Notices

Class of July 2017 Part 3

Old 08-02-2017, 11:33 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  
8DC

Hello! I started my Sobriety on 26th July so I am now on Day 8 and feel fantastic! The longest I have managed before is Day 11 but I am feeling so positive about exceeding that this time xx
Old 08-02-2017, 11:45 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 8DC View Post
Hello! I started my Sobriety on 26th July so I am now on Day 8 and feel fantastic! The longest I have managed before is Day 11 but I am feeling so positive about exceeding that this time xx
Welcome 8DC! Congrats on your 8 days!! This is an amazing supportive group! Glad to have you on board!
Old 08-02-2017, 12:25 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

D32 - Evening classmates.

Still going strong into our second month. Welcome to 8DC. Get ready to smash straight past 11 days, this is the place to be!

Starting to feel a bit brighter and lighter this week. The first few weeks are a bit like being stuck in a dark tunnel with no sign of light in any direction. Stumbling ahead one step at a time. Now into week 5, I am still in the tunnel but there is a hint of light ahead.

Well done to all the others who are hitting the month mark. Keep racking those days up everyone!
Old 08-02-2017, 03:44 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

I'm glad today is over. Had a strong AV in my ear for most of he day, not even sure why. I've been in a teasy mood all day and I've been unable to concentrate on anything. I can't wait to get to month 2 it'll only be the 3rd time I've made it past the 1st month.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:02 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Welcome 8DC. It's a very positive group here with a lot of people, all very friendly. There's a wide range of sober days in the group, and I'm pretty sure there's at least one or two people who would also be about 8 days sober.

Post about your successes, post when you're tempted to drink, and especially come back and post to start again if you have a weaker moment. You'll blaze right past 11 days in no time. Good luck!
Old 08-02-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome 8DC

Sean, congrats on 28 days (also well doien to hns runestone ad anyone else hittign a milestone today)

Milestones do seem to sometimes make people wobble a little...

I think it might be because it's not quite long enough to see all the benefits of recovery but long enough for us to forget the worst excesses of our drinking.

I confused abstinence for control a few times - not the same thing

D
Old 08-02-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Sorry this will be long, but I needed to vent tonight. Hope you don't mind "listening" Ugh, Haven't really struggled with my AV at all, but today it showed up and being very difficult! I am feeling a HUGE craving to drink tonight. I won't . . . I know the feeling will pass, but it's a struggle I haven't experienced yet. Today is day 22. I promised my therapist and husband I would go a full month at a minimum and I intend to see it through. I want to prove I can stand by my word. Since I know how supportive this group has been, I wanted to be honest about my plans. I know some of you will probably think this is a bad idea, but . . . I want to see how I do when we go camping in two weeks and see if I can be a "normal drinker" with very specific amounts of alcohol available to me and no real chance of going overboard. My husband is supportive and I know my therapist will be too, she really will. I got into some very bad habits before and wasn't really trying to stop to be honest. The antabuse has been amazingly helpful. My plan is to see how I do for two weeks and then will most likely get back on the disulfuram for a couple of more months at least and see how I do with that. I am very self aware and while I wasn't even close to "rock bottom" before, I knew/know I had to do things very differently and make some serious changes. I already have gone longer without anything than I have in 5-6 years so making big strides already in the right direction. I feel so much better mentally and physically and don't want to go back to how I felt before. Anyways, thanks for listening. Going to go have some ice cream and see if my AV will shut up! Good night all!
Old 08-02-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi wrigley

In all honesty I think if you could be a normal drinker you would have been by now. Its great that you've made it 22 days but like I said before abstinence is not control.

I fear if you drink again, you'll find yourself back at square one, and probably sooner than later.

This was you at the start of the month.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post6530139

I'm not trying to embarrass or shame you - just don't forget bout the things that bought you here.

I know not drinking sucks, and I know changing our life for ever is scary and I know you'd love to forget about recovery and just be a normal drinker - but fair or not, thats just not the reality for some of us.

D
Old 08-02-2017, 07:26 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Three weeks down! Not as far as I've made it in the past, but it feels different/better this time. (Maybe it's the summer and not the holidays!)

I can say that last time, and THIS time, is SR that's helped me immensely. So, thanks to you all! And, as I keep saying:

Hang in there! We can do this!
Old 08-02-2017, 07:47 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats fishoutawatta

D
Old 08-02-2017, 07:49 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

I wouldn't be able to plan my demise to start in two weeks. Just me. I wish you the best Wrigley and hope you think about reconsidering. It will probably be harder to recommit to sobriety after drinking again.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:14 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

I also hope you'll reconsider, Wrigley. I posted this the other day, but maybe it's worth posting again. I suppose it can't hurt: Back in May I had gone almost three weeks without drinking, and I decided that at one month I would allow myself to drink for a weekend. Within a day or two, I had bought a bottle of whiskey and was drinking daily again, and didn't stop until almost three weeks ago. Giving myself that permission caused me to totally cave.

That was me, not you, but I just wanted to share my experience. All the best to you.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:16 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Hello from a July 2013 classmate.!

I just stopped by to read some posts, because this time 4 years ago, I was attempting for the very first time to get sober. It took me a few attempts to get my toolbox and attitude right, but I now have 2 years and 4 months sober right now. Something I never, ever thought was possible, nor did I ever think I could "unlock" the mysterious code of sobriety that others seemed to have.

