Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 11

Old 09-01-2017, 02:11 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Hello!

I'm checking in from Santorini and despite this turning out to be a quite boozy island I am still sober.

I am in Greece on summer holiday with my BF and we're having a very lovely time. This island is a bit more focused on wine tasting and partying so we're both struggling a little. All of the shops sell alcohol, even the bakeries have a wine shelf right next to the entrance... And of course people keep offering it to us. I'm glad my BF is a bit more experienced with this and also knowing that he knows that I can't drink helps. If it were just me and a 'normal' drinker who doesn't know much about our disease, I am pretty sure I'd try to get away with drinking, telling myself it's just for the holiday.
But being with someone who's also in recovery makes it impossible to lie to myself.

The main reason for checking in is that i wanted to tell Kenton that i will be thinking of you tomorrow. I wanted to wait until the 2nd with checking in but we will go to another island tomorrow and i don't know how well the Internet works there. So I'm sorry I'm a day early but I will be thinking of you on your 9 months milestone and if I remember correctly it's also the day that you dad passed away?
I am very proud of you and very glad we 'met' here, you're a wonderful soul! Lots of love to you and the rest

Speak soon!
Old 09-01-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Ahhh, Kev that is so unbelievably kind of you to think of me whilst you're on holiday. I'm stunned and really touched. Thank you! The people I've met on this site are without doubt the kindest and most thoughtful people I've ever met in my life. Recovering alcoholics have an honesty and compassion for one another that I've never experienced before. It's amazing and humbling and I'm so glad I met you all. Yes, it's the first anniversary of dad's death tomorrow and also 10 months of being sober for me. I feel like I should go to dad's grave today after work but I can't bring myself to go there. I have a love/hate relationship with the graveyard. Sometimes I find great comfort being there and other times I can't believe dad's in the ground and hate being there. Think I'll leave it today and go when it feels right.

I'm off to a wedding in the middle of nowhere tomorrow which will no doubt be an extremely drunken event. I considered making excuses but there will be old university friends there who have got into contact recently and actually seem keen to see me and part of me wants to reconnect with people I haven't seen since before my drinking got bad. I feel secure enough in my sobriety to go and not drink and I can always check in here throughout the day.

Kev, I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday. I'm so glad you and your bf are having a great time and supporting each other so well. Thanks again for thinking about me - it's made my day! Love you Kev, love all of you xxx
Old 09-01-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Morning all,
That's so lovely Kev that you thought of Kenton while trying to avoid the plethora of alcohol on your holiday. Gotta say, that must be difficult but you seem to be handling it well. Awesome
Kenton, I am also thinking of you today with your dads 1st year and the wedding. Don't be like me and let anything wear down your resolve to refrain from drinking. For me it was flippant comments like 'I don't want you to feel deprived because you can't drink' and 'maybe you can moderate'. Those little seeds planted in my head, along with the stress of being in a wedding caused me to falter. I'm sure it won't happen to you you got this.
Nands, how are you feeling? Still mending nicely I hope.
Steely, how is your new abode?
Plenny, awesome pic I want to get another small tat but no idea what or where... any ideas?
Badge, has work settled down a bit after the spitting episode?
Dee, any fun plans for this weekend? You are in North Queensland yeah? What I'd give to have a nice, hot, 28 degrees summer day that you have probably been having over winter haha.
My eldest fur baby was sick last night so I slept on the couch with her sleeping on my tummy. She seems to be okay this morning. Might take her to the park today and spoil her rotten, although she gets spoilt everyday with pats and rubs so she might not know the difference lol. Hubby thinks I'm too attached to her, ummm yeah, she is my little bubba. Been with me through my worst times.
I feel like I have forgotten someone on here and that makes me a feel guilty. If I have I am super sorry, I can't scroll back to check cause I'm on my phone.
Have a lovely day Kenton and everyone
Xoxoxoxoxoxo
Old 09-01-2017, 05:17 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Little ability to say much as my back is really hurting and still trying to organise, can't stand chaos in the house, am ditching more stuff and really minimilising

Did you fit all of your gear in your new little pad Plenny? I mean who needs 5 casserole dishes particularly when I don't know how to make a casserole.

Congrats on your 10 months milestone kenton and am so glad you didn't leave SR. One day you might, but from my experience these are too early days and given your nut job neighbours the risk of drinking is high. Just my view.

You are doing awesome kev and enjoy your days idly soaking up the beauty of the Greek Islands and which alcohol would only turn to brutal ugliness. At least that would be the case for me.

I've worked out a good response to those who try have us drink Poppy however well intended. Frankly I don't really care if people know I don't drink because it caused me problems (super understatement), but a fun response for me is to simply laugh and say, "no thanks, I'm mad enough already." .

Where are you Nands? Are you OK? I need advice on how to lay turf on really hardened soil and you are the gardening guru. You are also my friend.

