Notices

One Year & Over Part 53

Old 09-14-2017, 08:25 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InParticular View Post
Hey! SR kept me signed in for the first time in months! What's up with that??? I'll take it though!
It's my birthday! Well in three hours anyway. I'm 39 now, one more year of my thirties to go!
The last decade has been a HUUUUUUGGEEEEE learning curve, but I'm glad that I'm getting to the finish line (starting line of the next!) all in one piece and better than when I started. Thank God. I kind of feel like I'm starting over, or something like that.
Anyway I have more freedom right now than I ever could have asked for, really. This is all I ever really wanted when I look back, to be free to do what I want, to be independent. I am both of those things. And healthy. What more could I ever want? I'm going out with five friends tomorrow for dinner, and they are such nice people. I'm happy to have these friends. In the last few years I've made some great friends and it feels good because in the past my relationships always crashed and burned.
Anyway, I think my point is that I'm grateful.

Hope all are well! (((Mags))) hugs to you.
Midwest, cool about your brother!
Suze, only ten days to go! Thank you so much for the gracious invitation, I only wish I could come!

dearest InPar!!! (((hugs))) ♥

Love you girl ~ and I wish you could come too. I wish you all could.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:27 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

PS....I love the 14th....I feel incredible joy every month when I do the aniversary list for this date.....what a powerhouse of sobriety. How inspirational. How incredibly awesome.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:55 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations toots, dharma, wolfie and sassy on your sober anniversary from me too!
Old 09-14-2017, 07:00 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrakeCKC View Post
It was, it is now unfortunately a toxic relationship. It is ok really.
Interestingly, this was not about alcohol, both of us do not drink. He got angry about a sale of his condo that fell through and blamed everyone, especially me. He got uglier and uglier until the day I slammed my door in his face to keep him from yelling at me. The saddest part is that I have known his wife for many more years than him (he is a second husband) and she is now cold and distant.

Sad to lose a long time friend, but I am ok. As you have all pointed out, toxicity is something none of us need!

and friends!
Old 09-14-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InParticular View Post
Hey! SR kept me signed in for the first time in months! What's up with that??? I'll take it though!

I just noticed that too! And Happy Birthday IP!!
Old 09-14-2017, 10:20 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

Hiya drake, good to see you. My nannan used to say, bless her heart, There's nowt so funny as folk! People change, sometimes for the good and sometimes not.

Have a ticketeboo Friday overs
Old 09-14-2017, 11:51 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

Well done Toots, glad you're feeling better.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:54 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry about that, Drake. That's a big loss.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:32 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Fran was only back in the ICU for a few hours to clear her breathing tube. She's back in her regular hospital room today.

Have a Fantastic Friday, overs!
Old 09-15-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Drake, sorry to hear that. Interpersonal relationships can be so tricky :-(

Toots, I'm delighted you are feeling better and congrats on uploading your latest! One of these days I really will download the series :-)

FBL, sorry Fran is having a rough time recuperating. From what I've seen, there comes a time as we get older that our recuperative powers wane no matter how healthy we are. It's another situation where time is a nearly infinite leveler.

Have a happy POETS Day to all!
Old 09-15-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Sorry about losing a long time friend Drake. When a relationship becomes toxic, it is better to cut it out, instead of letting it fester and drag you down. In the long run, it will be more their loss than yours.

Glad to see that you are finally feeling a bit better Toots!

Good news on the Fran front FBL!

Enjoy the day all!
Old 09-15-2017, 06:21 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

I feel sorry for them Drake! They lost a good friend and good friends are hard to come by. I love the saying "Don't be bitter, be better". They sound bitter.

I hope everyone has a great Friday. 1 day left at home and I am packed. Ready to go !
Old 09-15-2017, 07:00 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FormerBeerLover View Post
Fran was only back in the ICU for a few hours to clear her breathing tube. She's back in her regular hospital room today.

Have a Fantastic Friday, overs!
Good news love!

PS Who is that in your avatar, she asks, afraid to find out the answer....

Old 09-15-2017, 08:56 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
PS Who is that in your avatar, she asks, afraid to find out the answer....
Grant Hart, of the 80s punk-rock band Husker Du. He just died yesterday at age 56.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

That's younger than me! :-O
Old 09-15-2017, 04:27 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Well folks- the learnin' never stops. My emotional growth seems to have growth spurts. Always accompanied with emotional pain- which kicks me back into physical pain (burns/flashbacks- remorse-guilt..blahdeblah). I have changed. THAT was going to happen- be it good or bad after my little rock-b. I chose the hard path, getting better. THAT means facing my darkness. The rotten part of my soul which lead to drinking. It is still very visceral and raw. The burns and my emotions are a perfect metaphor for each other. Strange how often people say things like 'a burning desire' or 'I crashed and burned'. Such moments come with a growing realisation at the damage I have caused others in the wake of my drinking. I remain firmly grounded- resolute never to return to the past. When the pain finally recedes to a whisper...then I know I have found balance. To think- I can read back to Grandad- then my dad- then me and my bro's. Well worth it.
It is a lovely day- so walkies then a meeting. Be kind to yourselves gentle souls.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  
Administrator

a sad loss indeed FBL - and too close for comfort to my own age.

D
Old 09-15-2017, 04:46 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

(((((pj)))))
Old 09-15-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good weekend pj and everyone

D
Old 09-16-2017, 12:49 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Sassy,
Windows Hello can't be defeated by pictures or even twins I'm reading, because it uses infrared so a picture won't work with no heat. It does require special camera hardware, the Intel Realsense infrared camera. It is standard on the Surface Pro 4. https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ml#post6604873 (One Year & Over Part 53)

Happy Anniversobery everyone!

Toots,
Glad you are feeling fit again. Congrats on getting the book out!

I used to have chronic bronchitis and allergies that got worse every year. When I quit drinking I quit smoking too. Within a few months I had no bronchitis or allergies at all! I believe all the vaccinations I took annually in the military built my immune system up. It is also diet because neither my SH or me ever get colds or flu. I just got my flu shot a couple of days ago. No reaction save a but tired the next day. I also have not had a headache of any kind since my twenties. Not one. Everyone around us are always getting sick from one thing or another. We don't isolate and even being around kids did not cause illness. My immune system is bulletproof. All I felt 20 years ago when I had a raging sinus infection was pressure, not pain or headache. I'm glad to not be ill, but haven't forgotten how miserable it was in my teens. So I have to credit my quitting smoking three packs a day equally with my sobriety for my amazing health.

FBL,
Sorry 'but Fran. Good spirits sent her way.

Mid,
It's faster when I stop forgetting to smile at the camera and it is making its eyes swivel around and saying looking for you. Sheesh, my computer is a smart axe! I sure envy your hiking and working out daily. We did a lot of hiking and camping in Colorado when we were assigned to the AF Academy in the Springs. Then we did a lot of hiking in Alaska in 1999. Now I'm hoping to get toned up enough to be mobile for another 20 years. Use it or lose it!

Suze,
Glad for you. Gratitude is contagious.

Mags,
Any word on your ENT date? I hope they call you for an open cancellation.

Drake,
Sounds like you're better off!

Thanks PJ,
Well said.

Dee,
Remember the month after I quit drinking alcohol, my two years younger brother died suddenly of a massive heart attack at 56? I was 58 and chain smoking until the month before, as well as drinking a case of beer plus a day. He was the trim runner, non smoker. Here I am fat dumb and happy at 65. It makes me realize that I am much closer to my end, than my beginning. I know how ya feel Dee.

Y'all have a great weekend!