Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 31

Old 07-21-2017, 11:15 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

You're sounding on top of things Izzy, good for you!

Friday evening here, just about to get out my yoga mat, and settle in to a practice.

I'm in for the Bargain.

Love to all x
Old 07-21-2017, 01:40 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

12 weeks.

Feeling I'm out of the danger now.

Good work Izzy. After 15 months sober. Then a relapse. Then off and on. It's taken a year to get back sober.

I won't be letting go again.....

Im working with some pretty full on teens. Social drug and alcohol problems. This school now seems to be providing the opportunity for pastoral care that I missed in HK.

Dee freein Mariah tops and izzy I hope you're well.

I'm in for the bargain.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:18 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Way to Go Obo! Enjoy the weekend everyone. I'm not one to laze around but that's my plan this afternoon/evening!
Old 07-21-2017, 04:45 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

that's so awesome Obo, congrats! Are you teaching teens now? I guess I missed the job change.

Ate pasta out with my 2 girls- the boys have been out of town so we've been splurging a little. About to watch "Hairspray" with popcorn and Bali drinks(not sure if I spelled that right but they are yummy).

Old 07-21-2017, 04:56 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm in too

12 weeks is awesome Obo - I hope you're out of the danger zone too but keep your guard up - I got blindsided a few times in the first couple of years.

If you have commitment, a good plan and a good support network to fall back on, nothing can touch you

D
Old 07-21-2017, 10:01 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Great work Obo !

What you bring to the table working with your teens is immense .

Picked up my dad to "spot" me ( as I told him ) while dragging a big broken limb out of an oak . The thick rope I found years ago washed up on the beach must have come off a shrimp boat .
Managed to get high enough off an extension ladder to rap the lower section of the limb and the truck did the rest .

After we went to the dump ,...I carried him on back . Hopefully a little engagement in the heat will keep his appetite and activity level up a bit.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:31 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I'm not sure I can go to such extreme measures to help keep my own dad's activity level up, Tops! It would probably finish him off completely watching me dangling off tree limbs! Presumably your dad knows a thing or too about such activities, so his heart rate didn't get too high?

Great stuff Obo, 3 months is a solid foundation, with everything you've learnt along the way you'll be stronger than ever

I'm hoping to finish my application today. I had such a bad day at work yesterday it's given me renewed motivation to get this done.

Fingers crossed
Old 07-22-2017, 07:13 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

It's just gone 3pm, and I've finished the application. I'll check it through again tomorrow, then hit the "submit" button on Monday.

Who knows what will happen then
Old 07-22-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

good luck, Free!!
Old 07-22-2017, 08:38 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Top- I can't believe you did that! That's sacrificial love right there. ..

I will be facing big triggers today. Trying to be honest before they hit. boys are coming home with dad from in laws. They have cousins there they enjoy being with. They get entertained to the hilt. There's trees.

The comments and discussion will be about how awesome, how much better life is there- why can't we live there ... they'll treat me with suspicion bc I don't like spending time with that part of the family ...

my husband will be loud - lots of yelling, and needy all at the same time.

It's been so peaceful the last few days ...

just sayin

but I'm committed to "leaning in to the pain" ... I am in for the bargain with you guys

day 5
Old 07-22-2017, 03:30 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Yes Izzy! 5 days is great & hope the home coming goes well
Old 07-22-2017, 06:36 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freein14 View Post
It's just gone 3pm, and I've finished the application. I'll check it through again tomorrow, then hit the "submit" button on Monday.

Who knows what will happen then
Whatever happens, ...congrats on clearing that hurdle Free !

Izzy ,...sounds like a bit of a tricky situation,.... at any rate , ....the two big things not even remotely negotiable is your sobriety (firstly ) ,..and your honesty ( to yourself ,...primarily )

We'll be here to listen if things ever get a little tenuous .
Old 07-22-2017, 10:20 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

yes, we will be here Izzy such relief in not drinking.

I brought Rosie home again today after shelter put her through temperament testing again, had the roommate go with me to get her, that went really well & she is really great when she's out & about with people & dogs but I had a friend come over this evening & as soon as he stepped foot into the house she was lunging & snarling, thank God I had her on a leash, as I'm pretty sure she would have tore into him. I removed her to my room. I'm going to ask the shelter to send someone unfamiliar to her to my house so they can see what she is doing. They have her advertised as a sweet pea who loves to cuddle, which she is towards me but I'm pretty sure my friend didn't get the feeling she wanted to cuddle. I was tempted to drink over this tonight but remembered how that would go & thankful I didn't go there. Goodnight/Day Fools
Old 07-23-2017, 12:29 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone......

Quiet weekend. Quie
Old 07-23-2017, 12:33 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

That's a good idea to ask someone from the shelter to visit - it does sound quite a strange behaviour trait. I hope Rosie is able to settle soon, Mariah.

It was a late night last night. Our visitors stayed over, and didn't seem to want to go to bed very early. Anyway, I'm tired this morning, but not hungover, as I'm sure everyone else is! I really don't like the smell of wine, clearing away the empty bottles isn't pleasant. I'm so grateful not to be drinking, it's such a blessing.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

epic. fail. BUT, I'm not giving up. Yes, I know it's been a broken record but if I don't come back and post, I'll be tempted to not try again. no excuses.

good luck with Rosie, Mariah . Sounds like you're fostering her?

I have a day full - getting cleats for football camp, taking another son to work, daughter to camp, other daughter and I are doing nails together later today ... I have coursework I'm completing ....

last nite was very different than I imagined but I was expecting the worse. the boys actually said, "maybe one or two nites for holidays but don't want to ever stay that long again" ...

that side of the family has been a constant source of drama and heartache ...

and this girl needs to learn to deal with it.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:34 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you posted, grab hold & get some traction Izzy, it is so worth it!!
Old 07-23-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

It's good that you've posted, Izzy <3

Have you investigated what it is about that situation that triggers you? Are there particular thoughts that come to the surface, thoughts that perhaps are unhelpful?

One of the lessons in "a course in miracles" is: "i am never upset for the reason I think".

Sometimes a situation can help us identify a deep rooted unhelpful belief that is holding us back from enjoying life fully. It will be interesting to hear how you plan to deal with this situation in the future, Izzy. It could be an important hurdle for you.

Our visitors left this morning, then I visited my parents, now I'm feeling really tired. I just can't cope with late nights these days. I feel a bit awkward when people visit these days. It's just weird watching people drink, being reminded of how I used to be (actually, I was even worse). It's humbling and leaves me feeling thankful for my sobriety.
Tops, your comment for Mariah, about .."..the two things that are non- negotiable: your sobriety (first) and honesty (to yourself)...." is a wonderful and wise foundation to live by. Without sobriety there's little hope of true honesty. And living a life of true honesty and personal authenticity is freedom indeed.

What a liberation that is from the anxieties we usually associate ourselves with.
Long may it continue!
Old 07-23-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

..."Tops, your comment for Mariah, about .."..the two things that are non- negotiable: your sobriety (first) and honesty (to yourself)...." is a wonderful and wise foundation to live by. Without sobriety there's little hope of true honesty. And living a life of true honesty and personal authenticity is freedom indeed."

so well said, free.

This is so true and how I used to live my life ... I remember a close friend in grad school telling me I helped him to be more "free", ... I want to be that person again but can't be that to other peeps if I'm not there myself!

a lot of who I am has been watered down ... don't even have hobbies anymore, really ... how sad!

I think I know what my main trigger is ... also, it's difficult for me to "shut it down" ... my brain ...

Exercise really helps. Did Zumba the other day and loved it. it really does make me feel better. so I need to make that a priority first thing or it will never happen.

there has been such a lack of balance for me- being home full time has been a blessing but it has isolated me in a lot of ways- especially bc of the nature of my husbands job- and that we've moved a lot ... at least I won't be the pastors wife anymore (he's going to do something else for a while), kids are doing well in school and I'll have a job- something of my own. It's a little overwhelming but I know I need it. My dad knows me very well, we are pretty close and he is so excited that I'll be working. I think he's noticed how out of whack things have become.

Those aren't reasons for drinking, of course- but all that added to the tragedy we faced 10 years ago was like the perfect storm for this wine ball to get really rolling ...

and I really do need a life change-

watching "saving private Ryan" with teenage son number 3 tonite. It's like a right of passage into manhood or something with them. Got him all ready for football today. He's such a cutie

thanks for the support fools!

xxx
Old 07-23-2017, 05:35 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you came right back Izzy

sounds to me like you need a plan as opposed to just winging it?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D