Old 07-04-2017, 04:06 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome EasyRider

Have a great day everyone

D
Old 07-04-2017, 04:23 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Beautiful 4th, along with some very inspirational readings. Enjoy the day all.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:39 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I'm starting my recovery today. It is day 1. I spent most of the past weekend drinking and hungover. My past efforts at quitting alcohol have been weak and ineffective. I haven't really put my heart, soul, and commitment needed into quitting alcohol. My plan is simple....each morning when I wake up, log into SR and make a promise to everybody that I will not drink alcohol today. I'm going to keep my word and my goal is that it will build some accountability. I've bee indecisive on quitting for over 5 years now and I'm tired of it. Alcohol is really holding me back in life. I don't drink everyday but when I do drink I drink heavily, blackout, and my hangovers last for days. I never really feel like myself again until about a week later after drinking.

Thank you to everyone being here and I look forward to our journey together. I am here to support you in your sober journey too. Life is difficult but we do have each other to build friendships with. Let's do this!
Old 07-04-2017, 07:05 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I'm in . Have had many first days and so glad to be sober once again! July is a tough month for me because of my birthday and vacation! Good luck to everyone !!
Old 07-04-2017, 10:33 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
You don't sound shallow at all, just grateful for some of the blessings in your life. You worked hard to get where you are, and should be proud of it!
I am also a thrift store lover!
Thanks Delilah!
Old 07-04-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday 4th everyone! Beautiful day here. Getting ready to hit my sales. Let's make it a sober day! Have a great one friends.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:49 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kona5k View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm starting my recovery today. It is day 1. I spent most of the past weekend drinking and hungover. My past efforts at quitting alcohol have been weak and ineffective. I haven't really put my heart, soul, and commitment needed into quitting alcohol. My plan is simple....each morning when I wake up, log into SR and make a promise to everybody that I will not drink alcohol today. I'm going to keep my word and my goal is that it will build some accountability. I've bee indecisive on quitting for over 5 years now and I'm tired of it. Alcohol is really holding me back in life. I don't drink everyday but when I do drink I drink heavily, blackout, and my hangovers last for days. I never really feel like myself again until about a week later after drinking.

Thank you to everyone being here and I look forward to our journey together. I am here to support you in your sober journey too. Life is difficult but we do have each other to build friendships with. Let's do this!
Hey kona5k, welcome! Sounds like a good plan for accountability, I am going to aim for the same and am hoping to make some solid friendships here as well.

Like you I have been quitting and going back for years. I didn't drink every night but was a black-out drinker and got into plenty of unpleasant situations with my "black-out mouth". I hate the person I turn into when I drink like that, the beast comes out, but after a period of sobriety I would think I could introduce just a little and tried many ways to control my consumption over the years, always failing.

"The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death." ~ from Chapter 3 of the AA big book

I choose life today. Good work everyone on another day sober!
Old 07-04-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober81 View Post
I just found out ethanol is a class 1 carnagenic, the same as asbestos. I'm disgusted its taken me to the age of 35 to find that out.
That IS disgusting, but good if it helps anyone to stay away from it. In order to quit smoking I made myself completely disgusted by it to where I never even had many cravings and it's been 9 months. Maybe listing all of the ways alcohol is disgusting and makes me disgusting as a person will help in the beginning since I tend to think in terms of glamorizing alcohol and only the good times with it when I am craving, not the bad.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hey everyone I got sober on the 1 July. I'm joining this thread to talk to other sober people. Congratulations to everyone who has posted so far.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Well done, and best wishes to you, sweetichick
Old 07-04-2017, 02:20 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

In!
Again. *cringe
Old 07-04-2017, 05:43 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
Hey everyone I got sober on the 1 July. I'm joining this thread to talk to other sober people. Congratulations to everyone who has posted so far.
Same, today is Day 4. Let's do this! Feeling really fresh today. Kids are home sick so it'll be a lazy day for me.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:19 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Kona, Skipper, Sweetichick. & starstarstar

No need to feel self conscious - we're all in this together

D
Old 07-04-2017, 06:35 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by skipper123 View Post
I'm in . Have had many first days and so glad to be sober once again! July is a tough month for me because of my birthday and vacation! Good luck to everyone !!
Today was the last day of a mini vacation with my husband and July 1st was my birthday. I made it through the whole thing sober. It was my first sober birthday in a long time and I am so glad I did it. You can do it!
Old 07-04-2017, 06:36 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kona5k View Post
Hi everyone,

Welcome Kona! :-)
Old 07-04-2017, 06:37 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sweetichick View Post
Welcome Sweetie!
Old 07-04-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by starstarstar View Post
In!
Again. *cringe
You keep on trying, that's what matters!
Old 07-04-2017, 06:45 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Well I made it through this long holiday weekend and I am so glad I did. I just wish I wasn't so darn tired. I'm lucky if I make it to 8:30 before I'm in bed. I feel bad because I know my almost 11 year old is probably trying to figure out why Mama is so boring now. We use to spend a lot of summer nights by the fire and Fourth of July we usually put on a small firework display and have some family over. I just didn't have it in me this year and to be honest, sitting in front of the fire without drinks just seems so boring now. Oh well, I'm sure it will pass and in the meantime I am getting tons of stuff done. I need to start planning some summer activities with my youngest. My oldest is 18 and has plans of his own... :-)

Anyways Congrats to everybody for making it another day sober, and if you didn't, just keep trying. Oh and welcome to all the newcomers!
Old 07-04-2017, 06:51 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Oh by the way, I imagine that there may be some others like me that are really looking forward to the health benefits of quitting.. maybe losing a few extra pounds, incorporating a new exercise program, changing their diet? Well diet, nutrition and health are one of my favorite things to talk about and starting tomorrow I am going to be trying to lose the extra liquor weight and more importantly get my health back to what it once was. If anyone else is in the same boat please let me know, I'd love to chat and be able to encourage one another... :-)
Old 07-04-2017, 07:14 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

happy belated bday mandosca. I read your post about health and fitness. I am very much looking forward to getting into the best shape I can. I will be turning 50 next summer and want to look my best. All these years of heavy drinking have done a number on me. I am heavier now than I was when I was pregnant !! I have been doing a low carb diet the last week and half and for some reason my wine cravings have not been as bad? not sure if that's just in my head or its really helping with the cravings!