Class of April 2014 Part 31

Old 10-20-2017, 12:38 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Administrator

+1

D
Old 10-20-2017, 10:38 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

UP early this morning, I'll be visiting my dad today rather than tomorrow. OH is coming with me, to help clear out the garage, to make room for a new mobility scooter that he's ordering. Since finding this scooter (a racy red colour!), he seems to have a new lease of life. He's already started to clear out some stuff himself, and, best news of all, he's hired a cleaner to come in each week. She can't start for another 3 weeks, but when she does it will mean I won't have to clean the bathrooms any more!

Hope everyone's weekend gets off to a good start.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:39 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

I'm in too......

Hope all are well!

Old 10-21-2017, 11:50 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

well......just lost a long post explaining a roommate situation I've been dealing (not dealing) with here........major trigger for me & think it will be resolved today. First day I've had my house to myself on a Saturday morning in a couple of months. Anyway, in for the bargain & so ready to get back to my sober life....scary the hold the alcohol again has on me.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:37 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Great stuff Obo and Mariah.

Hope the situation has resolved now Mariah. It's such a treat to have the house to yourself every now and then. Hope you can relax a bit.

We managed to clear dads garage yesterday. A huge load to the recycling centre, and another load to the charity shop. The lady running the charity shop was so gracious and lovely, It made the whole trip worthwhile.
Dads happy because he can buy his scooter now. Hopefully, now when I go down to see him, well be able to get out for a nice walk - I think we'd both enjoy that a lot.

My morning exercise is pretty much back on track. I'm toying with the idea of getting a bicycle. My new job is about 6 miles away, and I'm wondering how practical it would be to cycle. I've not ridden for several years- i gave my old bike to a friend because I wasn't using it. But now I'm thinking it might be good to get back in the saddle.
I've saved so much money by not buying alcohol over the past 3.5 yrs (approx £5280!!!!) I feel fine about investing a bit of money in my fitness. I'll start to have a look around.

Have great restful Sunday all.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:13 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you sorted it out Mariah

D
Old 10-22-2017, 11:03 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Free
That should be a welcome change to take walks with your Dad motoring along !

Exciting news about your new commute possibilities on a bicycle . The rear ,.....rack ( Bontrager ) accepts several sizes of nice quick release expandable packs,....mine has a clever little feature that hides away a permanently attached yellow rain cover, I'd surely lose something like that.

Found this link to something like mine,...but it's a bit different in that it's not all black.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black

The rear packs are easy to detach quickly with the push of a button and have a shoulder strap.
It can carry food , wallet,...phone, ,....locking cable easy enough,.....but I usually ride with a small backpack if I need to carry a laptop,....or just more room for groceries.
A local bike shop may be able to fit you with a good bike to meet your needs.

I'm so spoiled with the cargo room under the seat of the Burgman scooter,
.......21 gallons I think it is.

Was pushed to get a new truck battery after mine got me a little stranded last Wed. night at 1 am coming home from work. Got 7 years outta that original 6 year factory one,...and this one is rated at 6 years ,....3 year free replacement !
The truck was drifting L a good bit coming back from Florida,....so I thought it could be corrected with a front end alignment ,....nope ,....turns out the front passenger tire was getting out of round ,....so got it switched with the full size spare ,....

The dude with the shop doing the alignment was not very considerate about the whole thing ttytt .

Anyway,....a better shop down the road here mounted the spare on the original wheel for me ,....and they will def. be getting my business whenever I spring for new tires next year. " Low price match" ,...on their website,...and the young lady confirmed their policy when I asked her about it ?!

Truck tracks straight as an arrow now on the road anyway,...so that's a good thing for new tire wear I guess.

These tires are 7 years old with 74 k miles,....still plenty of tread left too. I think these pothole ridden terrible local roads caused the problem with "radial separation" on that bum tire.

Raining like a monsoon just now .

Headed back to work for the Sun/ Mon. night thing and they still haven' t found anyone yet for Wed. nights ( as far as I know ) ,....may have to start calling in sick Wed. mornings to push things along. lo

Free,...thanks for reminding me about the 3.5 year savings !!!
totally overlook that some months !??
Old 10-22-2017, 11:14 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Hey guys-

day 4 this time. It's very rare that I get past day 2. The only times I did that before, were going to meetings and lasted until another fiasco-so that is major progress for me.

I am feeling a lot of ... things ...

Obo- sorry to hear about the school. We have a lot of issues at my school but the teachers/administrators do feel like a team. I know that I would NOT like the job if that wasn't the case. I work in a very low income school. 2 of my students are known daughters of the neighborhood drug dealers. They have lots of behavioral/learning issues ... as most of them do ... but as a special ed teacher, I get to work with them in small groups- so I think that makes it more manageable.

as far as sobriety ... mornings are clear/evenings are hard ... no big rock bottom this time except that I know with older teens that I don't have much time with them here at home and I don't want to waste it. I know I have a choice to make that will have big consequences. My drinking has gotten worse ... and I know it will only continue in that direction. After watching so many family members die from this, it's crazy that I still even struggle. Like you said, Mariah- the hold it gets on you! Yuk!

excited for your new venture, free

good to see you tops, up ...

happy/overwhelmed to be sober

I
Old 10-22-2017, 03:45 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I'm here and still clean and sober. Things are enough to make me want to drink, which is bad. Between being depressed and dealing with these lying, backstabbing POS's.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:03 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Administrator

Doesn't sound like a good situation UP - are you still looking to move out?

D
Old 10-22-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Yea, I am Dee.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Those rear bike packs look ideal, Tops. I think I could get them from the UK Amazon too. There's a really good bike shop fairly close, so I'll take a look perhaps next Saturday.

