Notices

Class of May 2017 Support Thread Part Three

Old 04-16-2018, 12:27 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Keep Going

I love the two ladies, and what they say about the key to not bingeing is not responding to the urges, rather than spending years in therapy dealing with any psychological damage, etc. It makes sense that eventually the urge will wither up and die.

I am onto Episode 4, so I've almost caught up. The one that talks about urges as neurological junk ~ like "zombie neurons" that work for no apparent reason. So it does not matter if you have love or you have no love, if you didn't have the urge, you wouldn't binge. Makes sense to me.

This approach didn't work for the alcohol, maybe because I was so very very ill at the end, but it just might now the brain fog is better.

Kevin McCauley in Pleasure Unwoven was talking about this with the alcohol, that the urges are more a matter of survival, than a simple craving. Once the dopamine circuit goes faulty, the addict believes totally that the only thing that will save his life in the next 15 minutes is alcohol, not food shelter sex etc. Amazing. Rats are prepared to give up their lives for cocaine.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:15 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Quick check in, had a great weekend, got a lot done around the house, had our grand daughter, (who loves to help her Grandpa) and went through and did my12 steps with my sponsor. I can’t explain it but I feel different after going through the step, still have a list of people I have to make amends to, and who knows when I get that going I’ll feel even better.
It’s funny (at least to me) yesterday me and our VP we’re going over some issues we’re haveing, he paused looked at me and said, Mike how the hell are you doing all this sober. All I could do was smile.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:36 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rainman1 View Post
Quick check in, had a great weekend, got a lot done around the house, had our grand daughter, (who loves to help her Grandpa) and went through and did my12 steps with my sponsor. I can’t explain it but I feel different after going through the step, still have a list of people I have to make amends to, and who knows when I get that going I’ll feel even better.
It’s funny (at least to me) yesterday me and our VP we’re going over some issues we’re haveing, he paused looked at me and said, Mike how the hell are you doing all this sober. All I could do was smile.
What a wonderful compliment to get from your VP- I would be smiling too.
You're doing great RM- really great. I am so happy for you...
Old 04-17-2018, 06:39 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WeaverBird View Post
I love the two ladies, and what they say about the key to not bingeing is not responding to the urges, rather than spending years in therapy dealing with any psychological damage, etc. It makes sense that eventually the urge will wither up and die.

I am onto Episode 4, so I've almost caught up. The one that talks about urges as neurological junk ~ like "zombie neurons" that work for no apparent reason. So it does not matter if you have love or you have no love, if you didn't have the urge, you wouldn't binge. Makes sense to me.

This approach didn't work for the alcohol, maybe because I was so very very ill at the end, but it just might now the brain fog is better.

Kevin McCauley in Pleasure Unwoven was talking about this with the alcohol, that the urges are more a matter of survival, than a simple craving. Once the dopamine circuit goes faulty, the addict believes totally that the only thing that will save his life in the next 15 minutes is alcohol, not food shelter sex etc. Amazing. Rats are prepared to give up their lives for cocaine.

I am SO happy the podcast resonates with you as well!
I totally believe so much of addiction whether it's alcohol or food is a brain issue. It really takes a lot of pressure off the idea that we are screwed up. I mean sure, we all have work to do (even sober people do) so why make this more difficult by thinking that we need to "fix ourselves" before we can stop our addictions? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Off to paint the patio- it's freakin' COLD outside today (41 degrees/ or 5 celcius) but it's not stopping me! The I am volunteering at my son's school for an hour. Happy Tuesday everyone!
Old 04-18-2018, 11:52 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Just checking in.

Off to Coachella tomorrow. The Coachella Party House has been transformed to the Coachella Mellow Parents and Sober Mindful Man House. Two of the other couples have kids less than two. BEAUTIFUL GORGEOUS KIDS that just LOVE their favorite gay uncle. And I them.
Someone needs to teach them how fabulous they are. They will be staying with their respective Grandmas while the adults get their music on.

Gone are the 3 B breakfasts (Bloody Marys, Bacon and Blow), I will be having my smoothie and having three days of dancing and music. Found a sober group that has meetings at the festival, I haven't been to a meeting in months but will try and make at least one. There is something about hearing the Serenity Prayer with a big bass drop in the background that I just need to experience.

