before hitting your home Itchy. I read a similar report saying that Harvey is now the new norm due to climate change. And we have an administration full of climate change deniers. The people voting them in are often the ones devastated by these mega storms.

Hello SW!

Happy September all! I can't believe how quickly the summer has flown by here.

Best wishes for a great day all!
Old 09-01-2017, 02:08 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Stargazer x
Old 09-01-2017, 03:49 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Mags, (((Merlin)))!

Serene, congrats on the wedding! Morning sickness is no fun but it does pass eventually

Itchy, from what I've read, I gather that it's what we experience today that mostly seems like "the worst". I must admit though that I'm relieved I'm not young during all of this craziness.

SG, I also am aghast not only at climate change deniers but more so at the results of their policies. Robert Heinlein once wrote something about earth and all of our eggs in one basket as being a reason for space exploration.

Hi Wolfie!

Hi Suze!

Hi Toots

Congrats on the book, FBL

Yes, Mags, it's That day - thanks for the reminder.

And hi to all this lovely POETS Day.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Itch, glad to hear that you're high-n-(relatively) dry!

Feels good to have one project out of what's left of my hair. Now it's back to what I call "The Beast". The Top Pop Albums book will be twice the size of the Pop Annual and 100x the data entry. I am HOPING to have it wrapped up by the end of the year, but we'll see.

Have a Fantastic Friday, overs!
Old 09-01-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

If anyone can do it, you can!
Old 09-01-2017, 09:06 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good afternoon Overs.

The good news is that Mrs Terrific's tumours are dying

the bad news, the oncologist wants her to have six more cycles.
but the oncologist has prescribed some new anti-sickness meds, so fingers crossed.

Glad you are okay Itchy.

FBL way to go.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:32 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

That is overall fantastic news, Andy!

I will pray for fortitude through the new cycle and that the new medicine does the job of controlling illness.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Safe vibes to all Overs
Old 09-01-2017, 01:17 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

You too, FG!
Old 09-01-2017, 02:23 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Andy, good to hear there is progress (or, more accurately, regression). Big hugs to you and Mrs Terrific! Sorry you will be going through more treatment. Keeping fingers crossed and sending prayers!
Old 09-01-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks Mags,
We just got some rain and no winds. I had a limb come down in the drive from a regular storm several days before Harvey hit. Time does fly lately. The older I get the faster.

Thanks SG,
You are so right about the folks fooled are the ones hurt. And they somehow blame others with alternate facts. Happy September to you too! I have two anniversaries I celebrate in September. It is like May in my family. We have two boys and I'm May 3rd, My oldest May 7, and my spousal unit May 20th. My youngest is December 29th because we needed the tax deduction! Glad you're well too!

Hey Wolf! How's MS W? Birds and projects? Niece visited lately?

Sassy,
For me, you can't go wrong with Heinlein. I grok you.
I believe today is rich in opportunity and technology. You gotta admit it's fun to watch especially in person at a mall. Walking and texting.

FBL,
Now that sounds like the book I had. break a leg! (just no carpal eyeball syndrome )

Andy!
Great news! I am sure you are thrilled. Six more cycles doesn't sound like fun at all. Give MS A a big hug from the Cajun contingent here.

Hey FG, you 2!

HI Gil, and all the overs.

We had a crazy plague of love bugs the last couple of days. They swarmed us and covered the decks like bees on a honeycomb. We get them every year and they mess up the fronts of out vehicles but I have never seen anything like this. This was taken elsewhere but they were worse here earlier. I am spraying them with poison and blowing them off with the leaf blower: