Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 40

Old 07-29-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I need to try a Dutch baby. Son had one at a restaurant once and loved it. I need a cast iron skillet? I actually don't have one! My brother confiscated my mom's set. They were the best. Nothing like an old, well seasoned one.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Happy Saturday! Take a moment to notice that you are not hungover right now. It's a good day.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Ah yes! Cheers to not being hungover. Three years ago at this time was the absolute bottom of the alcohol pit for me. Good reminder to be thankful Briar.

I wonder if I was the only guy at a gym this morning listening in my buds to Frampton's 'Baby I Love Your Way' whilst thinking about Dutch babies and the definite need for an iron skillet? Had a great workout though. Couldn't get my phone to make the reply, but yes phoebe you need to pick one up! I'm gonna look back and find the recipe and instructions to post.

Raining buckets here. Odd summer it's been.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

We inherited a cast iron skillet from my wife's grandmother who used to make killer southern biscuits, apparently. They are very useful, so I ended picking up a cast iron baking pan. It's great for all kinds of things and even good on the grill.

Day one, no coffee. Grass cut, shrubs trimmed. Prolly last time I'll trim the shrubs around here. It's a cloudy, cool day. Odd for this time of year too.

Glad to be hungover free as well! Hard to even remember what that was like exactly. But reading that woman's article brought back what it was early on. Sometimes I miss the excitement of that first sober year. Make sense?
Old 07-29-2017, 12:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Conquest, I had to look up Palacios. Other than Galveston I've not been anywhere on the Texas coast. Sounds like a nice time. How'd you cook up those fresh crab? Delicious I bet.

I almost feel guilty drinking this cuppa..... Almost.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

"Hi God, it's me, Briar. Hey, I was kinda hoping that if you send my kid a tummy bug, you'll also send me traffic so we can enjoy it in the car."

Prayer answered.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Oh man. Sorry Briar! Been there!
Old 07-30-2017, 05:47 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post

I almost feel guilty drinking this cuppa..... Almost.
Why would you? I feel measurably better already. Night and day.

Gorgeous morning. I think a family hike is in order for today.

Enjoy the day guys!
Old 07-30-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Getting ready for my climb. I'll be there two hours. One with a trainer and the other with my climbing partner. I'm infinitely grateful I haven't come down with my daughter's digestive drama yet. After this morning I really don't care.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Be careful of caffeine withdrawal headaches, Arbor. If it happens, try cutting your coffee with decaf, slowly, until it's all decaf. If that makes sense.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:59 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Should get a cast iron pan...I do have a heavy Calphalon pan that can go into the oven. It might work, but sides are low, more like an omelet pan.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:34 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi phoebe, I hope your recovery is going smoothly.

We used the recipe from epicurious for Dutch baby with lemon sugar. I don't know how others compare, likely similar. Anyway, it called for a 10 inch iron skillet. I will say that you have to be a bit careful as you have to preheat the skillet to 450 degrees. My kitchen mitts were too thin.

Now Ive gotta research panko fried oysters. It's a surprisingly pleasant evening and I want to give the panoka try, I don't like to fry inside.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:30 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

HI all - hope everyone is doing OK

D
Old 07-31-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good morning all! We got home late last night, stopping on the way home to pick up jr for the week. I was B-E-A-T! After unpacking, I hit the pillow hard and feel great waking up in my own bed. It was a super fun get away that hit every spot...lots of laughs mixed with true relaxation time. And I now consider myself to be a semi-professional crabber. Lol
As for cooking them, we just boiled them in a huge pot with Cajun seasoning. And we fried the fish. (The guys caught flounder, redfish, trout, and gaff top.)
Anthony Bourdain included a neat feature on a bait shop/restaraunt in Palacios called The Point. It's in his Houston episode of Parts Unknown (even though it's a bit away). Here is the link, if interested. The whole episode is good, but The Point is at minute 28.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YAy7KrxRGKc

7:00 already?! Gotta get myself movin!
Old 07-31-2017, 10:31 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I liked that story on The Point Conquest. Nice to see success made from a good honest work ethic. Gotta respect that.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:58 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

We stayed at a home nearby and ate there daily. (Well, everyone else did. I brought my own cuisine. Lol) Cowboy loved the breakfast tacos and his friend raved on the pho. If you're looking for a place to truly get away and unplug, that's the spot. There's not much else to do but fish/crab, eat, gaze, and nap.

So I came back home with yet another doctor's appointment on the agenda. It's so nice to get blood-work done knowing that you're clean and clear, both physically and emotionally. Just sayin
Old 08-01-2017, 02:55 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Nice to see you back Dee.

I've not heard of pho.

Gotta get blood work done Friday myself and it's nice to know all the liver stuff should be just fine.

Have a great Tuesday all. Gotta roll....
Old 08-01-2017, 10:17 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Exhausted. Ran all over hell's half acre all day doing 2000 things, and then my daughter disobeyed my husband which set off world war three. It's always like this. She does something that will obviously **** him off, she totally knows better, then he gets mad and is "meaner" than me, and because I'm the more mellow one, she runs to me for asylum, and he gets after me for being the good cop, and I'm like "what the hell just happened? How did I get in the middle of this?" Ugh. Family.

My friend won Green Day tickets and is trying to get me to go with her. I love Green Day, but I hate concerts. They are totally overwhelming for me. Sucks because, I mean, it's Green Day for god's sake! But nope, gotta respect my own limits. Too much stress and you may as well just put this brain in a blender.

I'm glad tomorrow's a new day.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:25 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

You know, Briar, my son, only 13, thinks concerts seem like a miserable experience. He's very sensitive to loud noise, and so, the loudness and crowds, together hold no appeal for him. While it's a little sad, because he might miss out on some fun shows with friends in the near future, I think it's great that he recognizes and voices his needs at his age.

It's great that you know your limits.

How are you doing Leigh?

Nice to see you, Dee.

Arbor, still holding your family in my thoughts.

Mark, we made ice cream last night. Simple, no cook recipe. It was good, but might need to up our game...

I'm hanging in there. Sort of in a rut, stuck with some discomforts that are annoying, but good appetite, not really in pain. Halfway there, per the 6 weeks that the doc said I needed.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:30 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi guys. I am having MAJOR issues staying logged in; I am being automatically and immediately not logged off after logging in.

It is beyond frustrating.

Hope this post takes!!!!!!!

Love to all.