Notices

Class of July 2017 Part 3

Old 08-09-2017, 03:38 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Wrigley, in all honesty it got way easier for me when I drew a line in the sand and committed to no more drinking no matter what.
So glad you're back with us Wrigley. Lesson learned, and right back on track. Dee's advice is spot on. This is exactly why I know it's going to stick for me this time. No more entertaining any notions that I can drink in moderation, or at some point in the future. Feels strangely liberating. There's nothing to fight, and no negotiating with my AV.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:33 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Welcome back Wrigley.

I've found I like to put ice in all my drinks, I don't know why but I enjoy them more. I sit drinking an ice cold juice and I think to myself "this is so much more enjoyable than alcohol".

I'm going to visit my best friends new born today, I saw her once but she was sleeping and looked like a kiwi. I've eaten a lot of crap the past few days and I'm really feeling the effects of it, I feel super tired from it but I'm going back to normal eating today. Tomorrrow I'm off to London to watch my team open up the new Premier League season which should be great. There's a big music festival down here this weekend too and I kind of want to go on the Saturday and Sunday but I'm not sure if I'm ready yet, I haven't got a ticket but you can buy them on the gate apparently so I'll see how I feel on Saturday evening. I'm sure it'll be fine sober anyway but it'd be my fist big sober outing in my new sober life.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  

D39

Hello classmates.

Welcome back to loulou and Wrigley. Sorry to read about the relapse Wrigley but it sounds as though you learnt plenty from the experience and you are back on track.

Not really much to say today. Moods are still all over the place. My brain seems to be struggling with the reality of never getting its fix again but I suppose it will need time to adjust. Luckily the fear of going back seems to still be outweighing everything, which is useful.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Welcome back Wrigley! Like Rubaduck said, there's quite a few of us who decided to do exactly what you did, but the fact is that you had 25 days and went out for 3 and now you're back. I hope today is day 1 for you and you can take it as a lesson learned and not beat yourself up.

Jenuk- you are kicking butt! I'm sorry your moods have been all over the place.. I sure can relate to that. What I've found though is that the more I just allow myself to feel whatever it is in the moment- anger, depression, happiness, whatever, it seems to pass easier. In this past month that has been a big practice of mine, to just allow whatever it is I'm feeling to be and not try to fight it (or stuff it or dull it down with substances). You're doing so awesome.

SF- you're comment of "she looked like a kiwi" literally made me laugh out loud. Having a 9 mo. old baby, it's so true- when they are newborn they look so funny! I hope you have a nice visit.

CP- that's really good advice about when you just make the clear decision that you no longer drink there is nothing more to fight against. I'm really taking that to heart- I've never thought about it the way that you put it, thank you.

Sorry for everyone I missed- I can't seem to remember who posted what from the previous page. Today is 4 for me. I'm not going to lie- last night was difficult for about 20 mins. With my kids being in football/cheer every evening until 7:30-8pm and my husband coaching, it leaves me with the baby alone at the house until they get home. Last night I focused on picking up the house and cooking a nice dinner for them to come home to, but it really made me realize that I need a plan M-F while they're gone in the evenings now. Boredom is a huge trigger for me.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:57 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  

I survived the get together with my old friends. It was fantastic to see everyone. No one there was an alcoholic. Strange that I thought I drank like everyone else. Probably another av trick. A couple of things that helped:
Asking for advice here. This gave me the awareness of the importance of my sobriety.
Telling my good friend that has been in town that I have stopped drinking before the get together. This set the stage.
Once it became clear that I wasnt drinking when the first rounds came and people started asking me about it it would have been very difficult to do a u turn and say "Well ok..".

So yeah, I came away with the knowledge that the first drink is the one I have to avoid at all costs. The second through twenty I wont have any control.

Thanks everyone! I'm not going to drink today.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Well done Runestone!
Old 08-09-2017, 11:02 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Day 11 and starting to feel clean

Well-played RuneStone

Had a check and got some meds for my breathing anxiety (no obvious lung damage or congestion + blood oxygen fine + throat infection cleared up)

I'm not sure but I think the breathing problems caused the anxiety (rather than the other way round)

The fight-flight response is triggered by signals to the hypothalamus and the brain stem (primitive parts brain that we have little control over)

I think my last crazy drinking binge did some rewiring fight-flight response (rather than it being hyperventilation as part of the acute alcohol withdrawal syndrome)

Anyway, injuries healing (physical and mental), sleeping better and getting stronger by the day
Old 08-09-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Hi guys, just wanted to check in. DH and I have had a few talks and things seem to be going well. Starting work again on Friday and I'm looking forward to that. Have stayed sober since last time I wrote.
Old 08-09-2017, 12:31 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Well done RS, ur so right regarding that 1st drink (its just impossible to go back after that) bet u feel really proud of urself! 👏👏

Wrigley, welcome back, don't beat urself up, just re-focus, next time ignore AV, its a b**ch!!

