Notices

Class of July 2017 Part 4

Old 08-24-2017, 03:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Good Thursday morning everyone. Cute, loulou, sunshine, always great to hear from you, and congrats on more days of sobriety.

Sunshine, how was the concert? I've been listening to Social Distortion the last couple of days and really enjoying it. Great workout music.

Not much new to add today. A nice cool morning, which has me looking forward to my favorite season (fall). Have a great day everyone.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearPath64 View Post
Good Thursday morning everyone. Cute, loulou, sunshine, always great to hear from you, and congrats on more days of sobriety.

Sunshine, how was the concert? I've been listening to Social Distortion the last couple of days and really enjoying it. Great workout music.

Not much new to add today. A nice cool morning, which has me looking forward to my favorite season (fall). Have a great day everyone.
The concert was amazing. Mike Ness actually caused me to break down and ball my eyes out. It's a new song called, "Scars". He opened up with a dialogue about his rough childhood and then went into the song. I could relate. He is awesome and he is still a stunning performer at 55... and Bravo to him for staying clean and sober since 1985. Thank you for asking. It was very moving and such a release!
Old 08-24-2017, 11:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi guys, long time no see. I'm still going strong, have no idea how many days, but I'm feeling great. Wish you all a great day.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Sunshine sounds like a really nice concert. I'm still going good. Kind of lost track of days. Getting close to 50 though.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

D54.

Hello all.

Welcome back Fallingleaves! Glad to see you back in the class.

Well done on 30 days loulou!

Starting to feel the fear about next week. Scared about not drinking but more scared of failing so a bit tense right now. Going to listen to a relaxation video tonight and get an early night.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:58 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Happy Friday folks. FallingLeaves, glad to hear from you and extra glad that you are going strong and feeling great. Jenuk, I'm curious about your comment that you are "scared about not drinking" next week. Anything you can share, that we might be able to help you with?

Sunshine, thanks for sharing your experience at the concert. The fact that Mike Ness was able to get sober, and stay sober, from the age of 23 is pretty amazing. As we are all well aware, it takes most of us much, much longer to figure out what a dead end road this addiction is.

I just want to reiterate to everyone how much I appreciate your thoughts, fears, support, etc, etc, in our little group. This really is one of the highlights of my day, checking in and seeing how everyone is doing. I wish you all the best today.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Social Distortion concert here in Tampa has been sold out for weeks! Wish I had known about it. Man - takes me back! Four days off and have ability to choose things to do instead of NetFlix and Vodka! Meetings and phone calls on list. Prayers and best wishes to those in the path of Harvey. Pray that you get out of there. We were stuck in the house when Frances came over S. Fl. and it kind of stalled, but not like this. Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old 08-25-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Day 49

Nothing new going on really, just driving up to the north of England for a job tomorrow. I want to watch the big fight tomorrow night, it'll be on at 05:00am here. I'm wondering whether to try and risk an illegal stream or driving to a bar in town, I know I won't drink because I'm going to wake up for it instead of staying up for it and I will drive there, at 5am I'm thinking the drunk people watching it will be incredibly irritating though. Hope everyone has a nice sober weekend
Old 08-25-2017, 12:34 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

D55 - end of week 8.

Thanks for the comment ClearPath. Basically all I meant was that in the past having time off from work would only ever lead to the same thing, one drunken binge after another. This will be the first time I will be doing it completely sober. Even though I know how bad the last few times were and how much I want to quit, there is still a part of me that is afraid I am wasting an opportunity to drink whenever I want.

I have just been getting a bit worked up about it. Just trying to turn my thoughts around to how good it will feel to get to the end of the week without touching alcohol. To prove I can do it.

Another sober weekend and week here we go!
Old 08-25-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back fallingleaves

Jen- as long as you have a good plan there's no reason for you to 'fail' - you don't have to drink if you don;t want to ..its never to late to start new vacation traditions

Congrats on your milestones guys!

