Notices

Class of August 2017 Part Two

Old 08-16-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  
Learning to Live

I think it's important to remember that non-alcoholics don't feel the same when they drink as we do. They don't particularly "like" the feeling so they stop. The alcohol affects us so differently. So, it's not as if they get to enjoy that feeling we're so often seeking because they never feel that.

I guess my point is, it's nothing to envy. "They get to drink but I can't and it sucks", but it's not the same for them. I hope I'm making sense, I know i'm probably babbling, I'm still half asleep. lol
Old 08-16-2017, 07:30 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Starting Day #3 and feeling much better. Welcome newcomers!!

Great job everyone! Let's keep this going.

Wishing everyone a safe and sober day. Much love to all.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Jezzi... you're absolutely right. My relapses always happened because of the "They get to drink but I can't and it sucks" attitude. Always feeling sorry for myself and left out. I have to get over that.

Like Dee said above, maybe once I start to actually believe that drinking just doesn't work for me, I will feel less sorry for myself and get off this crazy train once and for all.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Day 9 and trying to keep busy and suddenly hit with "What's the point" thoughts.
So I intend to follow your plan. Writing a list of stuff that I can deal with today the rest will have to wait. Not throwing alcohol into the mix it is much easier without. I have a meeting tonight, something to look forward to. So off my butt and get on.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Hi all can I join I'm on day 2! 🙂 Hope everyone is well x
Old 08-16-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sofedupofthis View Post
Good news!
I hear you choose to lose the booze!
No more morning spews,
Or "Where did I get that bruise?"
Just stand tall in your shoes,
Know you're not going to use.

I'm no Shakespeare but welcome!
Old 08-16-2017, 09:54 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Learning to Live

Originally Posted by Sofedupofthis View Post
Welcome aboard!
Old 08-16-2017, 10:03 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Day 1, again, can I join the August group?

I really don't want to drink anymore, and need a support system.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:07 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Welcome, Garfield71!

Day 4 for me. I had to get out of my apartment for a few hours this morning so I went and took a long walk at a nearby park. Felt very good to get some sunshine and fresh air. Still not sleeping great, but each morning I get to wake up and not worry about a hangover, which is wonderful.

Hang in there everyone, we got this!
Old 08-16-2017, 12:03 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Welcome Garfield, sweetpea and sofed, lots of support here.

Busy and stressful day today, but I am ok.
Not feeling any need to drink. I've gotten my head around the fact that drinking never made stress go away.
I do wish, however, that it was easier to find soft drinks that aren't sweet.

Kitten - I love your username.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:49 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

I need some accountability help. I hike with a friend every Wednesday early evening and for reasons that don't make sense to me, I often buy wine on the way home after hiking because I am feeling so good. I start the hike intending not to drink but two hours later, my intent is gone and I usually stop at this wonderful high end grocery story to buy wine, chips, cheese, wonderfully decadent bakery cookies. Honestly I need to stay out of this particular grocery store. I don't want to give up hiking - just the wine after hiking. So my plan is to post here when I get home tonight saying that I didn't buy wine and that I am not drinking today. Thanks
Old 08-16-2017, 01:00 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Hi August class of 2017, I am joining you today! I am at one week sober right now. We can do this, better together!
Old 08-16-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by areyoukittenme View Post
Welcome, Garfield71!

Day 4 for me. I had to get out of my apartment for a few hours this morning so I went and took a long walk at a nearby park. Felt very good to get some sunshine and fresh air. Still not sleeping great, but each morning I get to wake up and not worry about a hangover, which is wonderful.

Hang in there everyone, we got this!
Old 08-16-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lyddie View Post
I need some accountability help. I hike with a friend every Wednesday early evening and for reasons that don't make sense to me, I often buy wine on the way home after hiking because I am feeling so good. I start the hike intending not to drink but two hours later, my intent is gone and I usually stop at this wonderful high end grocery story to buy wine, chips, cheese, wonderfully decadent bakery cookies. Honestly I need to stay out of this particular grocery store. I don't want to give up hiking - just the wine after hiking. So my plan is to post here when I get home tonight saying that I didn't buy wine and that I am not drinking today. Thanks
You can do it lyddie, you'll be so proud of yourself.....
Old 08-16-2017, 01:57 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Good evening everyone! Welcome to our newbies, Garfield, sweetpeacan, sofedup and lili. Hope I didn't miss anyone, so good to see you all joining in!

dcchemist, I loved your little rhyme, look out shakespeare

areyoukittenme I live in the city but I am so lucky to have lots of lovely parks nearby. I love to go for walks there, it is so refreshing to be surrounded by nature and quiet when you are used to city life.

Lyddie good plan to post here after your hike, maybe your new habit after hiking could be doing that then a nice relaxing bath or something rewarding like that?

It's 9.45 pm here and it's like a winter's night. Raining, dark and cold. The shops in Scotland stop selling booze at 10 pm. If I was drinking I'd be looking at the clock, wondering if I better run to the corner shop before it closes in case I run out of wine. I am off for two days and that would have been a sure fire trigger to drink to 'reward' myself for a busy week at work. I am so happy not to have to do that. It actually makes me shudder to think about it. Pulling clothes on, already two thirds of the way through a bottle of wine and running to the shop in the pouring rain to get more.

Instead I have cosy jammies on, a nice cup of tea and a wee bit of chocolate. I can look forward to tomorrow and spending it with my grandson with not even a glimmer of a hangover. Happy days!

I hope everyone is having a good day, stay strong and safe classmates.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:30 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  
Meow

Hi all. Still here. Camping went as expected, which is probably why it went that way.

However, I did have an appointment at the VA and we talked some things over, and I have a better plan now than the infamous "don't drink", including a joining a veteran-led group that is non-AA in nature. They meet Thursdays after work, so that's good. Plus I learned some good things about Campral, which I took before but stopped because I was feeling so good at four months.

Welcome to our newcomers. Seeing myself first on that list of members reminds me that quitting quitting is not an option!
Old 08-16-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Welcome to all the newcomers and I'm glad you came right back PurpleCat!

Currently, I'm debating on going for a hike or to a meeting. I don't have time for both unfortunately. I'll prob do the hike though because it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow so I could do one or even two meetings tomorrow Now to find the motivation!

Stay sober everyone! It's always the best option!
Old 08-16-2017, 04:27 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Good morning Augusters. I'm feeling bright and happy today. My painting is almost finished. What a relief. I even cleaned out the junk room yesterday. Today is cleaning out my bedroom. It's great to have so much energy. I'm eating healthy as well. At least I don't have to worry anymore that this disease will kill me.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:45 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Sofedupofthis sweetpeacan Garfield and lilitheruffgem

Hope all is well with your son Kiki,

Have you tried sparkling water TeaorCoffee? There's also a bitter soft drink
called Chinotto - it's Italian.

I like tonic water on its own (if you drank Gin - that may not be a good idea) and Lemon Lime and Bitters too - but you have to be careful in case the makers use alcohol in the bitters.

Schweppes make a good one.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 08-16-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:46 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  
Administrator

You sound really good Sweetichick

D