Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 13

Old 12-06-2017, 08:11 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Good deal SG. I was bummed it's not free after I went to use it today :/

I attended the maditation center last night. Was interesting. Myself and 2 others were new and got a dedicated class on their meditation style.

Very different. Starting with the fact that it's done with the eyes open. You just gaze and not look at anything I particular. Supposedly it increases awareness and reduces the racing mind.

Although I missed it due to the class I attended, they also do walking meditation and chanting. Apparently they walk around the room in the same direction and gaze while walking. Brings about a higher level of consciousness.

I heard the room chanting on my way out. Wierd to say the least. But I could definitely buy into that due to my strong belief and success with using mantras. My current mantra is finding myself. I set passwords and create forum logins using it. Really helps to keep my eye on the prize.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:27 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Hilites from a blog I'm reading regarding spirituality and addiction. There's no doubt I was missing this piece when I quit drinking.

the founder of the twelve-step recovery program once famously suggested that an alcoholic is an individual who tried to find meaning, purpose, or spiritual fulfillment at the bottom of a bottle.

How Addiction Affects One’s Spirituality
- Addicts tend to keep secrest from others, which involves increasing levels of dishonesty and deceit.
- addicts try to live a double-life, appearing normal to their loved ones while abusing mind-altering substances behind closed doors.
- Loved ones may ask the addict what he or she is going through, met with lies that accumulate and affect entire families.
- In short, living in active addiction results in the entrenching of one’s spirit in negativity, dishonesty, and desperation

The Twelve Steps
- Designed to be spiritual rather than religious, it's a cumulative process that includes admitting one’s addiction, taking a moral inventory of character defects, and making amends to individuals one has previously wronged.
- working the steps allows an individual to have what is essentially a spiritual awakening, which will give him or her the fulfillment and purpose that was lacking when the addiction developed.
- Additionally, once members have worked the steps themselves, they’re encouraged to be mentors, or so-called sponsors, to newcomers, allowing them to help others achieve spiritual wellness

Benefits of Incorporating Spirituality Into the Recovery Process:
- Studies have found time and again that people who are actively spiritual or attend some sort of religious services regularly have a significantly higher quality of life, a more positive outlook and demeanor, and are eight times less likely to resort to substance abuse. - Recovery takes a lot of energy and dedication, having a strong sense of spirituality can provide strength to persevere and reap the benefits of moral restoration.
- Spiritual practices also tend to involve group-based activities such as worship, scripture study, or even just prayer or meditation groups, offering a means of networking with others who are similarly spiritual and could become part of one’s support network; in short, spirituality can sometimes be a social experience.

Although spirituality may not be a central part in every individual’s life, evidence indicates that the majority of the population is spiritual or religious in some way. Therefore, it follows that spirituality needs to be a major part of the recovery process for most addicts.

We all have our own journey. Personally, I wish I would have explored this while I was addressing alcohol. It was right there at my finger tips when I attended AA a few times. I wanted what they had. NOt only sobriety, but faith and belief in a higher power, never mind the sense of belonging.

At the time though, I was still too stubborn and rigid in my beliefs. Now I am finally able to let some things go and I no longer have even a shred of belief that I know better. That's for sure.

I went to another meditation center last night. Same organization, differnt location. I like being able to share my experiences and growth with other people on a simular journey. It's one thing to meditate and explore spirituality on my own. It's been one heck of a journey. But doin that with others has taken it to a whole new level.

Last night I had a hard time quieting the mind. Eh...that's not supposed to be the objective actually. I guess what I mean is that my mind was hyper active and would get stuck on a thought for a long time. I didn't get to experience the deep connection with myself.

But I still grew from it because I felt most of my thoughts coming from the same place. Either I was thinking about the past and all the mistakes I made, or I was thinking of all the mistakes I'm currently making.

Once I recognized that, things got better. And it helped me understand the root behind a low level depression I was feeling through the day.

So at the end of the day, I gained some awareness. Still productive even though it wasn't what I was hoping for. I'm still learning to accept things for what they are and accept the plan of the universe.

