Notices

Class of July 2017 Support Thread Part One

Old 07-04-2017, 09:37 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skipper123 View Post
happy belated bday mandosca. I read your post about health and fitness. I am very much looking forward to getting into the best shape I can. I will be turning 50 next summer and want to look my best. All these years of heavy drinking have done a number on me. I am heavier now than I was when I was pregnant !! I have been doing a low carb diet the last week and half and for some reason my wine cravings have not been as bad? not sure if that's just in my head or its really helping with the cravings!
I had gained a little over 40 pounds over my years drinking, it got harder to lose as I got older. I've lost 45 pounds since stopping, and have kept it off. I definitely attribute it to the wine calories, as well as the junk I ate when I was drunk.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:03 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skipper123 View Post
happy belated bday mandosca. I read your post about health and fitness. I am very much looking forward to getting into the best shape I can. I will be turning 50 next summer and want to look my best. All these years of heavy drinking have done a number on me. I am heavier now than I was when I was pregnant !! I have been doing a low carb diet the last week and half and for some reason my wine cravings have not been as bad? not sure if that's just in my head or its really helping with the cravings!
Thank you Skipper, and happy early birthday to you! That's great that your cravings have been less intense with the low carb. I guessthat going low carb really helps with your blood sugar and all the damage we did to our pancreas and blood sugar regulation. I've been on many diets and have probably every diet cookbook ranging from Keto to Vegan but I have never actually stopped the drinking long enough to see if the diets really work lol. I know I feel best doing low carb/Paleo and eating very clean. That's what I'm going to try do starting today. But.. this time if I do mess up and have a small piece of bread or something, I'm not going to beat myself up about it, just going to keep trying. :-)
Old 07-05-2017, 04:06 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
I had gained a little over 40 pounds over my years drinking, it got harder to lose as I got older. I've lost 45 pounds since stopping, and have kept it off. I definitely attribute it to the wine calories, as well as the junk I ate when I was drunk.
Oh it definitely gets harder as you get older, I'm only 35 and I can already tell the difference! 45 pounds!! That's awesome!! May I ask how long you've been sober? Did you try low carb or something else or was it just the lack of wine calories? :-)
Old 07-05-2017, 04:45 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone. I'm ashamed to say I drank yesterday. But I can't give up this time. It's only a matter of time before I have a heart attack or stroke if I keep this up. I hate living like this. But it's not really living at all.

I'm also looking forward to losing weight. I was sober for 3 days last week and lost 7 pounds! But then put it all back on at the weekend.

I'm going straight home today, get a shower, put on my pajamas, make some food and check in here tonight.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you considered making a recovery plan ER?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

D
Old 07-05-2017, 05:56 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hi all. I'd like to join this class. Was very briefly in the March class but didn't stick around once I'd relapsed. The intervening four months have not been pretty, but hey, I I'm back and ready to rumble. Day 1 btw
Good luck everyone!
Old 07-05-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I'm in. Never was a heavy drinker but the past 4 years I've drank too frequently and too much. Go 1 or 2 days, then drink and feel guilty and horrible about myself. Father died from drinking and that has always scared me. Done shameful things while drunk and I just don't want to be that person. My health means a lot to me.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hi everybody. I'm trying again. I'm in for July. Today is day 1 for me. I have failed more times than I can count. My mind and body are screaming at me to stop. I feel so much better after a week or two and then think I can have just one. That 1 drink is the end for me. I cannot stop after that. I know I cannot drink anymore. I need to get myself healthy. I will post on here before I drink. Let's do this.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good morning July 17ers! Welcome to all the newcomers and to those of you returning for a fresh start. Fall 99 times, get up 100. Never stop trying!
Old 07-05-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Yesterday's sober look at my life turned to full blown clinical depression when I woke this morning. People think it's sadness. The real stuff, the worst case, is simply feeling nothing. No emotion. That's why cutters do what they do. Anyway, I'm simply hiding and I got in on Tuesday with my therapist.

I don't tend to drink when I'm not well like this. For one thing I drink when I'm amped up, not when I'm down. Another thing, I will become suicidal with this level of depression and booze. After the first few it's all I can think about. So I won't be drinking.

V
Old 07-05-2017, 09:23 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I made it through yesterday without a drink. I didn't feel very well but I think that could have been because of my diet. Day 2 today, I'm not drinking alcohol today.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:51 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Well done everyone! Day 17 for me. I'm going out for a big birthday bash this weekend. It will be my first party sober. Not looking forward to all the social anxiety I'm going to feel, but I have no desire to drink whatsoever. I'm loving sober life too much
Old 07-05-2017, 09:59 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Day 1 after 3 weeks. If I can just get that 90 days. ARGH!! I will not give up. I will try as many times as it takes. I'm still proud of myself. So here I go again.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hello to everyone. I decided that July 2nd would be my last ever getting sober date. I am new to this site and am more committed now than I have been in a long time. Going back just isn't an option anymore. Good luck to everyone in the July 17 class. May we all be posting about our 1 year of sobriety this time next year.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:52 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
fgo

hi everyone, im back. it's always the first drink that gets me. i was in the augest 2016 class. I had 3 months. it took this long for me to come back. i read sr almost every day while drinking. i wanted to not drink so bad. i didnt post beacause i felt so bad. i could have had 11 months. now im on day 1.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!
Finished off my first day with (surprisingly) a few hours of sleep. Probably due to eating comfort food all day and night, but hey, sleep does not come easily my first few days/weeks without wine so I'll deal with any calorie excess after I get through this.
In addition to eating nonstop I cut out the morning cup of coffee, too much caffeine just amps up the anxiety. For now I'll stick with a light iced tea. During the hot, humid summer I don't find coffee as refreshing anyway.

If it's not raining early tomorrow morning I hope to get a walk in. Hopefully! in these early days it's hard to know where I'll be from one hour to the next - mentally, physically, emotionally.

I'm on my phone so I will do my best to post and participate in this thread frequently but you'll have to forgive my lack of sentence structure, correct grammar and so on.. x
Old 07-05-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Coming to the end of day 18 for me, watching Wimbledon

Very tired, actually all this week I've felt very tired. I don't know if it's just I'm walking more, I'm getting up earlier and being more productive. My brain is more switched on so I'm probably concentrating more too. Not the worst thing to be.

Looking for to this weekend and hitting my day 21!
Old 07-05-2017, 12:25 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Day 1 for me. Needed a place to make my decleration. Good luck all.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Hi Everyone. I'm ashamed to say I drank yesterday. But I can't give up this time. It's only a matter of time before I have a heart attack or stroke if I keep this up. I hate living like this. But it's not really living at all.

I'm also looking forward to losing weight. I was sober for 3 days last week and lost 7 pounds! But then put it all back on at the weekend.

I'm going straight home today, get a shower, put on my pajamas, make some food and check in here tonight.
Nothing to be ashamed of as long as you came back ready to try again! I'm sure everyone is different but for me, everytime that I quit and failed, my periods of sobriety got longer and longer and the binges got shorter and shorter. So to me, even though drinking is never the answer, I can at least say that I've spent more time sober then drinking and that says progress. Two years ago when I quit I would last two weeks sober then binge for a couple months, not every night but still too much. The last time I quit I had two months sober but only problem drank for a couple of weeks. Point being, as long as you keep trying!

7 lbs in 3 days is awesome! Can you imagine what you could lose in a month? Only one way to find out... :-)
Old 07-05-2017, 02:07 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Good morning July 17ers! Welcome to all the newcomers and to those of you returning for a fresh start. Fall 99 times, get up 100. Never stop trying!
"Fall 99 times, get up 100". Love that! You always say such inspiring things!