I set my date to take the California Real Estate Licensing Exam as May 9. Three weeks from today. And what else is significant about that date?

It's my year sobriety.

Getting very terrified about money running out and the new completely different career. I had a breakthrough today though. It's OK to be terrified. I've spent the last year not just getting sober, but completely transforming my life. My body is unrecognizable. My spiritual state is on another plane entirely. And I've been studying since the first of November to become the best real estate agent I can, and to stop living on the edge of poverty (well, not really, but poverty in Southern California is less than $100K a year).

I love all of you and all of your posts, and will be making an effort to do some meditation this weekend. I also love the idea of pulling out the negative energy and burning it in a violet flame. Reminds me that I need to write out the most raw and scathing of my resentments, and then burn the paper.

Keep it up! We're SO CLOSE!
Old 04-19-2018, 12:23 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a good time MM

D
Old 04-19-2018, 01:59 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Just checking in.

Off to Coachella tomorrow. The Coachella Party House has been transformed to the Coachella Mellow Parents and Sober Mindful Man House. Two of the other couples have kids less than two. BEAUTIFUL GORGEOUS KIDS that just LOVE their favorite gay uncle. And I them.
Someone needs to teach them how fabulous they are. They will be staying with their respective Grandmas while the adults get their music on.

Gone are the 3 B breakfasts (Bloody Marys, Bacon and Blow), I will be having my smoothie and having three days of dancing and music. Found a sober group that has meetings at the festival, I haven't been to a meeting in months but will try and make at least one. There is something about hearing the Serenity Prayer with a big bass drop in the background that I just need to experience.

I set my date to take the California Real Estate Licensing Exam as May 9. Three weeks from today. And what else is significant about that date?

It's my year sobriety.

Getting very terrified about money running out and the new completely different career. I had a breakthrough today though. It's OK to be terrified. I've spent the last year not just getting sober, but completely transforming my life. My body is unrecognizable. My spiritual state is on another plane entirely. And I've been studying since the first of November to become the best real estate agent I can, and to stop living on the edge of poverty (well, not really, but poverty in Southern California is less than $100K a year).

I love all of you and all of your posts, and will be making an effort to do some meditation this weekend. I also love the idea of pulling out the negative energy and burning it in a violet flame. Reminds me that I need to write out the most raw and scathing of my resentments, and then burn the paper.

Well hi Mindful Man!! I love your energy in this post and how exciting to be going to Coachella and to be doing it with 100% presence and awareness! I have yet to experience a sober concert and I can't wait to hear about the time you have. That's really great that you found a meeting to go to while you are there as well.

Enjoy spending time with your friends and their little ones- how lovely to have such a connection with your friend's children.

You sound so proud of yourself for all that you have accomplished- what an amazing feeling that is and on top of being sober to be going into a new career is a huge adjustment but sounds extremely exciting. I will be sending you loads of good vibes on the 9th!! I am sure all of that studying will pay off. And I love what you said about accepting the feeling around being terrified. I think this is a similar experience to what I had last month. I have learned that resistance is the most destructive energy (and for me causes fear and anger.) So acceptance is a HUGE step in a positive direction as far as I am concerned. And you will work it out, no matter what happens financially in the in-between time. You are living proof that you can change anything and everything you want in your life. You really do ROCK my friend!!

Lots and lots of love to you...
Old 04-22-2018, 03:58 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Just checking in.

It's my year sobriety.