Last night was just another reminder that if I relax and let the universe work for me, I'll be better served. Way more than whatever "plan" I have, or whatever I think I need
Old 12-08-2017, 09:51 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I use the Insight Timer app for my daily meditation, as well as youtube. I also practice Kundalini yoga, which is a combination of breath-work, chanting and yoga. Even with all this in my daily practice, I too have been thinking about drinking. I know I can't drink, and I know I won't drink, but the thought has crossed my mind more than once this week. It's so important to recognize your thoughts, and to come face to face with them. These thoughts are our pain points, and should be welcomed as a chance to heal from our past. We learn from our mistakes. When these thoughts cross my mind, I take the time to be GRATEFUL for my SOBER life! I will never forget sitting on my bedroom floor on a Tuesday afternoon drinking tea and liqueur, wondering when my life became so awful that I had to drink, and then feeling even worse for being drunk on a Tuesday afternoon while my family were off living life at work and school. And you know what? Nothing has changed other than me. I changed, therefore, my life has changed. I am so happy and healthy and free right now, but I still live in the same house, married to the same man, and doing the same work. But, I am happy. Just proves the point that you can't look for happiness outside of yourself. Happiness comes from within.

Be do Be do Be do Be do ... a nice little song to sing to yourself while you make your your morning coffee, or lace up your running shoes!

Have a great sober weekend buds! x
Old 12-08-2017, 01:22 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Thanks for the inspiring post Cauliflower! Glad to see you are doing well. Are you vacationing in Mexico this year?

Went to a noontime meeting and the topic was tolerance. Of other people and self tolerance. Lots of good thoughts from the assembled crowd.

It's funny as soon as you begin to feel a little better, the brain tries to trick us into believing that we got this licked and the work is done. All week I was debating whether or not to pursue more meetings. I am glad I went. It inspired me to continue further and possibly start studying the Steps, get serious about meditation and so on. I have gotten recently serious about losing some weight, and I'm down about ten pounds. Of course, going crazy burns a lot of calories.

Hope you are doing ok Amp!
Old 12-08-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a great sober weekend buds! x
you too cauliflower and everyone.
SG I hope that you're feeling a little more secure now?

D
Old 12-08-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Love those talks SG. I'm going to be adding some AA meetings to my arsenal. The NA meetings aren't as convenient in this area. I'm looking forward to them.

Another note about the meditation center I attended. Part of it was a walking meditation. We slowly walked around the room clockwise. The idea is to get about 1hr meditation in. 20min sit, 15min walk, 20 min sit.

It was weird but interesting because I found myself concerned if I was doing it right, or how stupid it felt, or that we looked like a scene on walking dead, what is the person behind me thinking? Lol.

Most of my thoughts were based on how I looked. My ego wasn't too thrilled with it, but I was able to put those thoughts to rest.

SG... Have you started WB yet? You may experience a honey moon period. The effects that you feel for the for week or so won't stay around.

Have you been meditating? I went ahead and paid for headspace. Just month to month.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:51 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

I'm OK, thanks. Just been sick the last few days. I slept 14 hours last night and feel a little better. Hopefully through the worst now.

Have a good weekend all!
Old 12-09-2017, 04:33 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Feel better Inc!
Old 12-12-2017, 01:59 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Hey guys! Hope you are all doing well. Guess it's a tough time of year for most of us alcoholics, running up to the holiday season. I'm still a bit under the weather so, thankfully, booze isn't at the front of my mind right now.

Anyway... Got to run. Just been a while since I was on the thread and wanted to touch Base
Old 12-12-2017, 10:20 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Amp, I hope you feel better soon! Drink tons of water to flush out the system. .
SG: I'm glad you are taking action on your ideas. It will be life changing.
Inc. : I was part of a "dancing" meditation and I felt so awkward. Same thing, my ego did not like it. If I could back and do it again, who knows...I may still feel awkward, or I may just go with the flow. Everything we do is learning process.

Yesterday was my birthday, and I great day. I met my parents for lunch, and then browsed the shops with my daughter, picked a few christmas gifts, and then we found a lady who read our tarot cards and palms. Amazingly accurate, she touched on areas of our lives that no stranger would ever know. It was fun. I was told that I am on the right path, and I should find contentment with focusing on helping others, such as a healer, teacher, social worker, group leader. It was really interesting. She said keep meditating every day (how would she know?), and she said she sees a rainforest in my future (hello! I am planning on a journey to Costa Rica next year!). She said she sees continued happiness, self growth, good health and happy strong marriage.

This reading was much different from a reading a few years ago. My husband and kids and I had a group reading at a fair once, and he said to think of a question and either ask out loud or in our minds....I kept mine quiet. When it came to my turn, he looked right at me and said, "You can, but it's all up to you. You have to take charge of you, and it will be possible." Can you guess what I asked? I'll give you a hint, I very very very hungover after an all night drinking binge with my cousin.

SG: We are heading to Mexico after Christmas this year! I cannot wait for a little r&r from this cold snap. Did I mention that my daughter was pregnant? She is expecting her baby any day now, so we are not leaving until after babies first christmas! All is well with her...she and her boyfriend are split, kinda, it's complicated. He's a little freaked out to say the least, but I have a feeling he will come around. My daughter is strong, and is not to worried about him, she is looking out for herself and her baby. <3
Old 12-12-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Happy Birthday Cauli!

It's amazing how card readers and others of that ilk can sometimes pick up on things. I am open minded about that kind of thing, though a skeptic by nature.

Congrats on your daughter's baby?! I'm sure you are excited to be a grandmother. That sounds so odd thinking of you as a grandmother for some reason. You seem way too young!

I hope you continue feeling better Amp. The Christmas season is really not one of my favorites. Society paints this picture of how a perfect Christmas should be. To me, it's pretty much a big chore. I used to put lights out and decorate the house, but it just became a giant chore so I bagged it. No one in the family seems to care. We do our tree, and I enjoy pulling out all of the ornaments the kids made when they were younger. I always say the tree is our totem pole of family history.

Wishing all here the best!
Old 12-13-2017, 08:46 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Amp...Holiday season is a PIA for sure. That's something I'm putting some mental focus on. The other day we had a company xmas party. I didn't want to go but forced myself to be social. When I got there, I forced myself to work the room. Shook some hands, sat down with a few people and talked. Wasn't all that bad.

Which I could say I had a good time and made some friends. But instead I made up an excuse and bolted after dinner.

Baby steps I guess.

Cauli...
The read sounds awesome. I have some erie experiences as well with fortune tellers. I saw 2 and both nailed some things that nobody would know with precise detail too. One involving knowing my car broke down. Not only that, she told me what was wrong with it before we even knew. How is that possible?

I've been giving some thought to seeing another recently so it's funny you mention this.

All...
well, today I have what could be considered a 2nd interview with a potential employer. I'll be "hanging around" one of their locations for a few hours so I can see what it's about and ask the team any questions I want. It's all bout making sure this is a good fit.

It's with a Tire / car repair company. Family owned and local with 37 stores. I know somebody who is working with them now and loves the culture.

The cool part is, I can get ASE certified as a mechanic if I wanted to at thier expense.

I'd start as a sales manager, then service manager, then store leader. All sounds decent and the culture does sound great.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:00 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  
Administrator

Belated bday wishes Cauli

D
Old 12-13-2017, 05:26 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Congrats on moving forward with another potential company Inc!

The owner of my wife's company is having their Christmas party at a fancy steak house on Friday. Of course, it's open bar pre dinner and the owner is a wine geek cork snifter and will order bottle upon bottle at dinner. I will enjoy a nice meal at any rate. The company is only six employees and the spouses make for an intimate gathering. I think I need to run out and get a cheap sport coat before Friday. Inc, ever go to Jos A Banks? I used to do Men's Wearhouse before Banks bought them out.

Survived one of those periods where I worked 20 out of 30 hours. Hopefully get some sleep tonight.

Take care all!
Old 12-14-2017, 12:37 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Hi All! Don't think I remembered to wish Cauliflower a happy birthday either so here it is! Hopenyounhad a great day with those close to you
Old 12-14-2017, 01:18 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

SG... Men's Warehouse was bought out? Damn, that's where I got my coats.

Would be tough to buy one though because they normally ran BOGO.

I guess check them out. And FWIW... I scored some awesome blazers at Goodwill.

As well as off Kohls clearance rack.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Good luck with the tyre company Inc. Good culture is so important in a place of work. Hope you get it!
Old 12-17-2017, 07:08 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Any more news about the tire company Inc?

We had all of three inches of snow Friday afternoon and it took me two and a half hours to get home. Not liking winter at all, and it hasn't even started yet.

My wife's company party had good food, and lots and lots of drinking. The people on either side of me managed to knock over full glasses of wine my way. I got to sniff that wine soaked table cloth all night. The guy on my left whom knocked over the first glass later asked me why I wasn't drinking. I wanted badly to say something really snarky, but I was very polite. It wouldn't be cool for my wife if I made a scene. It's funny how being around a bunch of people drinking really made me glad that I don't drink anymore.

Are you finally feeling any better Amp?

OMD, it's about time for you to make an appearance. We miss ya no matter what you are going through.

Hope you are keeping warm in the Great White North Cauli!

Night all.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:50 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

I'm better thanks SG. I've got a job this morning examining some students on the military Base in Rota so first time for me on US territory!!

Things are moving with the music at the moment. Will tell you more soon!

Happy Monday
Old 12-18-2017, 12:37 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Good to hear that you are moving forward with the music Amp!