Notices

Class of January 2017 Support Thread Part 6

Old 08-21-2017, 03:28 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Day 233.
Good morning classmates. The start of the week. For me, with definite challenges but hopefully some good things also.
Have a healthy, happy and sober day all.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:16 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Day 234.
Good morning Dee & all.
This mornings checkin was spent reading some of the newcomers threads.
It is humbling reading how hard it is for many folks and how lucky we are to be through that part of our recovery.
Have a great, sober and happy day classmates .
Old 08-22-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hi guys,

I’m going through a bit of a tough time. My dog, Bones, died on Saturday and I’m heartbroken. I didn’t want to post and wasn’t going to for awhile, but I know that’s exactly why I should.

We honestly couldn’t have asked for a better way for him to go. On Saturday, Me and my BF took him in his radio flyer to a park, we sat in the grass for 45 minutes with him, then brought him home. We took him out of the wagon and he walked straight to our door and collapsed once inside. He was ready to go. We had thought we would have to put him down, but he went on his own terms which is what we had always hoped for. I feel in a way that last walk was a kindness he pushed through, for us.

Over the past three years, I’ve worked on and off, but always from home. I never realized how much he kept me company, even just by sleeping in the other room. He got three walks a day usually, I had the morning and afternoon walks, while my BF usually took him for the late night stroll after work. Sometimes I joined in as well.

I’m so grateful to have had these past 7 1/2 months sober with him. I’ve been able to truly embrace and enjoy every moment - being both more patient and present. He also helped me more than he’ll ever know. As you all know, Sobriety, especially early on, can be very lonely and isolating. He was always by my side.

I’ve never grieved the loss of an animal before. It’s strange. It truly feels like I’ve lost a best friend. The house feels empty and all our normal routines are out the window. I’ve cleaned - A LOT - the last few days. It seems to help keep my mind busy. I’ve been avoiding leaving the house often, as he was kinda the neighbourhood dog that everyone knew and I’m not ready to say he’s gone yet and have to explain what happened over and over.

Every now and then I keep walking in a room, expecting to see him, or I’ll think I hear his nose whistle or his paws on the floor. I know in time I’ll be able to think of him and just smile, but for now, it's still so sad. I’m not going to lie, the thought of drinking did occur to me on Saturday night, but I didn’t. I don't want to remember his death as my relapse. He deserves better.

He was almost 11 so he had a nice long life. I was so lucky to be a part of that for the past 9 years. The love he showed to us was immeasurable.

Now for a bit of comic relief. Our normal vet was closed when it happened so we had to bring him to the emergency vet to prepare for his cremation. A lovely receptionist brought us to a room but then left us there to go look for a pamphlet about memorial urns, etc. We were alone with bones lying on a table when a Vet strolled in all bright eyed and enthusiastic saying something along the lines of “And what seems to be the problem today, folks” He then proceeds to touch bones and then realized he has no pulse. The look on his face. We’re like…"Ummm he’s dead." Poor guy couldn’t get out of there fast enough. I tried to help him out and said how we had a nice last walk, etc and he spewed some garble about how when it’s time. He was clearly mortified and couldn’t get out of there fast enough. He left and we both busted a gut! It was pretty funny and what we needed.

I’ve finally added an avatar picture so you guys can see Bones - he was one handsome fella. We loved him with everything we had, and he loved us.

I’m not an overly religious person, but I like to think he’s in heaven now and has made some lovely new friends and one day we’ll get to see him again.

Hope you’re all doing well.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:39 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Oh, Ina, I am so, so sorry to hear about the passing of your dog. I love the picture of Bones you posted, what a sweet pup. I can't imagine how difficult this must be for you. I am sending you my thoughts and prayers. And I think it is so great that you fought against the urge to take a drink, and rather preserve his memory without that association. It is very brave.

Sending you peace and light and healing thoughts.
NACN
Old 08-22-2017, 10:03 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm very sorry for your loss Ina - but I bet he loved riding in that waggon

D
Old 08-23-2017, 02:29 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I am so sorry Ina. I appreciate your post and sharing your thoughts. My heart goes out to you. Bones does look lovely, and happy.
Enjoying his time in the park, on the wagon , is one of the loveliest things you could have done for your best friend.
And you being able to fully enjoy his last months, full aware and sober, is a gift. I am sure he noticed the difference also.
This is a time for grieving. Be strong and know we are all thinking of you. Bones is in a happy place with new friends.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:45 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Day 236.
A restless night sleep so up very early. Trying to get myself centered to begin the day.