Good Job Mindful
Old 04-22-2018, 05:48 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Happy Sober Sunday May flowers,
I just need to vent and get some of this off my chest. Don't get me wrong I'm doing pretty darn good.
Work has been crazy/ stressful or whatever you want to call it. I like my job and what I do, and I think I do a pretty good job. I take my job seriously and do whatever it takes. One of my problems is me, I don't have a college education, I've gone through the school of hard knocks which in turn mean I work off the seat of my ass as they say, i suck at written communication, I would much rather pick up the phone and talk to you which has bitten me a few times. I have a lot going on, (I PM all the Hospitality projects) I currently have 6 hotels going, some being in the middle of install , other still being manufactured at the shop and I've got at least that many coming up .It's crazy trying to keep up with all of this and doing my court stuff along with my family. Did you notice the order I put this in Work, court, family.
Here's the part that's killing me, My wife is having eye surgery on Tuesday May 1st, Nothing to serious ,it's a day surgery but recovery could be 1-3 weeks, I think the biggest issue is she may experience double vision for a bit, I think the longevity of the recovery is for her not to strain her eyes.
I let Linda know prior to when we knew the surgery date that I had to travel 4/29-5/3. Murphy's law, surgery was set for May 1st. (by the way I already had my airfare booked). I was able to juggle things around a bit but I have to catch a flight out at 7:30 pm on the 1st and wont be back until late Sat night or possibly Sunday. My Daughter took off work and will be here the 1st and 2nd and if Linda still needs help we have a good neighbor or she could go to the kids house for a couple days. I know your thinking what's the problem, sounds like everything is worked out. Well the problem is Me, Linda's made the comment this time and before "it's never a good time for you" and she's right, I almost always put work first, It's not intentional, it's just happens that way. It's just killing me that I'm not going to be here to take care of her the first couple days.
The other part is Linda and the kids were planning on a surprise camping trip the weekend of May 5th to celebrate my 1 year sobriety, I'll be working..
May 24 we'll be married 33 years, and the cool part is we still like each other, we enjoy each others company, heck when I took her on a business trip (which we worked our asses off) we ha a blast. We don't fight, we don't argue, we understand each other. I know she understand I have to work but deep down I know it hurts her that I wont be here and it's killing me that I won't be here.
As I said at first I'm good, I just wanted to get this off my chest. Thanks for listening.
I love you guys

Mike
Old 04-22-2018, 07:20 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Hey Mike, I guess there's not much you can do to get out of this trip round our year anniversary is there? So no need to guilt yourself.

But you can make a plan to reduce the impact your work has on the family in the future, no? Any effort in that area is going to make you look good.

And all that court-ordered stuff that's so time consuming will come to an end too. You just have to plod on for a while.

Love you my sober twin
Old 04-22-2018, 07:29 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Keep Going

I'm not looking forward to my one year sober. I thought I'd be over the moon. I can still remember how very far away it used to be.
I wan A Year and A Day already.

I am finding it hard to take full responsibly for myself. I know it is childish but there's so much fear bumping around. And I am in a time when I just simply cannot tolerate people. I am finding everyone I meet ugly and grumpy and petty and lacking gratitude and spiritually dead, and and and, all the things I was when I was drunk.

I keep thinking how come that banana person didn't burn their pathetic life to the ground, multiple times, like I did?

Ah well .... onwards.

MM, I'd like to hear the serenity prayer with a bass drop. I don't even know what that is. I was so drunk I'd need another life to catch up.

Love you all
Old 04-22-2018, 06:10 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

I'm not looking forward to my one year sober. I thought I'd be over the moon. I can still remember how very far away it used to be.
I wan A Year and A Day already.

I am finding it hard to take full responsibly for myself. I know it is childish but there's so much fear bumping around. And I am in a time when I just simply cannot tolerate people. I am finding everyone I meet ugly and grumpy and petty and lacking gratitude and spiritually dead, and and and, all the things I was when I was drunk.

I keep thinking how come that banana person didn't burn their pathetic life to the ground, multiple times, like I did?

Ah well .... onwards.

MM, I'd like to hear the serenity prayer with a bass drop. I don't even know what that is. I was so drunk I'd need another life to catch up.

Love you all
I'm looking forward to that 1 year mark, I know staying sober is just 1 day at a time, but knowing that I stay sober a whole year means a lot. In the beginning I didn't think I could make it a week, then I did, No way could I make it a month, then I did and so on. And I really should change I to we stayed sober. 1 thing I do hate is WE have to wait a whole year before we can get another chip. :-)

Mike
Old 04-24-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Originally Posted by Rainman1 View Post
I'm looking forward to that 1 year mark, I know staying sober is just 1 day at a time, but knowing that I stay sober a whole year means a lot. In the beginning I didn't think I could make it a week, then I did, No way could I make it a month, then I did and so on. And I really should change I to we stayed sober. 1 thing I do hate is WE have to wait a whole year before we can get another chip. :-)
Mike
Dear Mike we haven't got the first one yet! I wish it was made out of platinum, or titanium, it's so special!