D
Old 08-25-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hey team. Been a bit. Still at it; I think today is day 41, and it's been a rough one, but I think I've overcome the urge to drink for today. Work is just very stressful; plus, my son just left for the Navy yesterday. I'm very proud of him, but it has certainly added to my list of possible stresses: I mean, excuses (because that's all they are!) to drink. Anyway, like I said, I think I'm safe today. I still have to run out to get my other son, during which stopping for a bottle has crossed my mind, I'm ashamed to say. I'm pretty certain though that I'm through the temptation though.

Glad to see so many are still going strong!
Old 08-25-2017, 10:45 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jenuk View Post
D53.

Hi all.

Just reading your post redcardid. Interesting what you said about drinking permissions. Christmas day would always make me fall into that trap believe it or not. I would get sober around September or October (having spent most of the summer drinking most weekends) then Christmas would start appearing around the corner. I would start telling myself that maybe Christmas day should be an exception. Just one day out of the whole year then I could go straight back to being sober after.

As soon as I gave myself permission to do this my AV just loved it. Next thing I was deciding that I might as well drink this weekend then. The logic behind this was that I was going to be breaking sobriety anyway on xmas day. Also I would have more sober time to throw away by then which would be hard. So I would be better off just drinking now so it was easier and I wouldn't feel as much of a failure. It made perfect sense at the time.

Next thing I knew another year was down the drain. Now I try not to even entertain the idea, which isn't easy.

Seems as though we are all progressing. Lets keep going!
Jenuk, I have exactly the same thing! Self-sabotage at its very best (or very worst!)
Old 08-26-2017, 03:47 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Day 50

Had some cravings yesterday evening so I decided it's best not to go out and watch the fight anywhere, I think I'll have to pay for it and watch it on the computer. Have a couple of hours of work and then a horrendous 6 hour drive through loads of road works. Should be a joyus afternoon/evening haha
Old 08-26-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday morning (at least in CO)!

At the mechanic's, having the car's oil changed before taking my daughter to college next week. Of course, they noticed I need new tires, too. So, another $700. Sigh. But I guess it'll be "safer" for the 2000 mile trip.

Weekend will be spent in final packing for dear daughter, and family celebrations for my birthday (since I'll be on the road when "IT" happens).

Hang in there, folks! We can do this!
Old 08-26-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

D56.

Hi class.

Well done on 50 days Sean!

Hope you have a happy birthday fish.

Nerves are still bad today. I am thinking of giving up coffee too. I have been drinking far too much of it since giving up alcohol. Drank a load this morning and still feel terrible, my heart is pounding. It just seems to make the anxiety even worse. Planning to go completely substance free as of tomorrow. Back to the green tea. See how that goes.

Have a good Saturday all.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:36 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

50 days today! I'll watch the fight with my son tonight. Hes a big MMA fan. It'll be great hanging out with him. Good job everyone!
Old 08-26-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Having family over to the house to watch the fight tonight. Honestly not that big of a fan of either MMA or boxing, but can't miss out on the spectacle, right? Should be fun. Congrats to the 50 day milestones. Will be with you next week. 2000 miles Fish? Where is your daughter attending college?
Old 08-26-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

ClearPath, we live in CO, college is in eastern IA. 800+ miles each way, plus some back-and-forth. So, 2000 miles (round trip) may be a bit on the high side . . . but a LOT of time in the car!
Old 08-26-2017, 02:23 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thanks Jen

Congrats on 50 days also, RuneStone. How was I not aware we were on the same days? Haha.

I'm setting my alarm for 04:20am and I'm going to drive to my friends and watch the fight, it'll just be me and him and he's got a newborn baby so he won't be drinking either. I just hope I can get back to sleep afterwards. I think Mayweather will win easily but I kind of want McGregor to win for the underdog.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:59 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I miscounted so I'm actually on day 52 now which is a nice bonus. I went to the gym this morning and now I'm watching football till I have to drive to work in the late afternoon. Hope everyone's enjoying a nice sober Sunday.