Notices

Class of July 2017 Support Thread Part One

Old 07-16-2017, 04:20 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Good afternoon all

Welcome and new folks, well done those hanging on in there. To those struggling - just take baby steps.

We CAN be here next July celebrating a year of sobriety x
Old 07-16-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midton View Post
I've just finished work, eaten and am now heading off soberly to bed.

In all honesty I almost caved and drank. It's wickedly humid here and I was exhausted during work. Those were going to be my excuses. In the last hour of work I felt 80%\20% that I would drink. I guess that the thing that got me through was the experience of being here before.

I knew that if I just waited the cravings would pass. I knew that if I had my, generally healthy, evening meal the cravings would pass. And I knew that by jumping on here the cravings would pass.

And the cravings have indeed passed and I'll wake up tomorrow pleased with myself. I also know that, at least for me, the cravings become less intense after the first week(end). Next time the battle won't be so tough.
Originally Posted by Bib View Post
Wrigley, BBL, Stubbs, Midton, lovehoops -

If you've ever watched Harry Potter you'll see that bit when they face their worst fears but learn a spell (riddikulus) that makes their fear turn into something comical. I've started doing it with the voice in my head, it's talking to me and sometimes I listen but now I'm calling it for what it is (I even pretend to put a spell on it). Want to join it, it's fun to laugh at yourself? So far today;

'You're really tired, that makes you a crap dad - if you drank you'd be much better' - RIDDIKULUS

'What about Christmas?' (its July!) - RIDDIKULUS
Love this bib, ty.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:05 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Welcome to anyone new and so glad to see many posting..

Busy day today with family all home. Will probably go to the beach with my husband. The weekdays are the real test for me. I isolate and drink alone !

Stay strong!!!
Old 07-16-2017, 06:03 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Such a great group, with such great insights. Feeling energetic this Sunday morning after a sober Saturday night, babysitting the grand-pups. Woke up with two dogs in my face demanding to be let out. Popped right out of bed and am ready to tackle the day. Did receive a daunting e-mail in my Inbox yesterday. Fish fry in two weeks for the group of marching band boosters that support my son's school band. The last get-together included sampling different types of bourbon from the host's liquor cabinet. I really enjoy this group and think that I can pull this off without drinking, but the thought of it gave me a pause.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Hey people! Boston was wonderful! I love big cities! Awesome to have my son back. Zero cravings. We ate whole lobsters. No one told me about that gross green stuff inside. Ick!! But the tail and claw meat was delicious! I LOVE Boston. I'll post a few pics later. Keep on keeping on people! I read alot of my SMART recovery handbook this weekend. Worked on my triggers and how to handle urges. It helps. Also I have one of those lil rubber bracelets that says SOBER AF. It's a constant reminder. I bet when strangers see it they are like...whaaat? Happy Sunday!
Old 07-16-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Morning' folks!

Great to wake up clear-headed! Quick breakfast, 17-mile bike ride. Now to get ready for church. More yard-work this afternoon, and daughter to the mall. I know what needs to be done, and drinking doesn't fit in!

Carry on!
Old 07-16-2017, 08:41 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Enjoying my coffee this morning ecstatic I didn't drink. It's great to be a part of this group.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:51 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  
Bib

Feeling really crap today. Given up on the day and feel so guilty for not being there for my kids and my wife. In reality I've been doing this for 18 years whilst drunks but being fully conscious has its draw backs. I feel very guilty

But I know I won't drink today. My first, short term defence policy haskicked in - I've gone to bed (4.50pm).

Doctors tomorrow to check up on my meds and press her for counselling on the NHS...

Emotions are sooooooo over rated 😟
Old 07-16-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Hi I'm Day 2 and it's such a struggle, but it's ok I know it can only get better. I am new to this site, and was told to post on this thread, hopefully I've done it right! Hope everyone else is ok, this is so hard!!!
Old 07-16-2017, 12:25 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Welcome Allyson! Just keep posting and reading. It is hard, but the connection helps!
Old 07-16-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Hello all. Happy Sunday! I'm on day 8 today. Went to church. .now heading to the gym. .. Crazy to think this time last week I was in bed after a bender hating life..feeling crappy...etc.. Today I am grateful and energized. Sobriety kicks ass!

Proud of ya Stubbs. Ur kickin boootay!
Old 07-16-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  
Bib

Going to bed sober. Even after feeling rubbish that's the prize I crave

Goodnight class see you tomorrow for another sober day
Old 07-16-2017, 02:24 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Feeling really crap today. Given up on the day and feel so guilty for not being there for my kids and my wife. In reality I've been doing this for 18 years whilst drunks but being fully conscious has its draw backs. I feel very guilty

But I know I won't drink today. My first, short term defence policy haskicked in - I've gone to bed (4.50pm).

Doctors tomorrow to check up on my meds and press her for counselling on the NHS...

Emotions are sooooooo over rated 😟
Bib, so sorry you are having such a hard time, especially today. Do you want to talk more about what you are feeling? You know you have a group here ready and willing to "listen" anytime. If not, just know that people care if you ever do want to share more.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Going to bed sober. Even after feeling rubbish that's the prize I crave

Goodnight class see you tomorrow for another sober day
Well done bib. Hope tomorrow, things seem brighter for you.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CuteNGayYay View Post
Hello all. Happy Sunday! I'm on day 8 today. Went to church. .now heading to the gym. .. Crazy to think this time last week I was in bed after a bender hating life..feeling crappy...etc.. Today I am grateful and energized. Sobriety kicks ass!

Proud of ya Stubbs. Ur kickin boootay!
Thanks much Cute! Happy day 8 for u. Sobriety does rule....
Old 07-16-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Had a great wkend. Just took my grands home, always makes me a lil blue. They lived with me for a very long time, and those were hard times, but it has been an adjustment not having them here. Maybe taking a walk at the park later on. This time last week, I was starting my last binge session. So grateful that Im sober today.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:43 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Allyson1986xxx View Post
Hi I'm Day 2 and it's such a struggle, but it's ok I know it can only get better. I am new to this site, and was told to post on this thread, hopefully I've done it right! Hope everyone else is ok, this is so hard!!!
Welcome Allyson. Great to have you here.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  

The start of day 9 and a national holiday to boot.

When in the supermarket I pass those free food samples I never ever try any. My head is not turned in the slightest. I nonchalantly walk buy it without a second thought. I don't feel deprived, lured or remotely tempted. I react the same way the elephant does to a fly, as in there is none.

Now when that supermarket sample is wine let's just say my reaction is not quite the same. I do feel deprived. I feel taunted and I feel lured. It ruins my moment and quite a few moments after.

This is my thought of the day.

I don't even have a replacement for alcohol to guise as a kick-back drink. Previously I drank water, coffee and alcohol. Now I'm let with only two, tasteless water and too strong coffee. Even tea, which I used to love, has made me immediately nauseous in the last 5 years or so.

Bah humbug.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you feel better bib.
Congrats on your week Stubbs

why not think of it, not as a deprivation, but the opportunity to try new drinks Midton?

D
Old 07-16-2017, 09:09 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Back to day 1.. I'm really not having a good run atm. The last few weeks ive had 4 days off each week but across the other 3 days i've been drinking about 50 standard drinks.
I'm really feeling defeated atm..
Please give me strength.