Day 15 for me, had my 1st therapy appt, went well but now im thinking loads (posted a thread in newcomers)
Just trying to relax with a hot chocolate!!👌👌
Old 08-09-2017, 02:40 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Well done RuneStone, that was a fantastic achievement so early in sobriety

That's nice to hear FallingLeaves, I hope it all sorts itself out, great job staying clean also

I've decided not to go to that music festival thing on Saturday and Sunday, my AV was shouting pretty loudly this evening and I just don't think I'm ready for anything that big yet. A couple of things bugged me the past couple of days, I was at my sisters yesterday and her boyfriend finished work and tried to make me have some of his weed even though he knows I'm on the straight and narrow now, he said he was just testing my will power but I know he wasn't and I just found that a bit mean-spirited and tonight I was at my cousins and I was going to the shop and he's asked me to pick him up some brandy at the time I didn't think it was an issue but when I had the bottle in hand, it seemed to just ignite my AV into a frenzy and it was telling me just how easy it would be to forget what I've done and drink and I could always start again seeing as I've come this far already, fairly smoothly. I just dropped the bottle off at his house and then get out of there and headed straight home. Sorry I had to vent there but I found myself getting wound up.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Good job SeanFox! Very impressed by how you handled these unexpected trigger situations.
Welcome back Wrigley. You can do it!
Good news Falling Leaves. Work and relationships work better without drinking I have found.
Glad your health is improving redcardid.
Day 33
Old 08-09-2017, 04:03 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through it ok Runestone

D
Old 08-09-2017, 06:24 PM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Well done RS! Redcardid- so happy to hear you're doing much better. FL- that sounds great. Loulou- Now I want some hot chocolate! I think I just go make myself a cup SF- great job making it through that. That does sound mean spirited, and I definitely could not buy a bottle for anyone right now.

For me today has been a challenge. Although I'd say overall my relationships do get better when I'm sober, I also have noticed that some things are made more clear and bother me- things I usually brush under the table when I'm drinking, especially with my husband. We argued today and it was the same go-around topic that always comes up between us- I just don't seem to fight back when I'm drinking because I just numb out and don't care.

Anyway, I wanted to post because my first thought was to go get something to drink. Then I thought about how I really didn't want to post that it was day 1 on here tomorrow, or be hungover waking up. Then I went for a run instead. Hard day, but I'm not going to drink tonight.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  

I visited my sister in prison today. She only has 8 months left. I took my 16 year old son. Wanted him to see what could happen if you get in trouble. It was an amazing visit. Lots of laughs. Always keeps me grounded and a great reminder that alcohol and my bloodline don't mix. My son was so happy to see his aunt...
Old 08-09-2017, 06:49 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

There is some serious ass-kicking going on around here! Great job Rune and Sean on dealing with difficult situations. Very impressive. I hope everyone else is doing well also.

Have to say I left work awefully annoyed at some BS and also dealing with a lot of circumstantial stress, also work related. Work is my biggest threat right now; when I'm very annoyed or stressed I want to drink. Today, I'm both, and actually have zero desire to solve it with alcohol. I'm happy about that. Going for a swim. Good night RS.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:18 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Fishing around . . .

Great getting back on the horse Wrigley. Congrats Runestone and Sean!

Feeling really angry/grumpy tonight. All about work-related stuff. But I won't let them "have the pleasure" of driving me to drink. They're not worth it. (That said, I like my job -- or at least what I'm paid to do. I just don't like some of the folks, or situations, I have to endure).

'Nuff. 'Night!
Old 08-10-2017, 12:31 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

That sounds like a difficult situation hns, I'm glad to hear you didn't drink and went for a run instead. The thought of posting a day 1 topic again keeps me motivated so much too. I never want to be in that situation again, you did brilliantly.

I know that feeling, Fish. I enjoy my job but some of the people I have to work with drive me nuts, I'm sure I drive them nuts some of the time though haha. It's nice to not have to reach for a drink at the first sign of any stress, I just take some deep breaths and try to think of the bigger picture, I tend to stare at the sky too, that calms me down and relaxes me if i get stressed.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:48 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Woke up a little foggy this morning, but am now feeling much better after reading the success stories posted on here over the last 24 hours! Great job everyone on focusing on your sobriety as priority #1.

Milestone day for me, and about $350 saved in the last month. The monetary part of this is just icing on the cake. And I love the icing!!!
Old 08-10-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Day 12

Breathing better - anxiety seems to be under control (just took meds once)
I'm on a fast at the moment to detox (done about 36 hours) - might do 7 days

Feeling a bit flat (even though I look like a ball with arms and legs) :-(

Trying to fall in love with myself (dwelling all the good stuff I've done / doing)

Anyway, things are going quite well. Good luck every body.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:37 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Day 5 check in. Whew, I'm so glad yesterday is over and am so grateful to be waking up clear headed this morning. DH and I ended up having a good talk last night and reached a resolution. Of course this would not have happened if I chose to drink and numb out.

I'm just feeling emotionally drained today (it doesn't sound like I'm the only one!) so I think baby and I will snuggle up and watch movies today and just relax. We're planning a mini backpacking trip with our kids this weekend hoping to catch a glimpse of the meteor shower so I think that's where I'll direct a lot of my energy today too.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day that is less stressful than yesterday was