Really weird thing. Bloke two doors up has offered to help me hang blinds and in discussion turns out he has been sober for 31 years and Secretary of the local AA group.

I didn't instigate the disclosure, he did, and he and his wife have invited me for coffee. I don't know why he disclosed as I am not drinking and no one here knows my history. Maybe I have the look

Bit worried that that he might get a bit hard line and tell me I need to go to AA. I can see the signs already, and though I respect those who do use AA also believe that everyone has their own way of getting sober with AA not the only way. Outside of that he and his wife are really good people.

Hey badge how you doing? Sober I'm sure, but generally, is everything OK?

I'm so tired and it's been all about me so will close now just wanting to check in and add to the strength of the Nobenders.

Love to all xxx
Old 09-01-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 10 months today Aus Time Kenton

AA's not compulsory Steely - no thanks works with AAers too lol

Hey Kev - holiday sounds great - I'm glad you're not succumbing to pressure and drinking.

Hey Nands, Poppy, Plenny , Badger and anyone else lurking

D
Old 09-01-2017, 06:52 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the tutorial on uploading pics Poppy! Will print that out and maybe get some sharing done.

Kenton= oh my friend we seem to be sharing the same thought patterns, I used to watch the Walking Dead, every episode, but the past 2 seasons were getting way to negative, dark with no relief. So I stopped watching completely. That being said however, I have been reading a lot of post apopolectic novels, about surviving and existing after all power and modern convieniances have stopped. That and the state of well, everything, I look around me and realize that I am hopelessly materially unprepared for anything, I keep thinking that I will remedy that, but people laugh at me enough as it is.

Work wise, again thank you all for your thoughts and support. I am not worried about the health effects, I have been assured by Dr.s that transmission of any diseases by spit are microscopic and that I have a better chance of winning the lottery than developing anything, I still want payback, and it will happen. Karma and patience are two things I have faith in.

Plenny, I am so glad to see your posts, and know that you are okay. My heart is breaking for all affected. I want so much to rescue all the animals, seeing them on the tops of cars, roofs, swimming, it tears me apart. I have donated, but I do not feel it is enough.

Husband is away fishing for the holiday weekend, leaving me on my own to drink and eat popcorn to excess. I actually gave deep thought to attending an AA meeting, but the fear of running into any of our inmates negated that right away, I will not take that risk, as it gives them an "edge", or power over me at work, I cannot tolerate or be worried about that happening. I hope you all understand. As far as the popcorn,,, well I haven't been grocery shopping so I have none in the house,,,, maybe tomorrow though

Badge
Old 09-01-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  
Administrator

what about online meetings badgerden?

D
Old 09-01-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  

online meetings? Like our chatroom?

Badge
Old 09-01-2017, 08:24 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Drinking popcorn or drinking Badgerden? Not policing you just want to make sure you're ok and didn't quite understand the wording

If there are online AA meetings I might benefit from that.... I find in person meetings to be really hard and somewhat confrontational. I have always felt that way about classes, and meetings. I used to think that was just life but I really depleted myself. I much prefer true anonymity... I struggle with that though because I also recognize the importance of community.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:30 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by badgerden View Post
online meetings? Like our chatroom?

Badge
There are online meetings for AA - not on SR but they're out there
D
Old 09-01-2017, 08:36 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Thank you Plenny, I reread my post and I now see the error, drinking wine and eating popcorn is how I should have phrased it, cannot blame spellcheck for that. ��

Badge
Old 09-01-2017, 08:40 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  
Administrator

drinking wine
stop it , seriously.

You made a bad initial choice on how to spend the weekend but it's still early enough for you to make a new, better choice.

Dump the booze, keep the popcorn

D
Old 09-01-2017, 09:22 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Okay. Wow. I see it now, I humbly apologize Dee, I am sober, contrary to my typing and grammar. No excuses

Badge
Old 09-01-2017, 09:47 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Now I'm confused. Initially I thought you meant drinking soft drink and eating popcorn badge but now I don't know? Did you have a blip badge? You know the drill badge, back on the horse.

I can understand your reticence about going to AA in case you might bump into an inmate, it really would give the person an edge, and anonymity probably out the window.

Does the penal system in America offer special AA meetings for its workers? We have stuff like that here for other professions, maybe there too?
Old 09-02-2017, 12:11 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Can totally understand why you wouldn't want to bump into an inmate in AA meetings Badge. I didn't know there were online meetings. If I ever feel the need to start incorporating AA into my recovery, I will try that. I've got a bit disillusioned with the Walking Dead too. I still watch it when it's on but yes, it's very dark. Interesting that it's not the zombies who are causing most of the problems now, it's the human survivors. Some of them are pure evil!! Maybe that's what happens when you have to kill zombies all day long. I don't know. I'm going off on a tangent! Hope you have a good weekend Badge xx

Steely, your casserole comment made me laugh so much my dog looked at me in alarm. It's great that you're already making friends Steely. Do you reckon there's a recovering alcoholic look? If so, I'm proud to have it. I'm so proud to be a recovering alcoholic. Not quite ready to shout it out in the middle of my kids school playground but maybe one day.....