I had an amazing meet up with our pastor and came away feeling like my whole life was sorted. Then I had a massive row with someone near and dear to me in public. Now I feel lower than a lizard's belly or something low anyway. How can it switch just like that?

Love to you and anyone else who needs it
Old 04-24-2018, 04:49 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad to read of your upcoming milestones guys

I'm sorry for the various troubles you guys are going through but I really think that dealing with them sober is the way to go

D
Old 04-25-2018, 12:48 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Thanks D. I know it’s taken almost a year but my brain is finally clearing and it is worth it. Love everyone
Old 04-25-2018, 12:05 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

I want to respond to you Mike and Weev but I am so braindead from lack of sleep that I am afraid it wouldn't make much sense.
I will write something out tomorrow- just wanted you both to know I am thinking of you.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:59 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Good evening all,
We're coming up on a year sober, wow who could of believed it, it's kinda funny, tonight I was saying a prayer and I suddenly realized how much my prayers have changed, yes I still ask God to help keep me sober but my prayers are more about helping me to become a better person, about helping other others , about living life..I am a truely blessed individual, I am a great full alcoholic
Mike
Old 04-27-2018, 01:43 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Yes, it's amazing how that attitude changes behind the scenes without you realising, and you wake up one day, and you are thinking of others, and its all about relationships, and you want to be of service.. that's a miracle.

I did some volunteering with some no-hopers like me yesterday and someone said you're a real addition to this group and I was so blown away because believe me I've made it my life's work up until now to be a Liability in any group.

I am going on a walk with A Man in a little while
Old 04-27-2018, 01:10 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Hey all!

Just checking in.

Ended up not going to a meeting at Coachella. The early meetings were at noon and I was staying with people without a car...and that's REALLY early to get there. Once there, it would have been really hard to break away and take over an hour for a meeting...too much music going on!

Had a big craving which I managed. Not surprising, as Coachella is a hugely risky situation for me, but I got through it with only one time where I really had to work through a craving. I expanded on it in the Newcomers thread, "First craving in 6 months."

Mike, sounds like you need to get some more work-life balance. Not in time for your soberversary and your wife's surgery, but as an ongoing goal. Not being able to say you can't go on a business trip because your wife is having surgery and will need aftercare should be a sign that it might not be a bad idea to shift some priorities. I posted on another thread..."I wish I'd spent more time in the office" says nobody's tombstone, anywhere. For men, by far their most common regret at the end of their lives is that they spent far too much time working and worrying about money than spending time and sharing things with loved ones.

Tomorrow is my review for my state licensing exam. 8-5 Saturday and Sunday. Won't be doing much else this weekend!

Bass drops at 1:04 and 2:33.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPBQk2M_ukY

There is a type of EDM (Electronic Dance Music) called dubstep, which features extreme bass drops.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:57 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Yes, it's amazing how that attitude changes behind the scenes without you realising, and you wake up one day, and you are thinking of others, and its all about relationships, and you want to be of service.. that's a miracle.

I did some volunteering with some no-hopers like me yesterday and someone said you're a real addition to this group and I was so blown away because believe me I've made it my life's work up until now to be a Liability in any group.

I am going on a walk with A Man in a little while
How was your walk with "A Man" Weev?? I hope it was pleasant.

How nice of you to volunteer, especially with so much going on in your life right now. Of course you are an addition to any group- I'm sorry you can't see your true value and worth! You are such a great friend and support to us all- time to believe in yourself a well.

I miss checking in here- I promise to do so more often. It seems I've gotten sucked in the 24 hour thread!! I also have been on FB more than I'd like to admit. Time to delete from my phone again and leave it alone for a week. I get so wrapped up in my groups over there...

Have a great Monday!