Notices

Class of August 2017 Part One

Old 08-12-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Welcome Vman, Ekohe, Emme and Caramel.
August seems to be a good time to do this.
Vman, there's a few of us from October here.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:49 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Evening everyone. Scooterboo, thank you for dropping in and sharing with us. It's amazing to me that three years ago you were in the class of August just like we are and are now three years sober! That is so encouraging. Thanks for the tips and advice.

Welcome ChickChick, Vman, Ekohe, Emme and Caramel, great to have you with us. Please stick around and hang in there in the early days, it's so worth it. You too Debby, back to day 1 today but tomorrow will be 2 and on it goes.

I've had a good day today, was way too tired to go meteor watching but it's not cloudy and I might have a look before bed. I'd love to see some!

I hope everyone is having a safe and sober Saturday. We can do this, just look at scooterboo!

Old 08-12-2017, 02:49 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Ditto! Welcome to the team! Let's do this thing.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.

I had a busy Saturday so couldn't post till now. It's another long night for me.

I had a few moments of weakness in the evening but managed to plow through. It's not easy at all. I just know that I honestly have nothing good to gain from drinking. Nothing at all. However, neither do I feel upbeat and psyched like I did back in March. To be honest, part of me expects me to drink again even though I don't want to... I haven't yet wrapped my head around my decision, which is so weird.

So Sunday is day 3. I can confidently say that I've maneuvered day 2 pretty OK. If I can get through Sunday successfully, I think that'll make it easier for this to stick. It's harder for me to drink during the week (less time, more stress attached to it, etc) so I'm more likely to stay on the sober bus. And I hope that, after getting a few good sober days under my belt, I may not want to easily give those up.

Fingers crossed.

Goodnight, everyone.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Hi Lava,

Do you have a plan of things to do to keep you busy during the evenings?
Even if it is coming on SR to post, it might help.
Glad you got through today. We'll see you tomorrow. you can do this.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:13 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teaorcoffee View Post
Hi Lava,

Do you have a plan of things to do to keep you busy during the evenings?
Even if it is coming on SR to post, it might help.
Glad you got through today. We'll see you tomorrow. you can do this.
No plan whatsoever. The truth is, which may sound laughable, I feel like I'm too busy to think up a plan. I haven't yet prioritized my sobriety, honestly. I have a family that keeps me busy, a lot of work related stress and we are going on vacation in less than 3 weeks, which has me anxious. I have to apply for my visa, get my leave approved, do a handover report, finish ALL of my immediate assignments, get my toddler ready for the journey and being away from his comfort zone for a month, and all this while staying away from alcohol. I don't want to think right now. I just need to get through these 3 weeks and then I'll have a bit of time to think.

I'm staying close to SR, though. Even when I'm not reading and posting, I'm thinking of all of you and what I've read here previously and it's helping so much. I know there's a small heaven on the other side of alcoholism so I'm holding onto that dream. That's what is keeping me going at the moment.

Thanks, ToC!
Old 08-12-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Vman Ekohe Emme Chickchick and DebbyJay

Best wishes for your mum and your family Chickchick.

Thanks for posting Scooter Boo and many congratulations on your milestone

Doesn't sound laughable Lava but sounds dangerous to me. If you have no strategy for dealing with wanting to drink, there's a great risk you'll be blindsided, especially on a vacation.

A lot of people are reluctant to make a plan - it makes this recovery forever thing real, or more real, and that spooks people sometimes.

Making a plan is really not that time intensive. There's no 5000 word essay to write

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html
Old 08-12-2017, 04:21 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

I had planned on going camping next weekend but now am afraid to, afraid that I will drink.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Our class is growing!

Hey everyone ~ early night for me but that's a good thing. It's nice to have a peaceful, drama-free Saturday evening without thinking that I'm "missing something" if I don't go out....yeah, missing a bunch of BS, that's about it!

Going to make some tea and relax.....another early work day tomorrow.....no complaints though (at least I'll try )

Thanks everyone for being here.....Day 7 almost complete!
Old 08-12-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Doesn't sound laughable Lava but sounds dangerous to me. If you have no strategy for dealing with wanting to drink, there's a great risk you'll be blindsided, especially on a vacation.

A lot of people are reluctant to make a plan - it makes this recovery forever thing real, or more real, and that spooks people sometimes.
You are possibly right about the reluctance on my part, Dee. I've also been thinking that it could be the reason I'm not actively addressing the issue of having alcohol in the house. I haven't even broached the subject with my husband. I think I'm secretly (in some dark part of my mind) glad to have it in the house just in case I badly need it. To do away with it makes it all so final. I know, I'm holding on to it, even as I try to quit. So what does that say about me?

I know it sounds discouraging but this is, honestly, where I am at right now. I'm willing to quit; I want to quit, but there's still a bit of self sabotage in there.

I'll continue reading and posting. Oh, and I've decided to go back to AA so I'm doing that next week. It's been months. And I will read all literature available to me during my vacay.

OK. Good night everybody.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:21 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

How is everyone doing? I have had a busy 2 days! My oldest son leaves for college next Saturday so my emotions are ALL over the place. I had several drinking thoughts today but brushed them aside because I'm tired of wasting my life doing something that will just kill me & make me hate myself.

Anyway...just wanted to check in and say hello!

Day 5.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  
Administrator

I stayed away from events like that for a while DebbyJay - especially camping where there's really no escape.

Thats not saying you have to sit at home and mope - there's a lot of things to do that don't have to involve alcohol - I worked my way up to being around drinkers again. I call it building sober muscles.

I missed a few parties etc but I go to a lot more now and I stay sober

D
Old 08-12-2017, 06:31 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Class ROSTER! :-)

Hi all! I am feeling restless so I decided to type a list of all the people who have joined the August 2017 Class so far! There are lots of us!!!

PurpleCat
Forwards
Sober81
Lilymaz
teaorcoffee
Sath79
ReadyAtLast
Erratic
Doodles84
Michelle009
Eslsp
Surrender2win
determined99
fgo
Legolady
Awkwardkitty
Plenny
MNVikes4life
Jezzi
Flinders39
StartingOverNW
Islingtonite
Thomas59
Georgie123
DeniseLarkin
Evienne
LukeStanley
1StepUp
ghostgirl
courtneylove140
CaptainHaddock
Linners820
Poppy79
CJHolden
Susiegirl
Debbyjay
MovingForward1
Nic233
SoberNeveah
Atwitsend123
Pinky1
decchemist
snufkin
Purplrks3647
KIKI0615
Kgirl41
Thunderskies
Alock
DarkestHour
Horn95
LunaBlue
bblackbirdflyy
sweenzo
eremite
Lava256
Candie
BiskyRizness
Sunny06
GreatEscapade25
bllit
Jforce58
ChickChick
theVman31
Ekohe
emme99
Caramel

*LET ME KNOW IF I FORGOT ANYONE! I am sure we will have more people join before the month is over.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:05 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, Welcome to all the new members, we have a large class. today is day 12 for me doing well. I am making it day by day. everyone stay strong,
Old 08-12-2017, 08:09 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Congrats on 12 days Denise! How do you feel?
Old 08-12-2017, 08:32 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  
Administrator

For those who are new, we close thread 'parts' at about 500 posts to keep things from getting unwieldy.

The thread continues on tho - please join us here for part 2:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-two.html