It has been one of those mornings where you have bad dreams through the night, then on-going worries creep into your waking seconds and so you get up anxious.
Having coffee now, listening to music, and beginning my day how I want to. Focusing, slowly, on what I should be. Setting my goals. Will be fine soon.

I hope we all have a nice, happy, sober and constructive day.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:26 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi Januarians,

Hope everyone is hanging in there and getting through. It has been a challenging few weeks.

DLB, it seems you really have the right idea with your morning ritual, and being sure to check in with yourself and where you are. It is very healthy, and I'm sure helpful in your recovery.

Thinking about all of you. Have a happy, healthy sober day.
NACN
Old 08-25-2017, 03:40 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Day 237.
Thanks NACN. Yes, it has been a challenging few weeks for all of us.
I slept far better last night and have woke late, but much happier than yesterday. About to get into my self-study work. No exercise today but I have been good all week so 100% fine with that.

I do still very much still in recovery, even this far into the year. This is the right path though.

Have a healthy, happy and sober end to the week classmates.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:20 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Day 238.
Good morning Januarians. Saturdays are always a bit quiet on this thread so I check out the weekenders.
I hope my fellow classmates are doing well.
Have a sober, happy and fun weekend all.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hello!

Kind of uneventful day today... my husband turned his ankle early on in our walk, so he was kind of out of commission all day. Didn't get as much done today as I would have liked, but some things got done.
NO energy at all today. Just don't get it!
I am hoping for an upturn in our fortunes coming up! I think I feel it happening! Let's hope!
Have a happy, healthy, sober Sunday.
NACN
Old 08-27-2017, 05:31 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Day 239.
Hi NACN.
I hope he gets better soon. I turned mine a few years ago. It seemed innocuous at the time but I had actually done some ligament damage. It healed so fortunately nothing permanent. Of course I didn't go to the doctor, as I should have.

This weekend has been OK. I have a busy and potentially stressful week coming up. Working out, and feeling stronger now, has definitely been helping my spirits.

I hope we all have an upturn in our fortunes. Keeping my fingers crossed with you.

Have a healthy, happy and sober Sunday.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:38 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Day 240.
Hi Classmates. Ready a my big week ahead. No gym or even study today but that is OK. Will make it up this week.
Have a healthy, happy and sober week.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hello!

Back to the work week. Rehearsals going well. Kids start back to school at the end of this week, I don't go back until next week.

Good luck to you with your busy week DLB! Sending positive thoughts.

Have a great week Januarians!
NACN
Old 08-28-2017, 04:13 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

enjoy the week

D
Old 08-29-2017, 01:24 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Day 241.
Thanks NACN. My week has started super hard but enjoyable. Today will be similar but going OK. Sone bigger issues to deal with though.
I am glad you are doing well and back in rehearsals with the kids back in school. It sounds like the normal world is returning ! Best of luck back to you also.

Have a happy, sober and fulfilling day all.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:58 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Day 242.
Just a quick check in. Hope all are doing well. My tough week is picking up, hopefully. I have the gym this morning and a tiny bit of self-study before, so hoping to set my day on the right path.
Have a happy, sober and rewarding day all.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:14 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Day 243.
Good morning Januarians. Getting through the week. Sleep has been in short supply but I am OK. Keeping to my routine.
Hope you are all sober, happy and well.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hello Class,

DLB, good to hear you are making it through this challenging week! Sounds like it it going well and you are doing well. Hopefully the sleep will get better for you.

Our group is getting reeeaaalllyy small. I hope there are still others out there that are keeping on and staying well.
Have a great day Januarians.
NACN
Old 08-31-2017, 05:44 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Day 243,

Thanks so much for your kind words about sweet Bones, it really meant so much. I haven't had much to say lately, but I've been following along and gaining inspiration from our little group Happily still sober and still committed.

NACN - Hope your husband's ankle is okay. Also, glad to hear rehearsals are going well! I also think our group is about to have an upswing of fortune! These things come in waves and it feels about time.

DLB - Hope you're giving this tough week a beating!! Your routine is absolutely admirable. It's also great to hear the working out is paying off and you're feeling stronger!

Dee - Thanks for the constant encouragement You're the best!

Alright, going to try to be productive today! Will be checking in more regularly again.

Hope you all have a fantastic day