Notices

One Year & Over Part 53

Old 08-30-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Hoping for the best for you Itchy! You certainly have taken all precautions. It's amazing how a major storm can reduce a city to third world standards overnight.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Magsie

Itchy, it's very daunting, I'm pleased you and your wife are safe .

Toots, have a good trip to your second home, it'll be a lot warmer than here, that's for sure.

My cat Merlin is getting old and doddery. His eyesight and hearing is going and I am sad. He's had a good life with us, and I pray that when it's time he will just go in his sleep. I guess that's how we all want it at the end. Sorry for being like this, I know there are more important things going on.

Take care and see you tomorrow
Old 08-30-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Wow, Itch! Thanks for filling us in!

I had no idea what was involved in the reasons for non-evacuation and the process of rescue. Even though I wasn't directly affected, I'd like to offer my heartfelt thanks to you for your assistance during Katrina.

I saw a headline today that suggested that looters in Houston may be given a sentence of life in prison!

I hope you all are safe and sound tonight, and that you don't sustain any damage.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that you're having to come to terms with Merlin's decline, Mags.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Re-Member

CNN is doing round the clock coverage of the evacuations.

We slept on the concrete parking lot where we were parked. Getting coordinated is the hard part and there will inevitably be some looters, something no one talks about to avoid giving bad folks the idea. Remember that if the rain holds off that area of Texas, unlike New Orleans, is above sea level. So the water will drain more quickly.

Yep, it doesn't take much. PJ, there is a book that was vetted for scientific accuracy with a fore word by Senator McCain called one second after. Dropping a nuke on a city is kinder than leaving all the people and buildings alone and doing aerial detonations of nukes designed to maximize EMP or Electromagnetic Pulse which happens with ever atomic bomb. If one is detonated like the last ones dropped on Japan, only the blast area gets EMP which is the least of their worries. But an EMP attack will fry all our electronics. Watches, cars except old cars with no computers, all planes, radios, TVs, cell phones, smart homes, all will be permanently fried. The cities get toxic fast as the gangs go on killing sprees. The book takes place in a suburban town near a large city and they have to defend themselves and keep food and water sources in operation.

Even imagining brings no comprehension like that book did for me. However, we always have a big freezer full of food. But if just our water supply was cut off we would have big trouble in no time. EMP knocks out the trucks that deliver food and products and the train as well as aircraft. Here's a link to the book's website. I'm sure there will be copies in the local libraries in the US.
One Second After by William R. Forstchen

SG,
Thanks!
We'll be fine as long as it doesn't turn due north and stall over us.

Sending positive thoughts to the folks of SE Texas.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Mags
Our posts crossed. I'm sorry you are at end of life for Merlin. You kitty is lucky to have had a human take good care of him. Its not sad, it is wonderful he loves you too. Wait until he's gone to mourn. Spoil him rotten until then. Our Skylar collapsed and made it through that Sunday night before we had to bring him in to the vets when they opened. She said his systems were all but shut down and we put him to sleep.

If an EMP hit my genset would never work again. It's computer controlled so it auto exercises every Thursday at 11 am. That keeps the battery up and wets the engine seals so they don't dry, crack, and spew oil.

Gil,
It is an eye opener to go into a place like that. Fortunately I had been trained in disaster preparedness in the military so we had my chain saw, my big crowbar, and lots of food, water and enough beer for me for three days, three cases. The other guys were buying snacks and I redirected them to self heating food and cans, not chips and candy. I warned the guys I was not sharing my beer. I relented and gave them each a beer when we got in each evening. We had ice because we drove by FEMA on the way to the I10 causeway we launched from on Airline Highway. We were in the boats for a mile down the highway until we got to the city. We left when the state finally got more rescuers and boats. Katrina was handled as if for this one the police were keeping volunteers out, and finally let them in on the fourth day which is two days from now. Many people died that didn't have to. I am tickled to see Texas asking for help.

I just read that a chemical plant will likely catch fire or explode when their contents get wet.

I just heard from a Rice University scientist that Harvey is going to be the new norm due to climate change.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Magsie

Thanks Gilmer.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mags

D
Old 08-30-2017, 06:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Re-Member

OK,
We are officially screwed. Instead of veering to the east a bit as hoped, it is pouring torrential rain here and we are going to be in the storm for ten hours or so at the least. This is going to be worse than that last serious flooding we had here two years ago.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you and yours stay safe Itch.

D
Old 08-30-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Me 2 Dee. I am hoping my earth work does the trick.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, Itch. Hope your system works just as you have planned.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:41 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks Gil,
We'll be fine but some of our neighbors on the riverfront and in nearby towns may have severe problems. Our genset hasn't been needed thus far (knock on wood)
Old 08-30-2017, 10:06 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Magsie

Itchy, hope it soon disperses. Keep safe
Old 08-30-2017, 11:29 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

With you in spirit Itchy.

Mags give Merlin a hug from us

Have the best day you can everyone.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:32 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Itchy as soon as I heard it was heading toward Louisiana I thought of you. Here's hoping you all come out the other end unscathed.

Mags, nothing is more important than concern for a loved one nearing their end. Merlin has been lucky to have you, and will leave you many happy memories. I too hope he passes peacefully when his time comes.

We are still waiting for official release of my dad. The guy in the next bed was kicking off because he thought he was going out yesterday and was told it might not be til Friday. The guy opposite was told he was getting out yesterday, but then told he wasn't. I expect they have organised an escape committee, begun digging tunnels and are busy learning German. Thankfully none of them have motorbikes!
Old 08-31-2017, 03:36 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Itch, stay safe. Hoping for the best.

Mags, it's so hard when our pets get old. Hopefully Merlin goes peacefully.

Some good news yesterday on the Fran front. The tumor they removed was benign! She's still in the ICU with the breathing tube, but they don't want to remove it until her lungs can function normally.

Had some last minute editing issues, so the book is still here. I maybe could've rushed it yesterday, but my eyes were tired and I didn't want to forget anything. Will finish it today with a clear head and fresh eyes. It wasn't going to get put on the printer's schedule until next week anyway, so no need to rush it and risk any major mistakes.

Have a great Thursday, gang!
Old 08-31-2017, 04:48 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Mags, please give Merlin snuggles for me it's so hard when our four-footed friends near the end of their lives. I don't know which is worse - us outlasting them or vice versa.

Itchy, I also thought of you when I heard that Louisiana was getting flooding from Harvey. I, too, think there are nightmare scenarios that I hope never to experience. When I saw the flooding in Houston, I thought about what I had read about the Katrina flooding and the problems with toxic water. Thinking of you!

FBL, good to hear that Fran's tumor is benign.

Hi to all!
Old 08-31-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

So much love to you and Merlin dearest Mags.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Magsie

Many thanks for your hugs and kind words for Merlin, he's sleeping a lot but tottering when he does walk. He's eating then he forgets he's ate and goes back meowing by his dish. Bless him. He's not in pain though, just addled and old, pretty much how I'll get, no doubt! Lol

Take care over, be safe