Glad you sorted out the truck issue, getting stranded at 1am couldn't have been much fun! Did you handle it with your usual grace and impeccable decorum?

UP, things sound pretty toxic for you around there. Are you able to get out to avoid the mayhem when things get too unbearable? You've tolerated it all for such a long time, I hope you find another option soon. We'll try to help offset the negativity by sending you our thoughts and positive vibes. Keep keeping on, you've accomplished so much over these months and years.

Izzy, the evenings used to be hard for me too - I started substituting elderflower cordial for wine, until I got sick of the sweetness, then I just drank water with a slice of lemon, then I just went to bed early, then I read some books, then after I'd tried all that, several weeks of sobriety had gone by and things started to Improve and the cravings weren't such an issue.

Try what ever it takes, then try something else, until you find your routine becomes normal without alcohol. It will happen, it'll just creep up on you one day, and you'll realise that you have your life back!

Mariah, how's things with you? Hope all's well with the lodger issue.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Morning all......

Had a rough day yesterday mentally. All over the shop really. The AV up and at me again on the bottle.
So jumped in the Ute and drove 2 hours down to the surf. Perfect small waves and only a few out in the water.
The change mentally was instant after hitting the cold water.

I've know for a long time the spirit in the whiskey needs to be replaced in my life with something that thrills.

My best friend hung himself on the hill up fro the point, in 2007.
Almost 10 years to the day yesterday.
It was therapeutic to be back there, I was talking to him whilst I was out in the surf.
The people you love never really die do they........?

Anyway 2 weeks sober tomorrow.
Freein, Up, Tops....it's great to have you guys solid at the top, still posting three years later.

Dee, thanks again for everything.

Izzy and Mariah, I'm right back at the start with you. There's no shame in that. It's good to see you guys writing of the treachery of the bottle. Makes me feel less alone.

Hope all are well.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Obo

I'm really glad you got through.

I'm not sure we need to replace it with something that thrills - just something that nourishes the soul instead of draining it.

Dunno about you but looking for thrills is what got me into trouble in the first place.

My lifes still exciting don't get me wrong but I'm not looking for experiences to complete me - I'm already complete.

just my 2c worth - might be food for thought.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freein14 View Post

Glad you sorted out the truck issue, getting stranded at 1am couldn't have been much fun! Did you handle it with your usual grace and impeccable decorum?

That'll be a first to describe me Free !?

It was more a comedy of errors that night ,.....first time ever to use my "roadside assistance" from the auto insurance co.
The young fellow showed about an hour and a half after the initial call to the 800 no. on the insurance card,.....which I'd made with 2 hours before knocking off. Turns out the tow truck driver had changed to a different truck at 8 and couldn't find a jump box or cables. He offered me a tow home, declined the offer but managed to catch a ride with him the 10 miles home,.....found my jump box in the emergency kit on the skiff,....rode the scooter back to work and jumped the truck and headed back home.
Was planning to ride a bicycle down to pick up the scooter the next day,...but got lucky and caught a ride with Danny Brown the next day,.....as he was heading that way,...sort of.

Now that I've had a chance to think of it ,....the best option may be to get one new driver's side front tire to match the new tire from the spare on the passenger front and replace the bum tire (currently on the spare) with the drivers side tire. Could it be any more confusing !? lo

The two back tires probably have another 20 k left on them and I could get them in a couple years ,.......and use them on the front at that time. I'm assuming the front tires wear faster, but don't know much about that sort of thing.
Years ago I'd always imagine the most gentle ways to operate the jalopies I'd invariably be driving,....to avoid repair costs. I say "gentle " ,....meaning most *gentle* on the truck itself. Tires, brakes, etc.

Anyway,..... that method practiced progressively over the years probably borders close to insanity. I never describe it in detail to anyone,....for that reason .
keepin' the cat in the bag, and all.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:16 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Thanks all for the encouragement & continuesd support. Like you said Obo, good to know I’m not alone.

Can’t imagine loosing a friend in such a way, so tragic & think he would have thought it special that you went there & talked with him Obo . Your doing great with 2 weeks.

Glad you are back here too Izzy! Like you, I’m having a hard time getting past a day or two but have the roommate situation resolved now & back to having just the one roommate who has been here a year now this month & I don’t mind him here at all, gone most of the time.

So glad you are still clean & sober Up & as Free said I’ll be sending thoughts of strength & love your way.....I hope you can move soon & have some peace

I didn’t make it this weekend but am home clean & sober tonight....
Old 10-23-2017, 08:20 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi TS....are you back to your two day a week work schedule? Hope you are having a good night. Love your adventures!
Old 10-23-2017, 11:20 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Obo, I can't imagine how painful it must be to lose a friend in that way. It must leave an incredible void in your heart and mind. I hope you soon find the deep peace that is already within you, It might take a bit of uncovering, but it's certainly there, and always has been.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:31 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Dee, that's such a wonderful truth about feeling complete whatever the external circumstances. I do forget sometimes, and that's when things start to plummet! Thank you the reminder.

Tops, I love the way you look after your machines! It's almost a spiritual vocation, spending years perfecting the art of gentleness on the brake system. It reminds me of the book "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance". I think you have a book in you waiting to come out!

You're still here, Mariah, and that means you're doing great too

I have my supervision at work today - it'll be interesting!
Old 10-24-2017, 06:43 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I have to agree about being complete the way I am. Are you still seeing the therapist for the anger, obo? I'm not completely healed from the things of my past but I've come a long way these past few years.
Life will always throw troubles your way, you need to find a healthy way to deal with it.