Can't stay long because I have to get ready to drive off into the countryside for the wedding. Poppy, your fur babies sound very lucky to have such a doting mum. Plenny, hope everything is good with you. I imagine your home as the coolest place ever Plenny. A place where you can get tattoos and the most delicious vegetarian food. Nands, how you feeling? Kev, hope you are enjoying the Greek sunshine. Hello Dee, hope you're having a good weekend. Love to everyone. If the drunk people get too much at this wedding, I may keep sneaking off to post here. So apologies in advance. Maybe it will be ok. Maybe there will be loads of sober people there to hang out with. Positive thinking. Be back soon xxxx
Old 09-02-2017, 01:07 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  
Administrator

No need to apologise to me for anything Badgerden

We'll all be with you Kenton

D
Old 09-02-2017, 02:04 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  

I love you kenton, you are the most kind person ever, and I don't mean kind in the you're a walkover sorta kind 'cause I know you're not, but kind in the truly human sense. You've got heart, and it's people like you, and all of us here I reckon as we Nobender on, over and under this difficult path that will keep the world turning, and the zombies at bay. Keeping the faith as Solly used to say. Hope you're doing OK Solly even if your faith has been tested. Again, I digress with my sloppy brain all over the shop.

Was thinking about your neighbours and their treatment of you and it makes me so angry as I compare in my mind the loveliness of you and the ugliness of themselves. As my Mum used to say, "they are not in the same street as you", but unfortunately they are, and if only they knew what a good neighbour they could have in you if only they could see beyond their wicked contempt for all things beautiful and true. I wish you were my neighbour. True I do.

I know we have given the baseball bat a miss, but the cricket bat is another question altogether. Poetry in motion cricket it is. And the edge of the bat......eek! Only kidding, but sometimes it makes me wonder.

Sometimes hard to turn the other cheek but know deep in my heart that violence will only beget violence and I don't want to be going down that road, and just as I imagine you would feel.

Dearest badge I really hope you are OK and you do know that many of us here have blipped out, but then we turn the light on again and the blip a thing of the past. Yesterday's calendar.

Poppy it has been so long since last I spoke with you and so glad that your/our blips are behind us. Listen in here badge, Poppy and I can both attest to the good deal found in beating the blip. Ain't that right, Poppy?

I've always thought that your pad would be really cool too Plenny, and I love your tat and maybe too, you could teach me how to make a casserole.

Where are you Nands I'm worried about you and reckon you're one of the beautiful ones too. Jeez, now I'm going for the sop trifecta, forgive me I'm a lover not a fighter.

Anxious that I'll lose this post.

Rock on Nobenders I really love you all.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Good Morning all! Happy Saturday! I am so sorry for any confusion I caused from my posts last night. No alcohol passed my lips, I do not drink much soda's, big on lemon water or sun tea. And just to be clear,,,, milk goes best with popcorn, if I am really stressed and need to go off the deep end, my comfort food is popcorn, (duh) big glass of milk and reeses peanut butter cups, a whole bag, not just one, or two,,,,,,,

Need to get my day started, the dogs are demanding play time in the park, so off I must go.

take care all!

Badge
Old 09-02-2017, 08:29 AM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Well I am glad to hear you made it through Badge, although even though you clarified I am still confused by that post back there. I should probably just stop at this post but I thought you said your husband was leaving you on your own to drink and eat popcorn to excess, and then you corrected it to mean drink wine and eat popcorn. Forgive me please I am still baffled but I'm very glad you are ok.

Steely, yes I was able to fit my things into my tiny place haha. I left a lot behind when I left my ex husband so when I arrived here in town, I only had a mini van full of art and kitchen things. It is amazing what you can do with a tiny space though, and sometimes it even forces you to lighten your load a bit. I'm sorry your back is bothering you. How come your posts keep getting lost?

I'm sad I can't use the iPhone app for SR anymore. It was really helpful for me in those times I braved a dinner party or felt alone while out at work, etc. I'd hide in the bathroom and read and post until I felt better. Now if I use the site on my phone it repeatedly makes me sign in, I have to always choose the full desktop view because it's easier for me to read and all that happens and by the time I'm in I have to sign in again and then it's back to the phone view. Is there any chance the app could come back?
Old 09-02-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

I miss the app as well apparently hackers or something caused issues with the app so they stopped updating it and then completely took it away. If the admins need programmers to rewrite it securely I have about 4 on hand at work that could do it
Yes Steely thankfully we just blipped out a wee bit. Back on the horse and weirdly I feel the blip has made my resolve that much stronger. Still early days though but I do feel more confident this time around.
How was the wedding Kenton? More importantly how are you feeling post wedding/1st anniversary day?
Love xx