Wrigley, I totally relate and understand your thoughts. And thank you for your honesty in sharing. I think, if you have a burning desire to experiment with alcohol again, it won't go away unless you find a way to totally take drinking off the table. And that, for me, did take a few goes at sobriety. I moved house about 3 months into sobriety, and thought yeah, I'm on holidays, a glass of champagne won't hurt. And it didn't. I didn't want any more to drink, just that one glass. A week later, a bottle, nothing bad happened. A weekend or so later I nearly killed myself. It came hard and from nowhere. Long story short, I found I could get months and months of sobriety under my belt, then think (or hope) I could drink safely. I highly recommend experimenting if you aren't ready to get sober. But be warned, with it comes the risk of more heartache and shame and a precarious dance with the devil - I nearly took my life on a bender, yet I would never have considered myself depressed or at Rock bottom when not drinking. I had a highly paid job in the corporate world, was well respected, and it was important for me to continue to use that persona to identify with. Because the truth behind my expensive bottles of wine, was my life was in the hands of alcohol, my next drink I "deserved" after a long day.

Wrigley, I say this honestly, experiment if you have to. But truly and honestly ask yourself, if you are on Antabuse now, doesn't that say you have already lost control? Why do you need to experiment?

A person does not just wake up and decide to be a marathon runner and they are one 22 days later. It takes training, heartache, patience, knowing themselves and their limits and all the other things they need to stick to their goal and train their body and mind to compete in a marathon. Similarly, It would be impossible to magically unlock the key to sobriety after 22 days, therefore, is it sobriety you want, or experimenting with drinking? The two cannot exist together, I wish I could tell you they can, but they can't, Wrigley.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:33 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Wrigley - I hope you change your mind too. You are doing so well and think about the days after you used to drink alcohol. The tiredness for me was awful and it lasted all day. You don't need to drink it. Smash that goal of 30 days and prove it to yourself. You CAN do it X

Its only Day 12 for me - I feel more grown up for not drinking. I'm being more mature because I'm not getting drunk and acting stupid. There is no guilt or shame when I wake up in the morning and I love saying I haven't drunk for nearly 2 weeks. My record is 3 weeks a few months ago but this time sobriety is for life.

Happy sober Thursday all X
Old 08-03-2017, 01:39 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

So happy to see that people are doing great! I'm so proud of you!

I've finally overcome my writer's block. The past two days I've changed a few things and I have started writing on some new chapters. Feels good. And somehow my nightmares have stopped. I still have very vivid dreams, but they're just quirky, not scary. Today will be a good day, because I said so!

Wish you all a good night, afternoon and morning!
Old 08-03-2017, 01:55 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Going to bed late and sober Into Day 26 woo hoo
Old 08-03-2017, 05:57 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Hi guys.

Doing better today, I had a really calming dream last night that i was hand gliding over the ocean and it was so nice, even when I landed in the sea I could go back up in the sky and float around again so it must've been some kind of magical hand glider. I've never done hand gliding but I imagine the real thing is a lot more terrifying haha. It must be to do with my upcoming skydive. Today I've been to the gym and I've just got back from lunch. My friend has just had a baby so me and my other friend may pop over to meet her this afternoon.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Welcome 8DC- this is an awesome group of people! So happy to have you with us
Wrigley- I can relate to your wanting to try a weekend of controlled drinking so much. I haven't posted about this in a long time, but when I introduced myself to you all, I mentioned that I previously had 3.5 years sober. I decided (on our honeymoon) that a glass of champagne wouldn't hurt. Just like Crossaint's experience, it didn't hurt. In fact we went on that evening to enjoy some lovely martinis together. I felt like I finally got this controlled drinking thing down. A few days later I decided to buy a bottle of wine and had 2 glasses with dinner. No more craving that day or for the next week. I decided I would like a few beers so I went out and bought a 6 pack- I drank 2 and didn't want anymore! I thought to myself "Holy crap, I'm cured! I can drink alcohol like a normal person!". A few days later I bought another bottle of wine and finished it. I drove my car back to the store (over limit) because I wanted more. I bought a 6 pack of beer and finished it- woke up hungover so decided to take a shot and try the hair of the dog trick. It worked for that morning but I continuously drank every single day for the next year. For me anyway, my experience and most frustrating part of alcohol is that it's UNPREDICTABLE! Damn it! One day I can have 2 beers like it's no big deal. The next day I'm pawning things to make sure I have enough money to get wasted Anyway, that's my experience with trying weekends of controlled drinking. It took me a long time to make it here with 32 days now (again). I totally understand though, and love the fact that you are being so open and honest, thank you! Afterall, tomorrow I could very well be considering doing the same and I'd want you guys to share your experiences with me.

SF- I love reading about your dreams. Interestingly I also had an ocean dream last night! It was so intense and vivid that I felt compelled to journal the dream as soon as I woke up so I wouldn't forget it. In my dream there were hundreds of Orcas swimming in the waves of the ocean and I was excited to dive in and swim with them. In my dream there were also beer tents set up on the beach and I was feeling really tempted to sneak away and drink one. I didn't end up drinking in my dream.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the good wishes on that deposition. So glad to have that over with. I've never had to do anything like that so it was scary, but it's over and done now. 32 days today!
Old 08-03-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

I feel like shouting at the ex husband for not being more helpful in trying to resolve the relationship between me & my daughter. He says she doesn't want to see me (she is11) however I feel like asking him who is the adult there - who is dictating to who? Surely with a little more persuasion from him this can be resolved - as you can tell I'm a little upset at the moment X
Old 08-03-2017, 09:59 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your words. I am sincerely taking everything to heart. I will take some time to think really hard about all of this and I appreciate everything you are saying. I hope I can still be a part of this group no matter what I decide. I appreciate you all so much. Aghhhh, why does this have to be so hard!!